Any X2 users experience stutter like syndroms?

shoman24v

208 posts in this topic

Using the 8.8.1 kernel included with the AMD SSE3 test1 release... Works great... no stuttering or problems at all :-)

However, I'm not sure what this release does different (besides fixing SSE3 on AMD), maybe it blocks a core by auto?!

AMD x2 3800 @ 2,5 GHz, 2Gigs of RAM, ASUS A8N-E Motherboard, GeForce 7600 GS Graphics

I hardly never use WinXP anymore! (However, Maya and ZBrush does run faster in windows).

I love my Hackintosh and my next machine will definetly be a Mac...

Edited by emarsh

I'm using the 8.8.1 kernel with an Opteron 165, and I stutter regardless - Even with cpus=1. idlehalt=0 does nothing for me. Gonna try overclockin' a bit now, we'll see if that works.

Hmmm...I don't have to use cpus=1 or idlehalt=0 and I'm good on my Opteron 170 both at stock speeds (2.0ghz) and at 2.4ghz (10x240 only) v-core at 1.374 PCI-E @ 110 and ram not overclocked. I guess you can just take the multi down and bump the fsb like some of the others did. Also, see what Mac Girl did, IIRC she has an opty 165 also.

Oh, right, and I'm on 8.8.1 amd (from the beta install disc on the pirate) with no update to the kernel just yet. I'll be moving to beta 8 shortly.

joneSi

Hmmm...I don't have to use cpus=1 or idlehalt=0 and I'm good on my Opteron 170 both at stock speeds (2.0ghz) and at 2.4ghz (10x240 only) v-core at 1.374 PCI-E @ 110 and ram not overclocked. I guess you can just take the multi down and bump the fsb like some of the others did. Also, see what Mac Girl did, IIRC she has an opty 165 also.

Oh, right, and I'm on 8.8.1 amd (from the beta install disc on the pirate) with no update to the kernel just yet. I'll be moving to beta 8 shortly.

joneSi

Didn't need to adjust my multiplier at all. Just 250Mhz FSB, and drop my RAM multiplier a bit. Stock vCore, too. It was just a quick and simple OC - I'll stick it back to its 2.7Ghz after a couple weeks.

Sheesh. I get rid of my OC to ensure stability in OSX86, and it ends up CAUSING instability. Go figure.

Didn't need to adjust my multiplier at all. Just 250Mhz FSB, and drop my RAM multiplier a bit. Stock vCore, too. It was just a quick and simple OC - I'll stick it back to its 2.7Ghz after a couple weeks.

Sheesh. I get rid of my OC to ensure stability in OSX86, and it ends up CAUSING instability. Go figure.

Thats only because the opterons are BEGGING to be overclocked :P

Good GOD 250fsb is all you had to do?! Damn. I can't go past 2.4ghz on CCBBE stepping and 'good' silicon according to the overclockers out there. I'm starting to think I am being limited by my A8n-E board and need to go to a DFI Lanparty before its too late (they stop making them...). Also need to switch from Corsair Value ram to good stuff.

joneSi

Edited by joneSi

Thats only because the opterons are BEGGING to be overclocked :(

Good GOD 250fsb is all you had to do?! Damn. I can't go past 2.4ghz on CCBBE stepping and 'good' silicon according to the overclockers out there. I'm starting to think I am being limited by my A8n-E board and need to go to a DFI Lanparty before its too late (they stop making them...). Also need to switch from Corsair Value ram to good stuff.

joneSi

UPDATE...

I am having issues with my overclock. I have FINALLY gotten it over the 2.4ghz hump by setting a -tad- bit of voltage in (1.385 to 1.4 total) and it'll boot all the way to 2.8ghz...but I haven't tried higher. On STOCK AIR COOLING its staying BELOW 40C...lol...but the problem is that at 2.8 ghz I'm running SLOWER than at 2.4 ghz. I'll likely post this in the overclocking forum, but wanted to let you know that you should check everything out with XBench and ensure proper settings there before continuing on...

joneSi

• 4 weeks later...
Guest AaloPalto

I tried that Processors-Panel from XCode CHUD and it tells me i got an Intel-CPU with Hyper-Threading enabled).

I use an Turion64 X2 TL 52.

The CPU Graph is different for both CPUs. Kernel 8.8.1, 10.4.8 from DVD.

Maybe someone made an Patch for those stuttering X2 CPUs, the System runs very very good.

Greets