[Guide & Software] Complete Intel Bad Axe 2 Walkthrough with Software

weaksauce12

918 posts in this topic

Hi@all!

Still one of the best threads in the forum! Congrats weaksauce! ;)

So i would like to speak about the status of my install and will make some remarks to the latest posts to this thread.

All HDs in and on my system are working very well (several of them as RAID 0 and RAID 5 on the RocketRAID 3520 Controller, very stable, very fast, no problems so far. Since about a week i'm back at 3GHz with my Q6600 on Air, also very robust without problems running sveral days without shooting down. Update to 10.5.2 ala netkas-instructions worked, graphics-update thereafter the same, no problem thanks to my 7600GT. I tried the new smbios on one of my test-HDs, it seems to work but i didn't see any advancements to the smbios in kalyways 10.5.1 so i didn't integrate it in my main-install. Since i have 8 SATA-Ports on my RR3520 Controller i'm in the comfortable position to have 2 SATA-Ports on the BadAxe left, so i bought this adapters for connecting eSATA to SATA they worked very well, i tried others without luck, so maybe someone needs this as well (keep in mind that your HD-chain in the BIOS gets shuffled after connecting a eSATA-Drive, it's best to conect the Drive before booting...

I currently gave up on zfs-formatting because it has issues and isn't the best bet for my new RR 3520 RAID-Controller, but i will definitely go back to it after 2 or 3 iterations of the releases.

My preffered install-method after the last 8 weeks and several re-installs is with EFI 8 is as follows (some others mentioned this as well):

install EFI 8 on the freshly formatted GUID-HD, set partition bootable-flag with fdisk, install EFI 7 on same drive,

install (from the commandline) OS X Kalyway on the same Drive but without choosing a bootloader (no more needed since i installed it for myself), reboot with F8 to look if drive is bootable and then reboot and install efi 8. -> all from a second HD which has already Leo installed. Has worked several times for me without probems. On another rig with ASUS P5W DH Deluxe (same chipset) installing from Kaly-DVD with EFI8 and GUID worked witout doing the extra steps which are needed for the badaxe..

Since Super-Duper 2.5 is here i needed no more fresh installs because cloning my bootable Hds worked very well and fast (Thanks weaksauce for his detailed tests and work in this regard!).

10.5.2. probs (weaksauce,TeamScream): the only problem that i had was that my system wan't shutdown yesterday, but this was only 1 time, so i hope that this isn't repeating today, but SuperDuper runs and clones under 10.5.2 (bootable) like with 10.5.1 for me (i'm on BIOS 2809). I have no app-specific issues so far. After all i'm think there are issues, like TeamScream said, several native macs seems to have issues as well with 10.5.2.

where to go from here? I wonder what to do next. I think about 2 things:

graphic card: exchanging a 8800GT for my 7600GT, but do i need this? I didn't play games at all (OK, Bejewelled), do i see then the differences between the 7600 and the 8800GT? Or do i just burning money??

MotherBoard: I'm looking for a modern Motherboard and think a natural candidate could be the X38-based ASUS P5E WS Professional with alot of SATA-Ports and headroom for the faster 4cores to come, it also supports DDR2 memory and seems to be very compatible as one can read in the forum. But does this make sense without buying a faster processor? My Geekbench and xbench scores are already very good as is??

WOW theotherone !!!

You have it ALL figured my friend!

I would really LOVE to get this BadAxe system working like yours is, and I do agree that the BadAxe is a very good board and is worth keeping.

I too am going to upgrade some hardware just because it is what I do for a living a lot of the time so I need to get into X-38 just to be reasonably current.

That being said, I would really really appreciate it if you would take the time to put together the steps needed to get to where you are now in a little more detail.

I am still really new to the osx86 world so I fall short in a lot of areas, however if I could get to GUID and EFI-V8, I would be insanely happy.

It is really hard to bounce around from post to post and try to figure out what to do and in what order to get it all working properly.

