[Guide & Software] Complete Intel Bad Axe 2 Walkthrough with Software

weaksauce12

918 posts in this topic

Hah! :dev: At some point in my first Tests of efi i am too run into this nasty problem. Migration Assistent and then no way to go farther with the correct password, something messed up, i can't remember how i solved it.

:censored2: Yeah, life is sometimes hard, but remeber: you where there! After a break you will succeed if your drive is fresh. The GUIDE you mentioned isn't specifically for the badaxe2, so remember that you have to install efi8, then efi7, restart with f8 to look if efi7 was successful and then after a restart with your other startsystem efi8 again. This order (together with making bootable) is important (at least for me), i never succeeded with efi8 alone (some seems to have success with efi8 alone on ba2, i'm not, so i stay with my procedere which works for me), it seems that from the start with efi7 something badaxe-secific gets injected and only then could efi 8 work. Installing osx works before or after installing efi.

I would guess it was the install of efi 7 that leads after that to a succesful efi8 install..., try again...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :dev:

Here we go I got it and I have the steps required to do it.

Booted into my good Leopard hard drive.

I used YOUR guide to install boot_v7_guid_only.

I then used YOUR guide to make the partition bootable.

Then I restarted and booted to the Kalyway DVD.

From there I launched terminal and followed the guide that I posted the link to to install boot_v8.

Then I quit terminal and installed Kalyway WITHOUT any of the boot options selected.

Then after reboot I held down the F10 key and selected the new GUID install and I am in!

BWAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :dev:

Thanks theotherone for taking the time and sticking with me throughout this painful process, but now that I understand the process it is not that hard or difficult and I know I could repeat it which is what I am going to do with my MBR partitioned drive to make sure I can do it again successfully.

At least now I know this can be done.

P.S. by the way for anyone thinking about this, after I installed Kalyway, I followed the exact steps I outlined before which is to do Taruga's sound patch, followed by installing nvInject 0.2.1, and using the modified kext with my cards VRAM,totalsize corrected which I had saved to a USB drive to make that part easier.

LAN worked out of the box again and now I just need to see if I can get the 5.2 update and the proper AppleSMBIOS.kext installed to clear up the system profiler info.

OK Final Edit:

I was able to succesfully duplicate my efforts.

I now have 2 drives booting GUID/efi_v8

This is good news so far.

Sauce,

What problems/bugs are you having with your efi_v8 install? I will try to replicate them and give you my feedback.

Also, how do I know for sure I actually have efi_v8 working on my system>? where can I look to confirm?

I know that I am fur sure installed and running on GUID partition scheme's but have no idea how to determine if I have v8 working properly.

Final Final Edit:

Just a quick note,

After I got both drives up with GUID and efi_v8 I went into the extensiond folder of the first drive (the one I was NOT booted into at the time) and I backed up the important kext files which were AppleHDA.kext, nvInject.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext then as I stated before I updated to 10.5.2 with Devins guide and then did the grpahics update.

After the 10.5.2 update I dragged all 3 of those kexts to kexthelper and installed them that way, repaired permissions and was instantly back in the saddle with no other steps required.

Right now I am breaking a Terrabyte RAID zero from the Windows side and will be adding those drives to the Mac side using an MBR partition scheme so that the drives are available from both XP and Mac.

One thing to know which is WAY cool is that dual booting between Mac and Windows is simple with the F10 button after post, then you just select the drive with whichever OS you want to boot to and you are in.

No special procedure and you dont have to go into bios, or do teh chain-0 thing.

Simple.

Thanks.

congrats, Team Scream, i hoped for it and you finally made it! :)

Yes! I too didn't understand the troubles with dual booting. For us, f10 is our friend to boot from which drive you ever want, no need for GRUB and such stuff, HDs these days are so cheap that bootloaders like GRUB, etc. look like a blast from the past, really DOS-like, IMHO.

Regarding the EFI v7 first then EFI V8 second. It is just redundant. If you do it in this order it should work.

1. Format drive GUID.

2. Install OS.

3. Unmount volume and make drive bootable. Either boot from an external drive or do it from the install dvd and go into terminal from there. * you will get an error * but continue on with the commands (f 2, w, q) and it will still make it bootable.

4. Unmount volume again and then do the EFI V8 only.

5. Add needed kexts and delete another one.

6. Pound f8 on restart and boot in verbose mode to see if it hangs. If it starts to boot then you are on your way. If it hangs on something then that is a clue to where one problem might be.

Most of this is from memory as I did it when Leopard was first released and then again when Netkas released EFI v8. My system is completely stable with retail install dvd and 3 kexts added and one deleted.

