Leopard Laptops with NON-working GMA X3100

errandwolfe

846 posts in this topic

Slug - iATKOS works on D630 but just need to be patient and let display sleep as follows:

Charge Battery

Disconnect AC power lead (system on battery)

Boot from DVD.

Wait until screen goes black, close lid.

Wait 15+ mins, open lid and press a key.

Install iATKOS in 1440x900 with working X3100!

Once installed you'll have the same power management issue with the display.

this method for installation works great!

but for me, on the first reboot, the system don't start, tried with and without efi.

{censored}

theSlug

OK, fast update. I've tried new Kalyway 10.5.1 and after some tweaking in Extensions I've 1280x800 with CI and QE! ;D

I've deleted AppleIntegretedFrameBuffer.kext and all AppleIntel950 kexts. Then I've added Natit.kext and voila! I have done it AFTER installation and used my second partion with ToH to make these changes.

So I've been following this thread for awhile now and with the latest breakthroughs, I think I'm pretty close to getting it going. I've taken errandwolfe's hex from his zip file and converted it to xml with gfxutil. I've found the EDID section and replaced it with my panel information that was gathered from the Windows side with the util in this thread. I then take the updated xml file for my config and take it back to hex before finally adding the string to my com.Apple.Boot.plist.

I have to be close, but when I boot I get a message "error parsing plist" so I must have a problem in it, but what have i missed?

Right now, I have 1920x1200 desktop but no CI/QE and my mouse cursor is graphically corrupt (makes for some difficult navigation). Doing the Sleep trick too.

This is on an Inspiron 1720 at it's native res.

Can anyone point out something obvious I've missed?

Evileyez, why start with my string is the main question?

My string was only in there for display purposes and if you had a D630 I suppose it would work pretty well.

What you should do is start with the baseline dump from a GMAX3100 Macbook. You should be able to find a copy in the same place you found gfxutil. I would recommend anyone attempting to duplicate my method start with that dump, not mine.

Besides the EDID there were several other tweaks I made that were specific to my display. If you start with the actual Macbook dump you will be able to create a file that has a much greater likelihood of working.

UPDATE: I really shouldn't say MY method. It took hints and suggestions from many different people before we figured out at least this partial solution of sleep then wake.

This was specifically for iATKOS as there are no X3100 extensions to delete on the DVD and -x doesn't work either - you just get a blank screen at bootup from the DVD, it's just less hassle than ToH RC2 to reinstall (apart from the blank screen issue).

Hi,

In my case with X3100 (Sony), iatkos will not work too (white screen) which is a resolution problem. The reason why there are no Extensions folder in the iatkos DVD is because it is only using Extension.mkext .. Someone from IRC who tested with the makers actually gave me the working Extension.mkext which they (the makers) gave him. They removed all AppleIntelGMAX3100* kext ... so mine booted ok without the white screen problem. Also, they will release the ppf tomorrow.

BTW, -x -v -(whatever) will not work since its only using Extensions.mkext and it is forced to load every driver included there.

The working Extensions.mkext (only for X3100 problems = White or Black Screen). Just wait for the PPF to be released.

Now that the booting from iatkos live dvd is solved, my new problem is AFTER installation. As expected, I still encountered the same white screen problem (same with ToH and brazil) and be forced to use my old fix technique (the same fix I used with toh/brazil). In Kalyway, I also encountered the same.

They way I look at it, same systems with X3100 has different solutions (case to case basis). That is going to be hard for releases to have a universal fix for all X3100 regardless of what manufacturer (brands).

It seems its true. Acer with X3100 have minimal problems with Leopard osx86 compared to Dell/Sony/ and others. Now I envy Acer users =(

It looks like gfx-string is our only hope (Non-Acer brands). I dunno. Until then, ill just stick with SwitchResX / DisplayConfigX which I believe uses a fake EDID and it doesnt give me the feel of a real mac =( Well come to think of it, its better than nothing =)

Happy Holidays everyone!

