8800GT

Guest Snowski

29 posts in this topic

Guest Snowski

Hi guys,

I'm planning on buying a 8800GT but only if it's OSX86 compatible. Any idea if it already has support or if a driver is being released?

Thx in advance

Guest Snowski

Thx for keeping us updated m8.

I wouldn't mind if it only worked for Tiger since Leopard is still in it's early stages but I guess that will be out of the question too.

I don't believe anyone has got it working yet. It's a different core to the 8800gts (G92 vs G90). The 8800gts is the only 8-series card that works 100% ATMI don't believe anyone has got it working yet. It's a different core to the 8800gts (G92 vs G90). The 8800gts is the only 8-series card that works 100% ATM

The 512MB limit was a Video BIOS bug in 6/7 series cards and doesn't have any bearing on the 8s, which use a different driver. I think all the RAM works with the right Natit, but you'd have to ask somebody who's got one. I was just commenting that they're also known to work.

is there a way to get higher resolution than 1024x768 without graphics drivers?

I can live without core image / quartz extreme for a while

8800GT seems like a good card to replace the X1900XT on a Mac Pro, let's hope they do so in the next revision of it.

Is it possible to get Mac OS X to use the second graphics card? (I have 2 PCIe slots), if I mount my X1900XT in the other one, can I get Mac OS X to use that instead?

higher resolution is easy to get

but how to live without qe/ci???

it's like to boot in xp without vga drivers

yesterday came my 8800gt twintech and im gonna test

for you higher resolution

in darwin boot write

"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32"

(when it says press any key to boot or F8 bla bla bla.."

write the line with the [ " ]

higher resolution is easy to get

but how to live without qe/ci???

it's like to boot in xp without vga drivers

yesterday came my 8800gt twintech and im gonna test

for you higher resolution

in darwin boot write

"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32"

(when it says press any key to boot or F8 bla bla bla.."

write the line with the [ " ]

I know, it's horrible, but I really hope this is a temporary problem, and that the 8800GT will get full support in OS X.

yea if you have two pci slots, and you put an old card (say the geforce 7300) in the first, and the 8800gt in the second, could you use the first for mac and the second for windows?

I'm gonna try to see if this works, if it does, it almost would be solved, except all the DVI switching between the cards

yeah this would be a huge deal breaker for me on what i was going to buy in terms of video cards for my hackintosh rig. the 8800gts is less powerful but costs more than the 8800gt in most all benchmark comparisons from what i've recently read. i mean, i'd be fine with a gts if i could find one for the same price as a gt, especially since most of you have said it works rather flawlessly. either way, keep us all posted as to your tests to at least get higher res settings with the 8800gt.

as a followup to my previous reply, if anything, is it still possible to get the max resolution of your lcd with this vid card and what exists in leopard, or basically you're stuck at some low res like 1024x768 and you don't get any of the nice effects?

i just can't see spending the extra money for the 8800gts when the 8800gt is as or if not, more powerful and costs less.

if you were in my shoes, which would you do? or just say bump it and get an equally performing and priced ati card?

Guest Snowski

So how does not having QE/CI affect performance.

I'm not using osx for movies or other animated stuff but only for office and audio.

Does the desktop look different too?

I just want to know if it's still worth it.

Thx

So how does not having QE/CI affect performance.

I'm not using osx for movies or other animated stuff but only for office and audio.

Does the desktop look different too?

I just want to know if it's still worth it.

Thx

you'll only miss out some effects, exp for the widget,

but that don't really matters

I know, it's horrible, but I really hope this is a temporary problem, and that the 8800GT will get full support in OS X.

I'm gonna try to see if this works, if it does, it almost would be solved, except all the DVI switching between the cards

Reaktor, have you tried this yet, running two PCI-E cards on the same system where OSX uses the old card and Windows uses the new 8800GT? Please let me know whether it works if you tested it.

I have a badaxe2 board with two PCI-E 16X slots, so I'd like to buy a 8800GT for windows and keep the old 7600GT for OSX.

• 2 weeks later...
Using two cards will only work if you can disable the PCIE slot where you've got the 8800GT installed. Otherwise OS X will always detect and try to use the card.

Just to update,

I just upgraded to a 8800 GTS 640M, and Leopard (BrazilMac's method) booted fine with it. It only sees 256M, but I think I just need to upgrade the natit drivers to latest version so it sees all 640M.

Anyway, I have an extra PCI-E 16X slot so I installed my old card in it, a 7600GT 256M. So now I have a 8800GTS and a 7600GT in the same system. When I booted Leopard, it just freezes. Looking at the error messages, seems to be stuck at loading or starting the natit driver.

So it seems dual nvidia cards is not gonna work. It might help if both video cards are the same but I'm not sure about that.