Best bittorrent client for OS X?

3nigma

56 posts in this topic

I don't really like any of these clients, I was formally a windows user and I always used utorrent. So I just use crossover to run utorrent and that seems fine to me.

We all love uTorrent on Windows, but it's nice to have a native OS X app.

-3nigma

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

when i got osx i was using bittorent stable version...then i tired azureus,transmission ...

transmission looks like good choise,but in a last few days just don`t work properly ....

now i using transmission in combination with bittorent beta version (very good)...i will try bitrocket,tnx for the tip ...

~R

Transmission.

SVN Transmission. (Need Selective downloading)

Seems to be a lot of rumors over utorrent on the Mac. One site suggested that some trackers are are already setting up blocks on utorrent on OS X since it was bought by BitTorrent Inc. (Some paranoia about thinking BitTorrent Inc is linked to MPAA)

I'm curious as to anyone that currently is using utorrent through Crossover what kind of quantitative speed difference you are seeing.

I tested it and didn't see a noticeable difference but all the web articles I've read suggest it is remarkably faster.

It's because it has things like Mainline DHT, encryption, and actually maps my ports right (I don't know why, but all the Mac clients tell me that they can't map them because they were already manually mapped.)

Though when I only need to download one or two torrents I use tomato torrent.

i just got my 1st macbook, and im using transmission, but i used to be a "hardcore" windows user and when i torrented on windows, it use a program called peer guardian, is there any program like that for macs? just wonderingg..?

I am using Azureus right now, but I am planning on migrating to rtorrent.

its a ncurses based client (so no fancy GUI, just old command line), its pretty fast and easy to use once you get used to it.

The installation is a bit tricky since you'll need to use darwinports or fink (tried both and I think the darwinports installation is simpler).

It is supposed to use less resources than any other client, however in practice I've seen azureus work pretty fast on mac, so it may be not as good as an option.

Hard core users will find it cool :P

I use Azerus. I find it fast. I did use The Original BitTorrent Client but that was slow (probably not now that it is utorrent rebranded now).

I sometimes use a custom client I built a while back when I need to do something special with the file.

• 2 weeks later...