Windows is not any less of an operating system because it's Windows.

Guest Ramm

213 posts in this topic

What about if you plug your digital camera into your mac, and want to copy a single picture off of it, rather than importing them all into iPhoto?

I encountered this issue and the only viable solution I could come up with was to turn to windows. Anyone know a better (e.g. OSX - based) way? My GF's ibook doesn't have the hard drive space to offload 2 gigs of pictures. The camera is relatively new, but mounts as a disk in XP. It doesn't mount at all in OSX but instead opens iPhoto and presents the frustrating single "import all" button.

Really, this isn't a knock at OSX as much as a technical inquiry. But oh well. Thought it would fit here.

Haha, I was wondering the samething. Does anyone know a work around for this issue?

Congrats.

In 5 years they've gone from 1% market share to 4% market share.

Give them another 160 years (if I did the math right) and they'll own it all ;)

You don't get it do you...? You don't need 80% of the market share to prove that you are a serious threat to your competitor...nor have high regards in the eyes of consumers and potential clients.

Haha, I was wondering the samething. Does anyone know a work around for this issue?

I don't know if this is technically considered as a workaround...but I have Aperture installed on my MBP, and I selected the "do not openup/import" option in Aperture. Now when I connect my digital camera, it mounts, but iPhoto and Aperture don't import any photos etc.

Word of note. If you have Aperture, then iPhoto will not automatically import anymore, it's all managed by Aperture, unless you were to manually do it.

do not openup/import" option in Aperture. Now when I connect my digital camera, it mounts, but iPhoto and Aperture don't import any photos etc.

Hmm might be hard to get Aperture on an ibook g4 with less than 2 gigs of hard drive space.. but that sounds like the kinda option I would have liked to see in the iphoto prefs. Wonder why it's not there.

In 5 years they've gone from 1% market share to 4% market share.

Give them another 160 years (if I did the math right) and they'll own it all

4% of the computer market is still a multibillion dollar industry. 98% of statistics can be manipulated in anyone's favor.

I recently purchased a MacBook and it's the first time I have ever used OSX. Overall, I think it's an excellent operating system and the environment is very easy for a new user. Windows is similar, but I feel that OSX is just that much more reliable and complete.

IMO, iTunes by far is the best music player software out there. I have used Windows Media Player, Winamp, and now iTunes

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

hmm winamp is the most widly used music player around.....

it really kicks the lambs' ass

only resone i use WMP is for movies... Itunes is becuz I own I ipod 80 gig ...winamp for music... it read all format of music format unlike Itunes,,,,, the moment Itunes finds a ogg or wma it wants to convert it to be able to play in itunes.. what is up with that anywazs?????

aprently though there IpodLinux that realkses the need for Itunes also there a plug in for Winamp to use the ipod but I never liked that one

Llama, it really kicks the llama's ass.

I tried rockbox on my 5th gen ipod, it was really slow. Yes, you can just dump files on there and it will find them, but it takes its sweet time doing so. I use it primarily in the car, so that wasn't really gonna work for me.

Use Media Player Classic for video, it rules the roost. It plays pretty much everything if you've got your codecs set up or ffdshow installed.

You don't get it do you...? You don't need 80% of the market share to prove that you are a serious threat to your competitor...nor have high regards in the eyes of consumers and potential clients.

Oh sorry, you're right.

At that rate they will have a respectable market share of 30% in 2052.

My bad.

BTW you do realize that my posts are partially satire, and partially just the fact that Apple would have a much larger share of the OS market if they just allowed it to be licensed for PC's.

...Apple would have a much larger share of the OS market if they just allowed it to be licensed for PC's.

Sorry to crush your dreams...but as countless other plea threads on this issue have proven...that's not going to happen in the forseable future. Why does Apple have to release OS X to generic PC's...when Macs can run Windows? Supposing that OS X was indeed released to the PC...then (and I know this for a fact) gaming would still not improve under OS X, becuase OpenGL works completely differently from DirectX...becuase It does not rely on the graphic card for features...it merely uses it for acceleration. That's the key difference between OpenGL and DirectX. In which case, graphics card makers (in particular AMD and nVidia) will have to severely alter their archietechure of the cards....it a long and complicated process, and is not as easy as it sounds. Why am I blabbering about gaming?...becuase I know for a fact that's very reason why every single person want's OS X to be released for PC's...so that this area can improve in OS X in the future with game developers taking notice. :)

Why does Apple have to release OS X to generic PC's...when Macs can run Windows?

Well put! That says it in a nutshell :) Why should Apple have to bend over backwards for these peecee people, when all new Macs can run BOTH OSX and Windows? If they want a machine that does BOTH, they know where to get it :P

Imagine one machine that can run both Leopard and windows. Doesn't get any better than that :D

linux dosn;t innovate anything... instead there playing catch up and there still miles behined...

name one thing that linux invated that hasn;t alrdy been done in windows or osx and saying tighter secretey dosn't count....