Errandwolfe,

Ignorance talking, I thought the only thing that separated our config would be the panel, so I only attempted to change the EDID. Regardless, working off a generic X3100 dump from a macbook still results in the same "error parsing plist" on boot. I suspect I'm corrupting the XML formatting when injecting my EDID, or my EDID is garbage from the get go? Back to the battle and thanks for your help in this thread.

Evil, you should probably seek help over at Netkas' site (where you got gfxutil). That is where you are going to find the people most familiar with that app (hell they created it). Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Anyone else who is having issues with the gfxutil application should also seek help over there.

Also keep in mind that some people have reported getting the sleep/wake method to work without using an EFI hardware string. Gfxutil should be used only in a worst case scenario where neither the sleep/wake or SwitchResX method is working on their own.

Sounds good, thx.

The sleep/wake does work, in that it gets me my native res, 1920x1200 - just no CI/QE. Plus my mouse cursor is barely usable as it's distorted. Last question then I'll head to netkas - the EFI string should enable CI/QE correct? And I'm hoping that magically fixes the mouse too.

None of these solutions should be thought of as a magic bullet that will do everything. You need to be very methodical and try one step at a time until you do have all the features working. For me, yes, I did need the EFI string, but found I also needed Natit.

Dell vostro1400 x3100 fully worked on iATOKS and the Pulicat kext iatoks come with. without any hex string change, just need the display sleep/wake tick. The iATOKS dvd even boot at LCD's native resolution.

I found the the screen black out is cause by changing resolution(which do at every startup), when I change a resolution, the screen will black out like it at startup, need sleep/wake to bring it back on.

Dell vostro1400 x3100 fully worked on iATOKS and the Pulicat kext iatoks come with. without any hex string change, just need the display sleep/wake tick. The iATOKS dvd even boot at LCD's native resolution.

I found the the screen black out is cause by changing resolution(which do at every startup), when I change a resolution, the screen will black out like it at startup, need sleep/wake to bring it back on.

You got CI/QE support? Sound? Just wondering I have a Vostro 1400....

Hi,

In my case with X3100 (Sony), iatkos will not work too (white screen) which is a resolution problem. The reason why there are no Extensions folder in the iatkos DVD is because it is only using Extension.mkext .. Someone from IRC who tested with the makers actually gave me the working Extension.mkext which they (the makers) gave him. They removed all AppleIntelGMAX3100* kext ... so mine booted ok without the white screen problem. Also, they will release the ppf tomorrow.

BTW, -x -v -(whatever) will not work since its only using Extensions.mkext and it is forced to load every driver included there.

The working Extensions.mkext (only for X3100 problems = White or Black Screen). Just wait for the PPF to be released.

Now that the booting from iatkos live dvd is solved, my new problem is AFTER installation. As expected, I still encountered the same white screen problem (same with ToH and brazil) and be forced to use my old fix technique (the same fix I used with toh/brazil). In Kalyway, I also encountered the same.

They way I look at it, same systems with X3100 has different solutions (case to case basis). That is going to be hard for releases to have a universal fix for all X3100 regardless of what manufacturer (brands).

It seems its true. Acer with X3100 have minimal problems with Leopard osx86 compared to Dell/Sony/ and others. Now I envy Acer users =(

It looks like gfx-string is our only hope (Non-Acer brands). I dunno. Until then, ill just stick with SwitchResX / DisplayConfigX which I believe uses a fake EDID and it doesnt give me the feel of a real mac =( Well come to think of it, its better than nothing =)

Happy Holidays everyone!

thanx errandwolfe for the files. I used your AppleIntelGMAX3100* files and Natit.kext and I got my X3100 fully working at 1280x800!

Jabonga, I'm running iATKOS revision 2 on my Sony VAIO FZ240e notebook w/ intel 965 chipset.

1. I installed Errandwolfe's *.kext

2. reboot while connected to an external monitor.

