computer part store

Soündless

11 posts in this topic

for some reason, my parrents don't trust me buying my computer parts over the internet. they want me to buy them in a store that has smart employees who can tell me if everything is compatible. are there any stores that would have the variety of newegg?

If you have a Fry's electronics, then I would go there. Otherwise you're pretty much out of luck, as most retail stores have one thing in mind: ripping you off. Also, you might consider telling your parents to get the 16th century stick out of their butts =D

I have to agree with that. Fry's is the only place you can buy stuff at near internet prices and they have staff that tends to know about what is on their shelves.

I cant speak for Fry's but I know that Bestbuy has a very limited selection and while the prices arent that bad (unless you want the Geeksquad to do something for you, but why not do it yourself??) you might as well buy online. And seriously, if its your money why the hell do your parents care?

That's a HUGE assumption that people in computer parts store are any more knowledgeable.

I know 2 guys that miserably failed their A+ computers certifications that work in these type stores.

(If you don't know what A+ cert, it is the most basic of all computer certification you can get.)

Always research on the Net. Some reviews are wrong or off base, but if your read enough you will get the real information and recommendations you need.

Just show her this page: http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Business...panyID=13146135

NewEgg has a AA rating with the Better Business Bureau, which is just about as high as they come. So you can't talk to them face to face. If you do have a problem with what you buy, NewEgg always handles it well. I couldn't find a rating for BestBuy, Fry's or CompUSA (for some reason, they all said no report was available because they were being updated).

Fry's is really nice, though they don't always have exactly what you are looking for. Prices are about the same when you add up shipping and tax. If you already know what parts your looking for and you know they'll work together, just buy them on newegg. I've made five purchases there (expensive purchases) and not once have I had a problem with the parts or newegg itself.

Just show her this page: http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Business...panyID=13146135

NewEgg has a AA rating with the Better Business Bureau, which is just about as high as they come. So you can't talk to them face to face. If you do have a problem with what you buy, NewEgg always handles it well. I couldn't find a rating for BestBuy, Fry's or CompUSA (for some reason, they all said no report was available because they were being updated).

I've heard good things about NewEgg but haven't used it myself.

I don't but too much stock in those kinds of ratings unless they are bad.

If they are bad, people have made the effort to report it, in situations where customers are given bad info, they don't know that and assume its true and hence the stores rating is not effected.

I can't count the number the times I've been in my local Future Shop (Best Buy), and listened to the employee just give completely wrong information to consumers, especially Macintosh related information.

From my experience most of those type stores are more interested in selling not solving solutions anyways.

Research is always the key. Why listen to one person, (whether it be an employee or even me in a forum), when you can get information from hundreds?

I work at a Best Buy, unless you catch the stuff on sale, we're gonna bend you over and rape you.

Seriously, some of the margins on this stuff is insane.

Espically the Dynex stuff.

For instance, Radeon X1950 Pro AGP card, 232 for employees, 299 for everyone else.

Antec 900 Case - 90 for employees, 159 for everyone else.

Employees get everything at cost +5%.

Know a buddy that works there? ;)