Latest Leopard Installation Methods Information (Intel SSE3)

Conroe Mac

109 posts in this topic

You are correct to suspect your graphics card. Family specific matching fails means that your graphics card is not being recognized. You might try installing some kexts in single user mode to get your 7600GS working.

It seems problem is more global. I put GF card away from computer, and now my experiments are only with onboard gma. I tried to rename Finder.app to loginwindow.app to determine problem, and now i'm pretty sure problem is in video drivers. It's very strange cause i see some happy stories with gma950. My platform is near reference. Maybe somwhere is GMA 950 drivers in standalone package for Tiger? And one more question: what files (kexts, frameworks) this driver consists of?

It seems problem is more global. I put GF card away from computer, and now my experiments are only with onboard gma. I tried to rename Finder.app to loginwindow.app to determine problem, and now i'm pretty sure problem is in video drivers. It's very strange cause i see some happy stories with gma950. My platform is near reference. Maybe somwhere is GMA 950 drivers in standalone package for Tiger? And one more question: what files (kexts, frameworks) this driver consists of?

I can't help you with that. Someone else may be able to chime in, but I think you should refer to a thread that deals directly with graphics and the GMA 950. You might have more luck that way.

Got a quick question while I'm waiting at 97.7% for the DVD to finish downloading...

I'm going to install Leopard on a 2nd drive, leaving Vista intact on the first drive.

According to the instructions I'm going to have to format the other drive as HFS+

My question is how do I get Leopard to boot of this drive and not the Vista drive when the computer restarts?

Will using diskpart to set my Leopard drive to 'active' work? Or is there a partition manager software that I should be using instead?

Thanks

can I install Leopard using these methods available over my Tiger intallation, as an upgrade? Will it keep my configuration and kexts untouched? thanx in advance.
Not at this point in time. Remember that kexts get replaced with newer versions... you could save your kexts and replace the installed ones after installing leopard.
Got a quick question while I'm waiting at 97.7% for the DVD to finish downloading...I'm going to install Leopard on a 2nd drive, leaving Vista intact on the first drive.According to the instructions I'm going to have to format the other drive as HFS+My question is how do I get Leopard to boot of this drive and not the Vista drive when the computer restarts?Will using diskpart to set my Leopard drive to 'active' work? Or is there a partition manager software that I should be using instead?Thanks
Diskpart should work. There are many solutions for this question and it's not really related to Leopard per se. Some are chain0, grub, acronis, etc..
Got a quick question while I'm waiting at 97.7% for the DVD to finish downloading...I'm going to install Leopard on a 2nd drive, leaving Vista intact on the first drive.According to the instructions I'm going to have to format the other drive as HFS+My question is how do I get Leopard to boot of this drive and not the Vista drive when the computer restarts?Will using diskpart to set my Leopard drive to 'active' work? Or is there a partition manager software that I should be using instead?Thanks
Diskpart should work. There are many solutions for this question and it's not really related to Leopard per se. Some are chain0, grub, acronis, etc..

the weirdest thing happened to me on my Dell E1505 with gm950.

I tried the installation probably 5 times and always ended up with a blinking cursor after final boot. I was sure it had to do with the bootloader (not present or wrong settings). I booted from a 10.4.10 disk and tried rd disk... to boot from the correct partition. it would start the apple logo and some spinning and then reboot.

but the very last time I did this I decided, heck I reinstall tiger (10.4.10). when I tried to boot from the DVD I missed to press a key or was very close to when it starts to boot from default. In any case, it booted into Leopard. I couldn't believe my eyes. everything ran fine. then I tried to reboot and since then I see the blinking cursor again ;)

what made it work? I have no idea. I just wait for an easy installation disk and try it again in a couple weeks. It looked good while I had it, hehe.

later

Anyone got Leopard running on a BadAxe2 board yet?

I followed brazil's instructions, everything went well until I tried to boot Leopard. I get stuck on this error:

ERROR: Firewire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

I'm not sure if thats the actual problem but thats the last line it got stuck on. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Not at this point in time. Remember that kexts get replaced with newer versions... you could save your kexts and replace the installed ones after installing leopard.

So if I´m sure I have all the kexts I need for my hardware could I install Leopard on the same partition as tiger and it would be properly upgraded? Or it would mess things up?

And if yes, I´d just have to follow the same procedures I did in tiger to install the kexts and everything will work? Or it´s not that simple?

thanks!

New Problem...

After patching I still cant oot into leopard. Will Blessing it work ( from Terminal off of the disk) or what?

