Intel GMA X3100

qzl722

289 posts in this topic

what happen with my laptop..monitor is 15inch..GMAX3100,,when i use 1280x800,,finder menu taskbar duplicate under dock bar..i tried use other resolusion,,desktop screen be small..i think, suittable resolution is 1280x800..any idea??

thx

hey guys, i've a problem about my vga intel GMA x3100

installation just like same with others

but the problem came when i tried my first boot

after loading apple screen, my vaio cr23g/l (quite old) got some error

sorry i can't show you the picture, but it looks like a blurry screen like a strange pattern (it's colour is violet and turned black after about 15seconds) after that, nothing happen

i dont know exactly what happen to that?

is there any solustion?

any answer will be really appreciated :D

actually, the screen is just like this

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, all

Question to CharredPC

Another acer extensa 5620 owner here.

Did you find solution to "cold boot" problem?

I tryed everithing i found with no go.

Thanks, buddy.

I PM'd you back. For everyone else's info, no, there doesn't seem to be a solution to this Acer cold-boot screen-glitch, and no one is working on it. The best solution I could find is to install iPC 10.5.6 and use sleep instead of shutting down. This makes for a much more reliable machine, without having to boot/crash multiple times to use it. iPC still has the scrambled screen on a cold bootup, but it happens less times in a row than it did with iDeneb. No idea why. Maybe it's even that the machine was in a certain state during install (cold or warm)...

Since it's mostly only our Acer machines that do this, and it doesn't seem to be OSX itself, I assume it's either the hardware or the BIOS. Since moving a USB mouse bypasses the issue (at least according to one user) I was leaning toward the Acer firmware as being the problem. If the machine physically is booting differently whether cold or warm, USB devices activated or not, it's no wonder we can't find any solution within OSX to stop it. And when it does glitch and die, we can't see find out how the display was scanned in... very frustrating.

I got so desperate to figure this out I even tore apart the Extensa 5620 BIOS code to see if anything could be tweaked. The problem could lie in the BIOS ACPI tables, as both GFX0 and the LCD are referenced and depending on different variables they are called in different ways. I'd post the code if anyone could find it helpful. It's a bit beyond me. My original thought was to figure out which method each are using, and remove all other options, forcing a proper bootup each time. This method may still work, but as I seemed to be the last person who cared about this issue, I ceased my efforts.

Hope this helps!

-CharredPC

Hi, all

Question to CharredPC

Another acer extensa 5620 owner here.

Did you find solution to "cold boot" problem?

I tryed everithing i found with no go.

Thanks, buddy.

I PM'd you back. For everyone else's info, no, there doesn't seem to be a solution to this Acer cold-boot screen-glitch, and no one is working on it. The best solution I could find is to install iPC 10.5.6 and use sleep instead of shutting down. This makes for a much more reliable machine, without having to boot/crash multiple times to use it. iPC still has the scrambled screen on a cold bootup, but it happens less times in a row than it did with iDeneb. No idea why. Maybe it's even that the machine was in a certain state during install (cold or warm)...

Since it's mostly only our Acer machines that do this, and it doesn't seem to be OSX itself, I assume it's either the hardware or the BIOS. Since moving a USB mouse bypasses the issue (at least according to one user) I was leaning toward the Acer firmware as being the problem. If the machine physically is booting differently whether cold or warm, USB devices activated or not, it's no wonder we can't find any solution within OSX to stop it. And when it does glitch and die, we can't see find out how the display was scanned in... very frustrating.

I got so desperate to figure this out I even tore apart the Extensa 5620 BIOS code to see if anything could be tweaked. The problem could lie in the BIOS ACPI tables, as both GFX0 and the LCD are referenced and depending on different variables they are called in different ways. I'd post the code if anyone could find it helpful. It's a bit beyond me. My original thought was to figure out which method each are using, and remove all other options, forcing a proper bootup each time. This method may still work, but as I seemed to be the last person who cared about this issue, I ceased my efforts.

Hope this helps!

-CharredPC

Thanks for reply.

It is very frustrating problem.

