Broadcom bcm43xx wireless driver [beta]

mcsmart

860 posts in this topic

Could it be that the firmware is not properly uploaded in some cases?

Could be. But think of the whole thing: Apple made a driver for the Broadcom chipsets they use. Now we use Apple's driver and tell it to support much more chipsets (this is what my script does). Since the driver is not supposed to support all of these chipsets in the first place you are lucky if your wireless card is working with the driver.

I know that the new Linux driver requires different firmware for different chipsets (b43 and b43legacy), but the old one did not. I don't know what would happen if you would try to use newer firmware. But I am pretty sure that the Apple driver cannot use V4-broadcom firmware. Getting a different V3-firmware could be possible but I don't think it would help. You could try though. Tiger users could try the firmware from the Leopard kext, that should work.

You might want to check out this for firmware download locations.

- mcsmart

do you delete the network preferences file and install the package that is on the forum for the broadcom and it will fix itself or do you have to do it by code? does anyone know why my pc wont start without the mac install dvd in the drive?

I have this little evil problem, my card is a 4311, the drivers loads without complaints, but the card is not visible anywhere, neither in Networks nor in System Profiler, all it says is "No information found."

It could be a "soft" hardware on/off switch, i have this little button with a led and it's not lit. In linux it works without any hardware tinkering. Do you think I will have to "tape the pin 20" or something to get it up and running?

But shouldn't it at least show up somewhere even when it's not "online"? In linux even if the led is unlit the card is at least shown in ifconfig.

I have this little evil problem, my card is a 4311, the drivers loads without complaints, but the card is not visible anywhere, neither in Networks nor in System Profiler, all it says is "No information found."

It could be a "soft" hardware on/off switch, i have this little button with a led and it's not lit. In linux it works without any hardware tinkering. Do you think I will have to "tape the pin 20" or something to get it up and running?

But shouldn't it at least show up somewhere even when it's not "online"? In linux even if the led is unlit the card is at least shown in ifconfig.

I have the same problem with a 4312 card, and did the pin20 and swap slot trick with no luck. The weird part is the kext is loaded, but the card doesn't appear at all.

I think it may be related with the mini pci express port malfunctioning on my laptop. Some guy released different patched IOPCIFamily.kext and IOPCCardFamily.kext that may solve the problem.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=81036&hl=

Let me know if that works for you

The weird part is the kext is loaded, but the card doesn't appear at all.

That's not weird at all. It's normal for a driver that isn't written properly for the hardware it's trying to drive. Getting a kext to load is easy. Getting it to do something useful is not. Nope, not weird at all.

Need DRIVER... :D

Device : Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

Hardware IDS:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&SUBSYS_137D103C&REV_01

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&SUBSYS_137D103C

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&CC_0280

pls help!!

Hi there... I'm pretty New at this, but I have a lot of experience getting bsd and linux drivers to work. I have a Belkin F5d700, v1000 - which is supposed to work with your list, I believe. Problem is, It does'nt even show up as an existing device. I'm running 10.5.1, and your .sh file ran perfectly, but my device still doesn't show up in system profiler or in dmesg. Any ideas?

HI, I have an AUS WG-100g PCMCIA card...

in System profiler it said:

pci14e4,4320:

Type:	Other Network Controller
 Driver Installed:	Yes
 Bus:	PCI
 Slot:	PCI Slot 0@4,0,0
 Vendor ID:	0x14e4
 Device ID:	0x4320
 Subsystem Vendor ID:	0x1043
 Subsystem ID:	0x100f
 Revision ID:	0x0002

pci14e4,4320:

Function:	Network Controller
 Vendor:	Unknown
 Type:	CardBus
 Vendor ID:	5348
 Device ID:	17184

The card is recognized as Airport and works but as b (11Mbs) instead of g (54Mbs)

do you have some idea?

UPDATE:

I thought that it was b because in the menu under the PCMCIA icon it says "Broadcom 802.11b CardBus"

but now I see under NetworkUtility that it says "Link Speed: 54Mbit/s Vendor: unknown Model: Wireless Network Adapter (802.11 b/g)"

is there some utility to check the effective status of the link?

where's the MCSMART gone?? :)

long time no see.....

need help.... :)

compaq v6714tu

Device : Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

Hardware IDS:

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&SUBSYS_137D103C&REV_01

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&SUBSYS_137D103C

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4315&CC_0280

the device not detected, how cud i make that working, -_-

any answer?

is there some utility to check the effective status of the link?

