Longhorn/Vista? XP Warmed Over?

Swad

46 posts in this topic

I would never run Win Vista... it has hog up your system with too many extra stuff.......and I hear rumor that it call back to home and keep track of everything you do.........

A friend that work inside of MS say they will give the update to Window 2003 to make run as Vista. Don't know what he mean by that......

Eh... totally nonplussed by just about anything Windurrs since I became a Mac user. Vista is a step in the right direction which strangely seems to always be in the same direction Apple is standing at the moment. Huh.

Every release of Mac OS X gets better, snappier (teh snappy!), more features, refinement of interface... Exposé alone is a way badass example of the incremental improvements. Faster boot times, faster shutdown times. Where else can OS X be improved with Leopard? I can't think of anything I'd change because Le Tigre works so damned well already. And it's only been out for 4 months!

I hope all you kiddies are having fun with Tiger on your Intel hardware and seeing what the most advanced OS is up to, and seeing where MS has to play catch up.

Microsoft is in a hard place right now, and I believe their marketshare will go one way from here: down.

Eh... totally nonplussed by just about anything Windurrs since I became a Mac user.  Vista is a step in the right direction which strangely seems to always be in the same direction Apple is standing at the moment.  Huh. 

Every release of Mac OS X gets better, snappier (teh snappy!), more features, refinement of interface... Exposé alone is a way badass example of the incremental improvements.  Faster boot times, faster shutdown times.  Where else can OS X be improved with Leopard?  I can't think of anything I'd change because Le Tigre works so damned well already.  And it's only been out for 4 months! 

I hope all you kiddies are having fun with Tiger on your Intel hardware and seeing what the most advanced OS is up to, and seeing where MS has to play catch up.

Microsoft is in a hard place right now, and I believe their marketshare will go one way from here: down.

I totally agree, oh mighty Mr. Jobs. :)

Haha, anyway.

I realized at first how disappointing Windows is by trying out a few Linux distros. When I found Ubuntu, I was just amazed at how...amazing it is.

Think about this:

Microsoft hasn't come out with a new home user OS since 2001, and has only come out with a few neccessary and crappy updates for XP. Apple has come out with (I think) 4 since then. The Ubuntu team, a team of people dedicated to providing a completely free and AMAZING OS, is promising a new release every SIX MONTHS. So then I began to think, "Hey, these guys are busting their butts to release this to me every 6 months for free, and what is Microsoft doing for me?" The answer isn't really surprising: only what the HAVE to do, and sometimes not even that. Thanks alot MS.

So when I discovered that there were things bigger and better than Windows, I found something that caught my eye even more than Ubuntu did: of course, a Mac; my friend's iBook. So now I'm a Mac user. I love it, and I can't understand why the market is the way it is, with Windows on what? 90% of computers? How absurd!

And like Steve said up there; I really hope you guys are having fun trying to get your OS X installations working. If they ever begin to work perfectly on your intels, as they are intended to work, you will be in computing bliss. You will never want to see a Windows PC ever again.

I totally agree, oh mighty Mr. Jobs. :P

Haha, anyway.

I realized at first how disappointing Windows is by trying out a few Linux distros.  When I found Ubuntu, I was just amazed at how...amazing it is. 

Think about this:

Microsoft hasn't come out with a new home user OS since 2001, and has only come out with a few neccessary and crappy updates for XP.  Apple has come out with (I think) 4 since then.  The Ubuntu team, a team of people dedicated to providing a completely free and AMAZING OS, is promising a new release every SIX MONTHS.  So then I began to think, "Hey, these guys are busting their butts to release this to me every 6 months for free, and what is Microsoft doing for me?"  The answer isn't really surprising:  only what the HAVE to do, and sometimes not even that.  Thanks alot MS.

So when I discovered that there were things bigger and better than Windows, I found something that caught my eye even more than Ubuntu did:  of course, a Mac; my friend's iBook.  So now I'm a Mac user.  I love it, and I can't understand why the market is the way it is, with Windows on what? 90% of computers?  How absurd!

And like Steve said up there; I really hope you guys are having fun trying to get your OS X installations working.  If they ever begin to work perfectly on your intels, as they are intended to work, you will be in computing bliss.  You will never want to see a Windows PC ever again.

ubuntu and linux in general is good for us but i wouldnt give it to my grandma. So in otherwords it is a niche OS. knock vista all you want but beta 1 has very good compaibility with xp when using the compatibility mode on .exe's and with the saturation of windows boxes thats a smart feature, but i see opporitunity for an apple coup! :wacko:

I would never run Win Vista... it has hog up your system with too many extra stuff.......and I hear rumor that it call back to home and keep track of everything you do.........