I think I need info on how to properly set the boot flag on the drive using f-disk and then how to properly install efi-v8 by itself and then efi-v7 and then efi-v8 again on a hard drive before I even install the OS ?

Thanks so much for posting your results man you should be happy with your accomplishments thats for sure.

Hi@all!

Still one of the best threads in the forum! Congrats weaksauce! :)

So i would like to speak about the status of my install and will make some remarks to the latest posts to this thread.

All HDs in and on my system are working very well (several of them as RAID 0 and RAID 5 on the RocketRAID 3520 Controller, very stable, very fast, no problems so far. Since about a week i'm back at 3GHz with my Q6600 on Air, also very robust without problems running sveral days without shooting down. Update to 10.5.2 ala netkas-instructions worked, graphics-update thereafter the same, no problem thanks to my 7600GT. I tried the new smbios on one of my test-HDs, it seems to work but i didn't see any advancements to the smbios in kalyways 10.5.1 so i didn't integrate it in my main-install. Since i have 8 SATA-Ports on my RR3520 Controller i'm in the comfortable position to have 2 SATA-Ports on the BadAxe left, so i bought this adapters for connecting eSATA to SATA they worked very well, i tried others without luck, so maybe someone needs this as well (keep in mind that your HD-chain in the BIOS gets shuffled after connecting a eSATA-Drive, it's best to conect the Drive before booting...

I currently gave up on zfs-formatting because it has issues and isn't the best bet for my new RR 3520 RAID-Controller, but i will definitely go back to it after 2 or 3 iterations of the releases.

My preffered install-method after the last 8 weeks and several re-installs is with EFI 8 is as follows (some others mentioned this as well):

install EFI 8 on the freshly formatted GUID-HD, set partition bootable-flag with fdisk, install EFI 7 on same drive,

install (from the commandline) OS X Kalyway on the same Drive but without choosing a bootloader (no more needed since i installed it for myself), reboot with F8 to look if drive is bootable and then reboot and install efi 8. -> all from a second HD which has already Leo installed. Has worked several times for me without probems. On another rig with ASUS P5W DH Deluxe (same chipset) installing from Kaly-DVD with EFI8 and GUID worked witout doing the extra steps which are needed for the badaxe..

Since Super-Duper 2.5 is here i needed no more fresh installs because cloning my bootable Hds worked very well and fast (Thanks weaksauce for his detailed tests and work in this regard!).

10.5.2. probs (weaksauce,TeamScream): the only problem that i had was that my system wan't shutdown yesterday, but this was only 1 time, so i hope that this isn't repeating today, but SuperDuper runs and clones under 10.5.2 (bootable) like with 10.5.1 for me (i'm on BIOS 2809). I have no app-specific issues so far. After all i'm think there are issues, like TeamScream said, several native macs seems to have issues as well with 10.5.2.

where to go from here? I wonder what to do next. I think about 2 things:

graphic card: exchanging a 8800GT for my 7600GT, but do i need this? I didn't play games at all (OK, Bejewelled), do i see then the differences between the 7600 and the 8800GT? Or do i just burning money??

MotherBoard: I'm looking for a modern Motherboard and think a natural candidate could be the X38-based ASUS P5E WS Professional with alot of SATA-Ports and headroom for the faster 4cores to come, it also supports DDR2 memory and seems to be very compatible as one can read in the forum. But does this make sense without buying a faster processor? My Geekbench and xbench scores are already very good as is??

Yeah I've had the restarting/shutdown problem where it just hangs when shutting down, but I think that's related to the smbios27. As far as the graphics card goes, I'd say no - stick with your 7600GT. Add more storage or something if you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket. I would say stick with the Bad Axe 2 for now unless you want to go 8-core. You can get a nice Penryn-capable board like the DFI Lanparty, but then you will need a Penryn chip to really take advantage of it, and when those quad-core chips are released they're going to be more expensive. I don't plan on ever upgrading the Q6600 out of my BA2 - I'll go with a whole new system before doing that.

