Radeon Xpress 200M

thedopefishlives

483 posts in this topic

I think so

These kexts are able to modify Radeon GPU Register 0xf8 that used by ATIRadeon9700.kext as dedicated video memory size. Some users got QE on the 200M when F8=3Mb :P

No. It is not a reason.

The really reason is shared memory and new location of PCIeGart differs from any other Radeons

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Radeon200M...tegoryHardware)

Okay about the architectural issues:

$ file /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700
/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700 (for architecture ppc):	Mach-O object ppc
/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700 (for architecture i386):	Mach-O object i386

So I went and checked all *9700*-files in /System/Library/Extensions, here are the results:

Name						  | Version		  | Universal?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
ATIRadeon9700.kext			| 1.5.36.25 (6277) | YES
ATIRadeon9700DVDDriver.bundle | 1.5.36.25 (6277) | YES
ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin		| 1.5.36.25 (6277) | YES
ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle  | 1.5.36.25 (6277) | NO (PowerPC only)
ATIRadeon9700VADriver.bundle  | 1.5.36.25 (6277) | NO (PowerPC only)

The only thing I don't know is whether these files are vanilla ones (aka not modified - I'm using XxX 10.5.6 final) and how they interact with each other.

About the DRI Wiki site you mentioned - it has been last edited about 1 year ago. Meanwhile DRI and compiz are working with the open source drivers on linux so maybe the register secrets are now revealed?

Okay about the architectural issues:

$ file /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700
/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700 (for architecture ppc):	Mach-O object ppc
/System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Contents/MacOS/ATIRadeon9700 (for architecture i386):	Mach-O object i386

So I went and checked all *9700*-files in /System/Library/Extensions, here are the results:

Name						  | Version		  | Universal?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
ATIRadeon9700.kext			| 1.5.36.25 (6277) | YES
ATIRadeon9700DVDDriver.bundle | 1.5.36.25 (6277) | YES
ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin		| 1.5.36.25 (6277) | YES
ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle  | 1.5.36.25 (6277) | NO (PowerPC only)
ATIRadeon9700VADriver.bundle  | 1.5.36.25 (6277) | NO (PowerPC only)

Yes, I know. One of the possible ways is to substitute ATIRadeon9700GLDriver.bundle by the same ATIRadeonX1000GLDriver.bundle with renaming X1000->9700. It works with some issues. But other problems still exist.

The only thing I don't know is whether these files are vanilla ones (aka not modified - I'm using XxX 10.5.6 final) and how they interact with each other.

About the DRI Wiki site you mentioned - it has been last edited about 1 year ago. Meanwhile DRI and compiz are working with the open source drivers on linux so maybe the register secrets are now revealed?

No register secrets in Linux, but how we can apply the knowledge to ATIRadeon9700.kext?

PCIeGART is accessible by indirect registers 168,16c that is not used by MacOSX drivers. They used registers 0xAB0 and indirect 30,34. Who can make such binary patch? I can show a way...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anybody can CONFIRM this information????

The ATI 200M 1100 run with QE/CI in MAC OSX 10.4 (Tiger)???? The problem is only Leopard OS?

Please... there are 2 yrs wainting... don't forget us!.. A lot of people have this Card on Notebook.

PS: Sorry my English

I have a HP DV 8000 and I've put the motherboard and the screen in the 17" iMac G5 (because the G5 had bad motherboard) case and it's looks beautiful good but right now did the ATI Xpress 200 can handle QE and CI or only QE ??? Have there a way to get QE have there a .kext because QE is the only thing that I don't use OSX on this Laptop and Windows with a laptop are in a iMac G5 case isn't beautiful ...

Sorry for my bad English because i'm young french teenager

Thank for reply !

• 4 weeks later...

hello got a hp dv 5120 laptop and was wondering the same thing is there a way i can install a this os on my laptop . i have the same video card as you guys are stating a few posts back i saw someone got it working ..if it does work i would love to put it on mine. can anyone confirm this.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

ok as ive looked through this thread ive noticed that some people have got QE/CI working with x200 and I know how to instal kext and what not as im a developer. but it would help if i had the kexts. so if any one has full working QE/CI working on the x200 i would love to have the info on how they actually did it as i would like to on my leo.

• 2 months later...
Yea... this would be great (i have a xpress x1150) , because i have gived up the fight after one week

to the one, having xpress x1150: do you have ATOMBIOS message at boot time with your card? if yes, you have a chance to get native resolution support. see the following link

for all others, having original x200M: major issue is - this chipset is pre-ATOMBIOS one, so it needs to be initialized proprietary, and this initialization not included yet

ROFL! This thread is just a joke at this point. It has been almost three years (since 10.4.3 was released!) that myself and several other people tried to get QE/CI working on this chipset. Eventually I gave up when I got a G950 based lappy but others continued their struggle. The bottom line is by the time anyone (if they are even still working on it) gets this chipset to work we will probably be well on our way to 10.8 and any laptop running an x200 will probably be the equivalent of a P-III today.

I hate to be a downer, but someone needs to inject a bit of realism here since people keep asking when is it going to work.....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was curious if there is a solution to at least get resolution changes with this chipset and Snow Leopard. I've been trying to use Castillo008 to get it to work. When I boot SL with -v, I get Castillo seeing my graphics chipset as ATI Radeon Mobility 200M. However, it attempts to load the desktop and all that I get is white dots on a black background. If there is a solution that I'm unaware of, I would appreciate it. I accept that QE/CI doesn't work with this chipset, but a larger resolution would be nice.