New Intel Macs: iMac, MacBook Pro

Swad

149 posts in this topic

Steve Jobs rarely disappoints.

During his Keynote address today, El Steve announced that Apple's first Intel based computers will be the iMac and the MacBook Pro, although the entire product line will be making the transition this year (!). The iMac will be based on a dual core processor (presumably Yonah) and will be equipped with iLife 06 and iWork 06 universal binaries from the start. Pro apps will be universal by March. The software Steve demoed was running on an Intel Mac – did you expect any less? The new iMacs will be shipping today in 17" and 20" models.

Microsoft is working on porting Office to Intel and Steve noted that they’ve worked hard to make sure that Office ran well under Rosetta. Quark unibin will be released today. On Photoshop, Steve said, “The Performance of Photoshop in Rosetta isn't going to be powerful enough for a professional ... it's fast enough for those of us who use it occasionally.”

OS X 10.4.4 will also be released today with some new widgets. A new iLife with “photocasting” is out this morning as well.

We’ll have full analysis of this news later today (after I watch the keynote!). Thanks to MacRumors and engadget for their live coverage of the news.

The days of the Intel Mac are upon us.

Quark unibin will be released today.

I'd like to add that it's still in "beta" stage, so no final. But nevertheless, this casual remark about Quark must be quite embarrassing for the Adobe folks who insisted on the last keynote on which the switch was announced that they will be among the very first third-party developers to get their apps out as unibins. Is this positive mentioning of Quark Apple's reaction to Adobe's nasty move of publishing an early Lightroom beta in order to undercut sales of Aperture? ;-)

Btw, the Apple store is back up. Buy! :sorcerer:

You forgot to mention that MS will be working on sycing Windows Mobile devices to the Office Suite. That is the only thing that is keeping me from ditching XP. I didnt get a USD$900 pda phone and not be able to sync my outook and install applications:).

Complete Specs for iMac and MacBook Pro.

Sorry Domino, I didn't catch that about Windows PDAs on the sites I was watching. That is good news, though.

I'll have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of the name "MacBook." I guess they wanted to leave the "Power" name behind with the "PowerPC."

Update: Check out their Intel page. It looks like they've got their own intel logo they'll use. The "Universal" icon is nice too.

So maybe I'll be able to throw an X1600 in my PC and run Core Image/Quartz Extreme with 10.4.4? And use both monitors? That'd be sweet.

Hell, maybe it'll even recognize both cores of my X2...

Edited by complex

LOL, Mash. You can name it anything you like. With dual core and 667 DDR, that thing will run circles around any notebook. The price is about the same as any high end P4 notebook. Thats good news to me. Now if Macromedia and Adobe could shift to 5th gear...

I wonder how long it wil take untill we see anti-tpm-patched versions of 10.4.4 in the wild...

Anyway, MacIntel looks bloody great. Webstore seems to be overloading here in Belgium :sorcerer: I'm still hoping Autodesk will produce their Autocad and 3Ds max for OS X. I'm an industrial designer and those application are the only thing that's keeping me stuck to windows... But now with X86... I see hope :D

hi all ,

This was the news I was waiting for all these years :D .Thank God :D it was realised.I would like to see apple dominating the desktop market and on majority of personal computers very soon with its really cool & superior operating system :D & overpowering micro$oft :sorcerer: in terms of leading OS on desktops !

Cheers,

Ramana

Domino, Lets hope the os has some sort of multithreading enabled, otherwise itmight be wasted horsepower until they learn to harness it.

According to others, Rosetta is greatly accelerated by the dual core, when running PPC native Apps, One core dedicates itself to emulation on Rosetta and the other for everything else. I think it would stand to reason that using compeltely X86 native apps would really make that sucker fly.

I cannot wait until some benchmarks come out. You can really run almost any benchmark you want here, just throw the proper OS on and AWAAAAAY you go. However I dont know what I'd do without my right mouse button, hmm maybe its time for a do it yourself mod :sorcerer:, Ill send it into MAKE magazine....

BTW I have scoured both intels and Apples site, but cannot figure out what type of chipset they use for their wireless... any thoughts anyone? "airport extreme" aint too descriptive.

Man, im gonna be drooling all year over this laptop.

-Stray

I wish they put 1gb RAM in as standard. And I thought they were supposed to get cheaper? They need to be a little more competitive with pricing. It's a much nicer computer than any PC but it's also almost twice what I would want to spend. You are getting more quality for your money and Mac OS so there is a large benefit. I want to switch to a MAC, maybe I'll wait for the iBook, although maybe it won't be dual core.