Yeah I've had the restarting/shutdown problem where it just hangs when shutting down, but I think that's related to the smbios27. As far as the graphics card goes, I'd say no - stick with your 7600GT. Add more storage or something if you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket. I would say stick with the Bad Axe 2 for now unless you want to go 8-core. You can get a nice Penryn-capable board like the DFI Lanparty, but then you will need a Penryn chip to really take advantage of it, and when those quad-core chips are released they're going to be more expensive. I don't plan on ever upgrading the Q6600 out of my BA2 - I'll go with a whole new system before doing that.

Sauce.

No lunk whatsoever with trying to restore froma cloned image.

My BadAxe is now down again until I reinstall 10.5.1 then upgrade to 5.2

I have made clones from 3 different tools now with ZERO success in restoring from a cloned image which is really troubling to me.

I can get CopyCatX to do a successful clone with no errors by booting to another partition. In this case I created 2 partitions on a single drive and installed/updated to 5.2 on both partitions.

Then I booted into the 1st partition so that I could clone using CCX without having to boot from their boot disck which doesnt seem to work on the BadAxe (it may not work on Hackintosh at all because of the modified mach-kernel).

Anyway, once booted into the primary partition I wanted to clone the 2nd partition which seemed to go fine with no errors using CCX.

Then I rebooted, and verified that both of my partitions were still bootable which they were.

Then I mounted the clone image I created with CCX.

Then (while boorted into the primary partition) I tried to do a restore using disk utility (no go) it failed on teh verify restore image step.

So I booted back into the primary partition and launched CCX, and started to use the restore funtion which has a check box for "erase destination" which I did so that I could be sure that the restore went onto a clean partition.

Once I did that the restore failed.

So I think that CCX assumes you are using a GUID partition scheme and will ultimately fail for anyone not GUID.

Bottom line, SuperDuper fails, CCX fails at least on MBR and CCC fails as well.

So for me, it appears that before I can go any farther I need to get my system running efi-v8 and GUID like you and theotherone appear to have done.

If you could outline the steps required to get to the OS install process I think I can probably take it from there, but getting to GUID and installing efi-v8 is where I seem to be lost.

Remember I only have a Kalyway disk, and I think I now have a good iAtkos v1 disk but have not yet tried to install using it so help a brother out here with some steps PLEASE!

I want to make this BadAxe2 work properly.

Thanks bro(s).

Alamoa,I am not sure why you cannot get sound working?I have the same system everyone else has and my sound worked perfectly.I installed Kalyway 10.5.1 as indicated in my earlier posts, then upgraded to 10.5.2 using Devins guide.Each time I installed the sound patch from Weaksauce's guide and USB stick drive files.Have you thought about downloading the guide and files again to get a virgin sound patch file?I wonder if that would work for you?It might be worth a try?Guedes JrI had the same problem when I firest updated to 5.2Here is what I did:I tried a few different AppleSMBIOS.kext files from macdotnub CLICK HERE and settled in on the one at the very bottom of the page titled " MP - Model Info, Boot ROM etc. set to Mac Pro Info"This one worked for me and took away the "hack.Int.Osh" from system profiler, I also used kext helper to install it and it went perfectly so you might want to try that maybe and see if it fixes your problem?

Nice hint Team Scream! THANKS! :-)

made two more steps in my successful install:

1) Installed kalyway_10.5.2_kernels.mpkg, which fixed the long boot loading time after upgrading to 10.5.2

2) Installed macdotnub AppleSMBIOS.kext, which fixed the Hack.int.Osh boot ROM Version.

Wooo.... I'm loving my Hackitosh! this build is superstable and I'm already working with Final Cut and CS3 at full speed :-)

CAN'T THANK ENOUGH GUYS!!! @Weaksauce thanks a lot again for all the time you're putting into this and sharing with us!

