LogMeIn Now Available for Mac!

19 posts in this topic

Yes... if you read the hyperlink that "BondDotCom" provided it clearly states pc to mac and also mac to mac... this is great news and i shall def be using this product even if its just to tranfer files quickly.

I use this already to service a wide park of pcs, really happy to see it on mac too, that makes it a whole lot more useful to me.. My main problem with it so far has been the lack of a dedicated firefox addon for logmein on the mac, This would seem to indicate that one is more likely to be forthcoming :P

Yup I just tried it again.. trying to control another machine causes firefox/mac intel to crash for me. anyone got a working mac-to-pc or mac-to-mac control yet?

How about software that enables the following remote control and file transfer:

PC to PC

PC to Mac

Mac to Mac

Mac to PC

It's called Timbuktu by Netopia. Runs GREAT. When going windows to windows or mac to mac, it supports dual screens (either showing both or allowing you to pick which screen to view). Nice and quick for remote control. File transfer works great. All that is missing is a Sync functionality to remotely sync desktops. You can even use SSH for an extra added level of security.

Runs about $150 but serialz are quite easy to find. Here is a link to the product.

How about software that enables the following remote control and file transfer:

PC to PC

PC to Mac

Mac to Mac

Mac to PC

It's called Timbuktu by Netopia. Runs GREAT. When going windows to windows or mac to mac, it supports dual screens (either showing both or allowing you to pick which screen to view). Nice and quick for remote control. File transfer works great. All that is missing is a Sync functionality to remotely sync desktops. You can even use SSH for an extra added level of security.

Runs about $150 but serialz are quite easy to find. Here is a link to the product.

I've used Timbuktu, and just about every solution out there.. apart from timbuktu's habit of leaving ppc processes running in the background & other things that contributed to it's incompatibility with *my* machine, at least, I've gone for other solutions.

TSClientX is worthy of note as a RDP client for mac, the pc-to-mac bit is a toss up between VLC & timbuktu, and now logmein.

The advantage (and potential weakness) of logmein is that it uses a 3rd point server to negotiate connections, thus making it very easy to connect to users regardless of where they are logged in from. in other words you don't need an IP address to be able to connect, and firewalls are rarely an issue.

You could also use Hamachi in combination with Remote Desktop Connection from Microsoft (freeware) for controlling PCs and ARD for your Macs. Don't rely on the GUI version of Hamachi for OSX though, I haven't had much luck with it. Running it through Terminal works flawlessly. You can create a network of I believe up to 15 computers for free. As an aside, logmein purchased Hamachi last year but I don't know if it is now the basis of their setup.

Hi Hagar:

I use VNC for my Windows and Mac machines at work and at home. The program works great over LAN. Over the internet, I have to make an allowance in Firewall to work properly. For Windows, I use RealVNC. For Mac, I use VINE Server and Chicken of the VNC.

Since LogMeIn uses 3rd point server, this would be an advantage over VNC. I imagine there would be less issues with the firewall.

--danyel :D

Does this controls the current session(like VNC or ARD) or is like terminal services where you can log-in on the same computer n users?

Current session. And you have the option of disabling screen/input on the host while you control it.

Well, I-m typing this on osx via logmein from a p3/500 connected over a public wireless network.. slightly slow & buggy, but seems to work fine :D

edit: it appears it has some issues with setting screen sizes that may need fixing.. generally impressed, though...

I've been using it since it came out for PC's to support my corporate networks, and I'm glad to see they finally got it launched for macs! I will admit though, that it is in dire need of some tweaking for speed issues, and an issue with email addresses/passwords that use special symbols, but I'm sure they will eventually get that issue resolved. At least I can finally bridge all my remote clients (pc's and mac's) together!!!! :o

• 2 weeks later...