Any X2 users experience stutter like syndroms?

shoman24v

208 posts in this topic

I tried every suggestion in this thread and the conclusion is:

1) My experience only applies to X2 3800+ & NF4 Ultra.

2) Stuttering stops only when cpus=1 is set.

3) In order to turn switch between 1 & 2 CPUs, an easier way is to install Xcode 2.2 with CHUD. Installing a single CHUD 4.3.1 package crashed the machine and has to be restarted in safe mode to uninstall the package. Afterwards, a new preference "Processor" will let you select # of active CPUs. The only problem to me is that I have to select 1 CPU everytime I reboot the machine.

:(

If you need to do that every time you restart the machine, then the "an easier way" is to put cpus=1 in com.apple.Boot.plist, isn't it?

:2cents:

If you need to do that every time you restart the machine, then the "an easier way" is to put cpus=1 in com.apple.Boot.plist, isn't it?

:whistle:

To some extent that is true. But I don't like to modify here & there and then forgot what I did. And btw, I believe someone might come up with a patch soon.

To some extent that is true. But I don't like to modify here & there and then forgot what I did. And btw, I believe someone might come up with a patch soon.

Write it down somewhere about the cpus=1 modification, perhaps? Trying to do it manually every time you boot seems counterproductive just to not forget what you did. It's like deleting .plist files for apps every time you boot and re-configuring.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

the code for the idlehalt flag was something like that:

in osfmk/i386/machine_routines.c:

if (idlehalt || others_active) {
			DBGLOG(cpu_handle, cpu_number(), MP_IDLE);
			cpu_idle_handler();
			DBGLOG(cpu_handle, cpu_number(), MP_UNIDLE);

} else {
			__asm__ volatile("sti");
	}

As we use idlehalt=0 I supose we want to run the else { __asm__ volatile("sti"); }

So it could be that others_active is true ( not 0 ) and the "else... " is never executed.

putting "others_active=0 idlehalt=0" at boot would work?? i will try it as soon as i can...

hope this works as i want to have both cores enabled and no stuttering, but i guess the solution is not as easy...

(sorry for my english, i'm from spain :( )

EDIT: No, it doesn't work...

I'm too happy to live. With this Mac OSx86 the trick is patience. Shuttering problems gone (even my sound was shuttering).

This is what I did:

Boot with F8 and -s (single mode)

when in terminal:

/sbin/mount -uw /

nano /library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

make it look like this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>platform=X86PC idlehalt=0</string>

save (writeout) and exit

rm -R /System/Library/extensions.kextcache

rm -R /System/Library/extensions.mkext

reboot

when you go back start System Preferences ---> Energy Saver

deselect "Put the hard disk (s) to sleep when possibile"

set

computer to sleep - NEVER

display to sleep - NEVER

exit and shutdown

shutdown again (just to make sure, took me 2 restarts)

these are my specs (see also my full DxDiag attached):

OS X 10.4.5 Native

CPU: AMD64 3800+ X2

MB: Asus A8V Deluxe

Memory: 1GB DDR 400 Kingston

Video: NVidia Albatron FX5700 128 MB (CI & QE not-working YET - using MACVIDIA)

Network: Marvell Yukon on board (Working - search the forum)

Audio: Realtek ALC850 (Working - after I fixed this problem)

Display: Sun 21" CRT on 1280x1024

see the Xbench results attached: X86PC_idehalt.txt

(I did not test with ACPI instead of X86PC - I'm afraid LOL)

Thanks to everybody who put time and efforts to this! GREAT JOB. So another problem fixed. Now I'm working to make Final Cut Pro 5.1 to work. I see a bright future.

My goal in editing DVCPRO HD on PC is close. I can feel it ;) Feel free to reply.

edit - NEXT MORNING :hysterical:

I don't want to dissapoint but when I started the computer this morning the shutter effect came back. I have no ideea why, working on it. I had no shuttering last night after modifying boot.plist like above. I don't understand, yet.

edit - MINUTES LATER :D

edited boot.plist and added "<string>cpus=1 idlehalt=0 -v platform=X86PC</string>". No shutter effect but Xbench went down from 92.61 last night to 78.32. I'm still confused what happened.

DxDiag.txt

X86PC_idehalt.txt

I'm too happy to live. With this Mac OSx86 the trick is patience. Shuttering problems gone (even my sound was shuttering).

This is what I did:

Boot with F8 and -s (single mode)

There's no need to use -s. Just edit the plist in terminal with: "sudo nano /library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

"

I Have found that using idlehalt=0 works sometimes without stuttering, and at others has no effect at all.

This is so strange. I hope we can sort this one out soon. be so nice if we had the Full Power of the X2 at hand in OS X not that its slow now by any means.

idlehalt=0 works sometimes

We got to find out what is the cause of that sometimes. Maybe some good programmers arroud here can help.

Only thing that works for me is deactivating 1 core, "cpus=1" then no stuttering.