Ps. By the way, I finally convinced my boss to buy a $20k Mac Pro for me!!! (the only one amongst 300 PCs here)... So, in a few weeks will be reporting comparisons on how my $2k BadAxe compares to the biggest Mac Pro available :-)

If you could outline the steps required to get to the OS install process I think I can probably take it from there, but getting to GUID and installing efi-v8 is where I seem to be lost.

Remember I only have a Kalyway disk, and I think I now have a good iAtkos v1 disk but have not yet tried to install using it so help a brother out here with some steps PLEASE!

I want to make this BadAxe2 work properly.

Thanks bro(s).

I'm not offering any advice on EFI v8 since my installation is buggy right now :o Again BJMoose's EFI v8 install guide seems to work for many people, so I'd suggest going that route for now, at least until I release my own guide.

@Team Scream: OK, here we go for the EFI 8 Install:

First make sure you have already a bootable 10.5 Installation (MBR will be OK).

You also have to have a Folder on your HD with the EFI-Files in it (the USB-Stick PATCHER from the weaksauce install are OK).

Open the File "EFI.sh" with a Texteditor (Texedit is OK, i use Textmate).

Open Diskutil and Format your Drive with the GUID-Option.

Leave Diskutil open

Now start your shell (Terminal).

Type sudo -s

Type your password

Type diskutil list

Locate your GUID-Drive (Disk 0 with the Partition Disk 0s1 for example)

Go back to Diskutil and unmount your GUID-Drive

(you can also type "Diskutil unmountDisk disk0") in Terminal if Disk 0 is your GUID Drive, but using Disk Utility works the same.

Go back to your Texteditor with the open "EFI.sh" File.

On the Line "PATCH" alter the path to your "pc_efi_v80"-Folder.

on the next Line "EFI" type your diskpartition, (for example /dev/rdisk0s1)

on the next Line "DRIVE" type your Drive (for example /dev/rdisk0)

on the Line "./startupfiletool" make shure "./boot_v8" is there.

Save your File "EFI.sh" but leave it open!

Make sure that your GUID Disk is still unmounted

Drag the File "EFI.sh" from the Finder to the open Terminal-Window and type return to start installing EFI 8.

Look at the output from Terminal, are there any errors like path not found or else then go back to the already open Textfile "EFI.sh" and correct the errors, save the file, unmout the GUID-Drive again and drag the File again to the Terminal and type return. don't rebboot yet, type "n" for that.

If this first install of EFI 8 (from the output in terminal) has worked without errors then you have to make your partition bootable.

Your disk should now be mounted, Still in Terminal type:

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX (X = 0 in my case)

fdisk answers: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory

Enter 'help' for information

fdisk: 1> update

Machine code updated.

fdisk:*1> f Y (Y = the 'Y' in your rdiskXsY…in my case it was 2)

Partition 2 marked active.

fdisk:*1> w

Device could not be accessed exclusively.

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] y

Writing MBR at offset 0.

fdisk: 1> q

Now go back to the already open Textfile "EFI.sh", in the Line ./startupfiletool

replace "./boot_v8" with "./boot_v7_guid_only", save the File, unmount your GUID-Disk again, drag the EFI.sh file again into the Terminal and type return, your Disk is now ready for install. reboot and type f8 to see if your disk gets listed, or go and install

Kalyway from the comandline with this commands:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages (enter)

open osinstall.mpkg (enter)

(replace the "Mac OS X Install DVD" with the Name of the Kalyway DVD). Make sure to disable the bootloaders in the Kalyway-options. Install should be finish in about 5 to 10 minutes.

After that you should be able to start from your new EFI 7.2 Disk. If all went well then start again from your MBR-Disk and install EFI 8 again like written in the first place. Now it works, is bootable and with SuperDuper clonable.

If you have still problems install efi again and make the fdisk-procedere again, this all has worked for me several times without problems. Please let me know how it is working for you.

