Are you religious?

55 posts in this topic

i try to respect others religous views o others, but when someone insults me based on my lack of belief in supernatural stuff, then i can go on rants about how mine is better

i don't wonder anymore about if there is a god or not

i have been asking myself if this would make a difference to me an my life, and it doesn't, so i just don't care about it anymore.

The ignorance of this statement is sincerely, utterly astounding.

Apparently people as a generality are just stupid. It's very sad when the genuine Agnostic-Atheists have to put up with these types of statements that are so laughingly thickheaded.

People- use your brains. They are important organs.

-3nigma

Note: This comment does not include intelligent people, of which there are few genuine ones on this forum.

it's worse when peoples do flames for those matters....

I'm not flaming anyone for their personal beliefs. I'm saying how foolish it is to profess atheism, and then in the same sentence to say that if it turned out that there was indeed a God of the universe, and it became universally known, that someone would do nothing about it. That is what is so ignorant.

I'm trying to think of a metaphor for how stupid this is. The only thing that came to mind is it's almost as if you won the lottery and instantly had 150 million dollars in your bank account, and then did nothing. Sure, you could do nothing. I'm not saying you couldn't. But it is seriously just retarded.

Sure, you could use the argument "I enjoy my life as it is, I don't need the money." And, "I am fulfilled with everything as it is, anyway." And that even can all be TRUE. But you would still have a million uses for each MILLION dollars that could change EVERY FACET about your life, and the lives of others. It wouldn't even have to be all about you, you could donate the funds to Africa. You could donate the funds even to the poor in America, for goodness sakes.

If I came on here and said I wont the lottery a couple years back, and had 150 million in my account, and didn't do anything about it, people would be in an uproar. I'd get messages up and down, left and right, telling me how stupid and self-centered it is, even if I don't personally need or want the money. You could do something.

I don't know if it's necessarily the best metaphor, but it's the only thing that comes to mind. To make a statement like the previous poster is grossly uneducated. And I think I reflect the sentiments of every intellectual on this forum, atheist or Christian, when I say that our common goal is to make people educated, and stop walking around in ignorance.

If it became officially known that there was indeed a God, then everyone is forced with the fact that he's real. And just for conversation's sake, lets assume that the God in question is the God described in the Torah and Bible (and similarly in the Quran, although Hebrews and Jesus-followers would contend with the Quran in its entirety). That would mean that there is a heaven and a hell, an eternal afterlife, and our decisions in life have incredibly deep and long-lasting implications.

If all of this is true, and one takes the stand, "Meh, I'll go on with life as normal," then they are incredibly foolish. I'm not saying that it's not an option. Your life may already be filled with happiness, and you may already be fulfilled in your pursuits. But if a God is real and he insists on following him as a requirement for eternal life, then who cares how happy your life is, you're screwed in the end.

And finally, you could take the rebellious attitude of "There's this great big God and he forces me to worship him to get into heaven, well that's bullcrap. I'm going to just do the opposite and say screw him." Well, you could do that, but congratulations, your just going to a crappy eternity in a crappy place. Was it worth it? (Presupposing that God is real).

There are two important things that come to the surface when considering this question. The first is how mature you are in your intellect. The second is how self-centered you are. Not in a traditional "selfish" way, but rather how much you are able to think outside of your own little bubble.

Okay, so there's this big God. If you're not mature and you're still at the center of your own universe, this cramps your style. You don't want to change your life, and it sucks. But if you're an intelligent person, and you can realize that the universe is a lot bigger than you, then you can understand that there is a grander picture at stake here. The world doesn't revolve around me and what I want. And apparently there's this big God all of a sudden. At the very least, I want to understand more about this God and what the story is. When you take the time to understand what the story is, with genuine curiosity that this God is real (or in our real-life case, potentially real), then the story becomes this amazing poetic narrative about the God of the universe reaching out to humanity, which is constantly in a state of this same self-centeredness. It's amazing that a God so big and with so many bigger and better things to do would step out and try and establish communication with humanity, not even to mention have a deep and intimate relationship with individual people. God is just as potentially real as he is potentially not real- literally. So whether or not it cramps your style, it is worth your time to take the time to find out.

