I came, I saw... I'm probably going back to Tiger

24 posts in this topic

we first off I know it's a BETA (so don't jump me)

secondly even as a BETA all parts in it (software included) should at least work... I'm talking about Mail

Mail is an intricate part of OS X and it's not functional, at all.

now a review for the other features:

Spaces Not something I'll probably use. I have 2 nice 21" monitors running at 2048x1536 each, I have all the screen space i need, but i can see myself loving them in i was on a laptop or an imac

Dock & Menu Bar not as ugly as I'd imagined they'd be, but still not beautiful, the menubar preatty much lightens and blurs the image underneath, to my surprise looked better with really dark images than lighter ones. The dock being turned into a shelf, turn me off of it. It really just got a "vista treatment" with reflection and a 3D look, nothing grand but these things allows apple to call it new

Stacks Like most of the dock, just kinda a silly thing to add to call it new, the same ability could be achieved buy putting a folder in the dock

Quickview and Coverflow Two things i can actually RAVE about, quickview makes life easier, and faster. as with coverflow, i have Tons of photos from photoshoots i've done and flipping through them is a breeze

Time Machine I can't say anything about this at the time due to not haveing a free USB drive. (can't see how have a USB drive dangling from your laptop 24/7 would be fun)

iChat iChat is still well iChat, nothing i could really test out due to Leopard not supporting my webcam (but from my experiance most mac users i know use adium)

Safari safari for the most part is the same as the beta for tiger, other than PDF viewing

Pretty much this is for the people that don't care about the back-end stuff of leopard. if there's anything anyone would like me to review on, let me know

we first off I know it's a BETA (so don't jump me)

secondly even as a BETA all parts in it (software included) should at least work... I'm talking about Mail

Mail is an intricate part of OS X and it's not functional, at all.

now a review for the other features:

Spaces Not something I'll probably use. I have 2 nice 21" monitors running at 2048x1536 each, I have all the screen space i need, but i can see myself loving them in i was on a laptop or an imac

Dock & Menu Bar not as ugly as I'd imagined they'd be, but still not beautiful, the menubar preatty much lightens and blurs the image underneath, to my surprise looked better with really dark images than lighter ones. The dock being turned into a shelf, turn me off of it. It really just got a "vista treatment" with reflection and a 3D look, nothing grand but these things allows apple to call it new

Stacks Like most of the dock, just kinda a silly thing to add to call it new, the same ability could be achieved buy putting a folder in the dock

Quickview and Coverflow Two things i can actually RAVE about, quickview makes life easier, and faster. as with coverflow, i have Tons of photos from photoshoots i've done and flipping through them is a breeze

Time Machine I can't say anything about this at the time due to not haveing a free USB drive. (can't see how have a USB drive dangling from your laptop 24/7 would be fun)

iChat iChat is still well iChat, nothing i could really test out due to Leopard not supporting my webcam (but from my experiance most mac users i know use adium)

Safari safari for the most part is the same as the beta for tiger, other than PDF viewing

Pretty much this is for the people that don't care about the back-end stuff of leopard. if there's anything anyone would like me to review on, let me know

Spaces may not be aimed at you, but on my laptop it's quite nice.

The dock and the menu bar don't cause any issues, and the reflection of the dock has some "Wow!" in it.

Stacks are kinda nice, but I wish I had a way to turn them off selectively.

Quickview and Coverflow are designed especially for you. Unfortunately I'm no photographer or artistic type, but at least it makes browsing my pr0n library faster.

Time Machine is AMAZINGLY cool. I've already used it and I love the idea. You can also use a second partition for it, so don't think it has to be an external drive.

iChat.. I'd consider using it over Adium now. But I'm still using Adium. I like how I have Adium looking. But maybe once my friend gets Leopard we'll use iChat to talk as we WoW.

Safari.. displayed getfirefox.com fairly well. Other than that, I dunno.

Mail works 100% for me. Originally I had an issue where it would just slowly stop working a little bit more after every time I launched it, but I've fixed that issue.

Mail works fine for me. I have yet to try Time Machine. However, I still can't get iChat video chat to work, which is irking me, as it's something I use on a daily basis. It's definitely not final. I hate the new dock, don't particularly care for the menu bar, and booting into Tiger makes me more happy than the first time I unpacked my shiny new MacBook Pro to replace my aging PowerBook. Leopard has a ways to go yet. I know I'm going to miss Tiger's UI, but I'm definitely digging the new unified, darker-metal look.

Other than that, not much to say. I really like Stacks and Spaces. The new Finder is useful as well. A welcome upgrade, I love it.

Spaces may not be aimed at you, but on my laptop it's quite nice.

I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head here, Virtual Desktop are very useful when your screen is not big enough to hold many windows, or if you want to be organized to the limit I guess.

The dock and the menu bar don't cause any issues, and the reflection of the dock has some "Wow!" in it.

Yep, niceties. I'm impressed the reflection doesn't hog any CPU at all while the magnification does 40-70 (at least on my iMac) - but I'm confident it's a beta issue.

Stacks are kinda nice, but I wish I had a way to turn them off selectively.

Yeah me too, perhaps even singularly... so you can keep some folders on the dock as a link or classic dock menu and some as stacks.

Also, stacks on the desktop won't hurt.

Quickview and Coverflow are designed especially for you. Unfortunately I'm no photographer or artistic type, but at least it makes browsing my pr0n library faster.

Aah, I use iPhoto for "that" so it's no particular use of me :lol:

But it's kinda practical to find a picture I'm looking for in the middle of spotlight search results for example, as well as well as having a glance at recently downloaded pictures.

Time Machine is AMAZINGLY cool. I've already used it and I love the idea. You can also use a second partition for it, so don't think it has to be an external drive.

For some reason Time Machine went crazy in this build on my machine, it started backing up every hour and clogged my external hard drive.

iChat.. I'd consider using it over Adium now. But I'm still using Adium. I like how I have Adium looking. But maybe once my friend gets Leopard we'll use iChat to talk as we WoW.

I used to use Adium to talk over different networks, I like iChat better for AIM.

I use video chat so frequently now that I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather just use iChat. It's tight OS integration is absolutely awesome; if my friends on other networks want to chat with me, they can spend the effort and get an AIM account. Haha.

I've had problems with networking. I take my laptop from home to work. I'm connected to our network over ethernet, at home I'm on wireless. So on 10.4 I could just switch, from home to work in my network options. Now I have to run network assistant/diagnostics when ever I switch so it detects it. What a pain in the ass..

Mail seems to work fine.

Emptying the trash bogs my system for a while... I don't know why.

Spaces is kind of cool. I've been running windows in one space, and my mac desktop on the other. Its cool, but coherence on parallels worked fine.. I don't need 2 desktops... not to mention it RELLY slows down my machine.

I'm really not a big fan of the dock.. it seems pretty cool.. but I think it needs to be improved. Something doesn't look right.

Quick look rocks.. I'm in finance, and I have to look at a couple things quick on a PDF, and I can pop it open in a snap.

Finder - the cover view really isn't that cool.. its not needed at all.

--

Over all there was WAY over hyped. Its not that great. It runs pretty good, and they fixed some problems. Mail send messages that come through with out any random characters to my microsoft co-workers... so thats a plus.. but besides that.. I could care less. I'll run it, but I'm not impressed.

and BTW.. someone needs to change the damn folders. They are so ugly!

I've had problems with networking. I take my laptop from home to work. I'm connected to our network over ethernet, at home I'm on wireless. So on 10.4 I could just switch, from home to work in my network options. Now I have to run network assistant/diagnostics when ever I switch so it detects it. What a pain in the ass..

Hmm...

Network -> Location -> Edit Locations...

Works for me.

I was having problems with Mail hanging. I deleted and reinstalled it hoping that it would fix the problem (it didn't). I actually downloaded Thunderbird and I was looking for it in my applications folder so that I could add it to the dock, opened Mail from there and it's been working perfectly ever since. Now I just have to figure out why MS Word keeps crashing when I try to make a new document...

So far I'm very happy, the whole OS feels faster and the new Finder rocks!