Hi Leoopardoo,Could you explain your attached files (where they need to be installed, what file dependencies they have, etc.) and how you were able to compile them? Also, if you wouldn't mind, what .kext's are you using that are not vanilla in your system?Thanks in advance.-M
I believe that only non-vanilla kexts I'm using currently are appleSMBIOS.kext, dsmos.kext and ALCinject.kext As soon as I find our efi strings for audio I can get rid of ALCinject.kextAnyway, I'm still not sure if this will help me with any further os x updates available via software update. I believe that issues related with 10.5.2 were intentionally made by apple and were focused against osx86 community (correct me if I'm wrong).
Hi Leoopardoo,Could you explain your attached files (where they need to be installed, what file dependencies they have, etc.) and how you were able to compile them? Also, if you wouldn't mind, what .kext's are you using that are not vanilla in your system?Thanks in advance.-M
I believe that only non-vanilla kexts I'm using currently are appleSMBIOS.kext, dsmos.kext and ALCinject.kext As soon as I find our efi strings for audio I can get rid of ALCinject.kextAnyway, I'm still not sure if this will help me with any further os x updates available via software update. I believe that issues related with 10.5.2 were intentionally made by apple and were focused against osx86 community (correct me if I'm wrong)....and sorry for double reply. Having some issues with my connectivity. ;)

Ok this whole EFI thing is all very confusing but I know I am running it as in the about this mac system profile if you have Boot Rom version Hack.int.0sh you are running EFI but my question is how do you know what version you are running?

Also if you have set up your partition with MBR can you clone your disk and boot from it to recover a full install or do you have to set up with GUID to do this?

Lastly if you are running with MBR can you convert over without doing a complete reinstall?

Thanks

Thank you so much theotherone,

I really appreciate this write up.

It appears that I will have to install another drive to do this the right way, my BadAxe system currently has 2 boot drives installed, one is my Vista/XP drive which works perfectly well and has all my Windows {censored} on it so I dont want to risk that drive.

I do however have another drive I can install in place of that drive so that I at least remove it from the system to keep it safe while I perform this operation.

That is not somtething I can do tonight as I just got home from a 14 hour day at work.

However Saturday I will do it and most certainly let you know of my success or failure.

You guide looks perfectly straight forward and I will give it a shot on Saturday morning for sure.

I would do it tomorrow but I have another 14-16 hour day ahead of me for Fridays work load.

I just dont want to start the process without a clear mind and enough rest so that I dont lose my patience or my temper.... ;)

Thank you so s much for taking the time to write this part up..

Sauce ...sorry for thread jacking bro, I hope this series of posts is in harmony with your mega thread....it is after all BadAxe2 related for certain.

You guys all ROCK on this forum and in particular this thread.......this is Brainiac level stuff and I love being in the mix with you guys no doubt.... I just wish I was a little more hip to the flow of it all but I will get there with your most genius tutelage.

Sauce ...sorry for thread jacking bro, I hope this series of posts is in harmony with your mega thread....it is after all BadAxe2 related for certain.

I don't see any problem, it's related to the BA2 so it's fine by me :P

I'm having mixed results with SuperDuper on 10.5.2 with a networking string. With the SI RAID driver installed, it successfully copies to my RAID set, but when I boot up to the RAID set all I get is a blinking line. It also successfully copies to a single hard drive and allows me to boot that single backup drive. So, either 10.5.2 does now allow for a RAID boot from this card, or the RAID driver is not suitable for booting in 10.5.2. The RAID set itself works fine as a secondary drive with the RAID driver installed, so that's what's funny about it. The setup worked fine on 10.5.1.

If anyone needs me, I'll be spending this weekend troubleshooting :D

backup your kext, replace it with this one (v1.07), repair permissions. i used the kext helper for this. press on reboot F8 at the very beginning, just after the intel bootagent, then you will see the darwin bootloader, then type "-f" to force the driver to load. since then it works for me

AppleAHCIPort.kext.zip

I have everything working ok now MINUS being able to boot without the kalyway dvd and (this is badaxe2 related)

I cant get audio to work when i dual boot in windows xp, looks like everything else is ok. could it be if maybe i grabbed a sp3 corp version of xp, that it wont support this board and audio? is there a known driver that will work?