Many "atheists" have never taken the time to sincerely ponder the question. I am sad for the genuine atheists who have to put up with the pseudo-intellectuals surrounding them that claim to be atheists. These people are just as stupid as the Christians who are Bible-thumpers and never use their brains. These "atheists" parade around a flag of intellectualism, when they are themselves guilty of never actually doing the homework and research. I know for a fact that all of the atheists I know in my life have never read the Bible, only heard the occasional verse or snippet. People just know Christians who are hypocrites, or mistakenly think that science and faith are in contention with one another, so they eliminate the Bible as an option. (Both atheists and Christians mistakenly believe this about Christianity, that faith and science are in conflict. To clarify: In atheism, faith is in conflict with science. In Christianity, science is not in conflict with faith. People simply mistakenly believe this.)

If you are sincere in your pursuit to find truth, and you are of maturity and intelligence in the manner in which you approach life and this topic, you need to take the time to figure these things out. It's not enough to just shoot from the hip off of assumptions, and the way you think life is.

Take the time. Respect your brain (and potentially your eternal soul) enough entertain the question. Because as any genuine, true atheist will tell you- God is just as potentially real as he is potentially not real. Make an educated decision.

It may help to stop referring to it as "Christian" or "Christianity." I shy away from the terminology in these social circles, because of the connotations: The Crusades, the Religious Right, Fundamentalism, you name it. If I say the word "Christian," these are the subconscious (or very conscious) connotations that come to mind (in this social sphere). It may help to think of it more as a study and following of Jesus.

Whether you believe it or not, it doesn't matter. To make the statement "I would do nothing" is certainly a possibility, but it is entirely stupid in every way that you can possibly look at it.

-3nigma

[snip]People- use your brains. They are important organs.

-3nigma

Note: This comment does not include intelligent people, of which there are few genuine ones on this forum.

whatever, it is a flame,

anyways, where are the facts you're talking about? there are facts of the existence of a man called jesus, noone can be sure there is a god somewhere, thats' why someone believes someone doesn't, that's why it's called faith.

so don't call stupid someone just because one has different views than yours

edit: sorry if i sounded too cynical, but imho, faith and facts are different things

so don't call stupid someone just because one has different views than yours

Did you even read my post, or stop reading after the first sentence?

The original poster did not even offer an alternative set of beliefs to flame against. The poster did not even offer what they believe. The poster simply stated "If God's real, it doesn't matter." That is what I address. Unless, of course, you are suggesting that ignorance is an acceptable way of life, in which case I am guilty. I address ignorance in all forms, whether from an atheist or even a Christian. "What?!" you say? "You even do it to other, fellow Christians?!" Why of course!

If a Christian says "Well, I just believe what the Bible teaches me, and that's good enough for me." I tell them to grow up and use their God-given brain. They are just as ignorant of the pseudo-intellectual atheists. However, I am willing to bet that if I were attacking a Christian on this forum for being simple-minded, I wouldn't get scolded as a flamer, now would I? ;)

My post is a very very long one, so it took me a little time to write, with small edits and revisions in the few minutes following my posting it. Please take the time to actually read the post.

anyways, where are the facts you're talking about?

Are we even having the same conversation? I am certain that you didn't read my post. I never once uttered the word "facts" throughout my post. You are a textbook example of what my post addresses.

imho, faith and facts are different things

I also believe that faith and facts are different things, I don't think anyone suggested otherwise, or ever would. You know what the sad thing is? I think you actually did read my post. But I think you read it as a Christian talking, so you heard "blah blah blah, God is real, blah blah blah, atheism." You are shooting from the hip off of your assumptions, and the way you think it is.

