Quad-core Hackintosh for FCP 6

171 posts in this topic

Hi BJMoose

We have nearly 100% identical hardware so please forgive my many questions :-)

Have you managed to get your Mike INPUT to work on the BADAXE2 ?

I cannot speak over Skype and would like to ?

Also have you heard of any fix for USB auto detecting of Camcorders ? I use a cannon HDR-SR1 and would like to import my native files into iMovie.

BTW , iMovie installed 100% onto my uphuck 10.4.9

any ideas will be well appreciated ...

thanks

Vince

There is no way currently to get the mic working with the onboard sound...folks are still working on it. I use a Creative Labs 24bit Live USB box for all my sound. Haven't had even a glitch yet and it self installs during OS installation. I don't even have the sigmatel drivers installed anymore.

I capture native footage from a variety of camera sources but all through firewire. I don't own anything that captures video through USB. Sorry I can't help with that one.

Bj moose!!! thats an awesome case there!

I wish they would sell it here.

Thats simply great.. I am glad for you man,

with that setup you basically have unlimited space and possibilites..

As soon as i get some more time i will love to do someting like that..

Thanks Hirez, as soon as I saw the 8 sata controllers on this board I began thinking of a way to have the best of both worlds. I have a couple of other PCs that I use the same backplane with and I do love the Gigabyte Aurora case. I've got 2 blacks and a silver now. It was just a matter of waiting for a matching eSATA enclosure to come around to finish it off. They had a USB, SCSI, and Firewire case but not eSATA. As soon as it came out, I jumped on it. The fact that it looks like a mini-Gigabyte Aurora was just a bonus.

I just mentioned in another post that if someone comes up with the OSX answer to MacDrive7 for the PC, it would be perfect. NTFS-3G works well enough, but it doesn't allow you to use the full speed of your SATA drives. I can write SD material to it with no problems and it captures from my cameras okay, but I doubt if it will be too stable editing HD material.

Hi BJMoose,

Congratulations on your system. Your setup may inspire many copycats, myself included.

Can you elaborate on your disk subsystem? You write:

NTFS-3G works well enough, but it doesn't allow you to use the full speed of your SATA drives.

If I were to reproduce your configuration with identical hardware but without the need to access both disk clusters simultaneously, is there a way to format the respective clusters to work at their optimum speed when in their native OS? That is, could one configure cluster A for optimum disk perfomance in OSX, perhaps at the cost of said cluster not being available to windows at all, then do the same with cluster B for windows?

BTW, I don't see the external cluster listed in your hardware sig. Did I miss something?

Snelephant

I just mentioned in another post that if someone comes up with the OSX answer to MacDrive7 for the PC, it would be perfect. NTFS-3G works well enough, but it doesn't allow you to use the full speed of your SATA drives. I can write SD material to it with no problems and it captures from my cameras okay, but I doubt if it will be too stable editing HD material.

BJMoose, have you tried 'MacFuse' yet? It was recommened to me from the apple discussion forums:

http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/

NTFS-3G only affects performance when OSX is accessing NTFS drives. It doesn't affect the drive itself. So if your 4 windows drives were NTFS and your 4 OSX drives are HFS+(that's how I have them now), they will be optimized for performance when accessed by their native OS. MacDrive and NTFS-3G are simply tools to help cross-access different OS formatted drives. Convenient but not mandatory.

I'm not an expert on the intricacies of MacFuse and NTFS-3G, but from what I read on the developer's site before he "went out of business" I think his method tricks the OS into seeing your drives as network drives. As such, the max transfer rate is 100mb/s. Before he "went out of business" he mentioned that he was hoping to get it to see the drives as gigabit or 1000mb/s drives. He never got a chance to.

@Hirez: You're right. Most users won't be able to tell the speed difference (not that you really get 300mb/s anyway on SATA). I can edit fine and render in real time to an NTFS drive while using SD assets. High Def may be a different story though. I haven't any calls for HD work and probably won't for quite awhile. I still don't understand what the big deal is for apple to not just go ahead and come up with a solution for writing natively to NTFS. It's like they want to benefit from all the PC users out there but still want them to suffer a little. ;)

Guys line in DOES work with Tarugas AppleHDA Patcher. I have it working with both my macihned. Taruga and other folks have put in alog of effort to map out the ports correctly. Im running both my machines on 10.4.9 and using (if i remember correctly) the 1.15 version and the linuz dump file for my bx2. dont give up guys where there is a will there is a way. good luck.

Guys line in DOES work with Tarugas AppleHDA Patcher. I have it working with both my macihned. Taruga and other folks have put in alog of effort to map out the ports correctly. Im running both my machines on 10.4.9 and using (if i remember correctly) the 1.15 version and the linuz dump file for my bx2. dont give up guys where there is a will there is a way. good luck.

