How do you become a Guru?

~pcwiz

56 posts in this topic

If someone here had actually read and used my guide and the guide has helped them, you wouldn't be saying half this stuff....

Actually I did go and read it.

I was trying to be nice, but frankly that isn't what I would classify as Guru worthy.

It's not to say it's not useful but to be considered a VMware Guru I would expect to be able to ask you ANY VMware related question and you to have an idea or solution a pretty high percentage of the time. (Not just answers on the sections you have done)

Can you do that?

You can always make your own VMware Guru note in your signature anyways and link it to your site.

Notice the 'questions I get' part....

It's a joke.

Meaning that I can answer most of the questions I get from the people that email me with VMware OS X related issues....

Well that is hardly a quantifiable thing for determining level of knowledge.

Just keep adding to your guides, people that use/need it will appreciate it.

Edit: BTW, on your FAQ for VMware, it would be more appropriate to call VMware virtualization software, not emulation software.

(Quit confusing people! :):) )

• 1 month later...

hi all.

They are accepting new gurus? How can I be one?

im a owner of brazillian forum...have much experience in osx86, love make a "mod" in osxServer, have experience in server packages "mods", kexts, irc, little in kernel things, and forum organization/moderation and users support.

i wish a status of guru or some linked in dev here. im be a know of much people here.

waiting returning =)

gr8z'all

honestly it is very sad that you are asking to become a guru. You have to earn it. It will come when you don't expect it. Pcwiz, you may have given your site some good stuff, but not IsanelyMac. So please, at least contribute something really good before you ask to be in a roll that only 4 people have. You've been here three months!!!!!!!!!! Come on, lots of people deserve it wayyyy more than you. You do have some posts, but nothing extremely helpful. Just be happy that you are here!

PS. Today i haz been at insanelymac for a year :P

honestly it is very sad that you are asking to become a guru. You have to earn it. It will come when you don't expect it. Pcwiz, you may have given your site some good stuff, but not IsanelyMac. So please, at least contribute something really good before you ask to be in a roll that only 4 people have. You've been here three months!!!!!!!!!! Come on, lots of people deserve it wayyyy more than you. You do have some posts, but nothing extremely helpful. Just be happy that you are here!

PS. Today i haz been at insanelymac for a year :)

Tell that to me now...I built the 10.5 HCL out of scratch.

Azurael,

Its more of an insult parade than a thread.

PS. Today i haz been at insanelymac for a year :)

Your attitude isn't helpful. In fact it's more than unhelpful, it's causing issues were there just is no need to create any. Pcwiz hasn't made any requests to becoming a Guru since the end of Sep and you should be helping letting this rest. Not digging it back up.

"Pcwiz, you may have given your site some good stuff, but not IsanelyMac" - that's just plain old silly. The guys done a LOT for this community. Seriously. He's been a major role (if not the only) in building 10.5 HCL. I use the guys built in Firefox search every other time I need to search in InsanelyMac. So he's certainly contributed.

"You've been here three months!!!!!!!!!!" - fair enough, I also think to earn a guru title you need to show you're committed to the forum and 3 months just isn't enough.

"Come on, lots of people deserve it wayyyy more than you." - just because other people deserve it more than him doesn't mean he doesn't also right for the title. Others may not have the time to commit to being a guru whereas he may.

Now whether he's right (not deserves) to become a Guru is one up for debate and one really the staff should be debating. Not us.

Pcwiz, please don't reply to this thread because every time you do you help reignite a topic which should be dead.

Mods, please delete or close this thread as it's clearly confusing members into thinking they can become a Guru simply by asking for it. I'm also convinced it will help ease tensions in the forum.

Mods, please delete or close this thread as it's clearly confusing members into thinking they can become a Guru simply by asking for it. I'm also convinced it will help ease tensions in the forum.

I don't believe deleting this thread will do much to ease tension in the forum. It is people who are "mad for a tag" and who keep spamming the forum with useless posts in order to increase their post count who get on other users' nerves.The prototype of that kind of user was Ramm, who thanks god was banned.

i think anyone who just contributes to get a badge should never have come

Ditto.

Even though I post a lot, does anyone consider it as "spam"? Its not that I was "mad for a tag". Sure I wanted a Guru badge, but only for a few minutes before I got replies that clarified what Guru means. Thats all I wanted to know, the point and purpose of the Guru position. And I know I've only been here 3 or so months but I think I will continue to be for a quite a while to come. I never came to contribute to get a badge, to be honest even after I did a few hundred posts, I didn't know about Guru. I only found out a lot about the Guru position when I was at 400 or 500 posts and I saw the tons of FAQs Rammjet posted.