Have fun with it because that's what it's all about. The reward is worth the effort in the end.

Cheers

Regarding the EFI v7 first then EFI V8 second. It is just redundant. If you do it in this order it should work.

1. Format drive GUID.

2. Install OS.

3. Unmount volume and make drive bootable. Either boot from an external drive or do it from the install dvd and go into terminal from there. * you will get an error * but continue on with the commands (f 2, w, q) and it will still make it bootable.

6. Pound f8 on restart and boot in verbose mode to see if it hangs. If it starts to boot then you are on your way. If it hangs on something then that is a clue to where one problem might be.

Most of this is from memory as I did it when Leopard was first released and then again when Netkas released EFI v8. My system is completely stable with retail install dvd and 3 kexts added and one deleted.

Have fun with it because that's what it's all about. The reward is worth the effort in the end.

Cheers

This worked for me, first time I've got EFI 8 working, thank you!

I used a working Kalyway 10.5.1 install on 1 HD & a blank HD. I also have the Original disk image of 10.5. A couple of pointers I needed:

1. Format the drive FAT32 with Ultimate Boot CD. (Disk Utility seems to leave stuff hanging around when you erase)

2. Boot to your working install.

3. Format drive GUID.

4. Mount MacOSXInstallDVD.dmg. In terminal cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages then open OSInstall.mpkg

5. Let the installer finish.

6. IMPORTANT. In Finder, right-click on the partition you just installed and Get Info. Under Sharing & Permissions make sure 'Ignore ownership on this volume' is NOT ticked.

7. Navigate to your new install /System/ Library/Extensions and remove AppleEFIRuntime.kext AppleSMBIOS.kext AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext & IONetworkingFamily.kext

8. Copy AppleSMBIOS.kext IONetworkingFamily.kext & dsmos.kext from Weaksauce12's ba2_pack.

9. Chmod -R 755 AppleSMBIOS.kext IONetworkingFamily.kext & dsmos.kext

10. Chown -R root:wheel AppleSMBIOS.kext IONetworkingFamily.kext & dsmos.kext

11. Unmount volume and make drive bootable in terminal.

12. Unmount volume and use EFI.sh to install EFI 8

11. Reboot.

1. Format drive GUID.

2. Install OS.

Cheers

Hi WizBang

Would you mind telling which kext you removed and which 3 you installed to get the retail DVD working?

Did you have to mod the retail DVD at all ?

OK, here is another "hitch in my giddy up"

I downloaded the latest SuperDuper and attempted to do a clone and then reboot from the clone.

The entire process went smoothly right up to the point where it wanted to reboot to the new clone.

Below is the log from SuperDuper which outlines where it failed.....just the final phase actually, the rest of the log was uneventful.

| 02:47:47 PM | Info | PHASE: 3. After Successful Copy

| 02:47:47 PM | Info | ...ACTION: Making Clone bootable

| 02:47:47 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Blessing OS X System Folder

| 02:47:48 PM | Info | Did not bless Mac OS X System Folder on Clone because it does not exist.

| 02:47:48 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Blessing OS 9 System Folder

| 02:47:48 PM | Info | Did not bless Mac OS 9 System Folder on Clone because it does not exist.

| 02:47:48 PM | Info | ...ACTION: Restoring Spotlight state on Clone

| 02:47:48 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Restoring Spotlight search indexing state on Clone

| 02:47:48 PM | Info | PHASE: 4. And Finally...

| 02:47:48 PM | Info | ...ACTION: Rebooting from Clone

| 02:47:48 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Setting startup disk to Clone

| 02:47:48 PM | Info | Could not set Clone as the startup disk because it does not contain a valid Mac OS X System Folder.

| 02:47:48 PM | Error | ****FAILED****: result=256 errno=22 (Unknown error: 0)

Finally, I noticed another couple of very strange things in Hackintosh that may need addressing for sure.

Go to your System Preferences and then click on "StartUp Disk" and at least in my case on all 3 Hackintosh systems I have currently, no startup disk appears, not even when I have the Kalyway DVD inserted and mounted.

This is further complicated in Disk Utility when trying to restore an image file, everytime I try to select a valid image file to restore from (cloned the install DVD) I get an error on the BadAxe2, I am going to try and see if I get the same error on the P5K-VM system and also on the Octa-Pro system.

OK, here is another "hitch in my giddy up"

I downloaded the latest SuperDuper and attempted to do a clone and then reboot from the clone.

The entire process went smoothly right up to the point where it wanted to reboot to the new clone.

