Latest Leopard Installation Methods Information (Intel SSE3)

Conroe Mac

109 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if the Multilingual image found in on usenet will work? The reason I ask is that it will take about an hour and change for me to grab that, whereas via BT I'll need about 3 -5 days. My ISP employs traffic shaping and I get rather rotten speeds over some protocols.

Cheers

I'm going to be trying it on a fresh hard drive soon with these specs:

AMD opteron 175

DFI lan party UT expert

8800GTS

500gb WD sata (windows)

320gb SG sata (fresh one to try this with)

Sound blaster audigy

My guess is, is that i wont have any sound or display haha

but ill keep everyone updated

only have 1 HDD ;). I have to upgrade from tiger the hard way.

Deadmoo-leo seems legitimate from the comments on demonoid. you need a separate HDD though.

@doobaadoo - Dell's arent the best for installing Hackintoshes. I saw a guide for E520s somewhere on here that seems working.

I have a E521 that's the bad one :D

Hello, I don't understand why the patch is applied to username folder. if you can't boot Leopard BEFORE doing that how could you create the user account and the relative directories?

The postpatch is applied to Leopard from a Tiger installation or it can be done through a USB disk.

Anyone got Leopard running on a BadAxe2 board yet?

I followed brazil's instructions, everything went well until I tried to boot Leopard. I get stuck on this error:

ERROR: Firewire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

I'm not sure if thats the actual problem but thats the last line it got stuck on. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Yup - it's now my main system - used Migrate to pull everything off Tiger - had to re-install a few things, but solid as a rock on a Badaxe2. Have yet to patch sound, but bluetooth headsets work at last with old BToes USB adapter.

The firewire msg appears last but it's not the cause of your problem. Upload a digital camera shot of the screen so we can have a look.

I've got a surprise up my sleeve. Things are busy right now, but if all goes according to plan, a good surprise will come tomorrow which will make installation easier. =) If things don't go according to plan, then I don't know what you're talking about... Isn't all this waiting awful fun?

I've been having trouble with booting off an IDE drive on my asus p5ld2-vm. Boot issues have been plaguing me for a couple days now and I just can't get anything to work...anyone have any good tutorials or walkthroughs. much appreciated

Conroe - any hint as to who the new release is from?

Me *LOL* Don't expect a DVD or anything fancy, but I might have a simpler installation method. Oh and regarding IDE, I know there's a patch for the 965P-ds3 so there might be a patch for your board.

I've got a surprise up my sleeve. Things are busy right now, but if all goes according to plan, a good surprise will come tomorrow which will make installation easier. =) If things don't go according to plan, then I don't know what you're talking about... Isn't all this waiting awful fun?

Hmm, now you have me interested... :)

conroe - Nice...look forward to your release. I remember getting things working starting back with the deadmoo image and don't really remember these problems with boot issues... unfortunately it seems most of these topics are going to turn into the old 'i have xxx board and system how can I get it to work'. It seems as though with the number of patches i've seen out there it's almost like there will be a release for each system unless we see a large distribution release from the usual parties.

lots of new users I can see in this topic - always remember to google/wiki/search before asking questions or posting new topics to limit the number of repeated topics and welcome

The idea behind this thread isn't to help people get their systems up. It's to keep up-to-date with the latest installation methods so that when a new technique comes out people can try it. As far as hardware goes, I know of two boards that work: GA-965P-DS3 and P5W-DH. If you want to try, go for it. =) The installation methods thus far are not for everyone so don't expect a click and wait experience. My advice is, if you don't know some unix, have never installed OS X86 before, don't know what kexts your hardware requires, or don't feel comfortable playing with all your hard drive partitions, this is definitely not for you. Please wait for the dvd, it's coming I swear. You'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration.

The first patchless DVD has come out. I am still working on my install project, but I don't know if it's worth pursuing. Basically I was looking for a way to create a .dmg of the leopard partition which could installed from an installation disc. Since diskutil offers partition resizing now, you could upscale the partition easily after installing the .dmg I have create which is 7GB in size (3 GB in compressed form for dowload). Unfortunately, diskutil doesn't play nice with images on ntfs drives, so it looks like the solution would require a second DVD rom drive or perhaps a second hard drive. The point of this was to simplify the install method, but that sounds more complicated. It was also supposed to hold over until the DVD. The DVD is here =) Now, it's not the DVD we wanted with AMD support and the back catalogue of fixes, but there is a dvd now and that is the method of installation that I recommend.

Please please please, whatever you surprise is, send it to some place other than demonoid so us canadians dont get fuuuuu(you know the rest)..Abysmal
Sorry, the CRIA sucks. The only place I know of right now won't work out for you. Hopefully someone will move it over to another tracker soon. If the RIA did that in the US, I would never buy another CD again. Support artists, not labels, buy direct if you can or buy it from a source that doesn't enforce DRM. I've bought a copy of In Rainbows recently directly from Radiohead. It was pay however much you think it's worth (some paid 0), but I paid about $8 because I believe that is what an album is worth and not the ridiculous prices you see at the store. The best part is the money goes directly to the band. The RIA and CRIA are dinosaurs, but they still have a lot of life left in them.