Well, if you get normal g speeds, then it's 802.11g I would think :P

the device not detected, how cud i make that working, :P

Try the latest pre2 version. I have added your device id, however I don't know if your card is even supported. Try it - it could work.

Instead of unzipping, you have to ungzip the archive:

gunzip bcm43xx_enabler_0.5pre2.sh.gz
sudo ./bcm43xx_enabler_0.5pre2.sh

-mcsmart

ran the script...not working.. :rolleyes:

Well, I thought that would happen. You'll probably never have any luck with this card.

hi! I have a dell precision M60 laptop with broadcom 4306 wireless. I ran the script and now the card is recognized as airport, but still appears as not configured. in system profiler it says that is turned off (while of course it isn't) I tried everything in the first page, including the script for the linksys, but no luck with anything. any ideas? thanks

Lads, I'm happy--as one may imagine--to report that my Dell 1395 WiFi card is workingly brilliantly at the moment.

The first shell script did nothing for it, but after I ran the pre2 bit and rebooted, the indicator light appeared next to the media keys and it began detecting networks in seconds. Genius!

Cheers!

Hi, I'm using the Kalyway 10.5.2, with my HP DV8283EA, I've bought a HP Broadcom 4311.

I've tried to get it work, but it has only one time started sucessfully, then i've shutted down my pc and then I'm without wireless card.

Before it works i've inserted my card while my PC was already powered.

Please can anyone help me?

[[[[Cards that are known to work:

• Belkin F5D7000
  • Buffalo WL12-PCI-G545
  • Linksys PCMCIA Card WPC54G
  • Dynex DX-BNBC
  • Probably tons of other cards, as long as they have a supported chipset...

Usage: unzip, open a Terminal window and type 'sudo ./bcm43xx_enabler.sh'. Reboot

It is recommended to install all AirPort-Updates from SoftwareUpdate before running this script.]]]]]

Hi mcsmart,

I have a Belkin F5D7000 wireless G Card, v7000. And I tried the way you said to do it with bcm43xx_enabler_0.5pre2.sh. And I installed the latest Apple Airport Utility which is downloaded from Apple website. But it didn't work. I don't know why.

And you said this .sh only support broadcom chips, right? I checked mine, it's RTL8185L. Device ID viewed in the computer properties Windows XP is "PCI\VEN_1799&DEV_700F&SUBSYS_700F1799&REV_20". I don't know how to tell the ID. And I don't know how to tell its ID in Mac. I think Mac didn't recognize it.

Could you help me on this or give me any advice?

Many thanks,

Simon

hi! I have a dell precision M60 laptop with broadcom 4306 wireless. I ran the script and now the card is recognized as airport, but still appears as not configured. in system profiler it says that is turned off (while of course it isn't) I tried everything in the first page, including the script for the linksys, but no luck with anything. any ideas? thanks
Excuse me for bad english i'm italian.I have the same card 4306 and i have same problem, i have resolved !I have reinstall mac osx with card inserted and so the system has recognized this card and now work properly internal airport card.With Kalyway.

I have find solution easy.

You might also try going to System Preferences -> Network -> Show: popup -> Network Port Configurations.

Delete the Airport entry and quit Preferences. Go back and add Airport (if it doesn't automatically detect it).

I don't have luck with my laptop compaq presario c500 it have a BCM94311MCG that don't work.I see it with lspci -nn but i don't see it into preference.plist and networkinterfaces.plistI have tried put manually but after reboot i see old config, and i'm sure to be save. Device id is correct 14e4:4311 and it is into AppleAirportBrcm4311.kext but dont work!!Anyone can help me?If you want i can post log of lspci.Thank!

Guest BuildSmart

The solution has gotten much better and easier, no more need to edit plist files, just rebrand the card.

Rebranding allows special apple wifi functionality to be enabled.

Link to post about "how to modify" bcm43xx based adapters.

To avoid further issues or confusion this topic should be closed.