Vista sales propel Microsoft's profits to almost $5 BILLION

robotskip

31 posts in this topic

No. 1 software maker posts a net profit of $4.93 billion, beating expectations.

Microsoft Corp. posted a 65 percent rise in quarterly profit Thursday, topping Wall Street estimates thanks to better than expected demand for its new Windows Vista operating system.

Shares of Microsoft rose 5 percent after the announcement, in which the world's biggest software company also forecast 2008 profit at the midpoint of a range of analyst estimates.

"The strength of Vista is really driving this," said Kim Caughey, analyst at Fort Pitt Capital Group. She added that the company had set "manageable expectations for the full year 2008, which generally allows them some headroom."

Microsoft posted a net profit of $4.93 billion, or 50 cents per diluted share, in its fiscal third quarter ended March 31 versus a profit of $2.98 billion, or 29 cents per share, in the year-ago period.

Excluding tax benefits and a legal charge, Microsoft earned 49 cents per share, beating the average analyst forecast of 46 cents, according to Reuters Estimates.

Revenue rose 32 percent to $14.4 billion. Analysts, on average, had forecast revenue of $13.89 billion, with estimates ranging from $13.73 billion to $14.09 billion, according to Reuters Estimates.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/26/technology...on=money_latest

Eh, according to the amazing people on the internets I thought they were dying, boy and Vista had horrible sales, am I disappointed. :P

http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/26/technology...on=money_latest

Eh, according to the amazing people on the internets I thought they were dying, boy and Vista had horrible sales, am I disappointed. :)

I thought that vista had bad sales too. All this fuss and disappointment in the in the news and now this....

The pundits predicted a good quarter, but think that the rot goes a lot deeper. Like EFI, I wonder if a lot of those Vista sales are virtual, e.g. licences sold for machines which are now sitting on shelves in Best Buy and where the consumer has no choice. Bundling an OS with a new computer (and charging for the OS, of course) is already unlawful in many countries - that is, they have to offer you the computer at a lower price without the OS if you ask them. That's good news for people who want to run Linux but don't want to build a machine.

Here is an interesting in-depth financial article from yesterday's The Register : Microsoft's Woes which really addresses Microsoft's position. It's a good read whether you love or hate Microsoft.

The pundits predicted a good quarter, but think that the rot goes a lot deeper. Like EFI, I wonder if a lot of those Vista sales are virtual, e.g. licences sold for machines which are now sitting on shelves in Best Buy and where the consumer has no choice. Bundling an OS with a new computer (and charging for the OS, of course) is already unlawful in many countries - that is, they have to offer you the computer at a lower price without the OS if you ask them. That's good news for people who want to run Linux but don't want to build a machine.

Exactly Metrogirl, I agree. My guess is that this number comes from the OEM sales...since the last one about 20 million copies sold in 1 month was including the OEM sales...in which case, Microsoft probably did the same now and these numbers are most likely vastly inflated from what their actual true "Vista sales" numbers are.

This is just a rough way of doing it (so dont flame me)...but 20 million (roughly 1st month of sales) x $240 ( taking the common middle product, which is Vista Home premium) = $4.8 Billion dollars. Now if Vista's sales were still strong...you could multiply those numbers by 1.5 or 2 (for the second or third month of sales), which would give you $7.2 and $9.6 billion respectively....so if Vista only generated $4.93 after almost 4 months, this indicates that either the sales were so poor to begin with...or the sales all of a sudden drastically decreased within a month's time. The former reason makes more sense IMO. I chose Vista home premium, because thats the Vista edition that has a middle price...ultimate is more pricier, and Starter is more cheaper, plus its this version thats coming shipped in most PC manufacturers anyways. Again like I said...this is a pretty rough way of calculating...but It gives the general sense that the numbers most likely include OEM sales. Once you strip the OEM numbers....the true Vista sales look pretty depressing.

