[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

CMOS reset after sleep?

You can try replacing the AppleRTC with the one posted on Post # 1146.

Not here, having the /Extra/Extensions and the dsdt posted by elviejo.

The single thing still not working is the FaceTime. I cannot log in. Did you all try this?

What kind of camera are you using?

Microsoft LifeCam VX-700. It works natively in SL and Lion in Photobooth, Skype, Yahoo Messenger, iChat. It woks in FaceTime too, all my complaint is I cannot log in FaceTime, but I see myself through the camera.

Wow. It's been a long time since I first posted in this thread. Back in the 10.5.something days...

So I installed 10.7 today. Pretty much all went as expected - two monitor DVI video (NVidia GTX 260) looking great, but I can't get the sound to work. I did add the AppleHDA.kext mentioned in posts above. The sound works on USB headphones - just the onboard sound is not detected.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David

That AppleHda works only paired with the dsdt mentioned and with the kexts in the Extra. But prior to this, you have to replace the value of CPU in Elviejo's dsdt with the value of CPU of yours.

That AppleHda works only paired with the dsdt mentioned and with the kexts in the Extra. But prior to this, you have to replace the value of CPU in Elviejo's dsdt with the value of CPU of yours.

Thanks. I think I'm good now.

I got frustrated trying to edit my DSDT - first, trying to add/change the audio parts in my DSDT, then wondering how much needed to be changed in Elviejo's DSDT to reflect my current CPU - a near-antique-but-still-pretty-fast Q6600 (how many generations behind the 2600k is it? I'd upgrade to a 9650 or 9550, but the current prices are just... ridiculous for old technology. Sigh.)

Anyway, I thought "F. it - Let me just try •his• DSDT and see what happens."

And it seems to work - audio is better/more complete than ever and my CPU did not explode or melt (yet).

Is there really much danger in not updating his CPU info to mine? Is it a trivial change for me to make?

Thanks,

David

Thanks. I think I'm good now.

I got frustrated trying to edit my DSDT - first, trying to add/change the audio parts in my DSDT, then wondering how much needed to be changed in Elviejo's DSDT to reflect my current CPU - a near-antique-but-still-pretty-fast Q6600 (how many generations behind the 2600k is it? I'd upgrade to a 9650 or 9550, but the current prices are just... ridiculous for old technology. Sigh.)

Anyway, I thought "F. it - Let me just try •his• DSDT and see what happens."

And it seems to work - audio is better/more complete than ever and my CPU did not explode or melt (yet).

Is there really much danger in not updating his CPU info to mine? Is it a trivial change for me to make?

Thanks,

David

Yes, there is some real danger in it, what you can do is to boot without DSDT and produce one, then copy the values in the CPU section and replace mine and compile, then use that one, or you can check in this treat for somebody with your same CPU and get the values from them. ;)

I think David has the same CPU as we have. If it was different, it should get a kernel panic at boot. For example, David, what CPU you have?

I have a Q6600. (which is a Core 2 - a quad, not duo, but perhaps that's close enough?)

No kp, all 4 cores working fine, "About This Mac" info all looks correct.

BTW, my hope, when deciding to just give it a try, was that whatever code reads the DSDT and apply it is smart enough to say "Well, that's just not right" and not use anything that is clearly inappropriate. Of course, I'm a software guy... when I write code I like to make it pretty robust - is it too much to hope for the same from others?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

is there any clever boy hat could help me in setting up by dsdt file?

I followed the MaLd0n guide and now Lion is running...

I did not change the dsdt file because I am not able to change it.

Starting from a Linux distro live I got my fresh dsdtl file (attached).

Here is my hardware:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6550 2,33 Ghz

Graphics: Ge Force 8500Gt 1G

Memory: Bank0/DIMM0 DDR2 SDRAM 800Mhz 2G A-DATA

Memory: Bank1/DIMM1 DDR2 SDRAM 800Mhz 1G A-DATA

Memory: Bank2/DIMM2 DDR2 SDRAM 800Mhz 2G A-DATA

Memory: Bank3/DIMM3 -------NO RAM---------

FIREWIRE: A PCI card that provides 3 Fire Wire ports

HD: on SATA 1 - SAMSUNG HD501LJ - GUID Partition Table with Lion - 500.11 GB - disk1

HD: on SATA 3 - FUJITSU MHY2250BH - Master Boot Record - 250.06 G - disk2

HD: on SATA 4 - WDC WD1500ADFD-00NLR5 - GUID Partition Table - 150.04 GB -disk0

DVD: on SATA 2 - HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H62N

Keyboard: USB Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600

Mouse: TRUST MI-2600MP OPTICAL USB MICRO MOUSE (the wheel is running under LION in the opposite way)..

Thanks in advance and a good bottle of Italian Wine for You...

Bye :(:P

dsdt.aml.zip

Just in case it helps anyone else, I want to share my experience.

I tried the elviejo/MaLD0n method on my P5K-VM last night and had some serious issues getting the USB drive to boot. I tried different DSDTs as a fallback plan, but I just got different errors depending on which DSDT I used. My main blocking error with no DSDT seemed to be "SerialATAPI device reconfiguration did not complete successfully."