3. *found my way into System Preference --> Display setting*

4. Set resolution to 1280x768 temporary for "main display" (1280x1024 for "external" by default).

5. Finally set the optimal resolution for VAIO notebook at 1280x800 using SwitchResX's custom setting!

VOILA! full hardware support!!!

the tricky part there was getting past the white/garbage display on the main LCD.

the external display was automatically set to EXTENDED DESKTOP...not MIRROR display.

at this point, it was obvious to me that the problem was setting the correct display resolution for

the main display on the laptop.

hope this help! took me almost a week of trial and error...thanx to some info from this thread,

I finally got the x3100 fully working.

now onto wireless network and sound to work!!!

hey pomalink,

Thanks for the info. I was actually aiming to solve the problem WITHOUT the use of External display =) I have a way to make it (without Ext. monitor) but you have to use DisplayconfigX and its fairy simple too. You won't need an external monitor and you won't see the white distorted screen =) AFAIK, this is only applicable to Sony Laptops. I've guided someone from irc with a sony and it worked =)

Now, I'm curious about forcing it to display x800. Is it the real x800 or was it only emulated or forced by SwitchResX or DisplayConfigX? I fear that its not the "real" x800 and I'm trying to find a way to make x800 native without the use of any program which I believe is efi-gfx. I also don't know what to put in the "timing" settings within DisplayConfigX or SwitchResX. Should I get it from Windows? or guess and just put stuff in my Timing settings .. lol

ATM, I'm not lucky with EFI-GFX because of one good reason. >>> I don't know what the hell I'm doing! lol

I hope someday I will.

Jabonga,

I think SwitchResX is forcing the 1280x800 for me. Without SwitchResX, the best I can do was 1280x768...leaving 32 lines empty on the bottom of the screen.

anyhow, it is the full optimal 1280x800 for my main display and it does show up on the System Preference --> Display.

I test it out with Unreal Tournament 2004 running full screen at 1280x800 and it was beautiful!

since i'm using the *.kext from errandwolfe's, i'm sure it will work with other names other than SONY, Dell, etc...

if you ever find a way to display the optimal without 3rd party tweaks, let us know!

Jabonga,

I think SwitchResX is forcing the 1280x800 for me. Without SwitchResX, the best I can do was 1280x768...leaving 32 lines empty on the bottom of the screen.

anyhow, it is the full optimal 1280x800 for my main display and it does show up on the System Preference --> Display.

I test it out with Unreal Tournament 2004 running full screen at 1280x800 and it was beautiful!

since i'm using the *.kext from errandwolfe's, i'm sure it will work with other names other than SONY, Dell, etc...

if you ever find a way to display the optimal without 3rd party tweaks, let us know!

Pomalink,

Greetings! Yes, SwitchResX/DisplayConfigX is the solution to our problem (Sony). I also agree that SwithResX is "forcing" our displays to show x800. However, I'm kinda bothered of the "forcing" thing =( I think what I'm trying to do now is making Sony laptops to show x800 without forcing it by using 3rd party apps (SwitchresX). Right now, I'm trying my luck with gfx-string and I'm starting to get a hang of it. Yesterday, I didn't totally understood anything about efi-gfx, but now I somewhat understand it a little. However, I'm still unlucky with gfx-string.

Another reason why I'm not that confident with SwitchResX/DisplayConfigX is because of the timings. I don't know what values to put on those boxes under timings. I tried to get my Standard/Detailed Timings from Windows (using Phoenix) but it is totally different from what SwitchResX is asking for, like Back Porch? Front Porch? huh? ... etc ...

Also, SwitchResX is using a fake EDID (Correct me if I'm wrong) because when I check it on:

/System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-756e6b6e/DisplayProductID-717 <<< This is the file that SwitchResX emulated for it to show x800 .. it is generic

using Plist Editor Pro, the EDID is soooo different from my real EDID (got from Windows). Anyway, I also edited this DisplayProductID-717 file and put the correct EDID and it worked. I don't know if it made a difference or what .. I havent tried doing tests yet.

By the way, I also found a way for my laptop (Sony) WITHOUT using an EXTERNAL monitor and SwitchResX =)

Just Natit.kext and DisplayProductID-717 that SwitchResX made (this is after editing/forcing SwitchResX to show 1280x800). Ofcourse, this is only applicable for the next reinstall.

