Broadcom bcm43xx wireless driver [beta]

mcsmart

860 posts in this topic

Supported Chipsets:
  • All Apple AirPort One Cards
  • 4306, Broadcom BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN (confirmed)
  • 4309, Broadcom BCM4309 802.11 b Wireless LAN
  • 4318, Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN (

you sir, have just made my day. I spent the past 8 hours trying to get the wifi working on my Compaq Presario V4000 with broadcom 4318.

I didt all the manual edits but it didnt work. I used ur file, rebooted and it worked perfectly

thanks again!!

The only issue it seems to me right now is that the wifi is running a bit slow... topic of next investigation :)

mcsmart: I have a Belkin F5D7000 version 2000 desktop wireless card (PCI). I *think* that it should be supported by this hack. The problem that I have is that my wireless card doesn't even show up in OS X under PCI devices. =S I'm running 10.4.8 JaS. Hopefully you can help me. :)

mcsmart,

Thank you for this information / script. It has helped my Broadcom AirForceOne turn up as an AirPort card! It's great that I don't have to rely on the "Built-In Ethernet" connection anymore, but alas, I am still having problems getting the GMA 900 display driver to work, especially with QE enabled.

Here's a big thanks for solving one of my hardware problems, from a n00b OSx86 user.

--

RichX http://www.richx.org

The script worked fine, but my Linksys WPC54G (BCM4318) is still detected as "Unknown Vendor, Network Controller". Any attempt to open Airport or find networks using Internet Connect results in freezing the system.

I do not think it is the PCMCIA drivers, because when I insert a Belkin card it is correctly detected by Airport as "Ralink, RT2500".

I am currently using 10.4.9 and ToH's 8.9.1 kernel, following this path: JaS 10.4.8 SSE2/SSE3/PPF1/PPF2 -> Delta (official) 10.4.9 update -> ToH's SSE2 8.9.1 kernel. System specs are in my signature.

Thank you for your time.

• 4 weeks later...

I installed this enabler and only thing happened was: airport is shown in the top bar and I can see airport in network prefs. I am unable to connect anywhere. Also deleted Airport2.kext which didn't make any difference.

Also tried to swap en0 to en1 and internal en1 to en2.. also integers changed but no difference.

Internal ethernet works fine and i'm now installing apple's airport update to see what will happen.

In system profiler type is shown 0x14E4, 0x1356 for the airport extreme.

I'm using compaq nx6110 with JaS 10.4.8

any help would be apreciated! :D

thanks,

- jani

• 1 month later...
The script worked fine, but my Linksys WPC54G (BCM4318) is still detected as "Unknown Vendor, Network Controller". Any attempt to open Airport or find networks using Internet Connect results in freezing the system.

I do not think it is the PCMCIA drivers, because when I insert a Belkin card it is correctly detected by Airport as "Ralink, RT2500".

I am currently using 10.4.9 and ToH's 8.9.1 kernel, following this path: JaS 10.4.8 SSE2/SSE3/PPF1/PPF2 -> Delta (official) 10.4.9 update -> ToH's SSE2 8.9.1 kernel. System specs are in my signature.

Thank you for your time.

Hi,

I have the same pcmcia card, Linksys WPC54G (hardware version 3). My card have broadcom chipset, BCM4318 with PCI id pci14e4,4318. I have to put my hardware PCI id in AppleAirPortBrcm4311's Info.plist file:-

/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist

If your card have same hardware version, maybe you have same chipset in it.

• 2 weeks later...
I have to put my hardware PCI id in AppleAirPortBrcm4311's Info.plist file:-

/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist

This is what my script is for. Actually this is the only thing it does: it just adds some PCI-IDs.

With Tiger Works great

With Leopard: Kernel Panic!!!

Yeah, I might add Leopard support later. For now only Tiger is supported.

my card is Broadcom BCM4318 802.11b/g Wireless Network Adapter

i'm wondering if this is the same one as that in you post:

" 4318, Broadcom BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN (confirmed)" ?

many thanks

Yes it's the same one. This is actually just the name of the chipset shown by "lspci" under Linux.

regards,

mcsmart

• 2 weeks later...

I got a Dynex DX-BNBC from Best Buy for $35 with a BCM4318 (pci14e4,4318) chipset in it, which is all well and good--I would add this model to the first post, for the sake of forum Newbies and

If I use the Airport utility, it finds nothing. I click on the Airport icon at the top, Airport: Not Configured. If I go to network preferences, click "Assist Me..." and go through the motions, it finds my router and allows me to enter the password. However, next screen it says "cannot connect to internet." So, I close the assistant window and look at network preferences... Connected, with an assigned IP address. All is good. :)

If I go to system profiler, then down to Airport card, it says "AirPort is currently turned off" when I am clearly connected. :P

Still quite odd that Airport is not seeing it correctly. :(

It would be cool if somebody had any ideas as to how to get Airport to be seen as "enabled." Any thoughts?

I would add this model to the first post, for the sake of forum Newbies

Thanks for the hint :D

Well, oddly enough, I rebooted and now its working perfectly. Huh, thats weird. Works absolutely great now. It even automatically connected to my network, with other options. :P

Good to hear. Did you do a reboot in the first place?

I have a 4318, but after running the script I'm still not seeing anything that indicates the wireless card is enabled.

One odd bit -- before running the script, 'Built in Ethernet' in the network panel was dithered out. After running the script, it is available and I can set configuration options for it. I plugged into a wired network w/ dhcp, but it didn't seem to detect it.

Is is possible that, since I don't have a driver yet for my wired ethernet, it is looking at the first ethernet adapter it finds (the wireless, in this case) and assuming it's the 'built in ethernet'?

How could I correct this?

Is is possible that, since I don't have a driver yet for my wired ethernet, it is looking at the first ethernet adapter it finds (the wireless, in this case) and assuming it's the 'built in ethernet'?

How could I correct this?

It looks like that's exactly what's happening. Digging around, I found in the Network Utility the Info section. There, for interface en0, it lists Vendor as "Apple", model as "Wireless Network Adapter".

I'm still trying to get my Yukon 8036 adapter working, but until then, what do I need to do to get the broadcom adapter recognized / configured as an airport card, rather than as en0 ?

From my understanding you just have to set the integer from 0 to 1 in this part of

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

(after modifying the kext)

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>
<integer>0</integer>

This did the trick for me and i could configure the card with Airport. Earlier it was like a simple ethernet device..

@mcsmart:

If you got a modified kext, your script will make it unusable because it just writes the string section and the rest disappears.

Maybe you also could add my earlier post (link)

to the FAQ on the first page. I see thats exactly whats causing many people trouble :)

@mcsmart:

If you got a modified kext, your script will make it unusable because it just writes the string section and the rest disappears.

What do you mean by modified kext? It is recommended to install Apple's AirPort-Update before running the script... Then you should get a vanilla-kext.

Maybe you also could add my earlier post (link)

to the FAQ on the first page. I see thats exactly whats causing many people trouble :(

Thanks for that hint.

Regards,

mcsmart