Grome and KDE are sooo far behined..... Bery/AGLX is geting there but buggy as hell

the file system {censored}... whast with this / and then to fined a drive u have to go to /mount/ide01 or /mount/cdrom01 and soo on... thats so {censored}. thats no way to have to fined drives.. the installion of software is {censored} u can;t change what drive it gets installed .... and most software can't change what director it install in. ....

You have been flamed enough, but I couldn't resist, sorry. You talk about Linux as if you read about it 10 years ago but never tried it today. And trying one or two distributions is not enough, sorry.

So what has come out of Microsoft in 6 years? Vista? Ugh!

6 years ago Linux was still at SUSE 7xx, Debian Potato, Red Hat 7xx, Mandrake 8.0...

No innovation? This is a big laugh.

Do me a favor: ask anybody with a clue how much Linux has changed from 2001 till now.

As to Linux being usable, it has been fully usable for me since Libranet 2.8 and SUSE 9.0 (2002). I don't see why it shouldn't be usable for everybody else with a bit of brain. And don't tell me that Windows is easier for brain-dead people, because they bring computers littered with viruses and malware to computer shops every day (personal experience).

There would be chaos from people wondering how the hell Linux works.

When people start using Windows, they don't have a clue either. And very often after several years they are still hapless.

A few years ago there was a research: they put a certain number of people who had never used a computer in front of Windows, and the same number in front of Linux. They found out that both groups needed the same time to learn and that they had the same difficulties.

I won't even mention that a smarter user can learn the inner workings of Linux more easily than it is possible with Windows.

About the iTunes, as long as it's your own personal preference....then I could care less. So that's that.

No thats more than opinion. Thats fact.

It doesn't even play half of the media out there. Anytime i get songs in wma or any other format then i have to go through the trouble of converting the files and all of that. It barely plays any video formats at all. And for the formats it does play, it does a VERY VEEEEEEERRY poor job of it. If i play as song and move the file around on my computer then it all of a sudden can't FIND it. then i have to go through the trouble of locating it again. And who really feels like doing that. Especially when its alot of songs that have been moved. And if i choose to store the songs in the itunes library, it breaks the files up into artists and stuff and makes thing very irritating when trying to located them in the library. When the songs are not "tagged" perfectly itunes just throws them in there somewhere and you have to search though hundreds of files to find them.

ITUNES IS TRASH

hate it or love it :o

No thats more than opinion. Thats fact.

It doesn't even play half of the media out there. Anytime i get songs in wma or any other format then i have to go through the trouble of converting the files and all of that. It barely plays any video formats at all. And for the formats it does play, it does a VERY VEEEEEEERRY poor job of it. If i play as song and move the file around on my computer then it all of a sudden can't FIND it. then i have to go through the trouble of locating it again. And who really feels like doing that. Especially when its alot of songs that have been moved. And if i choose to store the songs in the itunes library, it breaks the files up into artists and stuff and makes thing very irritating when trying to located them in the library. When the songs are not "tagged" perfectly itunes just throws them in there somewhere and you have to search though hundreds of files to find them.

ITUNES IS TRASH

hate it or love it :)

I'm pretty sure you've just skimmed through using iTunes, without actually using it. iTunes plays the most highest quality audio format there is...which is AAC. WMA is inferior to AAC in pretty much every aspect. Last time I saw Windows Media Player 11 play OGG, was erm...never. iTMS is years ahead of Urge Service, and podcasts are so much more valuable and informative and are something which Windows Media Player does not offer...nor have a service even remotely similar to (podcasts). You cannot fast forward AVI video files in WMP, even though that's the most popular ripped DVD format for divX, and Xvid codecs.

And to further prove that you haven't *really* used iTunes....the auto-organizing features in iTunes can be disabled if you don't like your artists | albums | songs to be neatly organized. The option is here:

picture1os8.png

And you obviously have no idea of what smart playlists even are (something that's in WMP 11 too :) ). Assuming you atleast have the artist, song name, and album title filled out...then if you were to create a smart playlist with a particular category titled for that particular artist, song name, etc...then every time you add a song, if it has the same info as specified by your smart playlist...it will be added on to the smart playlist. There are numerous options to configure a smart playlist to just the way you like it. If you know how to use it properly...organizing your music library in iTunes will be a complete breeze. Windows media player does not have the same in-depth configuration of smart playlist as iTunes does....but it has the basics.

