CAN I LAST THE FAST? (Day 30 - It's EID)

Mebster

48 posts in this topic

Ramadan, the time of the year when Muslims observe one of the five pillars and fast from sunrise to sunset is here. In the UK it stated today and I came back an hour ago from Taraweeh pray, which is a prayer Muslims should perform in the middle of the compulsory Isha pray every night prior to fasting. So the fasting for us here in the UK begins tomorrow.

Sunrise is at 4:54am (approx) and sunset is at 7:25pm so that's the whole duration I need to fast. I woke up at 7:30am this morning and tried to prepare my body but I got quite hungry by 2pm. That's 5 hours short. So I'm a little worried how I'm going to manage. But this is how I feel every year and although the first 3 or 4 days are painful they do ease as the body adjusts to the change in nutrition.

I'm going to try and write a little about my experience ever few days and I know a lot of other members here are fasting too so I'd like to know what your personal experiences are. Also I know people from other faiths fast and I'd be interested in knowing how you all find it. Also I was hoping someone who's faith (or lack of) doesn't involve fasting, would take the plunge and try and fast for a few days. I'm really curious to find out how others experiences are different from mine. I just want the community to share our thoughts and experiences on the matter.

I'm going to go bed now and I will wake up in a few hours to get something to eat for Suhoor/Sehri and eat something before fast starts. I wish I had some oats because that tends to last me for hours. Oh well I'm just going to have to Rambo it :boxing: (or should that be Rocky it?)

What is Ramadan?

Every year, more than one billion Muslims around the globe observe the importance of the month of Ramadan. Many religions encourage some kind of fasting for religious purposes. For instance, Catholics give up meat for Lent and Jews fast during the holiday of Yom Kippur.

Ramadan is a month of blessing that includes prayer, fasting and charity. It is the best of the month of the year. The Qur’an was revealed during this month. Also the rewards are greatly multiplied in Ramadan if the intention is sincere. The gates of Paradise (Jannah) are open, the gates of Hell (Jahannam) are closed, and the Shayatin are tied up as the Prophet (pbuh) told us. Also the fasting of Ramadan can wipe out all the wrong doings committed before if we avoid the great ones (Kaba’ir) that need repentance (Tawbah).

What is fasting?

Muslims should refrain from eating, drinking, smoking and conjugal relations from Sunrise till sunset. This means that no substitute should be introduced into the body. Fasting also involves abstaining from evil intentions and desires. Also being polite to your neighbors is an essential part of fasting. This includes refraining from swearing even if someone swears at you. You simply should reply “I am Fasting”

The Prophet (pbuh), said: "Fasting is a shield; so when one of you is Fasting he should not use foul or foolish talk. If someone attacks him or insults him, let him say: 'I am Fasting, I am Fasting!'"

Why do we fast?

We do things to please Allah, and they can please Allah only by obeying Him and practicing His religion. Fasting strengthens our self discipline and help us control our desires and actions. When we fast, we see the food, wish to eat it but can’t, and hence can relate to the poor and needy who see the food and cannot buy it, which will motivate us to help the poor and needy.

Allah says: “O you who believe, fasting has been prescribed for you as it has been prescribed for people before you so that you will (learn how to) attain Taqwa” [baqarah, 2:183]

Fasting is one of the Five Pillars (duties) of Islam.

What do we gain from it?

• Develop a closer relationship with God
  • To practice self-control and cleanse the body and mind
  • Enforces patience and determination
  • A time to think about those who are less fortunate
  • Learn thankfulness and appreciation for what they have
  • Makes us appreciate the food and sustenance given to us by Allah
  • Enhances generosity, hospitality and giving to charity
  • Health Benefits

What do we do in Ramadan?

• Suhoor - Since eating is forbidden during the day, it is recommended to partake of a light meal (suhoor) before sunrise, prior to commencing the fast. It is said that the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) himself recommended eating dates during suhoor as part of the meal.
  • Iftar - After the sun sets, the fast is broken with a meal called iftar. The fast is most commonly ended with the eating of dates or something sweet and/or the drinking of water. Dates, water, milk and honey are foods recommended by the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).
  • Taraweeh - Praying during Ramadan is especially important. There are special Ramadan prayers known as Taraweeh prayers, although they are not compulsory. They are a sunnah (example) of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and are highly recommended. These prayers are performed in the mosques in congregation in the middle of performing Isha prayers (night pray).