If you can't boot without your install DVD in the drive, then you haven't formatted your hard drive correctly - i.e. it has no bootblock or hasn't been "blessed". You're using the DVD's bootblock and then switching control to the HD.

Patrick

i can't find anything mentioning a bootblock that I understand. is this correctable thru disc utility? the disk utility says it is bootable.

First make sure you have already a bootable 10.5 Installation (MBR will be OK).

You also have to have a Folder on your HD with the EFI-Files in it (the USB-Stick PATCHER from the weaksauce install are OK).

Open the File "EFI.sh" with a Texteditor (Texedit is OK, i use Textmate).

DID THIS NO PROBLEM

Open Diskutil and Format your Drive with the GUID-Option.

Leave Diskutil open

DID THIS NO PROBLEM

Now start your shell (Terminal).

Type sudo -s

Type your password

Type diskutil list

DID THIS NO PROBLEM

Locate your GUID-Drive (Disk 0 with the Partition Disk 0s1 for example)

Go back to Diskutil and unmount your GUID-Drive

(you can also type "Diskutil unmountDisk disk0") in Terminal if Disk 0 is your GUID Drive, but using Disk Utility works the same.

DID THIS AND My disk is listed as:

/dev/disk1

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *111.8 Gi disk1

1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS Leopard-2 111.5 Gi disk1s2

Go back to your Texteditor with the open "EFI.sh" File.

On the Line "PATCH" alter the path to your "pc_efi_v80"-Folder.

on the next Line "EFI" type your diskpartition, (for example /dev/rdisk0s1)

on the next Line "DRIVE" type your Drive (for example /dev/rdisk0)

DID THIS but on Line "EFI" I typed "rdisk1s1" and for the Line "Drive" I typed "rdisk1"

on the Line "./startupfiletool" make shure "./boot_v8" is there.

Save your File "EFI.sh" but leave it open!

Make sure that your GUID Disk is still unmounted

Drag the File "EFI.sh" from the Finder to the open Terminal-Window and type return to start installing EFI 8.

DID THIS HOWEVER, here is what the output said:

Writing startupfiletool and boot file..

startupfiletool: opendev(/dev/rdisk1s1): Permission denied

Yee it worked. lets move on!

Writting boot1h file...

dd: /dev/rdisk1s1: Permission denied

OK that worked. One last step!

Writing one last important boot file!

dd: /dev/rdisk1: Permission denied

YAY were done!

Were Done.. Do you want to reboot?

Reboot? [Y/N]

SO this would seem to be a problem no?

Also by the time I decided to quit and ask for help, I have done these steps 4 times, each time with different results, and I have installed the OS 3 times and each time I get a blinking cursor no boot.

Look at the output from Terminal, are there any errors like path not found or else then go back to the already open Textfile "EFI.sh" and correct the errors, save the file, unmout the GUID-Drive again and drag the File again to the Terminal and type return. don't rebboot yet, type "n" for that.

If this first install of EFI 8 (from the output in terminal) has worked without errors then you have to make your partition bootable.

OK on the first 3 tries, I did the steps below as well and still ended up with a blinking cursor after installing the OS AND REBOOTING:

Your disk should now be mounted, Still in Terminal type:

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX (X = 0 in my case)

fdisk answers: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory

Enter 'help' for information

fdisk: 1> update

Machine code updated.

fdisk:*1> f Y (Y = the 'Y' in your rdiskXsY…in my case it was 2)

Partition 2 marked active.

fdisk:*1> w

Device could not be accessed exclusively.

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] y

Writing MBR at offset 0.

fdisk: 1> q

Now go back to the already open Textfile "EFI.sh", in the Line ./startupfiletool

replace "./boot_v8" with "./boot_v7_guid_only", save the File, unmount your GUID-Disk again, drag the EFI.sh file again into the Terminal and type return, your Disk is now ready for install. reboot and type f8 to see if your disk gets listed, or go and install

Kalyway from the comandline with this commands:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages (enter)

open osinstall.mpkg (enter)

(replace the "Mac OS X Install DVD" with the Name of the Kalyway DVD). Make sure to disable the bootloaders in the Kalyway-options. Install should be finish in about 5 to 10 minutes.

