Broadcom bcm43xx wireless driver [beta]

mcsmart

860 posts in this topic

Hi,

my Dell Truemobile 1490 is partially working on 10.5.4

I can connect to unsecured networks, but whenever I try WEP secured ones I get an error message and I can't connect.

Anyone has this problem too?

Please, any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Ok, BuildSmart helped me with this WEP problem.

Working solution here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=852179

Guest BuildSmart
Ok, BuildSmart helped me with this WEP problem.

Working solution here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=852179

I have been saying this exact thing in all of the Dell posts and you're the first one to actually place a public post about doing it, most get it working and then vanish.

A thank you is not required but sinc you performed the task on your laptop, did you use a Linux Live CD or did you install Linux to perform the change, would you consider putting together a proper little tutorial on how to do it so others with these laptops can achieve the same results, the forum admin can post the tutorial as a sticky making it easy for everyone to find.

I haven't looked at the driver provided by Dell and I can't confirm if you need to mod it or download one from somewhere so you might want to include instructions on fixing the windows driver (it's a small edit to the .inf file) or provide a link to an available WHQL driver so windows can continue to function after the change if it's needed cause most noobs are just that.

Guest BuildSmart
I know I'm a noob I'm 14 and sooooo happy I got iAtkos on my dv5 how do I install this thing? which file? What do i do?!?!?

You don't do anything, it's beyond your skill level and my patience to explain it to you.

Wow thanks, my issue was in terminal I put the ' =). It didn't work for me I have the Intel 5100 which I thought was based on the broadcom but it turns out HP Crapsupport doesn't even know I have the intel they thought I have the broadcom, NEED 5100 HELP IS IT POSSIBLE????!!!!

Hi! JaS 10.5.4 on an Intel DG33TL board. I just bought the Dynex DX-BGDTC wireless PCI card. XP shows Vendor 14E4 with 4318, manufacturer listed as Broadcom. Ubuntu 8.04 and XP SP3 have no problem using this card. OS X is another story...

I successfully ran your script, which added 4318 (among others) to the AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext.

Nothing shows up in System Profiler, no Airport icon. Nothing under PCI devices.

Anything I'm missing? Kudos on all the progress!

help me , i have the mac os x 10.4.5 and i have the laptop aspire 4720z with the bcm 4315 i use the scripts that you make, but it doesn't work, why??? can you help meee

Hey, you not need the script for you only is necessary make two things:

1.- Search in the forum for IOPCIFamily.kext patched by Chun-Nan and download then install with KextHelper

2.- Optional, finish your work with a Authentic AirPort with this guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=776755

or try follow the next steps:

1. Boot up a Linux Live CD or Live USB.

2. Open terminal and check that the bcm43xx linux module is present:

> sudo modprobe bcm43xx

Now, we need the chip firmware:

http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o

We have to extract it to /lib/firmware with the tool bcm43xx-fwcutter

http://prdownload.berlios.de/bcm43xx/bcm43...ter-006.tar.bz2

> tar xvf bcm43xx-fwcutter-006.tar.bz2

> cd bcm43xx-fwcutter-006

> make

> sudo ./bcm43xx-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o

Then, reload the module:

> sudo rmmod bcm43xx

> sudo modeprobe bcm43xx

Now, turn on the card and try it:

> sudo ifconfig ethX up

> sudo iwlist ethX scan

(ethX, X is your interface number)

If you get a list of available networks, the card works fine !

3. Time to hack the card SPROM.

The subsystem vendor id is 0x103c (HP) and the subsystem product id is 0x1363.

In an AirPort the subsystem vendor id is 0x106b (Apple) and the subsystem product id is 0x004e

We just need to change these values in the SPROM, the tool we need:

http://linuxwireless.org/download/bcm43xx/...x-sprom.tar.bz2

> tar xvf bcm43xx-sprom.tar.bz2

> cd bcm43xx-sprom

> make

Now, hack

> sudo iwpriv ethX read_sprom > card_sprom

(ethX, X is your interface number)

> ./ssb-sprom -i card_sprom --subv 0x106b --subp 0x004e > new_sprom

> sudo iwpriv ethX write_sprom $(cat new_sprom)

We check that's all good

> sudo iwpriv ethX read_sprom > sprom_check

> ./ssb-sprom -i sprom_check -P

and look at the subsystem vendor/product ID.

6. Reboot and enjoy !

Regards.

Note: The guide posted here no is mine, i only make minor changes that worked fine for me.

Hi,

It seams like it should be working... I ran the script and everything went well (it says it was successful) but then when I reboot its just the same old thing (no air port in the menu bar), also when I go in to the network preferences there isn't even a airport option. I have a PCI 802.11 card.

Thanks a lot for help!

~Greg

Guest BuildSmart
Hi,

It seams like it should be working... I ran the script and everything went well (it says it was successful) but then when I reboot its just the same old thing (no air port in the menu bar), also when I go in to the network preferences there isn't even a airport option. I have a PCI 802.11 card.

Thanks a lot for help!

~Greg

The lack of information prevents anyone with knowledge or experience from helping you.

You have a PCI card but don't say what model, brand or chipset or if it supports 802.11a/b/g/n and you provide no information about the computer or OS.

As you are finding out, the script only seems to work on about 60% of the cards and while it can provide you with working wireless it may not provide you with stable wireless.

Start by installing PCIUtils v3.0.0 (look in XLabs), provide output for the wireless adapter from the following terminal command:

lspci -vvnn

and:

find /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns

The lack of information prevents anyone with knowledge or experience from helping you.

