Windows is not any less of an operating system because it's Windows.

Guest Ramm

213 posts in this topic

I have a 160gb with 4 operating systems on it, so adding two more wouldn't require that much more.

Maddoggyca, Windows and Mac are closed-source operating systems...

You're correct about Windows, which is a fully closed-source operating system, however OS X is half and half. Parts of it are closed, and parts of it are open-source. Why do you think Apple releases kernel revisions to the public?

http://developer.apple.com/opensource/index.html

in the long run EFI if it isn;t borken don;t fix it... in the long scheme of thing if the old wheels still work don;t buy new ones.....

there no point in upgraded any os if your old setup is still working. but if your setup gives up then its a grate opitiounit to upgrade anywazs... why woudl u have a system crash and lse ever thing and then reload with a old software when the new one has all the old software plus 3rd party apps intergated into it...thats what new os were ment for in the first place... if old sitll works use it but the moment it give up replace it with new software and contuine on your life>>>>unless you have a ghost back up or somthing....

ya i knwo I said that and thats why tehre work... notice linux is not a worth anyones time os?

You're correct about Windows, which is a fully closed-source operating system, however OS X is half and half. Parts of it are closed, and parts of it are open-source. Why do you think Apple releases kernel revisions to the public?

http://developer.apple.com/opensource/index.html

Ah, but the OS itself (the apps, the GUI, etc) are closed source. I would consider Mac (OS X) a mostly closed-course OS.

but if it is borken just replace it....(ie upgrade)

OSX is closed source far as I consder then bought the right to use pure unix code and rights to sell it with out having to open it up... after all pure unix is not free

also come to think aobut it lets say you had the 2 following systems

Intel Quad-Core 3.0

4gig ram

1TB space (sata)

SLI 8800 GTX

SoundBalaster FX

ANd the rest

intell p4 2.0

2Gig Ram

ati x1600 250MB

500GIG SATA

SOund Audity 4

and the rest

Witch system would u give witch os..... the P4 will run better on XP but the Quad-Core woudl smoke vista better then it woudl run on xp... to be honest with os u use will alwas depend on what hardware your running.....

you wouldn;t wast New state of the art hardware on a outdated os that jsut be crazy...

-------------

also mulit booting is becoming the thing for today so in the end ever one ends up running ever thing on one pc anywazs... becuz space is so cheap anywas. 1TB sata=600$ not bad eh?

Ah, but the OS itself (the apps, the GUI, etc) are closed source. I would consider Mac (OS X) a mostly closed-course OS.

I guess it depends on how an individual takes it. For me...the apps, GUI, etc can always be replicated (especially the GUI), but the most important thing for me is if the core is avliable for the public to download...and it is for OS X, so in that case for me, I consider OS X to be half and half.

but if it is borken just replace it....(ie upgrade)

Though it would be a costly upgrade that many people (who might not be as computer fluent) would not like nor be able to justify.

OSX is closed source far as I consder then bought the right to use pure unix code and rights to sell it with out having to open it up... after all pure unix is not free

The unix/bsd code that Apple uses in OS X is what Darwin is made of...which is what gets released to the public as part of the opensource licence. So there is nothing wrong is what they are releasing to the public. Things that they are keeping closed source are simply to protect their trade secrets (i.e proprietory apps, GUI, etc). If a company releases those things to the public as well...it might as well cease its existence.

Witch system would u give witch os..... the P4 will run better on XP but the Quad-Core woudl smoke vista better then it woudl run on xp... to be honest with os u use will alwas depend on what hardware your running.....

you wouldn;t wast New state of the art hardware on a outdated os that jsut be crazy...

-------------

also mulit booting is becoming the thing for today so in the end ever one ends up running ever thing on one pc anywazs... becuz space is so cheap anywas. 1TB sata=600$ not bad eh?

In the general public, how many people do you think have high end quad core processors with an 8800GTX in their system? Probably a fraction of a percent. And more over, so far in terms of gaming performance, Vista has not surpassed XP in any way striking. Its either been on par or slower...much slower. So even if that fraction of a percent DO have the quad core processor and the 8800GTX...they're still not being utilized properly. XP is no where near outdated when you compare it to Vista...it is however, outdated when you compare it to OS X. XP will become outdated when Dx10 truly takes off, and software application designs strictly start to follow Microsoft's UI guidelines.

About the dual booting...same thing, how many people do you think actually dual boot? Very, very few. You cannot compare us members here at the insanely mac forum to the general public...becuase we are different...in a lot of ways :P:P . The general public has no idea of what dual booting even is.

If a company releases those things to the public as well...it might as well cease its existence.

I not sure look at what happend when the intire windows 2000 Code got released by a decomplaire a few years ago? infact I honesty say I have the intire code when it got relased. I waz one a the few rare people that got there hands on it before MS did a clean up to remove it fomr the nets.... far as I know know ones used any part of that code for there own use though?

