G4 upgrade cards... worth it?

15 posts in this topic

I have an aging Digital Audio PowerMac with dual 533MHz Processors 768MB SDRAM (PC133). This thing was awesome in it's day, and is still a good web surfer but it's getting slow on some video apps. Here's my question... Would it be worth it to get a 1.6GHz or 1.8GHz single processor upgrade card for this machine? The stock processors each have a 1MB cache memory and the upgrade cards have really small caches arpund 256k - 512k. With such a small cache and only one processor am I going to see any kind of boost in performance? Would it be worth shelling out $200?

Thanks,

Stereobus

If you had a lot of money invested in RAM, Video Card, and PCI cards that wouldn't work on a newer system, I'd say it would be worth it, but otherwise I'd say it might make more sense to buy a newer, used system.

I would say, stay away from the Freescale 7447A processors just for that reason. Max 512k L2. In my opinion, i would say go for the Newertech 7448 cpu's. They have a full 1 meg L2 which would is around a 35 to 40% boost over the 7447A. Then i would go for a decent videocard. Either an ATI 9800 256 mac edition, or a third party Geforce card like a 6200, 6800 or even a 7800. Then pumping the machine to a full 1.5 gig of ram would help with the bottlenech of it being somewhat slow. The more ram in a mac, the better.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing to remember about L2 cache size is the speed. Some upgrade cards run their L2 cache at full processor speed so the size isn't the only factor. One could have 512KB cache at the full 1.6GHz speed where another would have 1MB at 800MHz speed.

I personally think the upgrade is worth it. I upgraded my old Sawtooth from 400MHz to a 1.6GHz PowerLogix card and it made a world of difference. I just don't recommend using PowerLogix as they tend to be "buzzy".

My G4 - digital audio - Mac has been upgraded from a 477Mhz Stock CPU to a 1.2Ghz upgrade card including active CPU fan. Emulators run full speed, I can even run Prey and Doom3 on it.

I did upgrade to a modified PC 6800 Radeon Pro sporting 256Mb memory as well. For me it was definitely worth it as a new Mac was out of my financial league at the time :D

I also have a Digital Audio PowerMac with single 533MHz processor. I've just ordered a Sonnet 1.8GHz card. Could you (Mark1970) please tell me where did you get the modified PC 6800 Radeon Pro 256MB card? The other thing on my list is to boost the RAM to the max since I have only 640MB. And with my original configuration even browsing with Safari in Leopard OS X 10.5 9a527 is a pain.Thanks,Pesho

I also have a Digital Audio PowerMac with single 533MHz processor. I've just ordered a Sonnet 1.8GHz card. Could you (Mark1970) please tell me where did you get the modified PC 6800 Radeon Pro 256MB card? The other thing on my list is to boost the RAM to the max since I have only 640MB. And with my original configuration even browsing with Safari in Leopard OS X 10.5 9a527 is a pain.Thanks,Pesho

A guy from the Netherlands over here flashed it for me. I cannot find his contact info in my mail box anymore. There's tons of people who modify PC graphics cards for Macs in your neighborhood, just google a little!

Ah Leopard, with only 640Mb must truly be a pain. Be sure to get 133Mhz memory!

Yes, they are extremely easy to flash as long as you pick the right cards.

http://themacelite.wikispaces.com/

I have done many cpu upgrades. I have been very happy with my gigadesign 1.6 , 1.8 gig dual cpu. I have one in my girfriends gigabit g4 and my digital audio g4. I had dual 533 cpu and it still struggled with video and other files. Now it can handle most tasks without incident.

But I have a question for you guys. I have a hackintosh that can do no wrong. Asus p5w deluxe with c2duo 6300, and xfx 7300. I run dual monitors on both machines but my g4 video cards are slow and lame. I don't want to have to get rid of my g4, but I need a video card that has core image and quartz extreme. What type of card can I use? My head is spinning with all of the possibilities. Does anyone know the most affordable upgrade graphics card for dual monitors( hack or not) for a g4 digital audio. I hav e been to the macelite and strangedogs, but I built my hackintosh just using info from insanelymac so I come here first to ask questions.

At some point I'll have to get rid of my g4 but I want to use till it runs into the ground. But I don't want to throw money away trying to keep obsolete technology running, because my hackintosh cost the same amount as the damn cpu upgrade for the g4.