Building a modern C2D/C2Q micro-ATX OSX x86 Leopard machine

35 posts in this topic

Hi,

I plan on building a small form mini-tower Intel Quad or Duo Hackintosh system... But so far, I am still blank what motherboard to choose. For the CPU, I already have two choices, either an e6850 or a q6600. I don't intend to overclock due to heat concerns.

I need an advise on what modern micro-atx motherboard to get. I basically need this to be used for Leopard GM. Thank you very much in advanced for your recommendations!

u can try to see and use a mini-ITX achitecture board for ur motherboard.

See here

sorry, but it's way off my plan. i just plan on using standard commonly available micro atx boards supporting both e6850 or q6600. thanks for the suggestion though.

still open for suggestions... anyone care to give their 2 cent advise? :D

Check the Biostar 945G Micro 775, everything work fine with Leopard including full audio support. (don't go with the 945GZ, is a different mobo and don't have full audio support). Enjoy. :(

thank you, but im afraid the 945 chipset as a whole doesn't support Q6600. it may support e6850, but it will force the bus to run in overclocked mode just to support the CPU which i may not be able to include on my setup.

bump still :-)

P5K-VM? I hear it's working 100%. You can even overclock it...Not as easy install as 945G though. But hey!http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=62111&st=0http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry438702edit: The gigabyte G33-DS3R is also supposed to be working...
thanks for the links, i actually saw those which led me into posting this query. however, what i am concerned is what i have encountered when i made the plunge to osx x86... and that is stability issues that were caused by, i guess, an osx-86 unfriendly board (foxconn 945g7md and asus p5b-vm).
Why Not just get a mac mini, Could possibly be cheaper....
as much as i can afford it, the problem is it cannot be expanded as much a hackintosh is :blink:

please let me clear things that im looking for a board that has all these:

- should be micro-atx (not ordinary atx)

- supports q6600 (quad-core cpu) AND e6850 (1333mhz fsb cpu)

- not 945G-based

- not g965-based

so, the candidates are either...

Asus P5K-VM

Gigabyte G33-DS3R

anyone would like to add to the list?

try an asus p5k or something... they're "mainstream" and they're supported SOOOOO WELL>...

But if you REALLY want a good hackintosh, penryn processors are coming out tomorrow.... best to get a mobo that supports them :wacko: oh yeah, a Core 2 Extreme QX9775 would run os x sooo well... lol..

thanks for the links, i actually saw those which led me into posting this query. however, what i am concerned is what i have encountered when i made the plunge to osx x86... and that is stability issues that were caused by, i guess, an osx-86 unfriendly board (foxconn 945g7md and asus p5b-vm).as much as i can afford it, the problem is it cannot be expanded as much a hackintosh is :D

please let me clear things that im looking for a board that has all these:

- should be micro-atx (not ordinary atx)

- supports q6600 (quad-core cpu) AND e6850 (1333mhz fsb cpu)

- not 945G-based

- not g965-based

so, the candidates are either...

Asus P5K-VM

Gigabyte G33-DS3R

anyone would like to add to the list?

i'd stay away from matx, everyone of them i ever encountered were noisy and they are not easily expandable....or it may be that i just don't care for them

• 2 weeks later...
i'd stay away from matx, everyone of them i ever encountered were noisy and they are not easily expandable....or it may be that i just don't care for them

Never had any problems like that. I moved to microATX as soon as I realised I didn't actually use any of the other expansions slots other than sound and graphics, and most people don't even need sound as it comes on-board in a quality that is good enough for most people. Other than the lack of extra slots, the board is exactly like an ATX board.

Not quite sure why you think they're any louder - I have a silent fan and a silent power supply and you can only ever hear the machine when the graphics card fan kicks in when I'm playing PC games.

I'm aiming to move to Quad Core, too and want to stick with Intel due to the new EFI tech. The two boards I'm considering are the DG33BU and the DG33TL but i've yet to hear any reports of compatibility.

The other option I'm looking at is to go with an E6700 and one of the compatible microATX boards, such as the D945GCL, as this will give me a decent system with similar speed to the Q6600, albeit not at the really heravy multi-core stuff - but how often do I need that?

I'd be interested to hear of your choice...

_loosh_

Never had any problems like that. I moved to microATX as soon as I realised I didn't actually use any of the other expansions slots other than sound and graphics, and most people don't even need sound as it comes on-board in a quality that is good enough for most people. Other than the lack of extra slots, the board is exactly like an ATX board.

Not quite sure why you think they're any louder - I have a silent fan and a silent power supply and you can only ever hear the machine when the graphics card fan kicks in when I'm playing PC games.

I'm aiming to move to Quad Core, too and want to stick with Intel due to the new EFI tech. The two boards I'm considering are the DG33BU and the DG33TL but i've yet to hear any reports of compatibility.

The other option I'm looking at is to go with an E6700 and one of the compatible microATX boards, such as the D945GCL, as this will give me a decent system with similar speed to the Q6600, albeit not at the really heravy multi-core stuff - but how often do I need that?

I'd be interested to hear of your choice...

_loosh_

that's what i've been thinking as well. get a decent 945g board and equip it with an e6700 (with 1066 bus). another choice would be to go to a g965 route and equip with a q6600 (with 1066 bus).

unfortunately, it may not be as flexible as just having a g33 board which supports both the cheaper e6750 or a q6600. which is why the question of OSX86 compatibility both leopard and tiger with G33 boards...

also, given the price difference and avaialbility of a e6700 (with 1066 bus) compared to a e6750 (with 1333 bus) and the additional bump in fsb, it's not a tough choice recommending the former over the latter.

Wait till January when the new 45NM Intel procs come out, and the PCI 2.0 chipsets are more mainstream.
but that will be a longshot for OSX86 compatibility

• 2 weeks later...