I not sure look at what happend when the intire windows 2000 Code got released by a decomplaire a few years ago? infact I honesty say I have the intire code when it got relased. I waz one a the few rare people that got there hands on it before MS did a clean up to remove it fomr the nets.... far as I know know ones used any part of that code for there own use though?

Ah but you see that's different. Microsoft's closed source code was leaked in that case. They have every right to sue the individual who was responsible for leaking the code, because its closed source. So if the individual or any other individual tried doing anything with that code...they can be prosecuted to the max. Plus Microsoft cleaned up right after the incident, and would have indefinately finished off anyone who tried messing with the code.

ok wrong explain

Amd Dual-core 4200+

IDE 80GIG HD

2Gig ram

SLI 8699 GT 256 3GDDR

Audigy 4

and the rest

xp or vista?

I not sure ever one I know are dual booting.... and didn;t apple public anounce to ever one aobut bootcamp? so in the mac world ever one knows aobut dual-booting

-------------------------------

heres the read=me for the 2000 leak

LINUX WAS HERE !!!

-> HACK THE PLANET ! <-

DAMN MUTHA{censored}As @ MicroSOFT

GREETZ go OUT TO ALL THE LINUX USERS

-> Thiz release is damn Anounymouz u suckers,

before Bill Gates {censored} come to me and suck my **** <-

So have FUN here are the REAL SOURCES for u pleasures,

Print them and hang them on your WALL or use them as

Toiletpaper whatever you want.

Another Silver from Hongkong *yiiebiii*

from Manga

----------------------

If a company releases those things to the public as well...it might as well cease its existence.

--------------

and it still existecs infact still used>LOL

tooo bad I not a coder jsut a collector for software and 101010101011010101 data .. or I be able to understand this>LMAO

ok wrong explain

Amd Dual-core 4200+

IDE 80GIG HD

2Gig ram

SLI 8699 GT 256 3GDDR

Audigy 4

and the rest

xp or vista?

I would still take XP over a congif like that. Have you seen the SLI performance under Vista?

I not sure ever one I know are dual booting.... and didn;t apple public anounce to ever one aobut bootcamp? so in the mac world ever one knows aobut dual-booting

-------------------------------

heres the read=me for the 2000 leak

LINUX WAS HERE !!!

-> HACK THE PLANET !

DAMN MUTHA{censored}As @ MicroSOFT

GREETZ go OUT TO ALL THE LINUX USERS

-> Thiz release is damn Anounymouz u suckers,

before Bill Gates {censored} come to me and suck my ****

So have FUN here are the REAL SOURCES for u pleasures,

Print them and hang them on your WALL or use them as

Toiletpaper whatever you want.

Another Silver from Hongkong *yiiebiii*

from Manga

----------------------

--------------

and it still existecs infact still used>LOL

tooo bad I not a coder jsut a collector for software and 101010101011010101 data .. or I be able to understand this>LMAO

:( To be honest...I have no clue what your point there was...lol.

actully that system yp there is acutlly mine^^^^

Amd Dual-core 4200+

IDE 80GIG HD

2Gig ram

SLI 8600 GT 256 3GDDR

Audigy 4

and the rest

and infct vista runs better on it then xp dose... and I dual booting.. I fined my self 99% of my time in vista and the ocasnaly flip to xp main for Trackmanina...

and sli run grate under vista ...

It's nearly impossible for Vista to run better than XP, considering Vista has so much more going on. It's probably just based off the fact it's a fresh installation.

nope 2 fresh copys ^ one afer another when I bought the new cpu and video cards I formated the drives and I did xp then vista and found vista runs smother and faster then xp did. I think it has somthing ot do with how vista uses ram and xp wastes it ...\

and with sandbox I can;t say the esystem crashed ether ...

waht would be even faster woudl be VIsta 64 but I not doign that til lI get 4 gig of ram

If 90% of the world used Macs, They'd be plagued with viruses, spyware, jungle herpes, and all other maor of malware, just like Windows. Truth is Microsoft steals every innovation from Apple. I wish Apple would have the sense (or lack of stubbornness) to steal an innovation or two from Microsoft (as rare as those are). I love my Macs and their UNIX command line functions, but nobody here seems to be debating UNIX vs DOS, which is fundamentally the only argument I care about. I love being able to run both Operating Systems on the same machine these days. That would have made my life a lot easier in 2001!

A Kia is less of a car because its a Kia. Interms of 'engineering' yes windows is less of an OS because its a windows.

Now take your crappy Kia and leave our illegal street race.

You just made yourself look like a complete idiot :)

If the above statement applied to everything, that means that anything would be less of something because it's anything - which is exactly what I was trying to argue.

OS X and Windows are for people who aren't very serious about computing.

OS X is for Art Majors and people who want a simple unix-like OS

Windows is for Gamers and the average joe.