A friend that work inside of MS say they will give the update to Window 2003 to make run as Vista. Don't know what he mean by that......

Somebodys alittle too paranoid. And, MS ain't going to "make" users run Vista, thats bullcrap. From what I heard tracking what people do is illegal. Calling home I also think is bullcrap. How would they get your Phone Number? Have dirty sex with a hooker (no offence)?

Is it just me or does that name suck?

it's not just you :lol:

anyways, I tried beta 1, and um... aint nothing that i saw in it that already makes me wanna give up XP, i mean, besides the funny orange lighting in the black task bar when you get an IM... oh yeah, good point for the, all the "My" folders lost their "My". Sounds a bit less {censored} like this :).

i've tried here 5203 for 5 minutes

ir's runs like a whore

someday m$ will know how to optimize an os for all kind of computers.

now, what really runs like a whore, it's IE7. has anyone tried it? It's nuthing less than a pure imitation of Firefox, except for the performance. It's slow as hell compared to Firefox in Vista.

btw, while I was running the Beta 1 in VMware, it was like it was making the hard disk it was running on read/write alot, making my whole system very sluggish. anyone observed that too?

Somebodys alittle too paranoid. And, MS ain't going to "make" users run Vista, thats bullcrap. From what I heard tracking what people do is illegal. Calling home I also think is bullcrap. How would they get your Phone Number? Have dirty sex with a hooker (no offence)?

Read this :

Although Microsoft has been pretty liberal with its licenses regarding the activation of Win XP and Office XP, I see this ending soon. Allchin says Longhorn will update itself automatically; apparently, no questions will be asked. Where does this lead?

Microsoft has been a big booster of UCITA, the horrid law that would give a software company the right to spy on your machine and shut it down remotely.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...304/ai_n9517334

http://www.arl.org/info/frn/copy/ucitapg.html

Wouldn't it calling home give MS your IP address/MAC address, which is just as good as your phone number? (though I'm not sure why MS would want your phone number)

I totally agree, oh mighty Mr. Jobs. ;)

Haha, anyway.

I realized at first how disappointing Windows is by trying out a few Linux distros.  When I found Ubuntu, I was just amazed at how...amazing it is. 

Think about this:

Microsoft hasn't come out with a new home user OS since 2001, and has only come out with a few neccessary and crappy updates for XP.  Apple has come out with (I think) 4 since then.  The Ubuntu team, a team of people dedicated to providing a completely free and AMAZING OS, is promising a new release every SIX MONTHS.  So then I began to think, "Hey, these guys are busting their butts to release this to me every 6 months for free, and what is Microsoft doing for me?"  The answer isn't really surprising:  only what the HAVE to do, and sometimes not even that.  Thanks alot MS.

So when I discovered that there were things bigger and better than Windows, I found something that caught my eye even more than Ubuntu did:  of course, a Mac; my friend's iBook.  So now I'm a Mac user.  I love it, and I can't understand why the market is the way it is, with Windows on what? 90% of computers?  How absurd!

And like Steve said up there; I really hope you guys are having fun trying to get your OS X installations working.  If they ever begin to work perfectly on your intels, as they are intended to work, you will be in computing bliss.  You will never want to see a Windows PC ever again.

the reality is that what's on the computer people don't care about as long as they can PLAY with it. for every game available in macos there are 10+ available in windoz. and DarWINE might help, But until you get full porting of all the hottest new games to Both the gamers will all Grumble and grone and have Dual boot systems(See Sig) when a MAC will run all my games I'll Kill the White box I Built my self and get a mac. (more likely buy a copy of osx for x86 and patch if for my white box) :P

As an old wise man once said, computers will never be used in a home environment because they are business machines (6 months after that the first computer games for the Commedore were released)

Wouldn't it calling home give MS your IP address/MAC address, which is just as good as your phone number? (though I'm not sure why MS would want your phone number)

wait, how could anyone remotly get your MAC address? I thought MAC addresses were some kinda hardware addresses... anyways, scary enough if Vista is gonna try to elephant us like that. But by the time most of us will decide to switch to that new piece of {censored}, a thousand of geniously hackers will have developped some patch/crack, just like reset5 for XP.

It is possible to get your MAC address. all it needs is to call home with some basic hardware info. It doesnt take much. In the words of Princess Leia Organna (starwars for those not in the know) The more you tighten your grip, (Microsoft), the more systems will slip through your fingers.

wait, how could anyone remotly get your MAC address? I thought MAC addresses were some kinda hardware addresses... anyways, scary enough if Vista is gonna try to elephant us like that.

Everytime you connect to any website, you'll send your IP + Mac address to the other end.

And isn't it already old story of that when you update anything from M$, they'll get information of every program which is installed in your computer and what else ?

Vista = XP SP3 :)