Eid al-Fitr (Eid) – Celebrating the breaking of the fast

• Ramadan ends with the festival of Eid al-Fitr, which literally means the "Festival of Breaking the Fast"
  • Fasting is forbidden on this day as it marks the end of the month-long fast of Ramadan
  • A Muslim is encouraged to rise early and partake of some dates or a light, sweet snack, significant because for the past 30 days they have abstained from all food and drink from dawn till dusk
  • On the day of the celebration, a typical Muslim family gets up very early and attends special prayers held only for the occasion in big mosques, in large open areas, stadiums or arenas
  • The prayer is generally short, and is followed by a khutba (sermon)
  • The rest of Eid day is spent visiting relatives, having special meals, exchanging gifts, giving money to charity

It may come as a surprise to many non-Muslims, but many people feel a sense of loss or sadness at the passing of Ramadan. I know I do.

HAVE YOU GOT WHAT IT TAKES?

(HOW MANY DAYS)

Daily timetable:

1. Have a light meal before sunrises
  2. Make a sincere intention to fast, as that way, you will be less likely to break it
  3. If you feel you’re finding it particularly tough, consider avoiding places with food during the time of fast
  4. When Iftar time arrives, break your fast on time with a date, something sweet or water ideally.

One great way of really understanding how Ramadan works is to break your fast in a local mosque. Some of my friends universities invited students to fast the day and then join them in breaking it together over a small meal. The students generally found the breaking of the fast and socializing at the end enjoyable and gave then a deeper insight into how Muslims feel during Ramadan. Ones that got their friends to fast with them particularly had a lot to talk and laugh about.

Actual Ramadan Timetable:

Sun rises later each day so to follow the correct manner, download a fasting timetable for the correct timing for you location. Islamicfinder will provide the timings for the five daily prays. You can use Fajr (sunrise) pray times to estimate what time fast begins as it's roughly 10 mins before.

IF ANYONE IS BRAVE ENOUGH THEN SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES :boxing:

For more information on Ramadan, visit:

For an overall guide and understanding of Ramadan

Ramadan : Dos and Don’ts of Fasting

Download & Watch Muslims observe Ramadan: 1, 2

Watch and listen to extracts of the Tawareeh prayer

Watch and listen to extracts of duas (supplication) which is part of the Tawaweeh prayer:

Observe how Muslims celebrate Eid

Download & watch the significance of these events

Great thread, it brings back so many memories.

I remember my landlord in Leeds coming to visit and telling me about Ramadan.

During those days I saw him particularly tired, because on top of his hard daily routine he had to get up earlier.

As to me I used to say that the most difficult part for me would have been not being able to drink water: terrible :lol:

Wow, I don't think I could ever manage that!

At least it is at a time of year where the days are getting shorter. I could guess it would be very difficult with the 18 hour days we have up here mid summer.

What day does Ramadan finish?

I've just checked the times for my nearest city:

picture1bq5.png

That's a very long day!

Kudos to you and good luck! :rolleyes:

Fasting is actually very healthy (evidence for this is found everywhere in the animal kingdom) if you follow a few simple rules and start out slowly and in a progressive fashion.

I truly believe that fasting is not just an opportunity to cleanse and disintoxicate your digestive system but also a great opportunity to clean your mind and liberate yourself from the chains of our modern "consuming" society and at the same time, experience life from a different (more humane, perhaps?) perspective.

You will be amazed to find out that you actually have much more free time than you ever thought.

Cheers,

hecker

OK, my fasting ended around 1h ago and omg was it difficult. But then again the first few days normally are. The real thing that gets me is having to endure thirstiness throughout the day, just as mentioned by Alessandro17. I'm more of a drinking type of guy than a eating one. It is weird because often when I wake up, I don't eat any breakfast for up to 4 hours or more. Today the moment I woke up I wanted to drink and soon I was hungry too. Guess that's just my mind messing with me. Also all I remember doing the entire day was trying to dodge the sunshine (currently sunny in the UK) because it was hot. I think I might have looked a little odd at moments but I made it so I guess it paid off.

