Any X2 users experience stutter like syndroms?

shoman24v

208 posts in this topic

Hi

I read whole pages.. The conclusion is inly Careless had successed. WHY???

Maybe the answer is overclocking. Gerogeanton had successed with overclocking.

Today, I tried whole method in this thred and it doesn't work and I tried overclocking.

(I had overclocked a few months ago up to 2.5GHz with default voltage.)

My original config is 200MHz * 10 and changed to 230MHz * 9.5

(and idlehalt=0 fn=3)

It works!!!!!!!!!!

The key is multplier number. It should not be 10. (I tried)

and...I must test stability check in windows..

Have fun..!!

P.S.

Sorry for my poor english : )

To have a better stability please dont set multipliers like 9,5 because can cause instability. Dont say later you wasnt warnt in time... :P:D

I think the key it is in FSB....OSX loves to run in high FSB....for example, latest Intel based Macs have at least DDR667 memory what means 333FSB or at least 266FSB...

Athlon X2 4400+ 2.2 GHz@ 2.48 GHz, little overvolt, FSB@225 MHz, no stuttering at all, both cores working, no special flags put, no kernel panics... And I think that it's even using SSE3, is there a method to confirm that? I replaced an "old" venice 3000+ (which ran SSE3) without reinstalling Mac OS, so I suppose that I'm still using SSE3...

Do you think this situation will last or stuttering will start to show very soon? Very nice performance with both cores indeed :)

Athlon X2 4400+ 2.2 GHz@ 2.48 GHz, little overvolt, FSB@225 MHz, no stuttering at all, both cores working, no special flags put, no kernel panics... And I think that it's even using SSE3, is there a method to confirm that? I replaced an "old" venice 3000+ (which ran SSE3) without reinstalling Mac OS, so I suppose that I'm still using SSE3...

Do you think this situation will last or stuttering will start to show very soon? Very nice performance with both cores indeed :)

I am using this way about 6 months, so probable no more stuttering.

I am using this way about 6 months, so probable no more stuttering.

Could you give me your over-clocking setting?

(FSB/Multiplier/DRAM settings/voltages...)

My setting is 265 * 9 for CPU

265 * 4 for HTT

265 * 9 / 10 for DRAM (Async)

and 1.5v for Core

with this options Xbench is 100.16

I need reference setting :)

Could you give me your over-clocking setting?

(FSB/Multiplier/DRAM settings/voltages...)

My setting is 265 * 9 for CPU

265 * 4 for HTT

265 * 9 / 10 for DRAM (Async)

and 1.5v for Core

with this options Xbench is 100.16

I need reference setting ;)

Since I have DFI board, my settings are slightly different when Im OC the CPU. My board allows me to go very high settings, also Opteron is happy with lower voltages.

Here is:

CPU: 9*310 1,300/1,325/104% voltages

HTT: 3*310

Mem: FSB/Mem ratio 3/2 = 133Mhz @ DDR400 2-2-2-5 timings 2, 6 volts

to be honest, i have no idea why it's working for me and me only with the idlehalt=0

im willing to bet i has to do with the overclocking and the solid 9x multi instead of a X.5 multi.

this guide seems good.

i will PDF it.

great work people.

I simply don't believe you and even if it worked it's not worth it because with idlehalt=0 the cpu overheats.

And what's this {censored} about bios settings when it's evident that the tsc is royally f***ed hence the stuttering and whatever using a tsc timer going out of synch or funny things like the dns server complaining about the time going backward.

I've tried up everything you can imagine and the only way to not having stutters is to run with a core disabled but it's not worth it that's why i rarely use osx now.

edit: mhh i just saw that you have an opteron and you are the only posting with such a cpu , i've an X2 and other people posting have an X2 too. Maybe it only works with an opteron.

I've tried up everything you can imagine and the only way to not having stutters is to run with a core disabled but it's not worth it that's why i rarely use osx now.

YOU ARE WRONG!

it works: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;st=123

set up your bios correctly and you ARE GOING TO HAVE dual core X2 AMD

Good Luck

I simply don't believe you and even if it worked it's not worth it because with idlehalt=0 the cpu overheats.

