How do you become a Guru?

~pcwiz

56 posts in this topic

Hi,

Just wondering how do you become a Guru (with the Guru badge and all)? At first I thought that you had to do like 5000 posts but then I saw cabron who was a guru and he had something like 330 posts (as of the time of this writing).

So how do you become a guru?

pcwiz

There were a couple of other people who would have deserved that title but never got it.

Examples:

1)Bofors. nobody in this forum has ever known more about hardware, especially hackintosh compatible, than him.

2)Maxxuss

JaS OTOH does have a guru tag and it is extremely well deserved.

i don`t know if you read links that Alessandro17 gave you ,but like Swad said,you must be good (real good) in something (no matter what) .

and than other members can suggest you like a guru.

~R

I'm real good at VMware installations. If you want I can even post all the appreciative emails I got from the people who used my guide. Could you people suggest me as a Guru?

BTW, I know some people are gonna think that this is a ridiculous idea.

If you want to nominate me as a Guru, go into my profile in InsanelyMac and leave me a comment or something or post a reply on this topic :angel:

BTW, I know some people are gonna think that this is a ridiculous idea.

Yes. Usually if you have to ask what it takes to be a Guru, you aren't one.

It doesn't really mean much anyways. I don't put much stock in user "class/ratings" anyways. Usually it is pretty easy to distinguish the people that are really knowledge in specific areas.

On forums in general I find especially new users put too much stock in user classifications anyways. My guess is there are a fair number of extremely knowledgeable members that could be considered Gurus.

why do you want to so badly? if you think about it, how will being a guru actually effect your life?

Exactly. There are too many people here who are "mad for a tag": people who spam the forum with idiotic posts in order to increase their post count, people who would kill for a moderator tag...

It would be nice to be a Guru....But I don't need it. InsanelyMac Legend is good enough for me :)

Usually it is pretty easy to distinguish the people that are really knowledge in specific areas
Just wondering....do you think I am distinguishable as "really knowledge" as a VMware expert. I'm pretty sure you've seen my posts around the Windows + VMware+ Hackintosh forum....Just wondering the opinions of others....I know that the people I've solved problems for appreciate my knowledge...

It would be nice to be a Guru....But I don't need it. InsanelyMac Legend is good enough for me :lol:Just wondering....do you think I am distinguishable as "really knowledge" as a VMware expert. I'm pretty sure you've seen my posts around the Windows + VMware+ Hackintosh forum....Just wondering the opinions of others....I know that the people I've solved problems for appreciate my knowledge...

To be honest I don't know as I haven't read your VMware related posts. (As far as I remember)

Did you figure something out or did you just bring all the needed information together in a nice comprehensive guide for people to follow?

Although incredibly useful I'm not sure I would classify that as "really knowledgeable" and a VMware expert.

Maybe I'm just cynical due to years of dealing with people that think they are experts because they they can do something like setup a server but are truly lacking when it comes to understanding and diagnosing real issues. :)

To be honest I don't know as I haven't read your VMware related posts. (As far as I remember)

Did you figure something out or did you just bring all the needed information together in a nice comprehensive guide for people to follow?

Although incredibly useful I'm not sure I would classify that as "really knowledgeable" and a VMware expert.

Maybe I'm just cynical due to years of dealing with people that think they are experts because they they can do something like setup a server but are truly lacking when it comes to understanding and diagnosing real issues. :blink:

yeh for sure

& to become a guru, its awarded to you, you dont ask for it or post for it, its offered to you, like swad said i had alot of worthwhile posts and {censored} and asked if i would like to be one and i said yeh....

but yeah, if it happens it happens

I figured out tons of facts through rigorous testing on VMware of all the ISOs I had. That and I compiled the most popular VMware install guide around today: http://######.com/software/vmwareosx86.htm

You don't have to classify me as really knowledgable, I have my strong points and my weak points just like any person :lol: I just want to make the point

If you haven't read my VMware posts, go into the Windows + VMware + Hackintosh forum and you'll find tons of stuff. Also, I personally solve peoples problems through email too.

Just wanted to know if people APPRECIATE my work for OSx86...

FFS, VMWARE IS SIMPLE, YOU HAVE DONE NO WORK FOR OSX86, YOU DO NOT HACK THE KERNELS, YOU JUST REGURGITATE OTHER PEOPLES WORK ABOUT VMWARE, IT HAS ALL BEEN DONE BEFORE. WITHOUT THE KERNEL MAKERS, THERE WOULD BE NO VMWARE, AND THANKFULLY THERE WOULD BE NO YOU SPAMMING ALL THE THREADS ASKING FOR A BADGE AS YOUR ARE "SO UBER 1337 IN VMWARE INSTALLATIONZ". I HAVE TO TYPE THIS IN CAPS AS I'M HOPING IT WILL GET THROUGH TO YOU.

If someone here had actually read and used my guide and the guide has helped them, you wouldn't be saying half this stuff....

Why do you need recognition so badly?

Is a "thanks mate" not enough?

I have posted (with another nick) in Linux forums, and helped a lot of people. I have never got a badge (although I was once asked to be a moderator, but I kindly refused). People knew what I was doing, they were grateful, and that was plenty for me.