After the Patch when Ireboot all i get is a blinking underscore bu nothing ever happens.\

I am running a DELL E1405

Core Duo 1.66 ( On Single Core only)

Intel GMA 950 ( Same as Macbooks)

1gb Ram

Please give me any idea!

Thanks

Spencer

I'm trying the "3 easy steps" method with the pre-patched DVD....but how do I name the USB drive to "Patcher"? Because in Windows Vista it is automatically changed to "PATCHER" (with all capital letters). Does that matter? And how do I fix it? Thanks for any help!

ragged, you need to change the patcher script in either wordpad or notepad from Patcher to PATCHER, worked for me. Also, make sure the leopard path is correct. In mine I had to change from Leopard to OSX as that was the case on my machine.

ragged, you need to change the patcher script in either wordpad or notepad from Patcher to PATCHER, worked for me. Also, make sure the leopard path is correct. In mine I had to change from Leopard to OSX as that was the case on my machine.

Oh! But i just looked in the 9a581PostPatch.sh file and I could not make out what text had to be changed, could you please tell me the lines that had to be changed in there? I'd really appreciate it. :unsure:

Yep, I've got it running on my Bad Axe 2 system using BrazilMac's patch.

Had to manually apply the bootloader code to the partition though. Booting from a SATA drive with a PATA burner and extra HD for Time Machine :unsure:

Used Taruga's Apple HDA patcher with the Intel Audio Update driver and the usual Natit stuff to get my X1600 running. Everything works fine with full QE/CI.

Oh! But i just looked in the 9a581PostPatch.sh file and I could not make out what text had to be changed, could you please tell me the lines that had to be changed in there? I'd really appreciate it. :)

it took me three installs to actually look at the script. I guess a lot of things are taken for granted with this install (e.g. that a noob like me better look at the scripts). in the script file 9a581PostPatch.sh look at the first lines.

--------------------

IFS=$'\n' # important!

PATCH="/Volumes/PATCHER/files/leopatch/" # path to the patched extensions

LEO="/Volumes/OSX" # path to Leopard installation

-------------------

look at the path settings. This one here points to my usb drive (PATCH) and my leopard disk (LEO). these two lines set the path for the rest of the script. also note that paths are case sensitive. I was not able to rename my USB to Patcher for example.

Had to manually apply the bootloader code to the partition though. Booting from a SATA drive with a PATA burner and extra HD for Time Machine ;)

How do you apply the bootloader code manually? I think I must do this too, but I don't know how^^

So if I´m sure I have all the kexts I need for my hardware could I install Leopard on the same partition as tiger and it would be properly upgraded? Or it would mess things up?And if yes, I´d just have to follow the same procedures I did in tiger to install the kexts and everything will work? Or it´s not that simple?thanks!
People in the 965p-ds3 thread are reporting good results upgrading from 10.4.8 and then postpatching:http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...20&start=20

Yep, I've got it running on my Bad Axe 2 system using BrazilMac's patch.

Had to manually apply the bootloader code to the partition though. Booting from a SATA drive with a PATA burner and extra HD for Time Machine :D

Used Taruga's Apple HDA patcher with the Intel Audio Update driver and the usual Natit stuff to get my X1600 running. Everything works fine with full QE/CI.

I couldn't get leo to boot on my badaxe2, is there anything particular you did besides brazilmac's instruction? I'll try your manual bootloader fix, but that shouldn't be the reason why its not booting right? I'm using the rd=diskXsX switch to boot Leopard at the moment. Thanks for any advice.

I couldn't get leo to boot on my badaxe2, is there anything particular you did besides brazilmac's instruction? I'll try your manual bootloader fix, but that shouldn't be the reason why its not booting right? I'm using the rd=diskXsX switch to boot Leopard at the moment. Thanks for any advice.

No your problem seems to be different, if you get that firewire error I guess your boot loader is OK.

Besides the bootloader fix, I changed the two lines in 9a581-PostPatch.sh that read

PATCH="/files-post/" # path to the patched extensions

LEO="/Volumes/Leopard"

to

PATCH="/Users/USERNAME/Desktop/9a581-patch/files-post" # path to the patched extensions

LEO="/Volumes/Hackintosh"

so that it matched my system and the patch would run properly. Note lack of trailing slashes.

Thanks svsmurf, I got it leo to boot on my Bad Axe 2 now :( . Everything seems to be working except for audio, but the HDA Patcher took care of that. I have an nvidia 7600GT and I didn't need to install any drivers, QE/CI is working. And I'm running dual monitors and didn't need to do anything special to get it working. This is a very nice release, more testing is needed to make sure everything work, but this seems to be the best OSx86 release yet.