You have a PCI card but don't say what model, brand or chipset or if it supports 802.11a/b/g/n and you provide no information about the computer or OS.

As you are finding out, the script only seems to work on about 60% of the cards and while it can provide you with working wireless it may not provide you with stable wireless.

Start by installing PCIUtils v3.0.0 (look in XLabs), provide output for the wireless adapter from the following terminal command:

lspci -vvnn

and:

find /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns

thanks for the reply! ok, do you know how you find the model of wireless card, the computer is pretty old and I don't know where the manual is. It is an IBM think pad r50 with a 1.4ghz intel core solo proccessor with 512mb of ram. I'm running the kalyway 10.5.1 os. I'll try what you said.

Thanks!

~Greg

P.S. I assume what you mean by PCIUtils is the download that you posted Here

UPDATE 1:

ok, so i've done everything and it seams like it should be working (no problems with the installation or with the terminal commands) but nothing is different (I don't know what to expect). So I'll poke around the network prefs and reboot to see what I'll come up with.

thanks

UPDATE 1.1:

Any thoughts?

mcsmart

Thanks. Many-many thanks!

bcm43xx_enabler_0.5.1pre.sh.zip This one finally made my Lenovo G410M (it has bcm4311 inside, but on mini pci-e, with soft wifiswitch) online. Wifi is now working and its a miracle )) Cos' it was totally invisible to macos before this enabler and previous versions of enabler didnt work. In all the hack-mac-os-versions - kalyway, ideneb, leoforall - even with broadcom patches etc. But now its fine ) Im sooo happy about it ))

thanks mcsmart, and thanks to every one here.....im finaly connected via AirPort

My Laptop; MSI wind

WLan: Dell 1395 , Device ID: 4315

i run the script and reboot, change the string of 4320 to mine 4315

reboot again and bingoooooo.....thanks again guys

Guest BuildSmart
No ideas? Please throw em out even if there is a small chance of it working, just so I can keep trying. Right now I'm kind of stymie. :'(

Thanks,

~Greg

Due to the lack of provided information no one will be able to help you, I gave instructions and it appears you didn't follow them.

Last time I ask for the information, if you don't provide the info you will be ignored.

Due to the lack of provided information no one will be able to help you, I gave instructions and it appears you didn't follow them.

Last time I ask for the information, if you don't provide the info you will be ignored.

Well thanks for the reply but, evidently you didn't read my post! (scroll up, its the one with a big UPDATE in it) quote: "It is an IBM think pad r50 with a 1.4ghz intel core solo proccessor with 512mb of ram. I'm running the kalyway 10.5.1 os." also I asked how to get more specifics on getting information on the wi-fi card. So I've given all I really know, if you would please ask exactly what information you need and how to get it I would be very appreciative.

I'm a noob at this kind of thing so please cut me a little slack. :)

Thanks in advance,

~Greg

BTW: Of course you could use this card with Linux :unsure: . But the bcm43xx kernel module requires you to install the required firmware manually (using bcm43xx-fwcutter). Since the firmware is not open source it can not be included in a standard Linux distribution. Check the bcm43xx-fwcutter manpage...

Darwin probably crashes because it expects the card to be turned on. There has to be a pretty crappy software power switch in the card you are using. This is the only thing I could think of right now...

Wow, I spent a few hours on this problem. I finally just booted Windows to start the card and then restarted in OS X and it worked. The crappy software power switch was not turning on the card.

Thanks for the help!

Well thanks for the reply but, evidently you didn't read my post!
No, he read it. So did I and about a hundred other people.

It is an IBM think pad r50 with a 1.4ghz intel core solo proccessor with 512mb of ram. I'm running the kalyway 10.5.1 os.
And that's exactly the information that is of no use when you have a problem with device drivers.

I asked how to get more specifics on getting information on the wi-fi card. So I've given all I really know, if you would please ask exactly what information you need and how to get it I would be very appreciative.

I'm a noob at this kind of thing so please cut me a little slack. :)

You only get slack if you're willing to do some of your own research. There are plenty of topics, including a sticky or two, that tell you how to get the pertinent information. You would do well to find and read those topics and learn WHAT those bits of information are and HOW to find the values. The topics aren't hard to find. It would take all of about 10 minutes to find them. There is no excuse for not doing that on your own FIRST and then asking questions SECOND.

It's bad form, especially for a noob, to expect others to spoon-feed them every step of the way.

No, he read it. So did I and about a hundred other people.

And that's exactly the information that is of no use when you have a problem with device drivers.

You only get slack if you're willing to do some of your own research. There are plenty of topics, including a sticky or two, that tell you how to get the pertinent information. You would do well to find and read those topics and learn WHAT those bits of information are and HOW to find the values. The topics aren't hard to find. It would take all of about 10 minutes to find them. There is no excuse for not doing that on your own FIRST and then asking questions SECOND.

It's bad form, especially for a noob, to expect others to spoon-feed them every step of the way.

ok, well sorry for the bad impression, I don't really know what to look for so I guess I'll just look around the web for a few more years on a quest to get wi fi on my comp.

Spare us the drama queen antics and just admit you want someone else to do your homework. The lone bright spot I see here is that your goal is not difficult to achieve for someone with normal intelligence. You'll never get it to work.

hey man i was wondering if the Broadcom bcm4312 was supported i used a leo4allv4 disc to do the install if i need to use a different disc i am willing to get it and do i i have a HP TX2011au lepod works great apart from the fact that it has no internet any help would be much appreciated.