The Canadian Dollar

26 posts in this topic

Dear Canadian dollar, oh how I love you.

You make me feel like a king as I arriveth in the US of A.

You shower me with gifts, as I come home with a $1000 (after tax) macbook, a $0.69 Big Mac, and several cases of Budweiser at $14 a case.

Oh Canadian dollar <3

:):P:D :D

Well, if I could visit the USA I could buy a MacBook for €749 or a MacBook Pro for €1,362!!!

Before the Euro became the common currency for 12 (now 13) European countries, when I wanted to drive to Italy I had to buy 6 different currencies at a local travel agency in Brighton, and pay commission for each of them. Once I told an assistant: "Soon I'll need only one currency in Europe". She replied, vitriolic: "It is a very weak currency anyway". I wish I could give her the middle finger now!

Yeah, I don't know why us Ontarians drink milk out bags... I've had so many burst all over my fridge.

I've bought alot of laptops in the last few months... including a TabletPC, and the macbook is by far the most impressive. Battery life on these new SR's are PHENOMENAL!

Anyways, I don't expect the Canadian dollar to shoot past $1.10, though.

I'm still thrilled that I payed nearly $400 less than what I would have in Canada... Apple Canada is a RIP-OFF.

Yeah, I don't know why us Ontarians drink milk out bags... I've had so many burst all over my fridge.

Really we have options: Bags, Cartons, or Jugs.

P.S. What the hell are you storing in your frig to have MANY burst? :)

Never had a bag burst in over 30 years including dropping ones. That is pretty tough plastic they use.

I've bought alot of laptops in the last few months... including a TabletPC, and the macbook is by far the most impressive. Battery life on these new SR's are PHENOMENAL!

Anyways, I don't expect the Canadian dollar to shoot past $1.10, though.

I'm still thrilled that I payed nearly $400 less than what I would have in Canada... Apple Canada is a RIP-OFF.

Yes it's great for Canadian consumers that can buy in the USA, (not all Canadians can), but on the flip side this increase is also having terribly detrimental effects for many Canadian industries that deal with US customers.

Like always what is a benefit to one citizen seems to end up screwing another.

Really we have options: Bags, Cartons, or Jugs.

P.S. What the hell are you storing in your frig to have MANY burst? ;)

It's the beer, my friend... maybe the bottles don't pop them, but me being drunk sure does.

Never had a bag burst in over 30 years including dropping ones. That is pretty tough plastic they use.

Yes it's great for Canadian consumers that can buy in the USA, (not all Canadians can), but on the flip side this increase is also having terribly detrimental effects for many Canadian industries that deal with US customers.

Like always what is a benefit to one citizen seems to end up screwing another.

Per se, it also creates healthy competition.

Hey, how much is gas for you Canadians? Here in California, the cheap stuff is about to become $4. ;)

It's aboot the same, eh. Where I am it's a buck a litre.

And Headrush, there's no need to mind over-the-river shopping when an even bigger problem occurs in Canada that ruins any chance of the survival of the mom and pop shops... *Points finger at Wal-Mart*

• 2 weeks later...

I had a funny conversation with a Nova Scotian the other day. He was making fun of the US because he saved money by buying a car here. Was my Highschool the only one that taught economics? When Currency A is strong against Currency B, people with Currency A take advantage of the fact that less of their money buys more in Currency B, thus moving economic activity from Country (Currency) A to Country (Currency) B.

So. If All new-car buyers in British Columbia can save money by buying in Washington, aren't they enriching Washingtonian car dealerships at the expense of their own BC car dealerships? As the premier example of a nation that has grown rich off of a weak currency, look to the west. +Points at China+

Because the Chinese Yuan (I believe) is weak against the US Dollar, my Dollar buys more Chinese goods and services than US goods and services. If the US Dollar became weaker tomorrow than the Chinese Yuan, then my US Dollar would not buy more Chinese goods than US goods, and it would be more efficient not only for me to buy goods made locally, but it would also be more efficient for China to buy more US goods.

So, no more tearing of hair. A strong Canadian dollar is a good thing for the US (at least as far as balance of trade is concerned). Whether it's a good thing for Canada, remains to be seen.

Another added benefit of a weakening US dollar is that foreign oil would become vastly more expensive, thus creating higher demand for (locally made) alternatives.