Once you strip the OEM numbers....the true Vista sales look pretty depressing.

and that matters to microsoft? theyre still making the cash and putting vista in every freaking pc that comes to consumers allmost, thats how you get marketshare...... unlike apples approach. but.... still, it shows the adoption rate of non oem consumers is lackluster..... couldnt care less though, oem bios in my compaq pc ( yay my new bios! twas a pain to mod though)

@ bwhsh8r - Yeah thats true, but its not fair publicly disclosing you made X amount of money, when people actually havent bought the product yet. lol. Most people dont realize this...and fall for it. Ah well, the world will realize some day...some day.

@ bwhsh8r - Yeah thats true, but its not fair publicly disclosing you made X amount of money, when people actually havent bought the product yet. lol. Most people dont realize this...and fall for it. Ah well, the world will realize some day...some day.

OEM sales are still sales, and profit. It's still out there, and they still make money. Shareholders don't need to relize this some day, as they already do, and it means nothing, except to fanboys like yourself, who all you do is fault one of the world's most successful corportations, and a man who gives more money to charity than anyone else. But you'd rather support the mexican #3 man who says, donations are worthless, and keeps his $48b to himself, wouldn't you?

But you'd rather support the mexican #3 man who says, donations are worthless, and keeps his $48b to himself, wouldn't you?

It's #2 now and the gape is closing (that would be nice, a poor country like México where people still die of starvation, having the richest man on the planet, what a great system, isn't?). Regarding charity, you'd like to know that in México, your loved Billy gave away some millions to some fundations (mostly managed by people relationed with the government, such as Martha de Fox, ex-president's wife) that supposedly were working to bring technology to remote locations. The money was spent buying copies of MS software. Nice deal!

It's #2 now and the gape is closing (that would be nice, a poor country like México where people still die of starvation, having the richest man on the planet, what a great system, isn't?). Regarding charity, you'd like to know that in México, your loved Billy gave away some millions to some fundations (mostly managed by people relationed with the government, such as Martha de Fox, ex-president's wife) that supposedly were working to bring technology to remote locations. The money was spent buying copies of MS software. Nice deal!

Yes, {censored}, let's forget the substantially more in billions he's donated to research of AIDS/HIV and other cures. Let's forget the donations he's made to cure malaria in African children. Let's forget all that, but critisize him on spending money to give technology from his own company, where he might get 10% back of what he spent. The fact is that he dontated (donates still).

"He has derided Gates and Buffett for giving away so much of their wealth, reportedly saying: "Poverty isn't solved with donations," according to Forbes. "

This man is nothing more than a greedy, 67 year old, fatass selfish {censored}.

They don't solve poverty, they help to cure heath in poor countries.

This is getting out of hand. :P If you don't like Vista or any product of MS, fine dont use / buy it.

Hating Bill Gates because he founded MS and getting rich out of it, hey tough luck. All boils down to a simple thing , you envy him. So shut-up already, there is nothing to gain here.

/rant

Yes, {censored}, let's forget the substantially more in billions he's donated to research of AIDS/HIV and other cures. Let's forget the donations he's made to cure malaria in African children. Let's forget all that, but critisize him on spending money to give technology from his own company, where he might get 10% back of what he spent. The fact is that he dontated (donates still).

By your answer, I just can see three choices here:

a) You're Bill Gates IV, and you're just mad because daddy sucks, badly.

b) You're a stupid MS fanboy, and you are unable to dissociate your own poor existence of a corporation made to profit. You will defend Bill and MS whatever the reaseon, against whatever, even when for they you don't even exist. Enjoy your life.

c) You're a kid, saying stupid kids stuff, because you ignore how real world works and you don't realize that charity donations are nothing but fancy ways to evade taxes. Do yourself a favor and unplug your computer and your TV, go and read some books for a change.

