New video of VMWare Fusion; quite impressive.

33 posts in this topic

cool video. I like the fact that you can even expose the Windows apps alongside OS X in unity mode. I know Parallels has a similar mode to unity that allows both Windows and OS X to coexist in a single desktop....but I'm not sure if it could do expose.

This seems to be far more advanced than Coherence. With Unity, the Windows apps have window shadows, dock icons, and they dont have the redraw problem when you move their window around. I can't wait to get my hands on this VMware build. :mellow:

One question though....can it take advantage and load from the bootcamp partition (like what parallels can do) , or do I have to create 2 seperate installs? (which would suck in terms of HD space)

One question though....can it take advantage and load from the bootcamp partition (like what parallels can do) , or do I have to create 2 seperate installs? (which would suck in terms of HD space)
I can't remember where exactly that I read it but I remember reading that yes, it now can, last night when I was looking at the video and related things.

The competition between Parallels and this is going to be good.

Well, Parallels 3.0 has just been released. We'll have to see if it's up to the same level as VMWare Fusion. However, I must say, that is really pretty impressive. :gun:

- Sb.

This looks impressive. Especially since the free trial keys Parallels is sending out don't work with 3.0. :D I think I'll be trying this, especially since Fusion is the only VM software I've been able to get Kubuntu running in.

When's this being released? Or is it already out?

I just don't get why most of the time (though it worked for a while) the BootCamp option in Parallels is greyed out for me! The custom partition option didn't ever work for me - this is annoying!

What is also disappointing is the fact that as a registered Parallels user I have to pay for the upgrade - I really dislike the idea of paying for software updates every six months!

Two things jump out at me from that video that are heaps better than Parallel's implementation:

1) Start Menu in the Toolbar.

2) Skip to 3:03 in the video - being able to launch windows apps from the dock when they aren't running.

Has the illusion of Windows apps truely running inside OS X

I don't see why not.

Well i downloaded it and installed it the only problem is...the freakin key on the site WONT WORK....@_@...anyone help?

Well i downloaded it and installed it the only problem is...the freakin key on the site WONT WORK....@_@...anyone help?

someone PLEASE download the free beta and try the supplied serial!!!! it didnt work for me....im dyin to try this!!!

beta 4? when did u download it? and another question...when u installed did it say u needed to restart your computer? do u have 10.4.8 or 9??

Downloaded it a few hours ago.

I have 10.4.9, the supplied serial worked for me and the installer didn't asked for restart.

Downloaded it a few hours ago.

I have 10.4.9, the supplied serial worked for me and the installer didn't asked for restart.

{censored} it must be beacuse i have 10.4.8...is the upgrade to 9 hard? (hackintosh wise)

{censored} it must be beacuse i have 10.4.8...is the upgrade to 9 hard? (hackintosh wise)

I don't know, I installed 10.4.9 from the DVD. Didn't wanted to "play" with the command line :rolleyes:

But why wouldn't it work on .4.8? :rolleyes: