New iMacs Introduced

58 posts in this topic

I was hoping they'd have quad-core processors in the highest end iMacs. Or at least have that option to upgrade to quad-core. Perhaps we'll get to see them in the next upgrade cycle. These new ones look great, by the way.

I've never pulled one apart or run CPU-Z on one but my understanding is that iMac is built on the Meron chips, which are the "laptop" family of CPUs. For the same reason they don't use the 8800 or 2900 GPUs, low power usage so they can pack it all in on the back of a small, quiet, sexy display. There are no current quad Merons. I don't recall if a quad laptop CPU is on Intel's roadmap, but if Intel eventually does build a 479 package quad chip then you would be able to upgrade at that point.

Anybody notice this image from the imac's site?

imackeyboard_4_20070807.jpg

I personally think this form of advertisement is quite un-necessary, and I really find it annoying. It seems downright childish, and personally can they really go and do that...

Oh look we are apple, and we are better than Dell!

Okay, I understand the whole Mac vs. PC,

But isn't there some form of legality where you out right say, "Oh we are better than they are" especially in the form of advertisement...

Heck, how about those house cleaning things commercial...Like Pledge, Lysol wipes! When they compare their product they don't use the other companies names, maybe the product shape/colors a bit resembling but they don't use their names...

But apple, the smart-asses they are seem to ignore this, and go ahead with pointing fingers at other companies, not only Microsoft now, and pointing out their flaws...

And come on! What did Dell?! Why is apple picking on them now?!

Sometimes marketing will choose not to put a competitor's name in an ad to avoid building name recognition for their competitor. That doesn't really apply here with Dell I would think.

Sometimes competitors will reach a "gentleman's" agreement not to use the other's name in their commercials. The example that comes to mind here is Duracell and Energizer.

But legally, as long as you aren't commiting libel, and I can't see where that'd be the case here, I believe you can name a competitor and/or display their product.

That picture really underlines a strength of the iMac's design, it seems fair. It isn't like they have a baby getting taggled and strangling in that nest of cables behind the Dell. :rolleyes: It's just messy and it is a PITA to sort through on the occation that you do need to, at least in my years of experience. They do sell cable trays specifically for that, but even those just clear up the visual clutter you see all the time and if anything tend to hinder you when you try to move things around.

That iMac vs Dell thing is ridiculous.. Who has that many wires?? All of mine of neat and orderly, and I have a glass desk to I have to keep them that way. I must applaud Apple though, I never liked the iMac. But now I want one!

I feel let down by the new imacs, I've been holding out for this update since getting my macbook, but not having a hdmi socket or any other way of plugging other devices into a 24" screen is inexcusable, I'm buying a dell ultra sharp and bulding a hackintosh around it instead.

I feel let down by the new imacs, I've been holding out for this update since getting my macbook, but not having a hdmi socket or any other way of plugging other devices into a 24" screen is inexcusable, I'm buying a dell ultra sharp and bulding a hackintosh around it instead.

You can buy a Mini-DVI to DVI/Video/VGA adapter. That way, you can connect another DVI/Video/VGA monitor into the iMac.

As for plugging in devices to the monitor, Apple sells monitors that have built in FireWire 400 and USB 2.0 that you can use.

There is a reason why Apple is picking on Dell (visually outright) rather than HP, Acer, or any other PC manufacturer. Jobs had a personal shoulder clash with Michael...back in the late 90s'...remember that one? The one where when Michael was asked what he would do if he were to take over Apple...he said that he would shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders. Then Jobs retaliated by saying that Dell is their next target. That's how it all started...and that's why Apple loves visually embarassing Dell so much.

I can't say that the picture of the Dell and its cluttered wires stands true for everyone, but for the vast majority it does. I know my [HP] desktop looked like that before I got my MBP. I personally don't think what Apple is doing is childish at all...infact Dell deserves this straight up.

Many companies nowadays actually state their competitors names in their commercials. Hyundai for example...always say on their commercial that their cars have the same features that BMW has...only they cost X mount of money less. Toyota (in the new Yaris commercial) compares it self with Honda (the fit)...GM commercials state that they have european engineering...and then state that they are just like Mercedes and BMW (yeah, right).

There is a reason why Apple is picking on Dell (visually outright) rather than HP, Acer, or any other PC manufacturer. Jobs had a personal shoulder clash with Michael...back in the late 90s'...remember that one? The one where when Michael was asked what he would do if he were to take over Apple...he said that he would shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders. Then Jobs retaliated by saying that Dell is their next target. That's how it all started...and that's why Apple loves visually embarassing Dell so much.

