Broadcom bcm43xx wireless driver [beta]

mcsmart

860 posts in this topic

What do you mean by modified kext? It is recommended to install Apple's AirPort-Update before running the script... Then you should get a vanilla-kext.

Thanks for that hint.

Regards,

mcsmart

Some days ago i experimented with the .kext from tubgirl's v10.4.10 . Seems the AirPort Update is already integrated.

Anyway the kext already contained the IDs of additional wireless adapters and as i ran your script the .kext was a completely mess :D

Hi, I'm new to the scene and I installed Leopard (iATKOS) recently on my laptop. My built in wireless card which is intel 3945 is not working. I found out from reading this forum that there are no drivers for it yet. I got a motorola wn825g wireless card that has a broadcom chipset in it but I dont know how to configure it. I already have the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext with the pcid 4320 in it. All help to configure the card would be much appreciated.

I got a motorola wn825g wireless card that has a broadcom chipset in it but I dont know how to configure it. I already have the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext with the pcid 4320 in it. All help to configure the card would be much appreciated.

Is it a USB card or PCMCIA? With PCMCIA you probably won't have any luck. USB could work: plug it in and see what happens. Especially the output of "sudo dmesg" should be interesting.

mcsmart

Thanks for a quick reply. It is a PCMCIA card not USB. I ran the command 'sudo dmesg' and it displayed a lot of information which i dont understand which included something about the ethernet. (I have my ethernet working).

Yeah, see: PCMCIA is sort of a problem. You should first be sure that your PCMCIA controller is working, and only very few chipsets are supported by OSX86. You can try to attach the output of dmesg to one of your posts.

But trust me: just get a new USB wireless card (check the forum for recommended cards) and life will be a whole lot easier for you :lol:

regards,

mcsmart

Just one silly detail about Broadcom wifi:

I have a Dell Inspiron 5160 and I had to enable the wifi from the CMOS setup. Silly detail no? LMAOL!! But in Windows I never had to deal with this detail..

So IF you get to see your Broadcom mini-PCI card detected but you simply cannot establish a connection, check your CMOS settings!!!

:P

I got a Dynex DX-BNBC from Best Buy for $35 with a BCM4318 (pci14e4,4318) chipset in it, which is all well and good--I would add this model to the first post, for the sake of forum Newbies and

If I use the Airport utility, it finds nothing. I click on the Airport icon at the top, Airport: Not Configured. If I go to network preferences, click "Assist Me..." and go through the motions, it finds my router and allows me to enter the password. However, next screen it says "cannot connect to internet." So, I close the assistant window and look at network preferences... Connected, with an assigned IP address. All is good. :)

If I go to system profiler, then down to Airport card, it says "AirPort is currently turned off" when I am clearly connected. :P

Still quite odd that Airport is not seeing it correctly. :unsure:

It would be cool if somebody had any ideas as to how to get Airport to be seen as "enabled." Any thoughts?

I just had the same problem with a BRDCM 4311, try to delete that set up in Network preferences and make a new one.

It seems after running the assistant, and then trying to initialize the card, it works. Did for me, anyways.

That worked for me too; same card. Reboot needed though

When I type sudo ./ and drag the file in it still says ,command not found.

Before dealing with OSX on a regular PC you should have some basic understanding of POSIX systems.

• 2 weeks later...
I hope you will add the compatibility with leopard soon, because actually there is no way to have internet with a bcm43xx chipset

What do you mean no way to have internet with a bcm43xx in Leopard?

My new dell 1490 (with bcm4311 chip, dev id 4312) is working fine in both Tiger and Leopard.

Only problem i had after changing to it was that it is a mini pci-express and i have a "soft" hardware switch on my computer (acer aspire 5633WMLi). It was showing up as a thirdparty wireless card with the wireless icon apperaing in the upper right corner but i could not see any networks.

Solved that one by taping over pin 20 on the card. :)

Now it's workinf perfectly.

These are the details of the Broadcom USB that I have,

Version: 0.06

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Broadcom

Product ID: 0x0715

Serial Number: 0016E3B4A811

Vendor ID: 0x1690

is there something that can help me get this running under leapard at all?

THanks

Scott

My new dell 1490 (with bcm4311 chip, dev id 4312) is working fine in both Tiger and Leopard.

This is because it is supported by the default AppleAirport.kext. You are lucky :D

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Broadcom

Product ID: 0x0715

Vendor ID: 0x1690

You've just answered your own question: 0x0715 does not belong to the bcm43xx-Family (this would be 0x43__) and can therefore not be supported by this driver.

Anyway: Zephyroth AMD Leopard 10.5.2 supports all bcm43xx-devices out of the box. If you want to get Leopard-support, simply install that release!

Thanks for the reply,

so do you think that its worth trying to find a driver for this device of mine or is it looking like its not going to happen?

also - my laptop does have wireless device built in but its not an Intel one, when i install Vista I have to go to the SIS website and download a driver called SIS163U Wlan.

do you think that this will work with OSX? I can get it to show up on the system profiler as a USB device but there is no options to be able to activate it as it were?

what do you think?

Thanks

This is because it is supported by the default AppleAirport.kext. You are lucky :D

You've just answered your own question: 0x0715 does not belong to the bcm43xx-Family (this would be 0x43__) and can therefore not be supported by this driver.

Anyway: Zephyroth AMD Leopard 10.5.2 supports all bcm43xx-devices out of the box. If you want to get Leopard-support, simply install that release!

hi guys,

can you guys help me to support

Broadcom 4321AGN Wi-Fi

thanks!

Try if it works with the newest version (0.5pre).

mcsmart

does the 0.5 beta support bcm43xx on leopard?

no matter how i tried to install the 0.5 beta i get the error command not found in the terminal. let me say i tried sudo and draging the file in . i tried sudo ./ and drag the file in . and i tried going to the diractory cd ~/name/home/Desktop . still when doing sudo /bcm43xx_enabler_0.5pre.sh or sudo ./bcm43xx_enabler_0.5pre.sh comman is not found ??????????

does the 0.5 beta support bcm43xx on leopard?

Yes.

no matter how i tried to install the 0.5 beta i get the error command not found in the terminal.

Again: You need to know where you have downloaded the file. Unzip it and remember the location you have unzipped the file to. Then open a Terminal window, go to the place where the file is located (i.e.: "cd Desktop") and then type "sudo ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh".

If you cannot find the file I guess I can't help you. You should have some basic understanding of POSIX systems (at least shell commands like cd and ls).