I just backed up my Leopard install with SuperDuper! and I'm going back to Tiger full time, for now at least. I really hope the final release of Leopard has the option to use a "classic" (Tiger) OS X interface, sans the Tiger window look. I'm not a fan of the dock and menu bar, they add no functionality, and Tiger looks a lot better. Asking for such functionality is probably a stretch; but I can't really see myself becoming an early adopter at this point.

This is very disapointing. To me it looks liek job spent all his time and money on the iphone, which don;t get me wrong, is decently impressive but i'll never be able to afford such a useless piece of equipment. He was full of {censored} with his "Secret Features", his new features are so minute that they cannot be called featured. This build looks and runs like ti was put together a week before the WWDC, which i understand for a beta, but would adding transparency on one bar, a new looking dock, and a few new programs affect an OS that much. Like common, i know there are many internal modifications i probably don;t know about, but its pathetic and even completely unstable with its own software. I was epecting a lot from this software and usually apple doesn;t disapoint, but this is pathetic, stupid iphone ruined it imo

Just a quick point: it's definitely not necessary for Mail to work on an OS that is strictly to test and develop your applications.

It's necessary when it's an essential part of the operating system and included in the "features"

plus ALOT of developers make addons and apps for Mail, and if it doesn't work natively than how is gonna be an effective app to develop for

Here comes another tiger-switch-back. Managed to install leopard last nite, then found it is far to buggy, e.g. wireless doesn't work though singal is at its full strength, 3d dock is ugly. I have to say that leopard is fast, however, i am wondering if Jobs can deliver the GM by the end of October. One more thing, I hate most of the new features, 3d dock, time machine, spaces, stacks. They are useless!!

a few visual updates, a much needed smb/netbios browsing update, along with a few minor app updates that imo were handled much better by add-on software....hardly enough to call it in an entirely new OS. When is apple going to put a leash on their marketing department?

I would still gladly pay for leopard on release day if they somehow worked zfs back into it (r,rw).

a few visual updates, a much needed smb/netbios browsing update, along with a few minor app updates that imo were handled much better by add-on software....hardly enough to call it in an entirely new OS. When is apple going to put a leash on their marketing department?

I would still gladly pay for leopard on release day if they somehow worked zfs back into it (r,rw).

Hmmmm, what i don't understand ..... how dissimilar is this 'hype' from Microsoft touting Vista ?? And we all know how 10 yrs of development delivered VERY LITTLE improvement ..

And .... each 'UPDATE' (yes, remember OSX is one version of an OS ... each incremental step is essential an update, not an overhaul) has delivered proportional improvements/enhancements - feature additions ....

As for the marketing, Apple's agenda is entirely different than it was 3 years ago ... they are aggressively going after switcher ... showcasing the visual integration of their OS experience to that of their devices (AppleTV, iPhone, iPod (via iTunes) .... there is more to this than face value perceptions.

Stable as a rock. Mail configured all my accounts automatically, internet (via cable) "just works", no need to configure anything. The new Finder is fantastic, it's fast, love quicklook. The dock is smooth, magnification at max causes no slowdowns or choppiness.

Safari looks great and is fast as lightning.

Overall, I have no complaints. I'm quite surprised at how stable and fast it is, and it's still only a beta. This is not a review, just some of my impressions in light of my machine specs.

Well worth the download and legwork.

Download instructions:

(prepare to do a clean install.)

Assuming you want to wipe your drive and use Leopard as your main OS - I am, and I'm impressed . . .

1) Back up your data to DVD or to an external drive

2) Run out to Best Buy or wherever and grab one or two *dual layer* DVDs (don't be cheap, do it right.)

3) When the Leopard dmg finishes downloading, click on it, select "get info" and lock it.

4.) Open disk utility and select the Leopard .dmg, and burn it to your dual layer dvd.

5.) When finished, double click the installation icon on the dvd and the machine will restart. Hold down *option*, select the Leopard DVD.

6.) Once you get to the point where you must select the location in which to install Leopard, and nothing shows up, go to the menu bar and access disk utility. Erase your drive. Now the drive should appear in the box. Select it, install, follow the onscreen prompts, and enjoy!

My specs:

imac core duo 1.83ghz

1gb RAM

Radeon X-1600 128mb video