Installing Leopard

MacVertigo

68 posts in this topic

Hi, thanks to your advice, I managed to install L. successfully on an external USB drive, plugged to main PB 12" (=PPC).

BUT the PB's display is broken and I am forced to use an external display. No problem so far, except that you can't boot on a USB drive except by invoking the "select OS" screen at startup with the "option" key.

The problem is : since my display is broken and the OS does not manage any external display at this time, I don't know which OS I am choosing...

The question : could anyone (preferably on a PPC mac) boot with the option key down, and confirm that "tab" allows to cycle through the different installs? And that the drives are listed in an alphabetical order? And if a "tab" keystroke gets to the next disk or you have to press it more?

Thank you *very much*

@the person who said it only went to 22 minutes: Yeah same thing happened to mine, but it said it couldn't find the essential package...It was so perfect looking too! 6 gigs! We wasted 5$ on the freaking DL disk too....

SOMEONE HELP

or in latin, ferte auxiluim.

My 700 mhz iMac has dual-layer burner.

So I've prepared the dual layer disc. When I try to install after I choose English language I get - "cannot install on this computer". I am assuming this is because it's not 800 mhz or higher.

But that seems sort of silly - difference between 800 & 700.

So, what I want to know is if removing X-Code will do the trick, not because of the size of a dual layer disc to save space (which isn't really the issue) or will do the trick because there is a file or command in XCode that prevents the install on any computer with a processor speed less than 800 mhz.

I would really hate to waste another dual layer disc.

Thanks....

• Like 1

My 700 mhz iMac has dual-layer burner.

So I've prepared the dual layer disc. When I try to install after I choose English language I get - "cannot install on this computer". I am assuming this is because it's not 800 mhz or higher.

But that seems sort of silly - difference between 800 & 700.

So, what I want to know is if removing X-Code will do the trick, not because of the size of a dual layer disc to save space (which isn't really the issue) or will do the trick because there is a file or command in XCode that prevents the install on any computer with a processor speed less than 800 mhz.

I would really hate to waste another dual layer disc.

Thanks....

Dunno if removing xcode will do the trick, but you can also edit the destribition file within osinstall.mpkg to allow installation on <800mhz proc.You'll need xar though.

Dunno if removing xcode will do the trick, but you can also edit the destribition file within osinstall.mpkg to allow installation on <800mhz proc.You'll need xar though.

You need to do more reading of this forum ;-)

Removing xcode is to make the file small enough to fit on a regular DVD . The osinstall.mpkg file has to be hacked to remove the G4 800MHZ or higher limit. There are links to this file here if you look and read also other tricks.

You need to do more reading of this forum ;-)

Removing xcode is to make the file small enough to fit on a regular DVD . The osinstall.mpkg file has to be hacked to remove the G4 800MHZ or higher limit. There are links to this file here if you look and read also other tricks.

I meant it sarcastic, ofcourse removing xcode won't do the trick since the checks are in the osinstall.mpkg as you all know.

Ah, yes. I have been snooping around, and there was a thread yesterday that suggested what I wanted to do, but I can't find it. I sort of get lost in the other explanations of how one might do it. I'm reading threads though...thanks for your help.

I tried on my 533 mHz dual G4 but I don't have a quartz extreme/core image video card. Does anyone know if Leopard has video card requirments? 533 mHz dual = 1066 mHz > 750 mhz is that a new restriction also, where I need at least one processor greater than (i forget what it was) 750 mhz? or something?

I tried on my 533 mHz dual G4 but I don't have a quartz extreme/core image video card. Does anyone know if Leopard has video card requirments? 533 mHz dual = 1066 mHz > 750 mhz is that a new restriction also, where I need at least one processor greater than (i forget what it was) 750 mhz? or something?

I thought the G4 Duals came in 450Mhz and 500Mhz, not 533MHZ. Is that with an upgrade card?

After hacking the OSInstall.mpkg I installed it on my Dual 500Mhz. (Apparently the dual doesn't count as >800Mhz)

I do have a modified PC Radeon 9500 Pro that does support QE and CI but I still found it to be slower than Tiger by a fair margin.

• 3 months later...

hey, so I restored the image to my external HD on a new petition i named leopard.

I restart, startup using Leopard, the partition, and everything seems fine, except when I click install, my main HD doesn't show up, only the external "Leopard" i have plugged in. I want to upgrade my existing Tiger, how do I do this? am i doing something wrong? Thanks for the advice.