CAN I LAST THE FAST? (Day 30 - It's EID)

Mebster

48 posts in this topic

I find it amazing that you aren't allowed to drink. Considering where the religion comes from, it seems crazy to stop people drinking during the day in the middle east, for example.

It seems almost suicidal!

As Aceplayer mentioned in one of his previous posts, one of the reasons why we fast is to feel compassion and empathy for those who are less fortunate than ourselves. When we experience the pain of hunger for a while, we remember those who are in this situation all the time. We have to remember that in most third world countries, the food and water are a luxury to them. So for them, it is as though they are fasting all the time because of the lack of consumptions available. In order to truly experience a meaningful fast, we are therefore deprived of those luxuries just as our neighbours are. So Ramadan symbolizes what it is like to live a poor life with very little food and water. The main lesson for all of is that we know that we are going to eat this evening when we break our fast, but there are millions of people in the world who are not so fortunate. Many people still remain hungry and thirsty, not out of choice but as a result of the situation they find themselves in.

Ramadan is therefore not an individual experience only, but it is an experience in a big community. The whole Muslim Ummah fasts together as one unit in the same holy month. We identify with one another with our struggles and in our obedience to Allah. This gives us a new sense of closeness and association.

So far, I have been fasting for almost a week now and I definitely feel more compassion to others and they have been in my thoughts and prayers. Fasting has made me appreciate the food a lot more instead of gobbling it like I normally would and I feel grateful when my stomach is happy and full (sometimes too full!).

Well here in norway, if you live in the north you would have problems when ramadan is in summertime, because the sun never sets. But there are muslims here and they use the timings of more southern places, as of course a 30 days of 24hr a day fasting would make the muslims here extinct, and I am sure that is not the Gods wish.

I think it's funny that fasting can be health in some cases, yet the first question I'm asked by my doctor every time I make a visit is "Did you have breakfast this morning?" There's also disagreement about the detox that happens while fasting. Some say that the body does just fine by itself (liver, kidneys, skin), but others say the opposite. I don't have the knowledge to decide either way.

I don't think that I'd truly ever be able to fast, I run at least 6 miles a day and burn all the calories that I consume, and a little more most of the time. I guess I could starve myself during the day and feast in the evening, but that wouldn't be healthy either. Anyway, I admire anyone that can abstain from food/drink all day.

For the people that aren't fasting in accordance with their religion, drinking water is a good idea, and fruit juices (actual fruit, not the concentrated, full of corn syrup stuff in a bottle) are even better because they provide the nutrients and antioxidants that your body needs to be truly healthy.

I find it amazing that you aren't allowed to drink. Considering where the religion comes from, it seems crazy to stop people drinking during the day in the middle east, for example.

It seems almost suicidal!

But hey, Aceplayer, at least the weather is much cooler at the moment ;)

I think Paws explanation was brilliant. There are many reasons why fasting is prescribed. Allah doesn't want us to just be hungry for the sake of being hungry. The remembering of the poor is a major factor of Ramadan. It is the time of the year when you should be more generous towards you neighbour, whether it's with money, food, assistance or with kind words. My new neighbours are a group of friends from Australia/New Zealand and i've considered many times to go over and offer them some of our Iftar food. The only reason I haven't is because it turn out the few weeks my family spent building a relationship was with guests of the the neighbours. Now they've moved on. It's not that we dislike the guys remaining but that my family are a quite family and shy. So to make friends all over again is a lot of work.

What do we gain from it?
  • Develop a closer relationship with God
  • To practice self-control and cleanse the body and mind
  • Enforces patience and determination

• A time to think about those who are less fortunate
  • Learn thankfulness and appreciation for what we have
  • Makes us appreciate the food and sustenance given to us by Allah
  • Enhances generosity, hospitality and giving to charity
  • Health Benefits
A few days ago I asked a guy at work who was also fasting how we were going to manage in the summer because of the long days and the hot weather. I was impressed for this fairly relaxed guy to come back with "if they can do it in the arab countries then we should be able to also. It's a lot harder for them then it is for us". I realised he was right. No matter how much the global warming messes with the climate system the UK is not going to have the Middle East's climate (any time soon).