"He has derided Gates and Buffett for giving away so much of their wealth, reportedly saying: "Poverty isn't solved with donations," according to Forbes. "

This man is nothing more than a greedy, 67 year old, fatass selfish {censored}.

Carlos Slim (the mexican guy you're talking about) is much worse things that a fat, greedy, old ass. He made his fortune by practicing the most perverted and dirty methods of corruption at all levels.

OEM sales are still sales, and profit. It's still out there, and they still make money. Shareholders don't need to relize this some day, as they already do, and it means nothing, except to fanboys like yourself, who all you do is fault one of the world's most successful corportations, and a man who gives more money to charity than anyone else. But you'd rather support the mexican #3 man who says, donations are worthless, and keeps his $48b to himself, wouldn't you?

First of all, the only reason why Microsoft has the major market share as opposed to Apple was becuase MS beat them to the market in 93...that was the only reason. If apple had gotten off its ass and took M$ as a serious threat in the early 90's...the market share would have been a whole different game now. Add to that, the quality of products that Apple releses from the hardware to the software is more realiable than anything Microsoft has producted in the past, and even today...so its windows fanboys like your self making childish "all hail to Microsoft comments" like this that freakin pisses the :P out of me. Bill Gates does give more to charity than Steve Jobs...there is no denying that whatsoever, but that being said...he somehow manages to drag his windows into the picture as well. If he was a true donator...he would completely leave WIndows out of the picture, and concentrate on just the medical, shelter, and food perspectives of the poor nations. He could come up with a deal with LInux, which is free, and give that to the developing nations, where they dont have to pay to use a software. One dollar is nothing in North America and parts of europe Europe...but you would be surprised how much 1$ coudl get you in countries like Nigeria, Uganda, Columbia, Georgia Republic, Romania, Zimbabwe, Tajikstan, Sierra Leone, etc, etc.

Bill Gates recently made a deal to sell Windows Starter Edition to developing nations like I mentioned above for 1$. This is what I mean by bringing in windows into everything. He could have gave Linx for free. This would also help Linux, and give a more open perspective towards Microsoft. Plus how much is the software going to cost? that was never mentioned in the deal.

As for more money than everyone else...thats just completely wrong, and pure fanboysism at the most. The upmost credit should go towards Warren Buffet. It was him who donated the majority of the money (31 Billion) that is being sent from Bill and Melinda Gates Foundtation. Bill Gates as himself did not contribute to the same amount as Warren Buffet did (although he did more than Steve Jobs). The Gates foundation only had $29 Billion....while Warren Buffet added another $31 Billion to that.

Again, Steve Jobs does not donate as much as Bill Gates does (infact not even a fraction)...which I will admit. That being said, you have to look at other factors as well. Look at the corporate revenue and net worth of Microsoft, and compare that to Apple. Microsoft can afford to some degree towards this measure of giving (with a catch, ofcourse)...but Apple is not yet in that position (though they could do something about it). Bill Gates is worth $53 Billion, while Steve Jobs is worth $4.9 Billion. So you cant compare the magnitude between them two sadly.

Weird. I only know 1 person who bought Vista, and thats because he's a complete retard.

The other 100 windows users I know, didn't buy, and don't plan too.

By your answer, I just can see three choices here:

b) You're a stupid MS fanboy, and you are unable to dissociate your own poor existence of a corporation made to profit. You will defend Bill and MS whatever the reaseon, against whatever, even when for they you don't even exist. Enjoy your life.

c) You're a kid, saying stupid kids stuff, because you ignore how real world works and you don't realize that charity donations are nothing but fancy ways to evade taxes. Do yourself a favor and unplug your computer and your TV, go and read some books for a change.