Below is the log from SuperDuper which outlines where it failed.....just the final phase actually, the rest of the log was uneventful.

| 02:47:47 PM | Info | PHASE: 3. After Successful Copy

| 02:47:47 PM | Info | ...ACTION: Making Clone bootable

| 02:47:47 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Blessing OS X System Folder

| 02:47:48 PM | Info | Did not bless Mac OS X System Folder on Clone because it does not exist.

| 02:47:48 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Blessing OS 9 System Folder

| 02:47:48 PM | Info | Did not bless Mac OS 9 System Folder on Clone because it does not exist.

| 02:47:48 PM | Info | ...ACTION: Restoring Spotlight state on Clone

| 02:47:48 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Restoring Spotlight search indexing state on Clone

| 02:47:48 PM | Info | PHASE: 4. And Finally...

| 02:47:48 PM | Info | ...ACTION: Rebooting from Clone

| 02:47:48 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Setting startup disk to Clone

| 02:47:48 PM | Info | Could not set Clone as the startup disk because it does not contain a valid Mac OS X System Folder.

| 02:47:48 PM | Error | ****FAILED****: result=256 errno=22 (Unknown error: 0)

Finally, I noticed another couple of very strange things in Hackintosh that may need addressing for sure.

Go to your System Preferences and then click on "StartUp Disk" and at least in my case on all 3 Hackintosh systems I have currently, no startup disk appears, not even when I have the Kalyway DVD inserted and mounted.

This is further complicated in Disk Utility when trying to restore an image file, everytime I try to select a valid image file to restore from (cloned the install DVD) I get an error on the BadAxe2, I am going to try and see if I get the same error on the P5K-VM system and also on the Octa-Pro system.

Team Scream: there is no need to "set bootable" from SuperDuper or "make Startupdisk", it's not needed and wont work, Starting from the clone DOES work, however! Try.

Setting StartupDisk on Hackintoshes on System Preferences dosen't work either, this works only on REAL MACs from APPLE, no chance with hackintosh because there is no open firmware on them. So forget about this. But SuperDuper works great, restoring from Disk Utility is not needed and also is very slow, so stay with SuperDuper but without "make bootable" and "set as startupdisk".

cheers

hi,

i`m guessing this topic will not be relevant to a BadAxe (D975xbx) board? I`m trying to see if anyone can confirm if the bad axe 2 is in some way either similar to the bad axe 1 for installing leopard or if any of the patches/fixes will be applicable to both motherboards? Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks guys.

Hi WizBangWould you mind telling which kext you removed and which 3 you installed to get the retail DVD working?Did you have to mod the retail DVD at all ?
No mod needed for the retail dvd. The Baron lists the kexts needed and install procedure in the post above yours. The only thing else I added was Titan for my specific video card. I deleted AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext otherwise you won't be able to boot. Enjoy.
This worked for me, first time I've got EFI 8 working, thank you!
You got it! Cool. Follow Netkas guide for the update to 10.5.2 and you are good to go.

Team Scream: there is no need to "set bootable" from SuperDuper or "make Startupdisk", it's not needed and wont work, Starting from the clone DOES work, however! Try.

Setting StartupDisk on Hackintoshes on System Preferences dosen't work either, this works only on REAL MACs from APPLE, no chance with hackintosh because there is no open firmware on them. So forget about this. But SuperDuper works great, restoring from Disk Utility is not needed and also is very slow, so stay with SuperDuper but without "make bootable" and "set as startupdisk".

cheers

Ok thanks theotherone,

can you tell me how to prepare this disk that I am going to use as the clone?

Do I set it up as GUID or MBR to make it a bootable clone?

Or are you suggesting that I need to have a woking install of Leopard on yet another hard drive to be able to restore using SuperDuper?

My deisre is to have a good clone of my main boot drive with all of my applications installed and registered so that in case I screw something up, I can boot (to something) and restore the cloned image to a fresh drive and be back up and running with minimal hassle.

I keep a good working clone of my XP drive for this very reason, all of my applications are installed, registered and ready to go so that at any time I can pop in the cloned drive and never miss a beat.

For that reason I keep all of my working files (video, images, project backups) on a seperate drive so getting back to work after a failure is almost painless.

The of course I just reformat the failed drive and clone that to the (now) working drive and viola, I have another perfectly good clone on the shelf in case of emergency.

Trust me, this has saved me so many hours and I have had to use this method on 2 occasions in the past.

I will never comit a machine to my work environment unless I have that kind of redundancy built in now.