"It seems almost suicidal!" - :D That's Muslims for you. (nice joke)

Well here in norway, if you live in the north you would have problems when Ramadan is in summertime, because the sun never sets. But there are muslims here and they use the timings of more southern places, as of course a 30 days of 24hr a day fasting would make the Muslims here extinct, and I am sure that is not the Gods wish.
lol. I can just see it "first the dinosaurs, now Muslims in North of Norway". You know what, I've always wondered what Muslims would do if they lived on the polls. Now I know. Thanks. But I think strictly Muslims are not supposed to live in a land where practising their religion becomes difficult. I'm would assume this would count as difficult. Also there are stories (not sure if they come from the Qur'an or Hadith) that fasting was prescribed for six months and this was negotiated down to one with Allah by the prophet Muhammad as six months would be too difficult for his followers. But imagine history was different and it was six months. Muslims all around the world would have no choice but to fast for that long....Just when I thought it couldn't get any weirder: Ramadhan Fasting In Space

I think it's funny that fasting can be health in some cases, yet the first question I'm asked by my doctor every time I make a visit is "Did you have breakfast this morning?"

I don't think that I'd truly ever be able to fast, I run at least 6 miles a day and burn all the calories that I consume, and a little more most of the time. I guess I could starve myself during the day and feast in the evening, but that wouldn't be healthy either. Anyway, I admire anyone that can abstain from food/drink all day.

Remember that it's Sunnah (the way of the prophet) to wake up a little before sunrise and eat something. Because it's sunnah we are encouraged to follow it and most do. So I wake up around 4:30am and eat and drink to get me through the next day (over eating isn't liked) and then I wake up a few hours later to start the day. So it's close to breakfast although not exactly the same.

And if you can run 6 miles a day you can definitely fast. Like I said everyone except the young, old, weak, ill and pregnant are required to fast. If so many millions of people must and therefore do it also means you who are healthier than most also can. It's really a question of will and mental strength. And also like I said, it's tough to begin but gets really easy after a week.

You can do it Aceplayer!!!!

PD: I respect your faste so i wont talk you about food :)

Thank mate. Appreciate the support. If only Kiko would learn a few things from you. ;)

Well I am fasting too and its not that hard once you get further into the month. What i noticed is that many non muslims find it silly why we do such a thing :angel: ... But with some explaination they sometimes get the point.

Any way everybody good luck with Fasting!!! Ramadan Kareem

I'm not sure if I would consider the option to eat and drink every day a true month long fast... more of a partial daily fast for a month...

Also I'm not sure about the lack of drinking issue, while I understand it's to imbue a sense of empathy in the followers, it seems quite unnatural. There will typically be natural sources of drinkable water, even in small amounts, and as an animal (humans), it seems haphazard to ignore survival instincts...

But I'm not a religious person, so that's probably where I'm falling short in this matter...

I prefer to see things in a more natural light than imposed values and such...

Therefore abstaining from food makes a lot more sense in my eyes than food and water...

I did a week long fast before, with 60ish oz of lemonjuice/water a day...

It wasn't too bad, and I came out of it feeling better.

I really ought to again though, I put too much garbage into my body these days :\

I used to be a generous person (at least I thought so). If I saw someone on the street who needed some money I would give them a little if I could. But often my friends looked at me like I was being gullible. They were more critical and questioned whether the person asking for money really needed it or was just a way to earn extra cash. Over time I began to think maybe they were right. This was partly due to some bad experiences. (Once a woman was almost about to cry in front of me asking for money. The moment I gave her a pound it fell in her pocket and there was a loud cling sound. The sound of that pound hitting many others. She then paid her bus fair and got on the same bus and me. I felt like an idiot.) I generally began to give less and less to people I saw on the streets (sometimes because I didn't want my friends to give me that look again). It's come to a point where if someone asks me I would often just say no assuming they would spend it on alcohol or drugs or something that wouldn't help them.

Today my family and I decided to get a pizza to have to break our fast. So I ordered and went to collected it just a little before iftar time. I collected it and was coming back with a large 15" pizza box. The shop's only 5mins away so it doesn't take long to get it. On the way back some guy looked towards me and asked for something. I quickly responded with a swift no. I carried on walking and I stared feeling bad. I carried on walking home and the sense just grew and grew. I then remembered the look on the guys face when he was asking for what ever he was asking for and it looked like he genuinely wanted some help. I began to wonder what if he wanted some food. After all I was holding a huge pizza box. The more I thought about it the worse I felt. Finally I remembered that I was taking this food to break a long day fast with my family. I began to wonder what if he hadn't eat anything the entire day either (but not out of choice). The moment that though hit me I felt so hypercritical. I go and fast the entire day to remember poor people but when one comes in front of me I decide to ignore him. I decided to take teh pizza home and throw a date into my mouth and go back to where the guy was, give him some money and tell him to use it wisely (and possibly apologise for ignoring him). I came back out with a minute of going home and rushed back but the guy was no where to be seen.