Hope someone with more knowledge then me find a workaround.

If i can help with anything - let me know.

I did everything in HooKeds guide except I used my own kext since I have an Intel GMA 950. Hooked only provided kexts for the GMA X3100. After the apple boot screen I get a black screen. Power + "s" + enter dosen't work. I tried holding down power while typing "s" + enter, but no luck. :blowup:

I have an Emachines, pentuim D, 1GB DDR2 Mem, GMA 950, 1440x900 monitor via VGA.

Any ideas? Workarounds? Slightest hint?

Remember: babysteps, I'm a newbie.

I'm not going bannanas or anything, so don't need to rush.

strange.. i installed retail 10.5.6 with grub-dfe.iso and video works ok no ci.. but i updated to 10.5.7 and reboted and i belive its working nicely! i did enable ci in osx86 tools tho . is anyones laptop running hotter than normal ? video seems to make it run hot. its a c712nr laptop x3100 is 0x2a02

I did everything in HooKeds guide except I used my own kext since I have an Intel GMA 950. Hooked only provided kexts for the GMA X3100. After the apple boot screen I get a black screen. Power + "s" + enter dosen't work. I tried holding down power while typing "s" + enter, but no luck. :(

I have an Emachines, pentuim D, 1GB DDR2 Mem, GMA 950, 1440x900 monitor via VGA.

Any ideas? Workarounds? Slightest hint?

Remember: babysteps, I'm a newbie.

I'm not going bannanas or anything, so don't need to rush.

boot with -f -s.

When you get to the shell prompt type

mount -uw /

mkdir /drivers

mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA* /drivers

reboot

that should at least get you 1024x768 with the VESA driver.

• 2 weeks later...
O.k Folks for people whom need the Driver it is now here.

At Some stage i will make a Driver Topic for all Intel based Laptops on the GM965 chipset.

I'm sorry but is rapidshare. Only uploadsite i have access to on my mobile net connection.

http://rapidshare.com/files/107134337/AppleX3100.zip.html

Or here if you hate rapidshare

http://xodeus.dk/files/AppleX3100_QE_CI.zip

Instructions to install.

1) Extract File To Desktop.

2) Delete the Files with the same name in you extensions folder as in the X3100 folder.

3) Copy over all the files to the extension folder minus the kexts.

4) Use Kexthelp 7b to install the Kexts.

5) Delete intergratedframebuffer.kext from the extensions folder.

6) Open Disk Utils and repair permissions.

7) Reboot Computer and boot with -F command.

It should now work Please let me know if it works on yours i need your specs to see if i can mod the drivers for you computer.

Enjoy.

P.S for those whom have the ID of 0x2a12 try the appleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext.rar file as i have changed ID's so let me know and if it works i'll make a universal file.

Man! You are kinda-god. Thanks a lot. Worked really nice on Dell Inspiron 1525 Hackbook OSx 10.5.3 Kalyway.

Love you! <3 &mac;

• 1 month later...
How you get x3100 working without sleep trick. Your Link is down.

My Dell Latitude D530 work with original 10.5.6 apple x3100 kext without Natit or efi,

but i need sleep trick.

hello friend.

i have Dell latitude d530 ..:)

sorry for my question but i don't now how to boot from the DVD, i try all distributions ideneb 10.5.6 10.5.7, Iatkos 10.5.7 ipc 10.5.6. but it's stop...at : IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 0:23"

nothink to do -v -f -x cpus=2 but no results.

can you tell me how you do to install il ( boot it)

Thanks .

I have a quick question. My laptop has X3100 (device id: 2a02), and it works right out of the box (QE/CI/GL, resolution change, external monitors (extended only, mirrored results in a messed up display).

I was wondering if there were any drivers that would work that would give me a little better performance. Minimizing windows and bringing up Dashboard can be sluggish. I also can't play YouTube videos in HD without it getting choppy.

Anybody? I don't wanna mess up anything that would result in a reinstall...