I'm puzzeled in my head completely because I do not understand why I got stuttering gone ONLY ONCE with "idlehalt=0" with both cores active.

Logics say if it worked once with both is gotta be a way to make it work again.

FWIW, "-v idlehalt=0" has worked for me. It works very well now. My only problem is that Safari crashes every once and a while, but I use FF anyway, so I don't mind.

Asus A8N-SLI Premium

Opteron 165 o/c to 2.3ghz

2 gigs DDR 333mhz

6800s PCIx DVI

MacVidia Beta 1 Build 5

Anyone know if any version of OS X we been using 10.4.1 upto 10.4.6 uses a ACPI Kext as i can see none loaded in 10.4.6 (10.4.4/5 Myzar to 10.4.6 V3 Myzar Updated) what i can see is a AppleAPIC.Kext think this controlls intterupts or at least how many there are and sharing of interupts.!! maybe i'm talking out my a** but this could be a possible cause of the stuttering.? i'm just grasping at straws.. like the rest of us with X2's / Optys.

When I try and use onboard sound that also stutters too, any ideas? Anyone with this problem? I'm using the 8f1111 patched DVD.

pls read the thread. if youy find other way than desablling one core let us know.

Ok lots of what u guys have come up with is only a temp fix. I'm going to try a few things and get back with ya in a couple days.

You are the man. If you can come up with a solution except cpus wow!! If you need a beta tester let me know.

I'm installing OS X 10.4.6 (Myzar) at my PC:

- AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2000 MHz 3800+

- Epox EP-9NDA3J (nForce3 Ultra, 5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)

- System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)

- ATI Radeon AX800 Pro (AGP, DDR3, 256MB)

- HD Maxtor 6L120M0 (120 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)

- HD Drive Maxtor 6Y120M0 (120 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)

- HD Hitachi PATA (OS X)

Everything work (graphic card, sound, SATA), but it work very slow.

1. Way I don't have SS3 in OS X when my CPU support SS3?. I'm trying patched kernel with maxxuss (base+no Nx+AMD enabler, base+CPUID+ AMD enabler) but is don't work. I get message CPU PANIC

2. When I boot OS X, I have message VESA 3.0 16MB ATI (ATOMBIOS)

Please help me.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone had any joy with this. using cpus=1 is the only fix that works for me. I have an X2 3800+ on a gigabyte nforce3 mobo.

At the moment, Linux with XGL is winning the battle of OS time on my PC because it works dual core.

I would prefer to use os x as I love it other than the few hardware problems that I am experiencing.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'v got this same stuttering problem.. It does go away after it gain's som uptime(a few hours) though, which is quite strange.. And about that boot params "idlehalt=0 platform=ACPI", the reason it's only working for careless, might that not be cuz the fact he don't got an Athlon 64 X2 ??

Hope there will be a constant, non compromise solution for this soon!!

Just wanted to add myself to this thread; i've got a JAS 10.4.6 install running on an

AMD Athlon X2 3800+

nforce 410/430 chipset

1 Gig RAM

ATA hard disk (Primary Master) for OSX, DVD as primary slave and secondary master disk for Win XP

onboard nforce network not functional, so using Tulip driver for an old Linksys card i had.

am getting some stuttering, and a few minutes ago i had a total lock up :D(

• 4 months later...

AMD X2 3800+ Godfather solved my stuttering problem in two steps:

FIRST STEP:

Now, as Godfather explained me you have to set up in bios your settings manualy:

post-35066-1159747166_thumb.jpg

- reduce the multiplier (click for info)

- increase the FSB

- memlock to CPU Ratio 5:3 (DDR 333)

(for my system he set up the FSB at 250 and multiplier at 9 )

post-35066-1159747178_thumb.jpg

SECOND STEP:

1] open terminal, and stretch the size of the box... make it fairly large to avoid confusion later.

2] type: sudo nano /library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

3] enter your password

4] change it to <string>cpuidle=0 -v</string>

do this comands:

nano /library/preferences/systemconfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

update_prebinding -root / -force

diskutil repairPermissions /

STUTTERING GONE!!!!!

extra tips he gave me:

sudo -s

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0

sudo defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay -float 0

MANY MANY THANX TO FOR THE INCREDIBLE HELP:

Gdfath3r Group: Members

Member No.: 14,294

bakerman1ca

post-35066-1159743572.jpg

Hi

I read whole pages.. The conclusion is inly Careless had successed. WHY???

Maybe the answer is overclocking. Gerogeanton had successed with overclocking.

Today, I tried whole method in this thred and it doesn't work and I tried overclocking.

(I had overclocked a few months ago up to 2.5GHz with default voltage.)

My original config is 200MHz * 10 and changed to 230MHz * 9.5

(and idlehalt=0 fn=3)

It works!!!!!!!!!!

The key is multplier number. It should not be 10. (I tried)

and...I must test stability check in windows..

Have fun..!!

P.S.

Sorry for my poor english : )