In around 30mins I'm going to make my way to the Mosque to do the normal Isha pray in a congregation and then in the middle everyone in a congregation does Taraweeh prays (4 4 2 2 [taraweeh] 3 2). These are the killers. You do them in 2s and some people in total do 8 others 20 and some 8 or 20. Also you take breaks after every 4. So for example 2 2, 2 2 = 8 OR 2 2, 2 2, 2 2, 2 2, 2 2 = 20 What tends to happen is the Mosque brings in 2 or 3 Hafiz (people who have the entire Qur'an memorized) and just for the Taraweeh part they recite one sura (chapter) of the Qur'an for each rakat. So as there are 20 rakats (2,2 2,2 ....= 20) each day 20 suras from the Qur'an are recited. They start from the beginning of the Qur'an and by the end of the month usually complete the Qur'an. Last night the first sura (sura Al-Baqara) was recited. Now this is an extremely long sura and I don't have it all memorized. But as I know the first few sentences, it did bring a warm feeling of here the holy month begins. I don't know if that makes sense or if it's what I felt.

Meowy, the first few days of fasting I tend to eat a lot when it comes to Iftar time. But as I get used to not eating for long periods I'm able to control how much I eat and what I eat. But you are definitely right in the first week or so. But one thing is true is often a lot of people put on more weight after Ramadan than lose it. I've done this many times. Once again it's all down to eating too much at breaking time. Religiously we're not supposed to stuff our faces as much as we can during iftar but often we ignore that when we're hungry.

Great thread, it brings back so many memories.

I remember my landlord in Leeds coming to visit and telling me about Ramadan.

During those days I saw him particularly tired, because on top of his hard daily routine he had to get up earlier.

As to me I used to say that the most difficult part for me would have been not being able to drink water: terrible :rolleyes:

Alessandro17, thanks for your encouraging comments. I know today at moments I felt like dropping because I felt so weak. I actually got 3 hours sleep when I got home at 3 and that helped me recover a little. But I should be able to do the normal day to day tasks more easily as time goes on.

Paranoid Marvin, you're amazing. I think that's one of the best looking ramadan timetables I've seen on the net. I spent hours looking last year all over the net and didn't really find anything much. But that one... wow. I was hoping you would tell me where you got it from so I could post it on the main post.

In Islam they use a lunar calendar as opposed to the Solar/Gregorian calendar and so the start and end of Ramadan are dependent on the sighting of the moon. For this reason predictions can be made as to when Ramadan will be or when Eid al-Fitr (end of Ramadan) will be but they can be a day off at times. Many mosques and online Ramadan timetables estimate the starting date but note "the beginning and end of Ramadan is dependent upon the sighting of the moon". I've got two timetables in front of me, one saying Ramadan starts on the Wed 12th Sep and the other the Thurs 13th. The 12th Sep estimation turned out to be correct. The same calendar estimates the last fasting day to be on the 11th Oct and hence Eid to be on the 12th. But generally people call local mosques around these days to check if tomorrow is Eid.

Also due to there being a roughly 10-11 day difference between the lunar calendar and solar calendar, Ramadan starts 10-11 days early each year. So in a few years it will be right in the middle of summer in the UK, where the days are the longest and hottest. Religiously this is not considered to be for a random reason. Muslims believe by having a constant shift year after year it creates fairness throughout the world as everyone gets periods of their life where they fast in short days and periods where they fast in long days. Without the shift (ie. using the solar calendar) people living in a specific country would always be fasting for a fixed number of hours as Ramadan would fall on the same date each year.

And everyone else thanks for you encouraging comments. I need to get some sleep now and wake up in a few hours for Suhoor but I really want to get back to everyone's comments later. Thanks all.

Paranoid Marvin, you're amazing. I think that's one of the best looking ramadan timetables I've seen on the net. I spent hours looking last year all over the net and didn't really find anything much. But that one... wow. I was hoping you would tell me where you got it from so I could post it on the main post.

:rolleyes: I just used one of the links that you posted in the thread

[sorry for the delay. I've just been worn out. Having to go to Taraweeh prays, which last around 1.5 hour (in which 90% of the time you're standing), only 2 hours after breaking your fast (from fasting an entire day) is exhausting.]

Fasting is actually very healthy
hecker, I remember someone else in the previous thread talked about how it's actually healthy for you to fast also. I honestly have never looked into the health aspect of fasting but I do know it makes me feel more lighter and quicker in terms of moving and thinking by the end. You feel a refreshed and more stronger mentally. At least I do. So thanks for your info.

