[How to] Asus P5K-VM guide

delish

1,244 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Trying to fix a friend's hackintosh that had some issues after he installed an iTunes update (on SL).

Decided to install Lion, but I have a problem.

I used elviejo's instructions, but couldn't boot my installed Lion. Gave me that horrendous "still waiting for boot device error". The only way my Lion install booted without that error is when I deleted the dsdt.aml supplied by elviejo.

After generating my own dsdt.aml using DSDT Patcher GUI, I can boot fine, but don't have sound (I did install the supplied AppleHDA.kext). Upon inspection of the dsdt there doesn't seem to be any HDEF section.

Being an absolute beginner on this DSDT stuff, I'm wondering if I should copy the relevant HDEF part from elviejo's dsdt into mine. And which part the relevant one is, I wouldn't know. Neither how to proceed. Haven't seem to have found a DSDT for dummies guide and all other instructions concerning dsdt are so advanced they make my head spin.

Sorry for the delay, I wasn't available. I found very odd your problem, but, must of the times, it have to do with the settings in the bios, check those settings against the ones I posted and try again; you can copy and paste the HDA section on your dsdt, in order to do so you must decompile the dsdt, edit it and recompile again. In other subject the upgrade to 10.7.2 was smooth, the only thing who need to be reinstalled was the AppleHDA.kext. To the people running with problems with iCloud, replace the Chameleon boot with this:boot___With_Oleg_Facetime_fix.zip

hey guys

I have a big problem after updating to 10.7.2. I installed the os update and itunes after the reboot everything seems to be fine (pc loaded the kexts..) but when the login screen normaly appears, the monitor lost the video signal :P . I already tried to boot without cache (-f) and verbose mode but everytime the same problem. Then I repaired the permissions in disk utilites but it also doesn't help. Before the update everything worked fine. I don't know what to do? Do you have ideas how I can find the problem and solve it? Perhaps just a corrupted graphic driver?! I used nvenabler.

Many thanks in advance. I hope you have some good ideas :)

hmm. i upgraded from fully working 10.7.1 to 10.7.2. initially boot stopped working and i had to reinstall to r1496 version of chameleon. that fixed the boot but audio is still not working. I reinstalled posted AppleHDA.kext, rebuilt kext caches, even rebuilt dsdt file. Still no audio. System information shows the following in Audio (Built In) section:

Intel High Definition Audio: Audio ID: 12

Line Output: Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack

External Microphone / iPhone Headset: Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack

External Microphone / iPhone Headset: Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack

Headphone: Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack

S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio Output: Connection: RCA

Any suggestions where to look next? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all. Long time since I posted on this thread too. Was going to get my Hackintosh back up and running with Lion, but after having looked at that walkthrough I think I'll give it a miss. I'd hoped that the whole install procedure would have simplified over time, but it seems to be even worse now than it was in the early Snow Leopard days. I got so frustrated with keeping my two Hackintoshs running and up-to-date that I bought Macbook Pros for myself and my wife. I admire your perseverance guys, but I'm not coming back. :huh::D

Hi,

I cannot update from 10.7. to 10.7.1 or 10.7.2.

It fails with the error "Mac OS X Update can't be installed on this disk.

The volume does not meet the requirements for this update".

The disk is GUI.

Software update does not list any update for download and shows the system is uptodate.

Any hint?

thanks,

Pippo pippo

Hi,

I cannot update from 10.7. to 10.7.1 or 10.7.2.

It fails with the error "Mac OS X Update can't be installed on this disk.

The volume does not meet the requirements for this update".

The disk is GUI.

Software update does not list any update for download and shows the system is uptodate.

Any hint?

thanks,

Pippo pippo

From the PM you send me I understand you have installed the Developer Preview, if this is true you can't update from there, you need to install the GM.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, I hope to revive this thread to talk about installing [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with the pk5vm. The install of Lion goes smoothly but when I try to use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (which is what I used previously) it panics. Anyone got an idea on how to solve this?

Should I go down the custom DSDT route?

Q6600 and PK5-VM with 4gb memory.

Hi All, I hope to revive this thread to talk about installing [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with the pk5vm. The install of Lion goes smoothly but when I try to use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (which is what I used previously) it panics. Anyone got an idea on how to solve this?

Should I go down the custom DSDT route?

Q6600 and PK5-VM with 4gb memory.

This mobo works 100% with the DSDT, why you want to complicate things? :)

This mobo works 100% with the DSDT, why you want to complicate things? ;)

I may be a little late to the game here, but I've spent about an hour on this thread and there is a lot of information and disinformation. How come there are so many hoops to jump through if the mobo is identical??

I can get as far as Lion installed using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], from what I understand is at this stage you need all the proper drivers, which I think I have. Could someone PLEASE forward me a link to a working Q6600 P5K-VM DSDT without a graphics card? After that I can install my 7600GT drivers and hopefully should be able to get everything working. I understand that English might not be your first language, but this is complicated and risky stuff!! :)

I may be a little late to the game here, but I've spent about an hour on this thread and there is a lot of information and disinformation. How come there are so many hoops to jump through if the mobo is identical??

I can get as far as Lion installed using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], from what I understand is at this stage you need all the proper drivers, which I think I have. Could someone PLEASE forward me a link to a working Q6600 P5K-VM DSDT without a graphics card? After that I can install my 7600GT drivers and hopefully should be able to get everything working. I understand that English might not be your first language, but this is complicated and risky stuff!! :)

There is a guide posted at: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1706120

The only problem you have is the video card, the 7000 series don't work fully since snow leopard, the DSDT posted

at the link works 100%,you only need to replace the CPU section with the one you have, you can search the forum for it, or you can do it yourself, there are several guides teaching you how to do it; again read carefully the guide posted in the link and follow it, if other people had success you could have to. Good luck. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

First, sorry for my poor english, i'm french guy.