On XP there is nothing better or easier than XXClone.

hi,

i`m guessing this topic will not be relevant to a BadAxe (D975xbx) board? I`m trying to see if anyone can confirm if the bad axe 2 is in some way either similar to the bad axe 1 for installing leopard or if any of the patches/fixes will be applicable to both motherboards? Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks guys.

Don't know, but if you already have it, it wouldn't hurt to try! :(

Ok thanks theotherone,

can you tell me how to prepare this disk that I am going to use as the clone?

Do I set it up as GUID or MBR to make it a bootable clone?

Or are you suggesting that I need to have a woking install of Leopard on yet another hard drive to be able to restore using SuperDuper?

My deisre is to have a good clone of my main boot drive with all of my applications installed and registered so that in case I screw something up, I can boot (to something) and restore the cloned image to a fresh drive and be back up and running with minimal hassle.

I keep a good working clone of my XP drive for this very reason, all of my applications are installed, registered and ready to go so that at any time I can pop in the cloned drive and never miss a beat.

For that reason I keep all of my working files (video, images, project backups) on a seperate drive so getting back to work after a failure is almost painless.

The of course I just reformat the failed drive and clone that to the (now) working drive and viola, I have another perfectly good clone on the shelf in case of emergency.

Trust me, this has saved me so many hours and I have had to use this method on 2 occasions in the past.

I will never comit a machine to my work environment unless I have that kind of redundancy built in now.

On XP there is nothing better or easier than XXClone.

Prepare your Disk to Clone to as HFS-Plus formatted and GUID, thats all. I do a clone all evening from my startup-raptors to an external FW-WD-MyBook Drive. Works like a charm for me since SuperDuper 2.5. As a additional Security i clone my Startup-Disk to a Diskimage on another Drive.

Prepare your Disk to Clone to as HFS-Plus formatted and GUID, thats all. I do a clone all evening from my startup-raptors to an external FW-WD-MyBook Drive. Works like a charm for me since SuperDuper 2.5. As a additional Security i clone my Startup-Disk to a Diskimage on another Drive.

Yes but here is the question.

Have you tried to boot to your cloned "Startup-Disk" and been successful ?

I have cloned my startup disk at least 5 times now and no matter what I do I cannot boot from it.

SuperDuper returns NO errors during the clone, and I have even gone so far as to install efi-v8 and make my clone bootable after the fact and still no love....no boot.

The only thing I have been able to successfully do thus far has been to install Leopard to an external USB drive and make that bootable using your method and iGuru's method from osx86scene.com and that I finally made work after many hours of trying to do it.

Nothing I have tried results in a complete cloned image of my startup disk which is then able to be restored and then boot without some kind of error, in fact, I cannot do a restore at all and then have the disk that I restored TO be bootable.

There is always a failure of some kind which results in me having to start from ZERO all over again.

I will take it a step farther and tell you this.

When you compare the system folder of your working startup disk to a SuperDuper cloned image or disk, there are always 2 additional files in the SuperDuper clone...for example my current (working) System folder indicates 65,465 files (2,670,558,143 bytes) and my (just did it today) SuperDuper Cloned drive system folder indicates 65,734 files

(2,667,212,078 bytes) so there is something wrong there.

There are 2 more files in the SuperDuper clone yet there are close to 3 million fewer bytes in the total data count.

I am not sure but I think this may have something to do with why the SuperDuper cloned drive is not bootable and cannot be made bootable.

Let me know if your clone is bootable and what steps you took to get it there, also let me know if you have successfully restored from a SuperDuper image to a drive you were then able to boot from and what you did to make that happen.

I am not convinced that these systems can be made redundant, or safe from catastrophic failure.

Thanks theotherone. :)

I am not convinced that these systems can be made redundant, or safe from catastrophic failure.

I know it's not as fast but I just use DiskUtility as I've had no problems with that. I just boot to my ten gig partition on an external drive and make a backup image of my system disk from there. I restore the image from there as well. I've done it several times to make certain it works. Not fast, but it does work.

Just a quick update, I'm working on bug fixing. I really only have weekends free to work on it due to full-time school plus work. Spring Break comes up next month so I'll have a week off to hammer on things more. I'm hoping to release an EFI v8 + 10.5.2 package soon, provided the bugs are fixable.

Good work to everyone on the EFI v8 work! I'm glad things are moving along. Again I haven't given up on the BA2 project, just been uber busy :rolleyes:

Just a quick update, I'm working on bug fixing. I really only have weekends free to work on it due to full-time school plus work. Spring Break comes up next month so I'll have a week off to hammer on things more. I'm hoping to release an EFI v8 + 10.5.2 package soon, provided the bugs are fixable.