Happy New Year!!!

Try the x3100-string file as your graphics string for the com.apple.boot.plist...

or just use my com.apple.boot.plist and see if it will work (put into /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist)

Hi,

I think I made some kind of progress. I used cloudrainstar com.apple.boot.plist and removed Natit.kext from the Extensions folder and my X3100 was detected!!

BUT:

I still see the white distorted screen which signifies it is set to a resolution which is not supported (800x600@60) .. So again, I enabled voice over (alt+F5) and changed resolution using the keyboard until I reached 1024x768 which showed the right images. I did all this without the Natit.kext! =)

Now I guess my next problem is how to edit the x3100-string that came with cloundrainstar to add 1280x800 resolution.

Out of curiousity,

I converted that string (cloudrainstar) to plist and added some information like (1)EDID, (2)Height, (3)Width, (4)refresh rate only .. I don't know the other stuff so I just didn't add it.

*Those information was copied from the plist from an original mac book 13.3 dump (except EDID ofcourse, I used mine)

Then, Converted it back to hex and pasted it on my com.apple.Boot.plist. This time when It booted, its just the blue screen.

It only means that the 4 lines I added which are EDID, Height, Width, Ref rate caused the blue screen problem. Are there other lines that should I add in the plist? (I see backlight, .., etc from the original mac book)

Cloudrainstar,

If you can read this, great job! THank you for your edited string . Is there a way to add 1280x800? I know its almost close, it just the resolution problem. If you can edit that string you have and just put resolution to it, that would be great.

THank you so much.

Hi,

I think I made some kind of progress. I used cloudrainstar com.apple.boot.plist and removed Natit.kext from the Extensions folder and my X3100 was detected!!

BUT:

I still see the white distorted screen which signifies it is set to a resolution which is not supported (800x600@60) .. So again, I enabled voice over (alt+F5) and changed resolution using the keyboard until I reached 1024x768 which showed the right images. I did all this without the Natit.kext! =)

Now I guess my next problem is how to edit the x3100-string that came with cloundrainstar to add 1280x800 resolution.

Out of curiousity,

I converted that string (cloudrainstar) to plist and added some information like (1)EDID, (2)Height, (3)Width, (4)refresh rate only .. I don't know the other stuff so I just didn't add it.

*Those information was copied from the plist from an original mac book 13.3 dump (except EDID ofcourse, I used mine)

Then, Converted it back to hex and pasted it on my com.apple.Boot.plist. This time when It booted, its just the blue screen.

It only means that the 4 lines I added which are EDID, Height, Width, Ref rate caused the blue screen problem. Are there other lines that should I add in the plist? (I see backlight, .., etc from the original mac book)

Cloudrainstar,

If you can read this, great job! THank you for your edited string . Is there a way to add 1280x800? I know its almost close, it just the resolution problem. If you can edit that string you have and just put resolution to it, that would be great.

THank you so much.

Partial success with cloudrainstar com.apple.boot.plist on my toshiba portege m600 with x3100. Got it to work with external monitor with 1024X768. Waiting for any improvement so that there is no need for extra monitor and resolution could be set at higher numbers.

Keep me posted.

All

On a Dell Latitude D630, following errandwolfe's post in this topic (at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...784&st=64#) and particularly ejlax's modification of it (at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...784&st=70#) I found the sleep corner trick works, with 1440X900 resolution.

I do not find QuartzExtreme or CoreImage (QE/CI) to be enabled. That does not bug me too much but if anyone has advice on getting them to work I would love to hear it.

I'm trying and i'm trying....

I Just installed he new kalyway leopard DVD, fist the computer goes off, i boot in safe delete the apple framebuffer and the laptop work now in vesa, after that i install the paulicast's kext and my screen goes off, and if a connect a second display ot acts as a second display not as primary... ;)

what now??!!