I eventually tried using elviejo's kexts (with no DSDT) but on the USB drive as well. That finally got me booted into the installer with no problems. Now I'm having trouble booting the installed OS too, but I'll work on that tonight I think.

I'm not sure why my machine is different, but things don't seem to be going at all according to the elviejo/MaLD0n plan.

Hi,

is there any clever boy hat could help me in setting up by dsdt file?

I followed the MaLd0n guide and now Lion is running...

I did not change the dsdt file because I am not able to change it.

Starting from a Linux distro live I got my fresh dsdtl file (attached).

Here is my hardware:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E6550 2,33 Ghz

Graphics: Ge Force 8500Gt 1G

Memory: Bank0/DIMM0 DDR2 SDRAM 800Mhz 2G A-DATA

Memory: Bank1/DIMM1 DDR2 SDRAM 800Mhz 1G A-DATA

Memory: Bank2/DIMM2 DDR2 SDRAM 800Mhz 2G A-DATA

Memory: Bank3/DIMM3 -------NO RAM---------

FIREWIRE: A PCI card that provides 3 Fire Wire ports

HD: on SATA 1 - SAMSUNG HD501LJ - GUID Partition Table with Lion - 500.11 GB - disk1

HD: on SATA 3 - FUJITSU MHY2250BH - Master Boot Record - 250.06 G - disk2

HD: on SATA 4 - WDC WD1500ADFD-00NLR5 - GUID Partition Table - 150.04 GB -disk0

DVD: on SATA 2 - HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H62N

Keyboard: USB Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600

Mouse: TRUST MI-2600MP OPTICAL USB MICRO MOUSE (the wheel is running under LION in the opposite way)..

Thanks in advance and a good bottle of Italian Wine for You...

Bye :):D

Why you don't try the one I posted?. Based in the MidnightDavid experience, I think Chameleon override the CPU section on the DSDT with the entries on the com.apple.Boot.plist C and P states, anyway, you also can replace my CPU entries with the generics on your DSDT, there is a good guide to do that in BlackCH boot cd: http://blackchblog.weebly.com/

Good luck. ;)

Just in case it helps anyone else, I want to share my experience.

I tried the elviejo/MaLD0n method on my P5K-VM last night and had some serious issues getting the USB drive to boot. I tried different DSDTs as a fallback plan, but I just got different errors depending on which DSDT I used. My main blocking error with no DSDT seemed to be "SerialATAPI device reconfiguration did not complete successfully."

I eventually tried using elviejo's kexts (with no DSDT) but on the USB drive as well. That finally got me booted into the installer with no problems. Now I'm having trouble booting the installed OS too, but I'll work on that tonight I think.

I'm not sure why my machine is different, but things don't seem to be going at all according to the elviejo/MaLD0n plan.

Check the MaLD0n guide again, did you install the Extra folder and Chameleon as instructed on the guide? also, will be useful if you post with more details the issues you encounter. :P

Check the MaLD0n guide again, did you install the Extra folder and Chameleon as instructed on the guide? also, will be useful if you post with more details the issues you encounter. ;)

I did install Extra and Chameleon as instructed, and it seemed to get past the initial boot at first. I got to a white screen with a beach ball, so I assumed it was a graphics card issue. Then I started trying DSDTs, GraphicsEnabler, and such to get that working, but I could never get past the initial booting sequence again (even when I put everything back the way it was). I would have posted more details, but my results seemed inconsistent, so I didn't have any concrete data. In the end, it booted up super fast and perfect when I put your kexts on the USB installer instead of MaLD0n's.

Also, I did get a chance to finish the installation last night following your guide, and everything's working perfectly including sound. So far it seems to be the most stable installation I've ever had on this machine, so thanks a lot for the great kexts and guide! :)

For future reference, my specs are:

Asus P5K-VM

Core2 Duo E8400

GeForce 9400 GT

I did install Extra and Chameleon as instructed, and it seemed to get past the initial boot at first. I got to a white screen with a beach ball, so I assumed it was a graphics card issue. Then I started trying DSDTs, GraphicsEnabler, and such to get that working, but I could never get past the initial booting sequence again (even when I put everything back the way it was). I would have posted more details, but my results seemed inconsistent, so I didn't have any concrete data. In the end, it booted up super fast and perfect when I put your kexts on the USB installer instead of MaLD0n's.

Also, I did get a chance to finish the installation last night following your guide, and everything's working perfectly including sound. So far it seems to be the most stable installation I've ever had on this machine, so thanks a lot for the great kexts and guide! :)

Asus P5K-VM

Core2 Duo E8400

GeForce 9400 GT

I am glad you finally solve all the issues, we are here to help each other. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I have a small problem with my installation of Lion. It works great, but when I did a shutdown, the PSU and the motherboard do not shutdown. I have to press the power button a few seconds. The next boot, I have no CMOS error but the sound does not work. I have to do a startup with -f flag to get the sound.

I use the kexts of elviejo (except NVenabler and JMicron) and elviejo DSDT (I replace the section of the CPU).

Another thing, i change to imac12,2in smbios.plist

Any idea?