And what's this {censored} about bios settings when it's evident that the tsc is royally f***ed hence the stuttering and whatever using a tsc timer going out of synch or funny things like the dns server complaining about the time going backward.

edit: mhh i just saw that you have an opteron and you are the only posting with such a cpu , i've an X2 and other people posting have an X2 too. Maybe it only works with an opteron.

Myzar, Id like to ask you whats the difference between Opteron 175 and AMD X2 4400+?.......just the name...so why it shouldnt work?...

Myzar, Id like to ask you whats the difference between Opteron 175 and AMD X2 4400+?.......just the name...so why it shouldnt work?...

i've no idea i've to google around to see if there is any difference in stepping or something more but it just doesn't work for me and almost everyone else .

Mine is a manchester X2 3800+ clocked @ 2800 280*10

Do you need to use the cpuid kernel patch on the opteron to be able to boot the kernel ?

i've no idea i've to google around to see if there is any difference in stepping or something more but it just doesn't work for me and almost everyone else .

Mine is a manchester X2 3800+ clocked @ 2800 280*10

Do you need to use the cpuid kernel patch on the opteron to be able to boot the kernel ?

Im using SSE2 kernel found on install disk...so nothing special.

Correct me, if Im wrong, but I think you have NF3 chipset board, probable DFI......It goes more than 300FSB?......I would advice you to try my settings, of course for CPU voltages you have your own, anyways you achieve same CPU speed, but lower CPU multiplier....it worth a try....and give me some results..:thumbsdown_anim:

AMD X2 3800+ Godfather solved my stuttering problem in two steps:

FIRST STEP:

Now, as Godfather explained me you have to set up in bios your settings manualy:

post-35066-1159747166_thumb.jpg

- reduce the multiplier (click for info)

- increase the FSB

- memlock to CPU Ratio 5:3 (DDR 333)

(for my system he set up the FSB at 250 and multiplier at 9 )

post-35066-1159747178_thumb.jpg

SECOND STEP:

1] open terminal, and stretch the size of the box... make it fairly large to avoid confusion later.

2] type: sudo nano /library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

3] enter your password

4] change it to <string>cpuidle=0 -v</string>

do this comands:

nano /library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

update_prebinding -root / -force

diskutil repairPermissions /

STUTTERING GONE!!!!!

extra tips he gave me:

sudo -s

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0

sudo defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay -float 0

MANY MANY THANX TO FOR THE INCREDIBLE HELP:

Gdfath3r Group: Members

Member No.: 14,294

bakerman1ca

post-35066-1159743572.jpg

On a dual boot PC, does these settings effect Windows in anyway?

I have dual boot and my windows XP works just fine. Besides, before these settings I had sporadic bios errors with the message telling me to reload the default bios settings whatever. After the OC I did not had that error, and that means my bios settings are set up MANUAL correctly so the memory, motherboard and processor shakes properly. I just know that the stuttering is gone, windows works and that's all I need really.

So the stuttering was caused basically because the MacOS system requires MORE specific hardware with more optimized settings (the reason is a faster OS) than WinOS witch is more understanding with different, less optimized settings, not 100% compatibile hardware pieces (so a slower OS). That's how I see it.

... and congratulations "tjohnson" for the success. Enjoy your dual core in MacOS (many thanks to Gdfath3r)

myzar, to be honest... i have no reason to lie about whether or not my computer is halting or stuttering as described in this thread.

if you look at every post i've made on this site, it's either trying to find an answer, providing suggestions, or showing benchmarks, all of which I take pride in doing because I like macs... But not enough to buy one.

so any time that you're in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, give me a shout, and you can come to my house and test it for yourself.

I'm honest enough to say that if it had not been for sigxcpu telling me about the idlehalt=0 trick, I would not be able to tolerate the hiccups that OSX would have... so for me to be using it to make this very post is reason enough to believe it.

cool?