Finally! I've got my x3100 working with QE/CI. I have tried many versions of AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext but resulted to a black screen or mouse tearing. So here's what I do:

1. Removed all kinds of AppleIntelGMA kexts.

2. Use pacifist to extract iPC 10.5.6's x3100 kext.

3. Install extracted kext from iPC installer.

Simple huh?! By the way, I'm on Kalyway 10.5.2 and updated to 10.5.3 using the combo update. If you guys want the kexts that I'm using, let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
anyone sucessful with QE CI ON a latop with x3100? B)

I was able to get X3100 working on my XPS M1330 using the http://thinkclay.com/technology/my-hackint...e-1#comment-697

Install leopard on your lappy and select your packages. For keypad & keyboard to work, install the X86 ACPI packeges. When completed installation DO NOT RESTART. Load up terminal then type: cd /Volumes/(hdd name)/Systems/Library/Extentensions, hit enter. delete all 5 GMAX files with the command: rm -rf (GMAX FILES). Reboot and complete installation. Everything works except sound, you will get a native video of 1024×768…dont worry! Download the dellpackages USE ONLY THE V1.3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Install the X1300 ONLY!!!!! follow instructions and REBOOT. You will get a black screen with a visible arrow…DONT WORRY. Reboot, press F8 the type: -x -v. Download and install the LeopardGraphicsUpdate 1.0 and install it with Pacifist. Replace all GMAX files. Reboot and have fun!!!!!! Install the sound with the DellPackages V1.3 ONLY.

Dell Laptop Post Installer 1.3.1

• 2 months later...

After trying for almost a month, and tired of using 1024x768 resolution, finally I managed to get x3100 (Internal Display) working on my Dell Inspiron 1525.

I was using Kalyway 10.5.2 and kexts from this page with sleep display trick to run the internal display at 1280x800 resolution.

After upgrading to 10.5.8, now I don't have to put the display to sleep and then wake it up for 1280x800 resolution.

I am not sure what happened after that upgrade however I have deleted some kexts after the upgrade by using mac drive in windows (m dual booting with this leopard windows 7). the deleted kexts are AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedframebuffer.kext

And everything is fine now!

Specs:

Intel Core2Duo 2.0 Ghz

4 GB DDR2 Ram

160 GB HDD

Intel GM965 (x3100) Onboard Graphics

• 1 month later...
Somebody got QE/CI with the version 10.6.2 ?

Just so you know for the future, spamming multiple old threads with the same (unhelpful) question is very much frowned upon behavior in any forum. Especially in this case, where a little searching or reading could have told you the answer.

Which is yes, by the way. My X3100 works fine in 10.6.2, thanks for asking.

• 1 month later...
Hey guys after trying to get this damn Display working I was finally able to do it with out Natit. Do this at your own risk.

screenshot.png

Ok lets start the work

you will need these kexts http://onekoncctv.com/mac/gmax3100_kexts.zip

Doanload those, extract and save them.

You will also need kexthelper if you have Kalyway 10.5.1 you should already have this.

Remove the Natit kext if you had installed that also remove all the gma950 kexts from /System/Library/Extensions

Open Kexthelper and drag and drop those 5 extracted files you downloaded earlier in the top kexthelper window then put in your password and click "easy install"

Once kexthelper finishes it will tell you everything is ok and you can reboot, before you do this open terminal and type

diskutil repairpermissions /

wait for that to finish once that is done type

reboot

once the computer reboots and passes the gray apple screen your screen will remain blank (black screen)

press the power button on your laptop then press the button s and then press enter on your keyboard

woohoo your screen should be displaying now with your 1280x800 resolution

Note this will also fix your Chicony webcam as you can see from the screen shot

Let me know your results.

HooKed

it's work bro. i install it in kalyway 10.5.2, lenovo 3000 y410. thanx again for sharing.

but still i have problem with my network and sound, could not detected. is anybody have the same problem ?

please sharing.....please....please....please....

any solution to get this work on Snow Leopard 10.6.2?

I had X3100 and when i install drivers, my LCD is black. I can log on by VNC from another mac, and i see that Drivers and resolution is working, but still no screen. When i delete Kext i get only 1024x800 and no driver support.