Hello,

I have a small problem with my installation of Lion. It works great, but when I did a shutdown, the PSU and the motherboard do not shutdown. I have to press the power button a few seconds. The next boot, I have no CMOS error but the sound does not work. I have to do a startup with -f flag to get the sound.

I use the kexts of elviejo (except NVenabler and JMicron) and elviejo DSDT (I replace the section of the CPU).

Another thing, i change to imac12,2in smbios.plist

Any idea?

NVenabler and JMicron are optionals, but, I think you must use the MacPro smbios.plist, try and check the results. Let us know if that solve the problem. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I'm trying to install OS X Lion on my P5K-VM system. I had it running with OS X Snow Leopard until the hackintosh drive burnt out. Now I just want to install Lion on a new drive.

I tried to follow the above tutorial, but found some difficulty as I was presented with just a white screen with the rainbow circle spinning around.

I'm not too sure that I have the correct BIOS settings, so it'd be great if someone could outline what these should be.

Thanks!

Hi

I'm trying to install OS X Lion on my P5K-VM system. I had it running with OS X Snow Leopard until the hackintosh drive burnt out. Now I just want to install Lion on a new drive.

I tried to follow the above tutorial, but found some difficulty as I was presented with just a white screen with the rainbow circle spinning around.

I'm not too sure that I have the correct BIOS settings, so it'd be great if someone could outline what these should be.

Thanks!

If you search this tread you will find the bios settings, but, in your case, I think the problem could be your graphics card, why you don't list the hardware you are using to better understand your problem?. ;)

If you search this tread you will find the bios settings, but, in your case, I think the problem could be your graphics card, why you don't list the hardware you are using to better understand your problem?. :)

The hardware I'm currently using is:

P5K-VM

Intel Core2Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S202N

HDD ST3500320AS (500GB)

HDD WDC WD5000AAKS-00YGA0 (1TB)

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

The hardware I'm currently using is:

P5K-VM

Intel Core2Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S202N

HDD ST3500320AS (500GB)

HDD WDC WD5000AAKS-00YGA0 (1TB)

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Did you follow the instructions to the letter? Your video card is supported. Take example of this:

"Aikinai

InsanelyMac Protégé

Jul 14 2011, 07:13 PM Post #1163

Group: Members

Member No.: 38,715

QUOTE (elviejo @ Jul 14 2011, 01:44 AM)

Check the MaLD0n guide again, did you install the Extra folder and Chameleon as instructed on the guide? also, will be useful if you post with more details the issues you encounter.

Also, I did get a chance to finish the installation last night following your guide, and everything's working perfectly including sound. So far it seems to be the most stable installation I've ever had on this machine, so thanks a lot for the great kexts and guide!

Asus P5K-VM

Core2 Duo E8400

GeForce 9400 GT"

It sounds extremely similar to your problem, I can't stress people to follow what is proven to the letter to get success, in any case your bios must be the last one for this board and the settings area as follow:

BIOS: 1001

Diskette:" Irrelevant you can use whatever " Disabled if you don't have it

SATA: AHCI

USB: Defaults

Internal Graphics Mode Select: Disabled

J-Micron PATA Controller:" Irrelevant you can use whatever "

Serial Port Address: " Irrelevant you can use whatever "

Parallel Port Address: " Irrelevant you can use whatever "

Suspend Mode: S3

Repost Video on S3 Resume: Disabled

ACPI Version: Enabled

APM Configuration: Defaults

By the way, you got the blank screen when booting from the USB stick or when booting from the Leo installation?

As a token here is a Bios rom you can use, is heavily modified and you can use it to install windows 7 with HP certificate. Enjoy.P5K_VM_ASUS_1001_SLIC.ROM.zip

• 4 weeks later...

I had my pc working flawlessly from 10.5 up until now on 10.7.1 The only changes i did at this update were upgrading my ram to 8gb and changed my video card to an ATI 5770 from an 8800GTS. My system goes to sleep but when it wakes all i get is a black screen. Below are my extra folder and dsdt. Any help would be great.

My hardware

P5k-VM 1001

Intel Core 2 Quad q6600 @ 3.6ghz

8GB 1066

ATI 5770 1GB using Eyefinity 1x Display Port 2x DVI

Extra.zip

Hi everyone,

Trying to fix a friend's hackintosh that had some issues after he installed an iTunes update (on SL).

Decided to install Lion, but I have a problem.

I used elviejo's instructions, but couldn't boot my installed Lion. Gave me that horrendous "still waiting for boot device error". The only way my Lion install booted without that error is when I deleted the dsdt.aml supplied by elviejo.

After generating my own dsdt.aml using DSDT Patcher GUI, I can boot fine, but don't have sound (I did install the supplied AppleHDA.kext). Upon inspection of the dsdt there doesn't seem to be any HDEF section.

Being an absolute beginner on this DSDT stuff, I'm wondering if I should copy the relevant HDEF part from elviejo's dsdt into mine. And which part the relevant one is, I wouldn't know. Neither how to proceed. Haven't seem to have found a DSDT for dummies guide and all other instructions concerning dsdt are so advanced they make my head spin.