Edited by jdsony

ok...well...but what about ibook(maybe it calls "macbook")?I`m still waiting for ibook 12".And steve job says "the entire product line will be making the transition this year (!)".After he said this what am i supposed to do?

Domino, Lets hope the os has some sort of multithreading enabled, otherwise itmight be wasted horsepower until they learn to harness it.

According to others, Rosetta is greatly accelerated by the dual core, when running PPC native Apps, One core dedicates itself to emulation on Rosetta and the other for everything else. I think it would stand to reason that using compeltely X86 native apps would really make that sucker fly.

I cannot wait until some benchmarks come out. You can really run almost any benchmark you want here, just throw the proper OS on and AWAAAAAY you go. However I dont know what I'd do without my right mouse button, hmm maybe its time for a do it yourself mod :sorcerer:, Ill send it into MAKE magazine....

BTW I have scoured both intels and Apples site, but cannot figure out what type of chipset they use for their wireless... any thoughts anyone? "airport extreme" aint too descriptive.

Man, im gonna be drooling all year over this laptop.

-Stray

for prior PowerBooks, they used BroadCom 802.11g chipset. No idea if they changed the chipset for the new Intel Macs. They could be using an Intel PRO/Wireless chipset to complete the Centrino Duo platform.

as far as the right mouse button, you could buy a multi button mouse and the right mouse button will function fine as the context menu. It's just that OS X isn't as dependent on the context menu usage as Windows.

ok...well...but what about ibook(maybe it calls "macbook")?I`m still waiting for ibook 12".And steve job says "the entire product line will be making the transition this year (!)".After he said this what am i supposed to do?

hmm ididnt notice that.... a quick google scan of "1440 by 900" shows several high end monitors of the same size.... hmmmm

Im assuming you do a lot of design, to need a larger resolution. its funny to see companies like dell offering "great deals" on laptops with xga resolution, who could possibly work with only 1024 x 768 and get any work done?

good luck with the Fiance' If he needs convincing let me know... ill straighten him out XD

-Stray

Yeah. That's the whole point of Rosetta.

Umm.. not so fast.

Apple:

If you already own Final Cut Studio 1.0, Aperture, or Logic Pro 7.1, these applications are not supported to run on Intel-based Macs with Rosetta...

http://www.apple.com/rosetta/

My take on this is that the Altivec version of Rosetta that apparently surfaced recently does work well enough for the general public (which should not be surprising due to the limitations of SSE3) and is not going into the OSx86 public release (10.4.4).

Edited by bofors

When you have a look on www.apple.com/macosx, it reads about Mac OS X on Intel. For me this looks like one can buy it now.

I may be wrong, because I can't imagine Apple to sell Mac OS X for Intel right now, but at the same time I ask myself why they shouldn't.

for prior PowerBooks, they used BroadCom 802.11g chipset. No idea if they changed the chipset for the new Intel Macs. They could be using an Intel PRO/Wireless chipset to complete the Centrino Duo platform.

as far as the right mouse button, you could buy a multi button mouse and the right mouse button will function fine as the context menu. It's just that OS X isn't as dependent on the context menu usage as Windows.

thanks fo the info, Im hoping there is a driver in the next release for the intel 2200 bg wireless card. Its stands to reason they would want to use as much of the centrino schemes power saving features as possible....

-Stray

MAN, Canu tell im bored at work?

PS CYMAN, I may be misunderstanding you but- supposedly the OSX will only run on hardware wih Intels TPM chip, hence selling OSX for just any old computer isnt a possibilty since it wont run (unless MAxxuss has some input).

slightly pointless for them to sell OS X for Intel now...I mean....all the new Intel iMacs and MacBook next month will ship with the OS X Installation DVD

are they encouraging people to hack it? lol

exciting times indeed. Unfortunately it looks like they are sticking to ATI, meaning no drivers for my GeForce.

Domino, Lets hope the os has some sort of multithreading enabled, otherwise itmight be wasted horsepower until they learn to harness it....

-Stray

I'm gonna sit back and watch things unfold. I learned many years ago not to buy "Top of the line" computing toy. When I do, I always regret it. I'm really on the lookout for the desktopv version anyway.

cyrana, congrats on the nuptial thing.. the "W" word is a curse word in my home. Why spend money? Just add it to the list of things you want so you guests can pay for it. t least I think that's how it's suppose to work.