I tried DSDT pathing, with removing CRT, or adding new lines from other posts. but still no succes.

Any suggestion?

Try putting the screen to sleep, or selecting sleep from the apple menu, top right. I had the same issue, with 10.6.0 and 10.6.2 and I noticed it would come on miraculously after quite a while without touching anything. This means that the laptop would go to sleep and immediately switch back on. its an old thing I remember from at least 2 years ago with leopard. So to avoid needing to vnc in all the time go to expose menu in system preferences and set on of the corners to sleep and when you are sure your macine is all logged in and running, but screen is still back drag your mouse to that corner. Dont worry sometimes you have to do it a few times, I use bottom left, and it turns on after you let it sit in the corner a sec, You will get the hang of it when you do it a few times. I had a mac and moved the hard drive over to my dell studio 1535 with a gmax3100 vid card. Thinks are working ok, I need to figure out the dsdt patching stuff cause I am using the myHack installer to boot the internal harddrive from a usb key. Proc runs at nearly half speed but both cores work. I miss my mac dearly, but this will do till I buy another. Good luck homeskillet.

Now if we could just get HDMI working out of this vid card on SL I would be quite happy

any solution to get this work on Snow Leopard 10.6.2?

I had X3100 and when i install drivers, my LCD is black. I can log on by VNC from another mac, and i see that Drivers and resolution is working, but still no screen. When i delete Kext i get only 1024x800 and no driver support.

I tried DSDT pathing, with removing CRT, or adding new lines from other posts. but still no succes.

Any suggestion?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am running SL 10.6.3 on a Dell XPS M1330 with T8300 and Intel X3100 and have problems with the resolution of the display (1024x768 instead of 1280x800).

That's what I did:

- I created a DSDT.aml with linux as described in Making a DSDT.aml (included Patches: DTGB Method, Fix USB Devices Randomly Not Working, HD Audio Patching, IDE Fix, and the final patches with DSDT Patcher). The DSDT was compiled with no errors.

- I installed chameleon RC4 on an USB stick for testing and copied the necessary kext files on the stick:

File structure USB stick

boot

/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

/Extra/dsdt.aml

/Extra/smbios.plist

/Extra/Extensions/AppleACIPPS2Nub.kext

/Extra/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext

/Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext

/Extra/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

/Extra/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

/Extra/Extensions/VoodooBattery.kext

/Extra/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext

/Extra/Extensions/VoodooTSCSync.kext

/library/

/usr/

com.apple.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Hide Partition</key>
<string>hd(1,3)</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>DropSSDT=Y</string>
<string>arch=x86_64</string>
<key>Rescan</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x800x32</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>0</string>
<key>SMBIOSdefaults</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>DSDT</key>
<string>rd(0,0)/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>
</dict>
</plist>

smbios.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBP51.88Z.0074.B00.0810241236</string>
<key>SMboardmanufacter</key>
<string>Dell Inc.</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>XPS M1330</string>
<key>SMexternalclock</key>
<string>200</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>Mac</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMmaximalclock</key>
<string>2400</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_1</key>
<key>SMmemmanufacter_2</key>
<key>SMmempart_1</key>
<string>DDR2 SDRAM</string>
<key>SMmempart_2</key>
<string>DDR2 SDRAM</string>
<key>SMmemserial_1</key>
<string>00FF0000</string>
<key>SMmemserial_2</key>
<string>000736TU</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>667</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>19</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro5,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>XXXXXXXXXXXX</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
<key>SMboardid</key>
<string>Mac-F42D86C8</string>
<key>SMboarduuid</key>
<string>00000000-0000-0001-8000-001E4C6405B5</string>
<key>SMmembankloc_1</key>
<string>BANK</string>
<key>SMmemdevloc_1</key>
<string>DIMM_A</string>
<key>SMmembankloc_2</key>
<string>BANK</string>
<key>SMmemdevloc_2</key>
<string>DIMM_B</string>
</dict>
</plist>

My problem

- The resolution of the display is wrong, 1024x768 instead of 1280x800

Does anyone know how to solve the problem?

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Michael