My Laptop:

Sony Vaio VGN-NR11S/S

x3100 intel

Thanks,

Jorge

This is my first post!  I just got the internal display working last night and I'm hoping I can contribute to the community.  Props out to someone on the forum for getting the res change windows to open blind.  :)

1. with external monitor connected, click anywhere in external monitor to ensure finder is selected

2. press shift-alt-a

3. type "sys"

4. press alt-o

5. type "displays"

6. hit enter

7. at this point you should get the window to change resolutions

8. click gather windows

9. set both internal and external monitors to correct resolutions (if 1280x800, set to 1280x768 first - use SwitchResX when all is working to get proper 1280x800x32@60)

Now this comes the tricky part and here is my workaround...

10. check show displays in finder menu bar.  click on displays icon in finder menu bar and check which row the correct res is at.  call it row x.  

11. unplug external monitor

12. move mouse to top left corner and left-click once - you should see a blue vertical streak across your screen

13. move it horizontally to the right and the blue streak should move with your mouse.  as it moves near the center of the screen, the blue streaks should disappear.  continue moving horizontally to the right.  when the blue streak next appears again, stop moving the mouse.

14. press the down arrow key (x-1) times.

15. hit enter

16. your internal display should be working.  

Hi, can someone explain what the secret is to getting Quartz Extreme to work and Core Image to become Accelerated and not software on the GMA x3100 ?

Ive trawled this topic and i'm lost as to how to sort it.

I used the paulicat Natit.kext to get this far.

I'm running a Toshiba Satellite on the internal LCD laptop at 1280x800 just incase you were wondering.

Any help much appreciated.

UPDATE: Sorted it, needed to clear the kext caches and reinsert GMAx3100 kexts = Voila !

Quartz Extreme and Core Image fully activated and accelerated :rolleyes:

Finally working with kalyway last DVD :Dpaulicats kexts ;)One problem, the monitor goes black... it only comes on again when i connect a second monitor... them the monitoe wake up... i tried the Sleep and wake up, but doesn't work... any solution for black screen?!ok... with SwitchRes set to custom 1280x800 my screen now doesn't go black... ;)well just need a way to the monitor with that resolution without Software Forced! but for now thats very very good!!! :wacko: Thanks a lot people ;)Any question if i can help... :blink:

I made a little script to run the application sleepdisplay, then press a key to wake the display up (useful for dell users). This should work for any computer where the sleep/wake trick works. I attached it here, along with the sleepdisplay application. You can place either of these anywhere you want on your hd. To run on boot, add the sleepdisplayscript application to your applications run at login list.

SleepDisplay.zip

I got my Toshiba P205 series laptop running on 1440x900. I used all of the files from errandwolfe and the com.apple.boot.plist from cloudrainstar and using the kalyway image. Before changing the .kext and .plist files, I was able to use the laptop only from the external monitor after the initial install. I mostly used the instructions from post 65. I also found instructions on how to use kextload from terminal and chown root:wheel on the "/system/library/extensions" directory.

I rebooted the system and got the infamous sky blue blank screen on the laptop. No image on the external monitor. i had no keyboard inputs since I knew that would happen when I tried puttin the laptop to sleep on dry runs. I then just shut it down by holding down the power button. on power up, I got the blue screen again, but the pointer came up. A few seconds later, the desktop came up. I set up the display for 1440x900 and all looks good. The external monitor was an extension to the desktop and supported 1600x1200.

Here are my limitations. I have to boot the laptop without an external monitor connected until I get a desktop. Also, shutting down requires holding down the power button. If I shut it down via software only, the power stays on. The sound, wireless network, sd card reader and modem does not work. The network port, firewire and laptops keys all work from the install.

I think I can fix the power issue by making my own plist specific to my pc using the edid method errandwolfe describes. After that I would want to get the sound working. I am just happy to be able to use my internal screen right now and can use it away from a monitor.

Also, the method of install I used was always to use gpt partitions and always leave 1st installed partition untouched. Modifying only the installation on 2nd, 3rd, etc., I was able to just mess with the files without having boot problems like having to use the DVD to boot. I also had an external HD with the DVD image on it. This helped me figure out that modifying the disk0s2(1st installed partition) would just make my disk boot loader not work and I would then have to repartition the whole disk. This method help prevent me from having to use bless.