I'm not sure what this has tought me. Maybe it's that fasting does help you remember the poor around you but that you need to let your heart open up also. Otherwise you may fast for an entire money and go through it all and ultimately not benefit from it. I'm hoping my fasting doesn't go in vain.

I'm not sure what this has tought me. Maybe it's that fasting does help you remember the poor around you but that you need to let your heart open up also. Otherwise you may fast for an entire money and go through it all and ultimately not benefit from it. I'm hoping my fasting doesn't go in vain.

Nice post.

Maybe you can "fast in spirit", and still learn to always show compassion to all your fellow living beings (not just humans).

I almost always give something to people who ask. I am so much luckier than them, how could I justify to myself not doing so? Sometimes I ask them why they need the money. But in any case even if there is only one single genuine case of need (I am pretty sure here in Italy the needy are many more, as Social Security is virtually non-existent), that justifies all the cases of people who ask for a drink or for drugs.

But even more important is to never "deny yourself" to the others. Probably what you did yesterday was because you were hungry and tired, so you have learned from it.

Where I live there are people who I should say abuse beggars. It is like this; they help old poor woman from a poor country to come on tourist visa here, let them go around on the street to beg. They make a good deal of money from that, but the one who helped them here would take most of it - and leaving the woman with almost nothing of whats given. The other kinds of beggars here are usually ones who don't dare to use the social welfare system because of a criminal background or that the basic welfare pay is not enough, mostly drug addicts.

And Kiko and fast is a true contradiction, but Kiko and last would be true. :P

Alessandro17, I'm not entirely sure why I ignored that guy. I know a part of it was because I was rushing to break fast (actually the time to break had passed a minute before I got home and you're supposed to break your fasts on time). And also like Superhai country we here have a lot of people who abuse our generosity. As I've said earlier I've experienced some serious in your face abuse cases. So I've become a little more numb towards the poor.

But you're right in that you don't need a religion to be compassionate towards the poor. There are some so-called Muslim leaders in Arab countries who accumulate all the wealth and live lavish lifestyles, while their citizens remain dirt poor. Then there are people who do not believe in God but are extremely generous. I was just saying for me Islam helps to remind me to be greatfull for what I have and to think about others who are going through tough times. We are reminded of this more than ever in Ramadan.

In Islam you are responsible for all the people around you as they are for you. If anyone in your village (I don't know how this would work in the west) is in difficulties then it's your responsibility to help, regardless of their faith. There's even a story of a Companion of the Prophet who was feeding ants. When asked why he's feeding the ants he said they live just outside his building and so he has a responsibility towards them. I know in this day and age not many of us think this way (I would be lying if I said I did all the time either).

Tonight is the 27th night of Ramadan. In Islam the night begins first and then the day to complete a full day cycle. So this day would normally be known as the 26th day but because it's night time and so the 27th day has begun.

During Ramadan there is a particular night known as Lailatul Qadr, which Allah tells us in the Qur'an is worth more than a 1000 months. There is the story that the Prophet was told by Allah which night this special night is. On his way to tell his followers he came across two Muslims arguing. He was forced to intervene and Allah decided to take away the exact date from the Prophets mind.

It is generally accepted to be in one of the last 10 night of Ramadan. To add to this most believe it is the odd nights of the last 10 nights. Finally adding to this is the belief it is in the second part of the last 10 night (ie. the last 5 days). The popular opinion is if it falling on the 27th night although it is not certain.

It's been reported in Hadiths that only the followers of the Prophet Muhammad have received such a night. This means none of the previous prophets (Moses, Jesus, ...) followers were given such great night to them.

In Lailatul Qadr Muslims spend in Salat or reading the Qur'an or in remembrance of Allah. By doing this they hope to gain rewards and remove sin. Because of the magnitude of reward of this night in comparison to others it's almost never missed by Muslims. I myself went to the Mosque to do the normal Isha salat at 9:30 pm followed by the Taraweeh (for Ramadan). Then sat and listened to a long interactive talk. I've just come home at 1:30am and am intending to return in 45mins to do some more prays and listen to some talks. I will either return at dawn (as that's when the night and it's power end) or earlier if I'm feeling tired. There are many people who choose to stay until dawn and indeed some of my friends are there while I type this.