Carlos Slim (the mexican guy you're talking about) is much worse things that a fat, greedy, old ass. He made his fortune by practicing the most perverted and dirty methods of corruption at all levels.

your a itiot.. you proved that twice in this thread.. how aobut u unplug you pc and tv and go read a book?

you totaly envi Gates and wish u were as rich as him instead you what 12 years old still struging to get thur school and still trying ot get a girl.

so how about shut up... grow up... come up with a idea like Gates did in the 80s/90s do it and then become sucessful.

and ps no one on here is a MS Fanboy considering this is a OSX Fanboy site..... only a itiot would flame him self as a MS fanboy in a non MS fansite to fustrate other people adn to be a ass. Last I checked no one doing that. People are just telling it like it is and then stupied people like u don;t grasp {censored} and then and understand {censored} and then turn around and flame over people becuz there smarter then u.

PS if ever one think Gates is greedy look at Opra and other people. Remmebr Gates is not the only person that lives in the USA

--------------

to the aobve person I own Legal Copys of Ulitame Edtion and Home Periume

and were not cometuer itiot cuz we upgrade to vista infact were smart..... people that think upgrading to vista are retareds but infact there retareds them self as they totaly have no idea how vista works and what it can really do and no its no a XP Upgrade/Ripoff its infact a new OS althoger......

unlike linux peopel thing Fedroa core 1 thur fedora core 7 are diffrent os infact there the same OS.. A New OS is defined by a new kernal. if there no new knernal its a update not a new OS. So as for linux gose untill they hit kernal 3.0.0.0 all the linux out there and new ones to come are not new OS ther jsut updates.....

talk about kernals Vista is in fact getting a new kneral in SP1. Its going to match kernal version that Longhorn will have when it gets relased. so in sp1 vista SP1 will be a new os all over again...

and right there is the reson why we and or people should upgrade is infact of the new kernal.

your a itiot..

First of all, its spelt as "Idiot"...and secondly there are Microsoft fanboys in this site...I can name 3 off the top of my head from just being here for 3 weeks.

1. Track09

2. RobotSkip

3. Vertigo50

Just becuse its primarily OS X centered site doesn't mean its got no members who use Windows (XP/Vista). There is a seperate section for Windows here.

and were not cometuer itiot cuz we upgrade to vista infact were smart.

I understood the last 5 words...but everything before that could give the last 5 words a completely different meaning.

If you love Vista so much...why dont you just go to the MSDN forums...and chat with fellow windows users there?

If you love Vista so much...why dont you just go to the MSDN forums...and chat with fellow windows users there?

Thats a bit cold ( I love Vista, but I do see where your coming from ).. But either way, Maddoggyca's argument sucked. Thats one thing I hate about Mac/PC arguments ( not nessecerily in this thread ), but you get this blind followers who suck in everything and spit it back out. I can't stand parrots like that.

Thats a bit cold ( I love Vista, but I do see where your coming from ).. But either way, Maddoggyca's argument sucked. Thats one thing I hate about Mac/PC arguments ( not nessecerily in this thread ), but you get this blind followers who suck in everything and spit it back out. I can't stand parrots like that.

Well said, I agree with you. Infact your probably one of the open more knoledged windows users here. I like it. I too hate blind followers, thats what ticks me off, so I understand perfectly what your saying. I personally dont have anything against Windows users whatsoever...but when they go AHAHMacs sucks blah blah blah...thats when I go all out offensive. I use windows for gaming, so I know its advantages as well. I just hate it when people pick sides, thats when you know the thread is going to go downhill. :P:) .

Well said, I agree with you. Infact your probably one of the open more knoledged windows users here. I like it. I too hate blind followers, thats what ticks me off, so I understand perfectly what your saying. I personally dont have anything against Windows users whatsoever...but when they go AHAHMacs sucks blah blah blah...thats when I go all out offensive. I use windows for gaming, so I know its advantages as well. I just hate it when people pick sides, thats when you know the thread is going to go downhill. :P:) .
Thanks, thats very kind of you.

" I just hate it when people pick sides, thats when you know the thread is going to go downhill"

Yeah thats a clear indicator lol.