After that you should be able to start from your new EFI 7.2 Disk. If all went well then start again from your MBR-Disk and install EFI 8 again like written in the first place. Now it works, is bootable and with SuperDuper clonable.

DID ALL OF THIS AS WELL THE FIRST 3 TIMES BUT STILL ENDED UP WITH A BLINKING CURSOR.

If you have still problems install efi again and make the fdisk-procedere again, this all has worked for me several times without problems. Please let me know how it is working for you.

LOST IN SPACE AND NO CLUE WHATSOEVER.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT TO DO HERE.

SCREAM

Writing startupfiletool and boot file..

startupfiletool: opendev(/dev/rdisk1s1): Permission denied

Yee it worked. lets move on!

Writting boot1h file...

dd: /dev/rdisk1s1: Permission denied

OK that worked. One last step!

Writing one last important boot file!

dd: /dev/rdisk1: Permission denied

YAY were done!

Were Done.. Do you want to reboot?

Reboot? [Y/N]

It looks like this is your error and the reason for the blinking cursor. Do you install to a sata drive, it may be that this error comes from trying to install to a Parallel-ATA-Drive, but i'm not absolutely sure about this! Are you using terminal from within a completely installed system or did you try to install EFI form the Kaly-DVD from within the DVD-Terminal with the efi-files on a USB-Drive? I got this message also but only from within the terminal when trying to do the efi-thing out of the DVD but not from within a already mbr-installed system.

It may help to format the HD several times with other Formats (FAT, MBR,...) and then again with HFS Plus(GUID).

Also, are you doing sudo -s before trying this procedere? I think it's needed.

Its absolutely needed to eliminate this permission denied-errors or else you could'not install efi.

Try also to set the permissions on all the efi-files to read/write all or so...:(

One of this Factors should be the problem. Other then that i couldn't help, the instructions i laid out here are mainly from bjmoose's tutorial from which several succeeded with efi and the badaxe2. It may also that this wan't work for all badaxe-boards out there.

There is also a install procedere for a install from the retail Leo-DVD for the badaxe2 which works for several people but which i never was able to accomplish with my board, so, some kind of woodoo or whatever. :)

So there IS a reason that weaksauce didn't include EFI 8 in his Tutorial, it may not work for all ba2-boards or may only work unreliably for some. For me it works absolutely safe and reproducable without problems. Even with 10.5.2 i have nearly zero problems. At the time of this writing i have 2 TFTs on my 7600GT, on one running EyeTV 3.01 and coda, on the other Browsing, Mail, Netnewswire, dld'ing 400 MB from amazon s3 with Transmit and controlling my new toy which arrived today (a new MacBook with 2.0 GHz Core2Duo over iChat) for which i have traded a macmini, so it's the perfect companion for my BA2-based powerhouse. ;)

It looks like this is your error and the reason for the blinking cursor. Do you install to a sata drive, it may be that this error comes from trying to install to a Parallel-ATA-Drive, but i'm not absolutely sure about this! Are you using terminal from within a completely installed system or did you try to install EFI form the Kaly-DVD from within the DVD-Terminal with the efi-files on a USB-Drive? I got this message also but only from within the terminal when trying to do the efi-thing out of the DVD but not from within a already mbr-installed system.

Yes I tried from my already installed 10.5.2 drive, I followed the instructions to the letter.

Yes i am installing to a SATA drive

Also, are you doing sudo -s before trying this procedere? I think it's needed.

Yes I am definitely doing that step, it asks for my password and then returns the #bash32 line.

