Multiple Sources Expect Intel Macs in January

Swad

17 posts in this topic

For those holding out for an Intel Mac, don't spend too much this Christmas - multiple rumor sites report that insiders tell them to expect the first Mac based on Intel chips in January. Apparently, Apple wants to surprise the computing world with the new Macs ahead of schedule. This makes perfect sense, especially since the x86 version of the OS has now reached parity (for the most part) with its PowerPC predecessor.

From AppleInsider:

"Sources say at least one of the two aforementioned Intel Macs appears to be based around Intel's upcoming dual-core 'Yonah' mobile processor, which is expected to top-out at 2.16 GHz in its initial rev. However, further processor specifications remain largely unconfirmed at this time. [...]"

"The analyst went on to say that Apple is likely to ship Intel chips inside consumer-oriented products -- like laptops -- first, because the company tends to include with those computers most of the software consumers initially need and want. "I see mostly benefit if applications like iLife are ready for Intel processors," Wilcox added. High-end applications not yet compiled natively for the first Intel Macs will continue to run seamlessly -- albeit slightly slower -- via Apple's integral Rosetta technology."

This is basically what I have been expecting, the public release of Intel Macs sooner rather than later.

But if the statements that x86 10.4.3 is far from PPC 10.4.3 in other threads are true, Apple has a lot off to work to do before January.

Otherwise, I am going to very interested to see if Apple sticks with Intel for GPU's in the first round of Intel Mac releases or not.

Yeah, I'm curious about the GPU thing too.

But, I think that the important thing to realize about the version parity is that while there are still a lot of things that are different, we've gotten to the point now where the essential parts are the same. There will always be differences, so no one will ever be able to say that they're exactly the same.

But when it comes to the things that the average user looks at, they won't notice much difference. Give Apple another month to polish and it'll be more than ready.

I think that by rolling out one or two low-end models early, Apple gets a lot of good testing and buys some time for them to get it right for the power users as well.

The other thing is, that it is very important stragetically for Apple to get this transition over, or rather started in earnest, as soon as possible. We certainly know they are in possition release OSx86 to the public in January. Moreover, I can see Apple taking a nice bite of out the Windows hardware market, like Dell and HP, with these systems, so I am expecting Apple to be more profitable with Intel even in the short term.

I suppose we should start to contemplate what version of Tiger, the first public x86 release will be. My guess is that it will be 10.4.5.

Actually, the rumor-reports indicate that prices will indeed drop. If we actually see Apple sticking Intel GPU's that may be part of the reason why, otherwise it is unclear if Intel has discounted CPU for Apple that much (note, that G4's and G5's are supposed to be very price competitive).

Otherwise, I would not assume an Intel iMac will be introduced in the first round, but it certainly is possible.

Guest pcharles25

A dual core iBook would be very powerful. I know there is a intel processor(2006) that will be able to run multiple operating systems at the same time. Something kinda like ZEN... I would love to have a Dual core 2 GIG + Apple Laptop, It will be very powerful. Like everyone mentioned, curious about the GPU... I have a gut feeling that will use a Geforce GO or a ATI Mobil variant. It would be totally stilly to stick with intel GPU, (its {censored})

Apple laptops are known for extended battery life. 4 to 6 hrs...

Now that my thought process is going... I bet the first laptops are going to be Power Book, Because They are going to intel for more Power. At this point apple marketing is working because what ever it is people are going to rush to the store and buy one.

(mindless consumer) *I JUST GOTTA HAVE ONE* Oooooh a PSP, Oooooh A NANO, Ooooh A iPod Video, Bluetooth phone, Bluetooth Headset, Bluetooth earphones,

Hey Steve, Bluetooth Mighty Mouse please...

:D

Pricing will be interesting since they will have similar hardware to PeeCees it will be harder for Apple to explain the mark-up when it's much easier for everyday consumers to check specs. Rather than relying on the mhz myth, theres still no denying the quality , industrial design and OS/software plus ability to dualboot etc.

Def be Powerbook and ibook then mini with same specs later down the road as they update the notebooks to higher. A new widescreen display and form factor is what I am expecting.

This will be HUGE so I don't think Apple will be able to use this as a test (although what rev 1 prod isn't from Apple hah). If it's not smooth and the price isn't right there will be a lot of bad press.

...applications not yet compiled natively for the first Intel Macs will continue to run seamlessly -- albeit slightly slower...

"Slightly" is a bit of an overstatement. Surprisingly quick for an emulator would be a better description.

Perhaps it's the beer speaking, but a random neuron just fired! How long will it be before we start seeing "Mod Chips" to add to PC boards that will fake the "Tamper proof" OS X?

It all depends on how tough a nut the final version of OS X is to crack. Alternatively, it might be possible to make a software abstraction of "Official Hardware" (i.e. a self-contained emulator that requires no host OS) that sits between the real hardware and uncracked copy of OS X. Perhaps these same clever hackers can manage to squeeze such an emulator into the BIOS of select mobos, making everything completely transparent. Or, perhaps I just havn't consumed enough alcohol. Pass me that beer!

all I want is a Mactel motherboard, or a copy of OSX86 that's not restrictive. Hopefully the new macs will be ATX... which I doubt

The closest you'll never see is the modified ATX motherboard in the developer machines. Apple does not believe in dedicated form factors. Not elegant for Jobs & Ives.

• 3 weeks later...