I rest my case. :)

-3nigma

"Whether you believe it or not, it doesn't matter. To make the statement "I would do nothing" it's certainly a possibility, but it is entirely stupid in every way that you can possibly look at it." -3nigma

I agree with 100% of what you said. Even Socrates (who was believed to be Atheist) said, "There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." Eject, by disregarding the subject because you do not care for it is completely ignorant.

i am a complete atheist, i dont belive that there is fate or anything of that matter. if u act like an ass the only thing that is gonna happen is that u r gonna be treated like as ass. not because of kharma or anything, you=mean, other people treat u=mean

I'm not flaming anyone for their personal beliefs. I'm saying how foolish it is to profess atheism, and then in the same sentence to say that if it turned out that there was indeed a God of the universe, and it became universally known, that someone would do nothing about it. That is what is so ignorant.

I'm trying to think of a metaphor for how stupid this is. The only thing that came to mind is it's almost as if you won the lottery and instantly had 150 million dollars in your bank account, and then did nothing. Sure, you could do nothing. I'm not saying you couldn't. But it is seriously just retarded.

Sure, you could use the argument "I enjoy my life as it is, I don't need the money." And, "I am fulfilled with everything as it is, anyway." And that even can all be TRUE. But you would still have a million uses for each MILLION dollars that could change EVERY FACET about your life, and the lives of others. It wouldn't even have to be all about you, you could donate the funds to Africa. You could donate the funds even to the poor in America, for goodness sakes.

If I came on here and said I wont the lottery a couple years back, and had 150 million in my account, and didn't do anything about it, people would be in an uproar. I'd get messages up and down, left and right, telling me how stupid and self-centered it is, even if I don't personally need or want the money. You could do something.

I don't know if it's necessarily the best metaphor, but it's the only thing that comes to mind. To make a statement like the previous poster is grossly uneducated. And I think I reflect the sentiments of every intellectual on this forum, atheist or Christian, when I say that our common goal is to make people educated, and stop walking around in ignorance.

If it became officially known that there was indeed a God, then everyone is forced with the fact that he's real. And just for conversation's sake, lets assume that the God in question is the God described in the Torah and Bible (and similarly in the Quran, although Hebrews and Jesus-followers would contend with the Quran in its entirety). That would mean that there is a heaven and a hell, an eternal afterlife, and our decisions in life have incredibly deep and long-lasting implications.

If all of this is true, and one takes the stand, "Meh, I'll go on with life as normal," then they are incredibly foolish. I'm not saying that it's not an option. Your life may already be filled with happiness, and you may already be fulfilled in your pursuits. But if a God is real and he insists on following him as a requirement for eternal life, then who cares how happy your life is, you're screwed in the end.

And finally, you could take the rebellious attitude of "There's this great big God and he forces me to worship him to get into heaven, well that's bullcrap. I'm going to just do the opposite and say screw him." Well, you could do that, but congratulations, your just going to a crappy eternity in a crappy place. Was it worth it? (Presupposing that God is real).

There are two important things that come to the surface when considering this question. The first is how mature you are in your intellect. The second is how self-centered you are. Not in a traditional "selfish" way, but rather how much you are able to think outside of your own little bubble.

Okay, so there's this big God. If you're not mature and you're still at the center of your own universe, this cramps your style. You don't want to change your life, and it sucks. But if you're an intelligent person, and you can realize that the universe is a lot bigger than you, then you can understand that there is a grander picture at stake here. The world doesn't revolve around me and what I want. And apparently there's this big God all of a sudden. At the very least, I want to understand more about this God and what the story is. When you take the time to understand what the story is, with genuine curiosity that this God is real (or in our real-life case, potentially real), then the story becomes this amazing poetic narrative about the God of the universe reaching out to humanity, which is constantly in a state of this same self-centeredness. It's amazing that a God so big and with so many bigger and better things to do would step out and try and establish communication with humanity, not even to mention have a deep and intimate relationship with individual people. God is just as potentially real as he is potentially not real- literally. So whether or not it cramps your style, it is worth your time to take the time to find out.