So there IS a reason that weaksauce didn't include EFI 8 in his Tutorial, it may not work for all ba2-boards or may only work unreliably for some. For me it works absolutely safe and reproducable without problems. Even with 10.5.2 i have nearly zero problems. At the time of this writing i have 2 TFTs on my 7600GT, on one running EyeTV 3.01 and coda, on the other Browsing, Mail, Netnewswire, dld'ing 400 MB from amazon s3 with Transmit and controlling my new toy which arrived today (a new MacBook with 2.0 GHz Core2Duo over iChat) for which i have traded a macmini, so it's the perfect companion for my BA2-based powerhouse. :)

Well here is the really painful part of it all.

After posting the reply last night, I actually tried 3 more times to make it work and then went to bed. Well when I got up this morning, I tried to follow these instructions: CLICK HERE TO SEE

Well after following those steps, I succesfully booted into the GUID partitioned drive with efi-v8 installed and Kalyway installed, however I was such a dumbass that I decided to try to use the settings migration assistant, this was after it already did the "Welcome" animation and asked me to set my keyboard up, well.....that was a HUGE mistake, because it then went to a password screen and no matter what I typed in it would not let me past the password screen even though I know absolutely 100% the password was correct.

So decided to try and reinstall Kalyway, and that went fine except it took me right back to the password screen again and would not accept the password. so I had no coice but to reformat and partition the drive which knocked me back to ground zero and now no matter what I do I cannot get a GUID partition with efi-v8 to boot.

I am so freaking tweaked right now that I dont know what to do, I had it in the bag, it was going to work and to save a few seconds I tried the settings migration assistant and screwed the dog.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

writing zeros to the drive now and I am going to try and find the magic combination again that made it work since I know it will work, its just that between your instructions and those I linked above there is a series of steps that have to be just right......man I am pissed off.

@lindmar:

AFAIK, it depends on your graphic-card and the interfacing between her and your BigTV, mkv-files could be played with VLC on OS X.

Cool. I would love to double this as a HTPC.

I am seeing some great MKV files coming down the pipe and would love to play these direct.

Well here is the really painful part of it all.

After posting the reply last night, I actually tried 3 more times to make it work and then went to bed. Well when I got up this morning, I tried to follow these instructions: CLICK HERE TO SEE

Well after following those steps, I succesfully booted into the GUID partitioned drive with efi-v8 installed and Kalyway installed, however I was such a dumbass that I decided to try to use the settings migration assistant, this was after it already did the "Welcome" animation and asked me to set my keyboard up, well.....that was a HUGE mistake, because it then went to a password screen and no matter what I typed in it would not let me past the password screen even though I know absolutely 100% the password was correct.

Hah! :dev: At some point in my first Tests of efi i am too run into this nasty problem. Migration Assistent and then no way to go farther with the correct password, something messed up, i can't remember how i solved it.

So decided to try and reinstall Kalyway, and that went fine except it took me right back to the password screen again and would not accept the password. so I had no coice but to reformat and partition the drive which knocked me back to ground zero and now no matter what I do I cannot get a GUID partition with efi-v8 to boot.

I am so freaking tweaked right now that I dont know what to do, I had it in the bag, it was going to work and to save a few seconds I tried the settings migration assistant and screwed the dog.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

:( Yeah, life is sometimes hard, but remeber: you where there! After a break you will succeed if your drive is fresh. The GUIDE you mentioned isn't specifically for the badaxe2, so remember that you have to install efi8, then efi7, restart with f8 to look if efi7 was successful and then after a restart with your other startsystem efi8 again. This order (together with making bootable) is important (at least for me), i never succeeded with efi8 alone (some seems to have success with efi8 alone on ba2, i'm not, so i stay with my procedere which works for me), it seems that from the start with efi7 something badaxe-secific gets injected and only then could efi 8 work. Installing osx works before or after installing efi.

writing zeros to the drive now and I am going to try and find the magic combination again that made it work since I know it will work, its just that between your instructions and those I linked above there is a series of steps that have to be just right......man I am pissed off.

I would guess it was the install of efi 7 that leads after that to a succesful efi8 install..., try again...