Sounds cool, I will have to try this one day. And thanks for taking the time to write about it.
ResX, would be great to hear some feedback from how it goes if you manage to make it. What I would say is if you do go ahead with it consider carefully as to what day you might fast. Don't choose a day where you've got a lot to do as you're likely to break your fast. But keep us informed if you give it a go. And Thanks for taking the time to read it. Thank goes to you all.

good luck man, but i cant go from 730 to 1030 without being hungry
Lkr, you know today's fasting was the hardest. I work part time in a dept store in the weekends and today was the first day since fasting began I had work. I woke up at 8:30am and as normal ended around 7:18pm. I was trying not to stress myself out too much at work and keep everything slow and smooth so that mainly I wouldn't get thirsty. It more or less worked. But then around 5:30 I didn't know if I could do it. The stomach just wouldn't stop complaining. But I managed to get through it. :)

I can't go from 12 to 12:01 without being hungry. :)
You sound like one of my friends.

Fasting also involves abstaining from evil intentions and desires. Also being polite to your neighbors is an essential part of fasting. This includes refraining from swearing even if someone swears at you.

Shouldn't this be an every day thing? :)

That's a great question.

It is an every day thing. Muslims commit sin by committing evil acts and being rude to their neighbours and so on. But where as normally you're committing a sin, in Ramadan this may break your fast depending on what it is. And breaking you're fast is an incredibly strong sin. Also in the month of Ramadan as the rewards to doing good are magnified, you're encouraged more than ever to leave your bad habits behind you. Also Ramadan is a month where you're closer to Allah than ever, so really this is the time to be on your best behaver. So for example I often swear without thinking much about it. Ideally I should drop something like that because it offends others. But although I'm dropping it because Ramadan is here I shouldn't pick it back up at the end of Ramadan. The Imams in the mosque each year at the end of Ramadan remind us that although Ramadan is over, it doesn't mean we should return to our old ways but instead should hold onto what we have gained and keep it going through the year. Many of us (including myself) don't do this very well and so the next Ramadan is another reminder.

So to sum it up, you're right, this should definitely be an every day thing but more importance is put on it during Ramadan.

im with u, aceplayer, i cannot go very long without drinking, i dont think i can go for our 13-14 hour days we have :angel:

its really not that difficult if you distract yourself from thinking about it. i recommend that all of you who have never fasted try it out sometime. it doesnt have to be a spiritual experience, it can just be to prove something to yourself. i might add, though, that if it is a spiritual experience it will be 10000x better, not to mention it gives you something to distract yourself with.

My fasting experience began last week Thursday at 4.30 am when I woke up to have my suhoor. I had a strawberry nourishment drink. I forced as much drink as possible but I wasn't used to eating so much at that time in the morning. My first day of fasting was really difficult. Although this was my 3rd ramandan I still found it difficult. This ramadan in particular i was more aware of the time and willed it to go faster more.

Aceplayer - I have the complete opposite problem with you. I have to eat constantly. I can do without a drink for a while but not without food. I always have breakfast in the mornings, even if it is something light. I make sure I have food on me as I know I would get hungry eventually. I do not get as thirsty as you sound.

I find it amazing that you aren't allowed to drink. Considering where the religion comes from, it seems crazy to stop people drinking during the day in the middle east, for example.

It seems almost suicidal!

But hey, Aceplayer, at least the weather is much cooler at the moment :(

mmm, Aceplayer. I just had the best lunch i have had in a while. It tasted soo good :)

oh, and good luck lasting the fast :)

btw, i really should do ramadan, but i just completey forgot about it :s. Next year i definately have to try it

Still alive but not much energy to be kicking guys.

Kiko, post some of the meal to me. Sounds good. And use the cheapest mail service available so by the time I get it, Ramadan will be over.

You know what sucks is today looks like a really nice sunny day but I'm afraid if I spend time too much time in the sun i'll get thirsty so I'm having to mostly stay indoors in days like this. But all that being said and done It really is a piece of cake now. Yes I do get hungry around 5 or 6 (fasting breaks around 7 now) but it's not so bad. Even a lot of my friends who normally struggle with food are coping reasonably. So it just takes 5-7 days for your body to adapt.

But man am I slipping in the worshipping factor. I was doing so well. The first few nights I was going to the mosque to do Taraweeh and now I've missed a few nights and just done them at home (which is soooo much easier).

Sorry for not keeping this more updated but you really have as much free time as you'd like when Ramadan begins. Most of the times I do stuff in the evening and early morning but that's now occupied with Taraweeh. But I will try keep it more updated.

Paranoid Marvin, good question but easy answer. I'll get back to you later on tonight.

PS: kiko, you wouldn't last :unsure:

jk, if you give it a go next year and we're all around here i'm sure we'll love to know how it goes.