Any X2 users experience stutter like syndroms?

shoman24v

208 posts in this topic

In regard to the person above who said that idlehalt=0 worked for them, it also worked for me. I had a first installation which did not need any kernal flags but every time I installed after that I have had to use idlehalt=0 or cpus=1. cpuidle=0 did not work for me where as the others did. Also I wanted to keep dual core speed so I use idlehalt=0.

That's right, idlehalt=0 is the right kernel flag, but will not work alone. I mean, probable FSB overclocking solves the problem.

I can't change the multiplier on my motherboard as it's locked in BIOS to 10. I tried to increase the FSB to 215, but that didn't help. Any suggestions? idlehalt=0 didn't do it.

You have to downclock the multiplier, not to upclock, so try 9x and you can set fsb youll like to.

I have an Intel 2.86 Duo Core, and am experiencing the same issue. I've tried all of the above steps, and none of them work. Any more ideas?

" Intel 2.86 Duo Core" <---- whats that?...:D Intel has no stuttering issue, or at least myself I did not hear about.

I noticed something on the wiki HCL. All the Athlon 64 X2s have SSE3, but most people report running on SSE2 only and getting kernel panic with SSE3. What is the deal with that ? possibly related ?

I currently have a 3000+ venice, which I recently gave to my bro.

Now I have 2 choices for CPU:

Athlon 64 4000+ or

Athlon 64 X2 4200+ ?? (just a bit more expensive)

And I want OS X ... worth risking for it and getting X2 ?

I noticed something on the wiki HCL. All the Athlon 64 X2s have SSE3, but most people report running on SSE2 only and getting kernel panic with SSE3. What is the deal with that ? possibly related ?

I currently have a 3000+ venice, which I recently gave to my bro.

Now I have 2 choices for CPU:

Athlon 64 4000+ or

Athlon 64 X2 4200+ ?? (just a bit more expensive)

And I want OS X ... worth risking for it and getting X2 ?

My personal opinion: SSE3 kernel should be patched with cpu patch, probable is not patched.

estek: My X2 3800+ runs fine, and acording to JaS SSE3 is used but it just don't show up in the kernel:

"it is the kernel that is not showing sse3 , but it is being used by your systems,sse3 emulation is only used if your system does not support sse3"

Also remember to buy a motherboard that has tha possibility to change the multiplier since 10x gives you stuttering when trying to run both cores.

OK i didn't know anything about this multiplier thing.

My motherboard does change multipliers, but you mean I have to lower it !?

I am getting a 4200+, its 11x200 = 2200 , so I have to lower it to 10.5x or is 11 OK ?

Can you please let me know cause I can get a deal on the CPU today !

THANKS.

Anyone out there with a 4200+, or 4400+, or a 4600+

mine is a AMD 4800 x2, 12 x 208

both cores seem to work, only error I notice is after starting Dashboard both cores use 30-40% cpu power even after closing it...strange.

what do you want me to do ?

Finally I have got my new mobo that has the possibility to change multiplier, and finally dual core works! ;)

But WHY can't I run FSB >200 and DDR at 400? When setting the DDR to 333 the system is stable.

Congratulations brother for your new dual core mac :) You gotta change your signature I guess. How did you succeed to make your motherboard capable to change the multiplier? What are your exact settings?

Just want to add that trying every kernel flag under the sun failed (ie every combination of Platform=ACPI/X86PC, fn=* and idlehalt made no difference).

CHANGING YOUR MULTIPLIER WORKS!!!!! Thanks guys.

For reference - AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ (ie 2x2ghz cores)

Switching from 200 FSB * 10x multiplier to 225 FSB * 9x multiplier (ie 2025Mhz = 25Mhz overclock) stopped all the stuttering. I've been running 2 yes > /dev/null for 20 mins with no issues - iTunes background playing. Great!

Yes!

But in my opinion, now, you have only one core working!!

On my abit ax8 v2, if change the multiplier, one core stop working and so all OSX work fine!!!

We need a tsc system kernel extension as AMD relased for Xp... i think that this is the only way !!!

The hope is that Apple release an AMD x2 machine or that with 10.4.8 free release of kernel, "someone"

patch this issue!!!

mitro: Why should the othe core stop working when you change the multiplier? I run at 9x and both mine are working in XP (ctrl-alt-del, performance). in Mac OS X it says 2 cores when I check About this Mäc.

Quite. Changing the multiplier won't disable a core. You will need to reenable any cores you have disabled though...

I just installed Myzar 10.4.5, the ONLY DVD that works on this PC.

Tried JaS 10.4.6 but first boot is black screen and welcome sound playing (funny cause sound works but no video, current install there is no audio).

And Myzar 10.4.6 gives error during install.

Now two questions:

1. How bad is stuttering? When and how do you guys feel it?

I have used the system for about an hour and haven't notices anything odd. Does this happen in any specific program ?

2. What you guy get for Xbench on Athlon X2s with both cores running ? What about just one core ? ( >> CPU RESULT ONLY << )

Thanks

Windows stutters too on a x2 3800+. Every so often the audio stutters when you access a hard drive. I read its a bug where both cores process the same code, so it happens twice and makes the stuttering. Even the AMD windows patches don't fix it - pretty annoying. Another reason to move to Conroe.

indiekiduk, you tried the hotfix from Microsoft? I haven't used it. I get no stuttering in Windows at all. I can listen to music and transfer a large file from hard drive to another and no hiccups.

estek, the stuttering for me was real bad, you couldn't miss it. Scrolling was horrible, delays opening folders, running programs etc. Thankfully my stuttering appears to have gone now without dropping the multiplier.

I just installed Myzar 10.4.5, the ONLY DVD that works on this PC.

Tried JaS 10.4.6 but first boot is black screen and welcome sound playing (funny cause sound works but no video, current install there is no audio).

And Myzar 10.4.6 gives error during install.

Now two questions:

1. How bad is stuttering? When and how do you guys feel it?

I have used the system for about an hour and haven't notices anything odd. Does this happen in any specific program ?

2. What you guy get for Xbench on Athlon X2s with both cores running ? What about just one core ? ( >> CPU RESULT ONLY << )

Thanks

1. Myself I have no stuttering at all.

2. My XBench results vwere between 150-174 and for cpu itself 99.

java script:ShowHide('qr_open','qr_closed');

sorry!!

But on my abit ax8 v.2 for multilier different from 10, one core result disable, so anymore stutter...

My system :

Abit ax8 v.2

amd 3800+ x2 vers E4

1 Gb Ram ddr400

Maxtor sata 200Gb

Ati X1600XT

Any suggestions are welcome!!

java script:ShowHide('qr_open','qr_closed');

sorry!!

But on my abit ax8 v.2 for multilier different from 10, one core result disable, so anymore stutter...

My system :

Abit ax8 v.2

amd 3800+ x2 vers E4

1 Gb Ram ddr400

Maxtor sata 200Gb

Ati X1600XT

Any suggestions are welcome!!

Eh...you dont read the topic?...