Many "atheists" have never taken the time to sincerely ponder the question. I am sad for the genuine atheists who have to put up with the pseudo-intellectuals surrounding them that claim to be atheists. These people are just as stupid as the Christians who are Bible-thumpers and never use their brains. These "atheists" parade around a flag of intellectualism, when they are themselves guilty of never actually doing the homework and research. I know for a fact that all of the atheists I know in my life have never read the Bible, only heard the occasional verse or snippet. People just know Christians who are hypocrites, or mistakenly think that science and faith are in contention with one another, so they eliminate the Bible as an option. (Both atheists and Christians mistakenly believe this about Christianity, that faith and science are in conflict. To clarify: In atheism, faith is in conflict with science. In Christianity, science is not in conflict with faith. People simply mistakenly believe this.)

If you are sincere in your pursuit to find truth, and you are of maturity and intelligence in the manner in which you approach life and this topic, you need to take the time to figure these things out. It's not enough to just shoot from the hip off of assumptions, and the way you think life is.

Take the time. Respect your brain (and potentially your eternal soul) enough entertain the question. Because as any genuine, true atheist will tell you- God is just as potentially real as he is potentially not real. Make an educated decision.

It may help to stop referring to it as "Christian" or "Christianity." I shy away from the terminology in these social circles, because of the connotations: The Crusades, the Religious Right, Fundamentalism, you name it. If I say the word "Christian," these are the subconscious (or very conscious) connotations that come to mind (in this social sphere). It may help to think of it more as a study and following of Jesus.

Whether you believe it or not, it doesn't matter. To make the statement "I would do nothing" is certainly a possibility, but it is entirely stupid in every way that you can possibly look at it.

-3nigma

EDIT: I DID NOT TYPE ANYTHING STUPID HERE

ok, i read ur other posts about the burrito and what it looked like that u asked a question, but when people answered it "wrong" u tried to change their answer into something that u like. and yes i am serious.

:|

Wow. I'm stumped.

I won't even address how poorly you digest information. I will concede that my posts may require a collegiate comprehension level in order to understand, but judging from your vernacular, you aren't quite there yet.

That's the whole point that I'm trying to make. You don't even think. You just talk. And then you think you actually know what you are talking about. :blink:

i feel rly stupid right now....

You and muad_dib underscored my point quite shockingly well. I couldn't have asked for better case-study results.

It's more tragic than comical, really.

-3nigma :(

Are you religious?

post-18909-1186378228_thumb.jpg

No.

All my faith lies with the almighty, Steve :(

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Do you have that in the UK?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Can we NOT have people like you in the US?

Can we NOT have people like you in the US?

:blink:

Abolish freedom of religion?

:):blink::blink::blink:

To answer OryHara's question: No, they don't have a law written anywhere that says they cannot, I believe it's more of an "unwritten" understanding that Parliament should leave those freedoms alone.

;)

:(:blink::blink::blink:

To answer OryHara's question: No, they don't have a law written anywhere that says they cannot, I believe it's more of an "unwritten" understanding that Parliament should leave those freedoms alone.

Forgive me, I was not talking about religion, I was talking about hostility toward nations other than ones own, close mindedness and ignorance, not religion or freedom thereof.

You, are the epitome of ignorance. Yes the US is the greatest country ever (ppssst, everyone, I'm humoring him ;) ). And by the way, Paranoid Marvin was being uber sarcastic when he said he worships almighty steve (or at least I hope you were), you dont have to belt out a reason why the constitution is awesomesauce every time someone mentions something even remotely related to what it covers.

;)

:(:blink::blink::blink:

Thanks, just wanted to know.

no - i'm not really religious - i do believe in god though

however i believe in heavy scientific compromise in religion

for instance Genesis says that god created the world and everything in it in 7 days -- but he didnt create the sun until the fourth day - how can you measure how long the other days are without a sun - a day could have been millions and billions of years

I think you guys should all read "Inherit the wind" and you might just have a whole new understanding of the subject ^_^

(and maybe this giant religion vs. atheism flame war will end)