Ubuntu 7.10 finally released!

Dr. Hurt

27 posts in this topic

Finally after a long wait Ubuntu 7.10 Gusty Gibbon has been released today (October 18 2007).

New features include:

- New Gnome 2.20

- Compiz-Fusion is now installed and enabled by default on capable systems.

- Fast user switching like the one in OS X.

- New dynamic monitor detection and configuration.

- NTFS write supported by default using NTFS-3G.

- Less power consumption thanks to the new kernel featuring dynticks.

Any many many more....

More information and download link here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/710tour

I'm downloading it now. ;)

Report your experience and opinion here.

I am really curious how NTFS-3g works...

It's works VERY well under ubuntu. It's fast, stable, and doesn't affect system performance like on OS X. Remember that NTFS-3g was originally designed for Linux.

i have been using the rc version which i believe should updated to the new release with the auto update..

working great no problems and can write to my ntfs drive without any issues at all.. all hardware including bluetooth working out of the box for my laptop asus f3e.

I tried several download locations, almost anyone is very slow, the fastest I can get is 20kb/s.

Any recommendation?

I downloaded it for a friend. I used Internet Download Manager in Windows. I was done in less than 2 hours.

I used an Italian mirror, but funny enough I can't find it any longer.

Else wait for the torrent, that is the best option when all the mirrors are overloaded.

wont be sudo apt-get dist-upgade -ing anytime this week. Any Beta, RC, or Final build from Ubuntu is always slow the first 2 weeks. i'll wget it just before The Cat gets loose. As of now, openSUSE 10.3 loads in less than 20 seconds. But who really cares when one restarts a home linux box once a month or on every kernel upgrade?

I'm surprised any linux distro works with VPC ;). Why do you have reservations using the other better alternatives Nonny?

Being quite stupid, I downloaded the full DVD version, but oh well. The only thing I'm a bit curious about (since I performed a fresh install, not an aptitude update), was that, at least the DVD version, Gnome was 2.18.x (updatable to 2.20 easily). My guess is that's where they froze it, but I suppose if 2.20 is already on your system, they won't DOWNGRADE you. I'm just curious as to where others' situations are on this.

I got it, I ran it, now it works on my Dell, it also uses the ALSA driver for sound and I get sound from speakers, it has som probs with gnome-something.

Now I'm waiting for the Kubuntu version <_>

EDIT:

Hey it's released, downloading now :D

I got it, I ran it, now it works on my Dell, it also uses the ALSA driver for sound and I get sound from speakers, it has som probs with gnome-something.

Now I'm waiting for the Kubuntu version ;)

EDIT:

Hey it's released, downloading now :o

Could save time

Terminal

sudo apt-get install kubuntu desktop

Thanks for the tip, anyway Ubuntu is not installed on my systems, just want to run from the CD.

Kubuntu CD was a better option for me, it configured beatter and easier my Bluetooth, also no crashes like ubuntu, it also has qtparted, better for HFS partitions than gparted.

Is there a way to save my settings? Knoppix can save my settings in an image file on my fat32 partition, so next time I run from the CD I can reload last settings.

Maybe when I get a bigger HD I can set up a partition for Kubuntu.

Is there a way to save my settings? Knoppix can save my settings in an image file on my fat32 partition, so next time I run from the CD I can reload last settings.

Yes, but via a USB stick.

Read this but follow this guide this

There is a bug with connecting to wireless networks via the Linksys WUSB54G Wireless-G USB Adapter. It can roam and see networks, and it will ask for a WEP key, but it wont be able to connect properly.

Try this,

go to etc/network/interfaces

and add this

auto ra1
iface ra1 inet dhcp
pre-up ifconfig ra1 up
wireless-essid <whatever your wireless id is>
wireless-key <whatever your key is>

*remove parenthesis (duh!)

Thanks for the tip, anyway Ubuntu is not installed on my systems, just want to run from the CD.

Kubuntu CD was a better option for me, it configured beatter and easier my Bluetooth, also no crashes like ubuntu, it also has qtparted, better for HFS partitions than gparted.

Maybe when I get a bigger HD I can set up a partition for Kubuntu.

I have had nothing but untold trouble trying to install, configure and use Ubuntu 7.10.

I can't understand how a contemporary Linux distro can be so buggy and lacking and yet so successful (and no, I did approach it with a totally open mind).