And lastly, did you forget that there is a search bar located on the upper right hand corner of iTunes? Type your song name, or even the first few letters depending on your library, and the song will pop up instantly. If you are using Mac OS X, there is a software called Corripio, which basically finds all album artwork for your songs if the songs/albums are avaliable at Amazon.com. It's an amazing alternative to getting full album artwork for your entire library if you don't want to pay to get an iTunes online account.

iTunes plays the leading industry standard audio formats, which is MP3, and AAC. That's all you basically need, since even if you were to buy CD's, or download them legally/illegally online...they come in only these two formats almost always. Only if you were to download from Microsoft's music store, do you get them in WMA format....then again, compared to iTMS, Microsoft's music store is peanuts. I'm not saying that iTunes does not have it's fallbacks, it does. But saying that its {censored} because it only has 2 audio formats it officially supports even though they are the world's most widely adopted and used is just FUD at most.

Same with video formats.

I seriously doubt you've even used iTunes to its fullest potential. WMP is good in some things...no deying that...but the things that loses to iTunes...it loses pretty, pretty bad. That's not the case with iTunes.

yea u right. I barely used Itunes. Because I can't stand it. it sucks so much. How can the "GREATEST" player NOT support any video formats. Is there some apple video player that i'm missing? maybe "iVid" or some {censored} like that? And then there is no way to skin or customize the program(that i know of) its just they standard lame look that it always has. And i still recieve plenty of files in wma and other formats. I have a whole library of rma files(i know that format sucks) But its a whole lot of rare albums that i have in that format. A WHOLE LOT..... and it would be nice if itunes played it or AT LEAST supported plug-ins so that there would be hope for rma compatibility. And don't even get me started about syncing this thing w/ the ipod. You can't even truely access your own ipod w/ this {censored}. YOu can only "Sync" it. And if you don't have the songs in your library that were on it before then well........OFF THEY GO! And Quicktime is Definitely garbage!

And why are you comparing iTunes to WMP11? This debate had nothing to do with

Itunes is mainaly aimed at a music player more or less for the ipod. WMP is amined mainly at video play back alone side codecs downloaded.....

there really no wway to compaire itunes with WMP... U mite try comapling Quick Time to WMP but htta relaly not a argument ether as QUicktime dosen't suport much at all

thats why we have WMP + CCCP and winamp (add itunes here if u have a ipod) (remove itunes if u do not have a ipod) that what most system setup I seen...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^For the above guy way up there

I use over 1237 Diffrent Disto of linux I been useing fendor core 1-thur 7 and were the invation? no were its almsot the same BS expect a newwer look since FC5 but its sitll RPM install BS with updated packages fomr other 3rd partty. Such as Mplayer / KB burn / samba / Gnome / KDE / ICE ...the only invation thing I seen for linux in the past 5 years is Baely AGL XAGL compsite desktop but ever hting eles been the same....same gose for Debin / suse / Knoppix / mandrive / Slax ther ereally no invaiton ... Last time I checked Fedor core 1 thur 7 use the same kernal 2.6.x...big upgrade .... oh wait after 10 years wine comes out of alpha in to beta stage... thast progress????as you were say?

And then there is no way to skin or customize the program(that i know of) its just they standard lame look that it always has.

You can't even truely access your own ipod w/ this {censored}. YOu can only "Sync" it. And if you don't have the songs in your library that were on it before then well........OFF THEY GO! And Quicktime is Definitely garbage!

Ok, now it's obvious your just trolling.

1. Yes, you can skin iTunes if you wanted...do some research first. Here, Ill help you get started: http://pimpmydesk.org/?p=2935.

2. You can use your iPod as an external disk...hence having full access to it. All you have to do is select "enable disk use" in iTunes. Then you can use your iPod to transfer regular files, and use it as one large USB drive.

Now I doubt you have even used iTunes to begin with. Stop trolling and move on.

NOT support any video formats.

:rolleyes:

It's called iTUNES, not iVideo ;)

And don't even get me started about syncing this thing w/ the ipod. You can't even truely access your own ipod w/ this {censored}. YOu can only "Sync" it. And if you don't have the songs in your library that were on it before then well........OFF THEY GO! And Quicktime is Definitely garbage!

Wow, talk about ignorant and closed minded :rolleyes: Sad, but it's no skin off anyone elses butt. Only you lose by being like that ;)

Ok, now it's obvious your just trolling.

1. Yes, you can skin iTunes if you wanted...do some research first. Here, Ill help you get started: http://pimpmydesk.org/?p=2935.

2. You can use your iPod as an external disk...hence having full access to it. All you have to do is select "enable disk use" in iTunes. Then you can use your iPod to transfer regular files, and use it as one large USB drive.

Now I doubt you have even used iTunes to begin with. Stop trolling and move on.

you for got 1 thing. u have to show hidden files in windows to do any real work within your ipod files dirrectory. another problem is if u had any files in the hidden music folder hte moment u sync it its lost (That is if u tryed to drag and droped files in there).. that sucks.. that fact that u can;t just drag and drop mp3 on the ipod a huge hit towrds the ipod.