A sura revealed in the Qur'an to explain the importance of this night is the following.

Laylatul Qadr: The Night of Power

Surah 97

Al Qadr: Power, Fate

bismillah.gif

In the name of God, most Gracious, most Compassionate

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim

97:1 Verily! We have sent it (this Qur'ân) down in the night of Al-Qadr (Decree)

Inna anzalnahu fee laylatialqadri

97:2 And what will make you know what the night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is?

Wama adraka ma laylatualqadri

97:3 The night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is better than a thousand months

(i.e. worshipping Allâh in that night is better than worshipping Him a thousand months, i.e. 83 years and 4 months).

Laylatu alqadri khayrun min alfi shahrin

97:4 Therein descend the angels and the Rûh [Jibrael (Gabriel)] by Allâh's Permission with all Decrees,

Tanazzalu almala-ikatu waalrroohufeeha bi-ithni rabbihim min kulli amrin

97:5 (The night is) Peace until the rising of morn!

Salamun hiya hatta matlaAAialfajri

Here eid-ul-fitr will be tomorrow or possibly saturday.
Hey guys, thanks for tuning in.

Inshallah it's Eid tomorrow (Friday 12th) here in the UK and therefore today was the last fast of this year. I just called my local mosque and Islam Channel (on Sky here in UK) also confirmed it's Eid tomorrow.

In Islam the sighting of a new moon starts the beginning of a new month and Ramadan begins in the ninth month in the Islamic calendar. Likewise Eid al-Fitr occurs after the end of the Ramadan month and at the start of the tenth month in the Islamic calendar. However there is dispute and controversy regarding where the sighting of the new moon should be. Most Muslims rely on local sightings by local authorities to determine the start of Ramadan and Eid. Some base it on sightings in Saudi Arabia and some use astronomical calculations. For this reason you will find some Muslims begin fasting and celebrating a day after others.

This major event is celebrated by wearing new clothes for Eid – usually a complete outfit is normal, right down to the shoes. Since Eid is the day on which Muslims break their Ramadan fast, it is preferable to eat before going to the Eid prayer. On the morning of Eid, everyone gets up very early to go to the mosque for prayers and talks. These are special prayers, held only on that particular day. Men in particular are required to go to a mosque and pray the Eid pray in congregation. Women are not required but may go if they choose to. In my local mosque the first prayer is at 7:30am and every 45mins after, the last being at 10:30am or 11:15am depending on the crowds. The Eid prayer is different from the standard prayers in that in the Eid prayer the prayer is performed in congregation first followed by the sermon from the Imam whereas it's the other way round for daily prayers. Because the prayer is performed right away some people decide not to stay for the sermon even though this is an integral part of the prayer itself. Listening to it is important and your prayer may not be complete otherwise.

After the prayer we generally return home to see our family first and eat. We then visit the extended family members (I often visit my grandparents and uncles who live local to me). Finally friends meet up although often they see each other during Eid prayer also. In the West it's actually very difficult to properly celebrate Eid. In Christmas everyone has holidays and so family gatherings are relatively easy. For Eid most people still have to work and are unable to join family gatherings. I remember a few years ago when lots of my uncles, aunts and cousins all came and we went to one of my aunts flats to celebrate. It was a small flat, barely enough space to sit but no one seemed to mind. We haven't been able to gather similar to that day again.

The Muslim Council of Britain, supported by the Mayor of London has organized a big event held in the landmark place, Trafalgar square called Eid at Trafalgar Square. There was a similar event held last year but I did not attend (poor advertising). I only knew about this one because I was passing a poster in a tube station. I literally stopped when I saw the word Eid and read what it said. I then took a picture of the poster to remind me of the occasion. And did I feel weird or what - a Muslim in the tube station looking at an Eid gathering. From what I have heard, this year’s event will include live music, a street bazaar, and exhibitions and displays about Islam. The event is free and opens to everyone (!!!) on Saturday 20th October 2007 from 1pm – 5pm, so if anyone is in London for the day, do pay a visit.

If any of you happen to see Muslims walking by during Eid day, don't be afraid to shout "Eid Mubarak". You may get a smile back. :o