Good work to everyone on the EFI v8 work! I'm glad things are moving along. Again I haven't given up on the BA2 project, just been uber busy :P

Right on Sauce,

Just a note, I just got confirmation today that my Intel DX38BT (Bone Trail) motherboard and my new Yorkfield QX9650 have been shipped and I should have them by Friday.

It will be interesting to see if Hackintosh will work on the Bone Trail.

If not, gaming on the PC side will be fun....just a waste..

I have big hopes for Bone Trail and Hackintosh.

Right on Sauce,

Just a note, I just got confirmation today that my Intel DX38BT (Bone Trail) motherboard and my new Yorkfield QX9650 have been shipped and I should have them by Friday.

It will be interesting to see if Hackintosh will work on the Bone Trail.

If not, gaming on the PC side will be fun....just a waste..

I have big hopes for Bone Trail and Hackintosh.

Good Luck :P Welcome to the x38 family..haha Can't wiat to read the results.

On a side note, do you guys happen to know if there's a way you can identify which kernel (like 9.2) and EFI (like v8) you're on? I'd like to know what kernel I'm using since I'm not ever sure what I have running anyway.

uname -a

in terminal for kernel version.

ioreg -l -w0 -p IODeviceTree | grep efi

tells you if EFI is installed. Not sure how you check which version.

hmmm..... I have been wondering about this as well and this is what my system returns when I typed that code in terminal:

+-o efi <class IOService, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>

| | "name" = <"efi">

backup your kext, replace it with this one (v1.07), repair permissions. i used the kext helper for this. press on reboot F8 at the very beginning, just after the intel bootagent, then you will see the darwin bootloader, then type "-f" to force the driver to load. since then it works for me

Where did this kext come from (its been modified with a totally incorrect IOPCIClassMatch).

Im not saying an older version won't work (it probably does) but there are flaws in the addition of the JMicron PCI ID (its unnecessary as the PCI class matches ANY AHCI device)

I just installed the new 9.2.0 kernel from Netkas (with fixed shutdown) and it seems to have solved my problems:

http://netkas.org/?p=57

My only problem now is that it broke Time Machine (both the kext and the string). But Ethernet works! CS3, Office 2008, VMware Fusion all work just fine. No weird -600 errors so far. I've only been on it an hour or so, but so far so good...I'll test it out over the next few days and report back!

Update: Changed disks, reformatted, Time Machine works.

Is it really so that the onboard sound (that where I plug my front connection) is not working? In windows its fine but no sound when running osx.. Is there ever gonna be any update that makes this soundcard fully working?

Is it really so that the onboard sound (that where I plug my front connection) is not working? In windows its fine but no sound when running osx.. Is there ever gonna be any update that makes this soundcard fully working?

Unless someone writes a driver specifically for our onboard sound card, then no - the sound card will never fully work. The onboard Sigmatel is simply not supported under Leopard by default. However, the problem is not unsolvable. My recommendation is to buy a dedicated sound card. I have a Griffin iMic ($30) that works great and can be controlled from the keyboard. You have several options (PCI, PCIe, USB, Firewire), so you shouldn't have any trouble finding something that will fit in your system budget and meet your needs. Taruga is working on AppleHDApatcher 2.0, so I'm interested to see if he gets anything working for our Sigmatel 9274D onboard sound cards:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859

uname -a

in terminal for kernel version.

tells you if EFI is installed. Not sure how you check which version.

Thanks for this, that was easy! :jerry: I had 9.2 and I didn't even know it!

hmmm..... I have been wondering about this as well and this is what my system returns when I typed that code in terminal:

+-o efi <class IOService, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>

| | "name" = <"efi">

I also received that for the EFI code in terminal, what does all that mean? Does that mean I have EFI installed? Because I know I did install EFI v8, I was hoping it would identify which version I had to confirm things.

Two issues with the Netkas Kernel so far:

1. Sleep broke

2. SuperDuper freezes

I'm not sure if the Sleep issue is due to my hacked video card or not, so I'll swap it out later and try a different card. SuperDuper freezes on the last step (restoring Spotlight state). Going to try the new SMbios27 in conjunction with the Netkas kernel to see if that does the trick.

Update: Despite freezing on the last step, SuperDuper DID make a successful bootable copy. I cloned my 250gb to my 500gb and it worked just fine; the cloned disk boots up like normal. Sleep is definitely broken; usually if it's a video card issue, I can at least hear the speaker noise when I adjust the volume, but that didn't happen. I will still try a different video card later.

Update 2: Installed SMbios27; did not fix sleep but seems to have fixed SuperDuper - it didn't freeze at the end this time.