Installing Leopard

MacVertigo

68 posts in this topic

Ok.. So I have leopard. And I don't have a DL dvd burner, or a ipod. So how the he** do I install? I've tried to install from a firewire connected external HD. and it just resets my computer then nothing happens. So how are you installing it?

Here's what I did for a previous version.

I attached a Fiirewire external hard disk, and used diskutility to parition it into 2 partitions, one partition was 10gig (I labeled this Install), and the second was the remainder of the drive (I labeled this Leopard). Make sure you check options and ensure that for Intel Macs it is set to GUID Partition Map, for PPC Mac set to Apple Partition Map. Then partition the drive and format to Mac OSX Extended (Journaled).

Then restore the DMG to the 10gig partition, using diskutility.

Boot from the 10gig partition (Install partition), by rebooting your machine while holding the Option key down.

The Installer should start, install to the second (Leopard) partition that you created on the external hard drive.

When finished, reboot, hold down the option key to boot from the second (Leopard) partition.

Hope that helps.

I couldn't get it to read the disc once I burned it.. so I'm doing it this way:

Okay step by step

1. Download the dmg (I'm going to call it leopard.dmg)

2. Plug in your external harddrive (I'm going to call it newdrive)

3. Open up Disk Utility

4. Click on newdrive

5. You'll see "First Aid, Erase, Partition, RAID, Restore

6. Click on restore

7. You'll see two fields Source: and Destination:

8. For Source: select leopard.dmg from wherever it is on your harddrive

9. For Destination: drag newdrive from the Disk Utility drive list

10. Click on restore (It might take a while if you're using USB... maybe a few hours, just let it go)

11. Leave this new harddrive with leopard attached to your computer

12. Open System Preferences

13. Click on Startup Disk

14. Select newdrive with the Leopard Install

15. Restart the computer

16. Leopard install begins

17. Install it where ever you want.

When I installed it I wiped my main harddrive because I wanted to have nothing on it to interfere.... this is a beta after all. I backed up all my stuff and I'd suggest you do the same.

Since I have no external drives, I decided to burn the .dmg in a DL DVD. But, tried both on an iBook and a MacBook Pro, my dvd won't boot. I burnt the image with Toast but at boot my dvd simply isn't recognized, but then mounted correctly in finder as Tiger starts again. Someone has a clue, please??

Your disk image might have become corrupted. I've heard that if you mount it in OS X without locking it first, it is rendered unbootable. You can try putting the file back into your torrent downloads directory and repair it using the torrent. Your torrent app should double-check the existing content and download new bytes if deemed necessary.

Your disk image might have become corrupted. I've heard that if you mount it in OS X without locking it first, it is rendered unbootable. You can try putting the file back into your torrent downloads directory and repair it using the torrent. Your torrent app should double-check the existing content and download new bytes if deemed necessary.

That happens to .cdr which are read/write.

.dmgs are read only so it doesn't apply to them.

Allright, this is what I did today:

Full Leopard image (6 GB one from bay - look for "the new big cat" there :-) ).

1. DMG mounted, verified.

2. DMG restored to iPod Nano 8GB;

3. MacBook Pro (15.4" version 2.2, Core 2 Duo) booted from iPod;

4. Existing FAT32 (BootCamp) partition was used (to test Leopard) as target of installation;

5. System went stable after 3 reboots (Spotlight?);

6. Tested, worked well;

7. iPod boot, install Leopard to main JFS+ partition (re-formatting it);

8. Again 3 reboots;

9. Works like a charm!

Currently preparing one more MacBook Pro and Mac Mini for an upgrade. :)

P.S. Step 2 (DMG to iPod) took like 1.5 hours or so. Installer boot (USB) was taking around 1 minute.