EDIT:

adding to that, i just reinstalled using a 10.4.7 disc, and it works fine with idlehalt... but i will try and use the method described in this thread, since you say it generates more heat using idlehalt=0... which i assume prevents the cores from idleing and letting them cool down, as in- they're always active.

so thanks for that tip. i do notice the heat does rise a tad whilst idling in macosx than it does in XP SP2

UPDATE:

could it be the increased Cache size of the Opteron cores?

UPDATE AGAIN:

so i tried doing it the way godfather outlined it, and my osx ran into a kernel panic, but oddly enough i couldn't find a panic number to cross-reference it.

so anyways, im just gonna stick with my method, since it seems to be the easiest to do, and works just fine for me (invitation still stands, myzar)

so is it cpuidle=0 or idlehalt=0, neither seem to work... changing multi from 10 to 9 and upping FSB so i have same core speed seems to work a little.. well it worked for an hour yesterday then the slowness comes back.. wish there was a definitive fix for this issue..

Never mind, im getting a MacBook Pro this November. :sorcerer: so dont really bother me.

so anyways, im just gonna stick with my method, since it seems to be the easiest to do, and works just fine for me (invitation still stands, myzar)

well even if it works and it doesn't for me i've no use for idlehalt = 0 because not allowing the cpu to sleep when idle is stupid, temps go high etc.

I hope in the new kernel even tho i don't care much , i've lost almost any interest in this pos os it doesn't offer anything i want nor like.

ps i'm still laughing my ass off at georgeanton .. hahahaha faster os

well even if it works and it doesn't for me i've no use for idlehalt = 0 because not allowing the cpu to sleep when idle is stupid, temps go high etc.

I hope in the new kernel even tho i don't care much , i've lost almost any interest in this pos os it doesn't offer anything i want nor like.

Hehe, must be blind and stupid. Ive been an avid fan of windows for years and thought OS X was {censored}, well until i tried it. I now must admit it is better in every single way, apart from games but who wants an OS for games anyway.

Go Cream Bills arse and play some games and dont comeback here after all you dont need to if you not using OS X.

Running Smooth as butter and cool as a cucumber with both cores using x9 Multi, for how long i dont know, i got my fingers crossed doh... perhaps it was just Firefox that seemed to slowdown yesterday using this method.

Nope...why should?...what is stable in Mac it is in Windows too....

I admit that if I do a huge overclocking, for example from 2.0Ghz default to 2.8Ghz..Im getting kernelpanic too...

So, I do install OSX on lower OC settings, just to be on safe part, keeping the CPU multi at 9x and safer voltages. After system has been optimized ( repairPermissions, update_prebindings ) I can have higher OC settings.

I tried without idlehalt=0 and is not working that way. Overclocking and idlehalt=0 together stops stuttering.

I must remind everyone, DO NOT use multipliers like 9,5...use whole numbers, because can create kernelpanics, also try do not make a huge OC, be happy with a little speed advance.

Hehe, must be blind and stupid. Ive been an avid fan of windows for years and thought OS X was {censored}, well until i tried it. I now must admit it is better in every single way, apart from games but who wants an OS for games anyway.

Go Cream Bills arse and play some games and dont comeback here after all you dont need to if you not using OS X.

Running Smooth as butter and cool as a cucumber with both cores using x9 Multi, for how long i dont know, i got my fingers crossed doh... perhaps it was just Firefox that seemed to slowdown yesterday using this method.

I have no idea why Firefox does this thingy, but if you checkinfo on Firefox you going to see it has that option to run with Rosetta....so it is or not 1.5.07 Firefox UB?.....probable runs with rosetta...

I have an Intel 2.86 Duo Core, and am experiencing the same issue. I've tried all of the above steps, and none of them work. Any more ideas?

cpus=1 MUST work, make sure you did it right but you should try more the OC, that is the real solution - figure those bios settings right.

Lots of luck

George

In regard to the person above who said that idlehalt=0 worked for them, it also worked for me. I had a first installation which did not need any kernal flags but every time I installed after that I have had to use idlehalt=0 or cpus=1. cpuidle=0 did not work for me where as the others did. Also I wanted to keep dual core speed so I use idlehalt=0.