How ever being able to downlaod the Ipod Gmaes form torrents and playing them for nothing wiht out osing them on sync is a bonus....

rockbox on my Ipod 80 GiG now thats pimping and faster then apple os tooo wereu get the slowness form? and hte fact the bootloader can boot ether apple os or Rockbox is a bonus u don;t have to delete your itunes stuff ether and run them side by side...

I ipod looks lie this now A_Link_to_the_Past_b.png

------------------------

after dumping my intire Itunes libery of 15,000 + songs the system waz horrible slow... in rockbox the I tried to save a playlist and gave up.. the skinning idea kools some of the games are kool.. Idoom key scheme sucks though... in data base my orignal playlist did not copy over..... in all I have to say rockbox actully sucks.... the bootload at first did recon my apple os the first few time then it decided i t wazn;t there any more ...good thing for the uninstlal of the loader option........

all in all this is another stonge good reason why linux as a os never works...... and why intergation os such as apple os dose work......

kool Idea with no functnality in the end

------------------------------

I going to give it another go again this time I going ot format my Ipod with out any thing on it this tiem aroudn cuz if I can turly give up Itunes for good I will

ssry I ment 123 disto and yes fedor is a disto just like freesipre is a distor evne tho linsipre is built on freespire like REHL is buidl on fedora core like suse is buidl on opensuse ther eall diffrent distors

why do u think fedor realses F8 Test1 release

and soo on ??? testbeds are the test releases...

go to http://distrowatch.com/ for all your lastest disros... click on the pull down menu select distro ....oh look fedor is there...sigh

also aobut that list that were I get all my lastest updated verion and I download burnt and tryed aobut 80% of the distro on that list... to me they seem all the same in the end

why do u think fedor realses F8 Test1 release

and soo on ??? testbeds are the test releases...

You could at least google a bit before you write something like that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testbed

I didn't say that Fedora is not a distro, I said that Fedora is not your typical desktop distro.

you for got 1 thing. u have to show hidden files in windows to do any real work within your ipod files dirrectory.

Real work? What are you talking about...the only hidden files are the folders in which your music and videos are stored on. What would you possibly want to do with those folders...espcailly seening how you wont be able to add songs silently that way anyways.

that fact that u can;t just drag and drop mp3 on the ipod a huge hit towrds the ipod.

yet it still owns more than half of the MP3 market. How ironic is that? Either you'r wrong about it being a huge hit towards the iPod (in order to damage sales)...or the market is wrong. Hmm...choices, choices.

after dumping my intire Itunes libery of 15,000 + songs the system waz horrible slow... in rockbox the I tried to save a playlist and gave up. the skinning idea kools some of the games are kool.. Idoom key scheme sucks though... in data base my orignal playlist did not copy over..... in all I have to say rockbox actully sucks.... the bootload at first did recon my apple os the first few time then it decided i t wazn;t there any more ...good thing for the uninstlal of the loader option........

Why the heck are you talking about this 'rockbox'? There is a difference between Linux variation on an iPod...and a desktop class distro. You are being too judgemental. What you are basically saying is that if WinCE (Windows cell phone OS) was {censored}, then Windows Vista is also {censored} (all jokes aside). That's the extent to which you are doing an improper comparison of a different class of OS's.

I going to give it another go again this time I going ot format my Ipod with out any thing on it this tiem aroudn cuz if I can turly give up Itunes for good I will

You just contradicted everything you said before that sentence.

I quote what you said right here "Fedora is not a desktop distro"

"You just contradicted everything you said before that sentence." no it mean if I cna acutlly get it to work then I can give up {censored} Itune for {censored} linux.. the difrrence is the linuyx dose a little more...

""yet it still owns more than half of the MP3 market. How ironic is that? Either you'r wrong about it being a huge hit towards the iPod (in order to damage sales)...or the market is wrong. Hmm...choices, choices. ""

no it jsut means were locked unless you knwo how to put this linux or another os that alowes drag and drop... the reson why the ipod a hug hit is what tother MP# player is 80GIG big that suports games and music and video out of the box? also the fact that u can striped the OS out of it and cusmize it makes it a better player agest other MP3 players

""Real work? What are you talking about...the only hidden files are the folders in which your music and videos are stored on. What would you possibly want to do with those folders...espcailly seening how you wont be able to add songs silently that way anyways.""

hmmm I guess u never torrented the Ipod games that have to go into that folder.... see real work... sure u can dump files on the Ipod but if u want the files to intreact with Apple OS of the Ipod then u have to dump them in the Hidden folder......

I tryed both now the Desktop / server /ipod linux OS they all seem to suck down the line...

the big diffrence between the Apple OS and Linux OS is I cna theme it and get even more freee games to work on the ipod.... and the Drag and Drop ..... as well as adding plugins.....