" I use windows for gaming,"

Best platform there is, and I think Direct X 10 is going to keep it that way.

your a itiot.. you proved that twice in this thread.. how aobut u unplug you pc and tv and go read a book?

you totaly envi Gates and wish u were as rich as him instead you what 12 years old still struging to get thur school and still trying ot get a girl.

:P:hysterical:

You dude seriously need help. There is a whole world out there, you know? I'm 31, I'm happily married (with children), I have a job I like as web developer and I'm sure I've read much more books than you and your entire family will ever do :)

Your post is so cryptic and poorly spelt that the rest don't even deserves a reply. Goodbye MS haters and lovers, enough waste of time for me :)

Bill Gates far from sucks. He's a great businessman, who is far more successful than you are, sitting behind your little computer.

Look who's lashing out now. I wasn't, but you are the one who is. You will attack Bill and MS with whatever the reason, and defend Steve and Apple at whatever reason.

Actually, I am probably far more educated than you, judging by the nonsensical tyrades you go on, and your lack of depth. Bill Gates donated more than he'll ever recieve in tax exemption, and the like. I DOUBT he founded a whole foundation, with worldwide recognition, to get out of taxes. Yes, a $60b foundation to get out of the whole little he has to pay in taxes. Congrats, proteo becomes the first one to discover this! He decided to shift his work from Microsoft, to full time, AT GETTING TAX EXEMPTIONS.

Bill Gates recently made a deal to sell Windows Starter Edition to developing nations like I mentioned above for 1$. This is what I mean by bringing in windows into everything. He could have gave Linx for free. This would also help Linux, and give a more open perspective towards Microsoft. Plus how much is the software going to cost? that was never mentioned in the deal.

Come on, you want a technology corporate chairman, to give a worldwide push to his competitor. You know that's a ridiculous and idiotic move, and would be stupid. He wants to expand his product, great, and he's doing it very, very affordably. To say that Microsoft's chairman should push another product would make him look very hypocritical. Again, you're letting the software side of things influence how you feel about his philanthropy.

As for more money than everyone else...thats just completely wrong, and pure fanboysism at the most. The upmost credit should go towards Warren Buffet. It was him who donated the majority of the money (31 Billion) that is being sent from Bill and Melinda Gates Foundtation. Bill Gates as himself did not contribute to the same amount as Warren Buffet did (although he did more than Steve Jobs). The Gates foundation only had $29 Billion....while Warren Buffet added another $31 Billion to that.

Except that Bill Gates donated billions before he started his foundation. There. I respect Buffet and Gates for what they both do, and the point is, they both donate tons of their own money, to great causes, and only the biggest of Apple fanboy's could see this as more of a problem than keeping the money.

Again, Steve Jobs does not donate as much as Bill Gates does (infact not even a fraction)...which I will admit. That being said, you have to look at other factors as well. Look at the corporate revenue and net worth of Microsoft, and compare that to Apple. Microsoft can afford to some degree towards this measure of giving (with a catch, ofcourse)...but Apple is not yet in that position (though they could do something about it). Bill Gates is worth $53 Billion, while Steve Jobs is worth $4.9 Billion. So you cant compare the magnitude between them two sadly.

No, but you can compare the percentage donated from them.

I too hate blind followers, thats what ticks me off, so I understand perfectly what your saying. I personally dont have anything against Windows users whatsoever...but when they go AHAHMacs sucks blah blah blah...thats when I go all out offensive. I use windows for gaming, so I know its advantages as well. I just hate it when people pick sides, thats when you know the thread is going to go downhill

I agree with you there. I hate blind followers, I don't support one OS any more than another, but it bothers me when OS X users say how "This is more ellegant" "Vista is teh warmed over Xp", "UAC askz u for teh everythingz", and follow Apple's image of Vista more than what's true. I hate people who blindly love everything Steve Jobs says, and refuse to recognize those fundemental flaws that OS X has too. (Windows has it's share).