Blu-Ray for MacBook Pros

Numberzz

29 posts in this topic

Today, Fastmac released an upgrade to the DVD drives in Apple's latest computers. The upgrade is a bit much for the average user, $1000, but if you're in the movie business this is a great choice. Fastmac is offering the Blu-Ray upgrade on a lot of recent(and not-so-recent) desktop and laptop computers.

iBook G4

iMac G5

iMac Intel

MacBook Pro (17-inch)

Mac mini

PowerBook G3 Pismo

PowerBook G4 Titanium (667 Mhz or higher)

PowerBook G4 Aluminum

fastmac-bluray-burner.jpg

Full Story

You cannot have these installed on the MacBooks for some reason. But you can on the old iBooks, so, it is probably something about the MacBook's optical drive. I think it is not the standard size. Correct me if I'm wrong.

For a Mac? :rolleyes: Macs are about high-end specs and performance. HD-DVD is geared toward the budget minded market. Compare the specs :unsure:

Actually the real reason blu-ray is being offered is because Apple helped create it with Sony. So clearly you would use it also. Another reason would be because M$ is currently backing Toshiba's HD-DVD.

But then again this is a third-party, right? So why do they care about the politics?

And about the specs. The average HD-DVD is more advanced than the average blu-ray. Also a new HD-DVD format now is capable of storing more data then blu-rays.

Apple helped create it with Sony.

Do you have a link to verify any of this? I know that Apple is a supporter of Blu-ray, but I've never seen in print anywhere that they helped to actually create it.

The average HD-DVD is more advanced than the average blu-ray.

I think you've got that backwards. Check here ^_^

a new HD-DVD format now is capable of storing more data then blu-rays.

Not for very long. A new Blu-ray quad-layer format will hold over 100GB ^_^

You cannot have these installed on the MacBooks for some reason. But you can on the old iBooks, so, it is probably something about the MacBook's optical drive. I think it is not the standard size. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That's correct, the MacBook uses a special optical drive that's smaller and oddly shaped compared to the more standard ones used in the MacBook Pros. Regarding Blu Ray, while it may be great to have a drive, as far as I know, no software currently exists to actually play the discs. Apple's DVD Player certainly doesn't support it, though I'm not sure if it will or will not once Leopard arrives.

Do you have a link to verify any of this? I know that Apple is a supporter of Blu-ray, but I've never seen in print anywhere that they helped to actually create it.
This is what I could get hold of in 5 mins.

Blu-ray.com: Who developed Blu-ray?

Wikipedia: Blu-ray Disc Association

I think you've got that backwards. Check here :P
Sorry I messed up what I was saying. The average HD-DVD in the market contains more material then the average Blu-Ray at the moment. True the Blu-Ray has more capacity but that's not really much good if you're not going to use it. ;)

Not for very long. A new Blu-ray quad-layer format will hold over 100GB :D
Wait for the Octi-layered HD-DVD with 1TB. :P

This is what I could get hold of in 5 mins.

Thank you Mebster for the links. However I think you misunderstand the purpose of the Board of directors as it applies here. 9 companies started the development of Blu-ray. They are the main founders of the format and are listed here. Other companies can pay a fee of $50,000 a year to guide in the formats creation, but they are not listed as the main patent holders. For a fee of $3,000 a company can become an active member of the Blu-ray association. There are currently 94 members. Only the original 9 companies can take credit for the main patents, and Apple is not one of them. Apple may however present ideas for the format, and then the original 9 companies will vote either for or against using those ideas.

Thank you Mebster for the links. However I think you misunderstand the purpose of the Board of directors as it applies here. 9 companies started the development of Blu-ray. They are the main founders of the format and are listed here. Other companies can pay a fee of $50,000 a year to guide in the formats creation, but they are not listed as the main patent holders. For a fee of $3,000 a company can become an active member of the Blu-ray association. There are currently 94 members. Only the original 9 companies can take credit for the main patents, and Apple is not one of them. Apple may however present ideas for the format, and then the original 9 companies will vote either for or against using those ideas.

I didn't know that. Thanks for that info. :o