Well, I'm just convinced that we have different revisions of the BA2 or at least the onboard sound. Unless Taruga has come out with a new linux file to install (which one did you use), I've tried every combo of 1.15 and 1.16 with each uphuck flavor and JaS, everywhere from 10.4.8 to 9 to 10. Can't get the mic to work on any input. Maybe it's the mic itself, but I have 5 different stereo and mono mics and none of them were recognized. The window makes it appear as if it's going to be active, but no joy. I'm glad to hear that somebody has it working though.

I do have 2 other PCs with BA2 boards, but haven't felt like messing with them for OSX86. I do know the mic doesn't work just by inserting the drive from my Hackintosh. Could be different if I actually installed it on one of them. Maybe during the next snow storm when I have some more free time.

Bullwinkle,

Pardon me if this has already been answered. Are any of your disk clusters configured for RAID0 using the controller equipped with the Bad Axe? Editing video is one of the few applications that draws substantial benefits from striping.

Without getting off-topic, what is the current status of RAID on OSX86?

I'm not sure if it was in this thread or another, but someone else inquired about RAID. I get flamed everytime I say this but I'm just not and never have been a big fan of RAIDing hard drives. The only hard drive failure I've ever had came while I was experimenting with RAID about 6 years ago and I've never tried again since. Personally, I'm an editor/videographer by trade and since all the hardware/software/technology improvements of the last several years, I've never suffered from lack of speed/space. Perhaps when HD formats really gain a stronghold on the market I'll sing a different tune. So, no...I don't have any drives configured for RAID0.

I just bought my first system which is a quad core monster (hopefully)

I Started building my rig this weekend but I just hit a roadblock when I tried to fit the headsink... it doesn't fit my board. I will go and get a replacement today and hopefully get it working sometime tonight or tomorrow evening. Here's what I got already at home:

Samsung 245BW 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 5ms, 1000:1(DC 3000:1), WUXGA 1920 x 1200

Intel D975XBX2 Motherboard

Intel Q6600 Processor

Ultra Orb Heatsink (Did not fit my mobo)

Corsair 1GB x 4 DDR800

Nvidia 7900GS KO

Pioneer DVR-111D Optical Drive

3 x 500GB Sata Drives

1000 pound case with a bunch of 120mm fans ( I can't remember which one)

Now... two small questions if possible... what heatsink are you guys using for your Bad Axe 2 motherboards?

I will search but does anyone have a direct link or know of any big problems with getting the 7900gs to work? Thanks a million and hopefully next time I post something it will be from my rig.

Cheers!

(Wow it only took 2 years for me to post something... :P )

Take your time putting it together and you will have a rock solid system for both windows and osx86. We have very similar equipment and I just bought 2 of the same Samsung monitors for Costco. You will not be disappointed. I already have a Dell 2407WFP and I like the Samsungs much better. I'll be interested in hearing how it works...especially with the 7900GS which is an upgrade from mine. I'm guessing that with your gfx card and ddr800 ram, it will rock.

Man it's late. I'm done for today, after some work I got sound working just fine, 10.4.9 with 8.10.3 kernel. My Q6600 overclocked to 2.8Ghz very stable. I got xbench score of 229 without the hdd stuff. BJmoose the videocard works perfectly you should get one. I will try raid 0 tomorrow and other tweeks like dualboot and such.

For now... thanks to the whole community and cheers from my hackintosh!

I'll be interested in hearing how it works...especially with the 7900GS which is an upgrade from mine.

may I suggest you an MSI 7900 GTO 512mb (using it right now), easily flashed as 7900 GTX (or Quadro FX 5500 if you like, which use under OSX a better opengl engine). here some info http://www.s155158671.websitehome.co.uk/nv...512cardrom.html

ciao

Davide

may I suggest you an MSI 7900 GTO 512mb (using it right now), easily flashed as 7900 GTX (or Quadro FX 5500 if you like, which use under OSX a better opengl engine). here some info http://www.s155158671.websitehome.co.uk/nv...512cardrom.html

ciao

Davide

Wait i'm a bit confused, since the link does not work. Are you suggestins a 7900GTO but it will be flashed as the 7900GTX and also suggestions the Qudaro FX5500, or will the 7900GTO be flashes at the 7900GTX as well as the Quadro FX5500, that sharing the opengl engine? sorry... :/

Wait i'm a bit confused, since the link does not work. Are you suggestins a 7900GTO but it will be flashed as the 7900GTX and also suggestions the Qudaro FX5500, or will the 7900GTO be flashes at the 7900GTX as well as the Quadro FX5500, that sharing the opengl engine? sorry... :/

fixed link.

Man it's late. I'm done for today, after some work I got sound working just fine, 10.4.9 with 8.10.3 kernel. My Q6600 overclocked to 2.8Ghz very stable. I got xbench score of 229 without the hdd stuff. BJmoose the videocard works perfectly you should get one. I will try raid 0 tomorrow and other tweeks like dualboot and such.

For now... thanks to the whole community and cheers from my hackintosh!

Have you tested it with dual dvi to dvi connections yet? I'm looking for a card that doesn't need to use a dvi/vga converter for one of the connections like my 7600GS does. The card works great, but I'm into the fine-tuning stages of perfecting my system now and don't want to have to use converters. Thanks.