Linux is where all the serious innovation is at, and no, I'm not talking about OS innovation or petty things like MP3 players and iPhones.

I'm talking about earth simulation, simulation/emulation of a working, thinking brain, super computing.

All done on Unix, BSD, and Linux.

Without Unix, I doubt we'd have the same computer world we have now.

I guess I have to stop being serious about computing then. Should I drop computer science and change my major to art? IMO there's no reason to use linux over OS X. OS X does the same stuff with little more than a recompile, and if you're downloading binaries instead of the source and compiling yourself on linux then I don't think you can call yourself a serious computer use anyway.

OS X and Windows are for people who aren't very serious about computing.

Linux is where all the serious innovation is at, and no, I'm not talking about OS innovation or petty things like MP3 players and iPhones.

I'm talking about earth simulation, simulation/emulation of a working, thinking brain, super computing.

All done on Unix, BSD, and Linux.

Without Unix, I doubt we'd have the same computer world we have now.

You seem to have forgotten that Mac OS X is UNIX...

Average Joe: I would say that this is someone who checks email, keeps in touch with family, composes documents and maybe plays a few games on their computer.

If the above is what you use your computer for, then I would say Windows, OS X and Linux can all meet your needs fine.

I would say a lot of Apples newest customers arent techies, or computer enthusiast. ( I mean in general, I realize that the Macbook Pro has become a favorite for developers). They are, in general average joes. My cousin was telling me all about the Mac Pro. He explained how "They opened 50 Quick Time movies at once". I explained how a 7300GT sucks incredibly bad, and how there are no Liquid Cooling options for the Mac Pro. He didn't listen. Apple's propaganda had got to him. Windows was boring and unstable. OS X was the fun, rock-solid future.

I really dont see why people think OS X is the best thing ever. You can only use it on the machines Apple sells, and every single desktop Apple sells is a POS. The iMac and Mac Pro are both ridiculously overpriced. (no "best motherboard in the world" can justify their cost when you compare PCs with identical hardware that are hundreds and hundres of dollars cheaper) You cant upgrade at all. You just bought your new Mac Pro, but you think you want an NVIDIA 8 series, or maybe an ATI HD2K, sucks for you.

In a lot of ways, Kenta is right. The biggest innovations comes out of the Linux commuinity. If I couldnt use Windows for whatever reason, I would rather use Linux (PCLinuxOS or openSUSE) over OS X.

The biggest innovations comes out of the Linux commuinity....

linux dosn;t innovate anything... instead there playing catch up and there still miles behined...

name one thing that linux invated that hasn;t alrdy been done in windows or osx and saying tighter secretey dosn't count....

Grome and KDE are sooo far behined..... Bery/AGLX is geting there but buggy as hell

the file system {censored}... whast with this / and then to fined a drive u have to go to /mount/ide01 or /mount/cdrom01 and soo on... thats so {censored}. thats no way to have to fined drives.. the installion of software is {censored} u can;t change what drive it gets installed .... and most software can't change what director it install in. ....

its {censored}-tacuer for ATI user futher more....

(and don't tell me its ATI fault for not suporting drivers) (its them telling you that its not worth suporting driver/time and effort for something that they KNOW will not last anywazs)

and there really no set stander for Linux in a hole.(IE .rpm .dep .gz) (dam it pick one installion methed and stick with it.....No guildlines what so ever... you have 500,000 people with 500,000 ideas how somthing should be and in the end it gose no were.... the fact that linux is NOT pritory software is hurting it alot. and the fact its open soured is hurting it alot...

in fact the The biggest innovations comes out of the Apple in ever aspect form Iphone to Ipod and OSX. then MS dose copy this catch up (IE Ipod to zune)(withc one came first) and linux is going oh {censored} we havn;t even cought up to windows 95 yet and there relases more to play catch up with....

how ever at the time form windows 3.1 to xp. windows waz the "The biggest innovations" but when OSX 10.3.0 cam out MS has been learning form apple

(atlest windows is the first intergated invation to Live desktop backgrounds... DreamScene. OSX and linux dose not suport out of the box video format backgrounds.) THis like this make OS to OS appart form each other untill the other ones play catch up steal idea and do there only little but same idea.

in the long run when one thinks of it The biggest innovations comes out of the Nintendo.... now only if MS and OSX took a look at what the Big "N" dose in hardware to software.. ...witch I remined people Xbox360 praies the wii (have link to news artic) and Sony has been sued over stealing invation from "N" Case 1 +rumble fetures back in N64/PS2 and Case 2 Sony got sued over stealing the Wii remotes Seneor future (have news artica on bother cases)....

and sega drops out.....

The moral of the story.. Sony is to Microsoft and Nintendo is to Apple. and Sega is to Linux. One steal off the other...one invents then get stoled from others... and One drops out in failer....