I can't say that the picture of the Dell and its cluttered wires stands true for everyone, but for the vast majority it does. I know my [HP] desktop looked like that before I got my MBP. I personally don't think what Apple is doing is childish at all...infact Dell deserves this straight up.

Many companies nowadays actually state their competitors names in their commercials. Hyundai for example...always say on their commercial that their cars have the same features that BMW has...only they cost X mount of money less. Toyota (in the new Yaris commercial) compares it self with Honda (the fit)...GM commercials state that they have european engineering...and then state that they are just like Mercedes and BMW (yeah, right).

True, speaking of which though...I never really understood those car commercial your mentioning... Because sure Hyumdai and GM can find tons of ups in comparison with pricey cars...But the last time I checked a person buy a Mercedes and BMW not for the price, but for the luxury...lol...But then again most of today's commercials are a tad retarded..*cough* anti-drug commercial...

True, speaking of which though...I never really understood those car commercial your mentioning... Because sure Hyumdai and GM can find tons of ups in comparison with pricey cars...But the last time I checked a person buy a Mercedes and BMW not for the price, but for the luxury...lol...But then again most of today's commercials are a tad retarded..*cough* anti-drug commercial...

I especially hate the Hyndai ones....makes me want to phone Taiwan and want to yell at the chief design manager on the line. A Hyundai...is not a BMW...not matter how hard they friggin try to convince the people. You should see the latest commercial for the Sonata (I think its Sonata..either that or the Elantra)....they go all out on features...trying to compare it to a BMW. But the fact remains that they only mention the most basic features. Last time I saw an onboard HUD windshield navigation system, Bose 5.1 sound system, fine wood trimmings, rotating front lights, etc. on a Hyundai...was..erm...oh yeah...never!

And I hate it when ever an American car manufacturer (cough*GM*cough) say they have european engineering. If they had that, then their cars wouldn't be re-called every 6 months. Jeez.

For the record, I drive a Honda. :unsure:

So yeah anyways back to the article at hand...like I was saying...Dell deserves this. Just look at their Vostro lineup of "small business" laptops....they look like the compaq laptops from the early 90's. I seriously wonder where the designers for Dell computers in general went....the "Fugly Institute" perhaps? (yes, that was from MacDailyNews)

And I hate it when ever an American car manufacturer (cough*GM*cough) say they have european engineering. If they had that, then their cars wouldn't be re-called every 6 months. Jeez.

They are just failing to mention that it engineering from eastern europe tempered with the reliability heritage of the British automobiles. :unsure: This isn't your Fatherland's Oldsmobile.

They are just failing to mention that it engineering from eastern europe tempered with the reliability heritage of the British automobiles. :wacko: This isn't your Fatherland's Oldsmobile.

Could you reword that. :P .

You can buy a Mini-DVI to DVI/Video/VGA adapter. That way, you can connect another DVI/Video/VGA monitor into the iMac.

As for plugging in devices to the monitor, Apple sells monitors that have built in FireWire 400 and USB 2.0 that you can use.

But they're not iMacs, they're just monitors, the only appeal of the iMac is that its all in one, having a 24" iMac and having to buy another 24" LCD to use with anything other than the iMac makes no sense, not when I can buy a 24" LCD and plug my macbook, 360, Wii, HD DVD or anything else I feel like plugging in.

How about: "They get to call it european engineering because they outsourced the designing of the tire changing jack to some guy in Minsk who in turn just ripped Lada's design." :D

Ha, makes more sense. :) Still, get what I mean by them not being "true" european engineered? :P

you guys are all aware that this is only Saab right? - which is actually a european company purchased by General motors

I know Saab...but I've seen it on Saturn, Ford, and Chevy commercials as well.

I especially hate the Hyndai ones....makes me want to phone Taiwan and want to yell at the chief design manager on the line.

First of all, Hyundai is a South Korean company and their designers reside here in the States (at least the Sonata designers, not sure of the rest). Get your facts straight before you ever bash on anyone.

First of all, Hyundai is a South Korean company and their designers reside here in the States (at least the Sonata designers, not sure of the rest). Get your facts straight before you ever bash on anyone.

My mistake. You got the point didn't you? That's all it matters.

Saturn's new Vue and upcoming Astra hatchback are european derived/rebadged. The Vue is the Opel/Vauxhall Antara and the Astra is itself. The Aura is lightly based on the Opel/Vauxhall Vectra. Currently using the Epsilon platform. The second generation will use the Epsilon II underpinnings, and be even more similar to the Vectra. D: I know too little about cars.

...Hyundai is hella ghetto. That is all.

Anyway, I'd Kill for a new 24" iMac. But I shall wait for the newest cat.