Thanks to elvieja to bulding the Lion Tuto !

But I encountred some problem...

1 - When i type:

cd ~/path to your Asus P5K-VM Audio kext and Extra Folder/Extra/DSDT

I don't have this folder. I have well dsdt.aml unzipped from the P5KVM extra zip file...but no folder.

and

When i type:

./update.sh

I have: Unable to find update.sh

Same problem for the next line where i need to type ./update.sh

2 - Audio is working, but output is different in windows ! In OSX = Black port, in Windows = Green port. It's possible to remapp port ? maybe with other kexts?

Can you help me ?

Thanks,

regards,

Cber

Hello,

First, sorry for my poor english, i'm french guy.

Thanks to elvieja to bulding the Lion Tuto !

But I encountred some problem...

1 - When i type:

cd ~/path to your Asus P5K-VM Audio kext and Extra Folder/Extra/DSDT

I don't have this folder. I have well dsdt.aml unzipped from the P5KVM extra zip file...but no folder.

and

When i type:

./update.sh

I have: Unable to find update.sh

Same problem for the next line where i need to type ./update.sh

2 - Audio is working, but output is different in windows ! In OSX = Black port, in Windows = Green port. It's possible to remapp port ? maybe with other kexts?

Can you help me ?

Thanks,

regards,

Cber

Sorry, somehow the files got messed up, use this one.Extra.zip

I don't have the problem you have with the audio, you are sure you used the files I posted?. try replacing with the ones in this reply. Good luck.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had this installed now for a few months and still am unable to shut down. What have I forgotten about?

Shutdown in verbose mode ( -v ) to see what's preventing the computer to shutdown, take a pic and post it, so we can determine the cause. :wink2:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have Mountain lion DP2 installed and working except shutdown tried dsdt and evoreboot with no success sound working with kexts no voodoo hda firewire appears in system profiler iCloud works app store works first impressions is its faster than lion 10.7.3

• 2 months later...

I have installed ML DP4 using MyHack 3.1. The installation worked like a charm. Postinstallation almost perfect, not need any extra kext for the graphic card (GeForce 9500 GT family), had maximum resolution and graphic acceleration, even during the installation. The system is fast and works like a charm, so this motherboard has very good potential yet.

I have no sound (even installing the patched AppleHDA doesn't work) and I have no network connectivity (LegacyYukon2.kext from Lion doesn't work). The dsdt file seems to not count (having it in the /Extra causes kernel panic at restart/shutdown). I have installed only these extensions in the /Extra/Extension directory:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
ApplePS2Controller.kext
FakeSMC.kext
Ispcdriv.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
Patched_10.7_AppleRTC.kext

Is anyone that got more success with this excellent motherboard?

I finally did it. All working now. I added these:

For internal sata drive icons: IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext in E/E

For audio get ALC883 (Mountain Lion) in osx86.net and follow instructions

For network: Search Marvell Yukon 88E8056 in osx86.net and get the modded IONetworkingfamily.kext and install it in S/L/E

Unfortunatelly, the dsdt is mandatory, without it you get orange drive icons and no network, even the proper kexts are properly installed;

Keep the modded AppleHDA.kext and IONetworkingfamily.kext for reinstalling them after every update!

Mountain Lion is faster than Lion on my configuration, so this motherboard is still very good. Don't put it on ignore!

Im waiting for the official 10.8 release next month. Then I'll upgrade and post my impressions here.

Never upgraded to Lion (I even downgraded my MBP 2011 to snow leopard!)

Indeed this is still a good board. Its amazing how OSX makes old hardware to feel like bleeding edge

• 3 weeks later...

I've just updated from 10.7.2 to 10.7.4, but I can't load OSX. I get as far as the following when I boot in verbose:

com.apple.launchd 1 com.apple.launchctl.System 2 The system bootstrapper has crashed: Trace/BPT trap: 5

AppleYukon2: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056 Singleport Copper SA

AppleYukon2: RxRingSize <= 1024, TxRingSize 256, RX_MAX_LE 1024, TX_MAX_LE 768, ST_MAX_LE 3328

Anyone got any idea how to fix?

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, I have vanilla Mountain Lion GM running on the p5kvm really fine.

You need to follow this guide:

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=280756

Im attaching my files here. Remember to use your own DSDT file. Mine is customized for the q8200 and 4MB ram.

This should give you audio (3 out, 1 in, digital out), ethernet, sleep, speedstep, rtc (no cmos reset). Im using a Nvidia 9500GT graphic card which works with chameleon's graphic enabler.

The audio needs a bit more work. It gives some assertion errors at boot.

p5kvm_ML.zip

Thank you BlackCH. I want to mention, all kexts would be installed in /Extra/Extensions, except AppleHDA, which will be installed in /System/Library/Extensions. I was replacing my all /Extra kexts with yours and the system works even better. I have my own dsdt and I kept the patched AppleHDA for ALC883, found in osx6.net. I have a 2+1speaker system to each of my hackintoshes.

Guys, I have vanilla Mountain Lion GM running on the p5kvm really fine.

You need to follow this guide:

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=280756

Im attaching my files here. Remember to use your own DSDT file. Mine is customized for the q8200 and 4MB ram.

This should give you audio (3 out, 1 in, digital out), ethernet, sleep, speedstep, rtc (no cmos reset). Im using a Nvidia 9500GT graphic card which works with chameleon's graphic enabler.

The audio needs a bit more work. It gives some assertion errors at boot.

Thanks, BlackCH, works like a charm with the 10.8 Gold Master.