Update hackintosh 10.4.8 to 10.4.9 and 10.4.9 to 10.4.10 INTEL ONLY

Dr. Hurt

471 posts in this topic

I updated to 10.4.9 using the Intel Delta Update. It works, but this update is not compatible with the ATI 9700 kext. The kext does not load, which means no support for Core Image and Quartz Extreme.

I am using a Radeon 9700pro card.

Are there any solutions, or should I go back to 10.4.8?

SUCCESS!!!

THANKS to ahmad for the guide. I followed it very well. My update to 10.4.9 and 8.9.1 kernel was a success. Just followed the instructions carefully, copy & pasted terminal commands from the guide and then restart my computer.

I followed the guide from Ahdmad and used delta update downloaded from the bays of pirate and not from apl web site.

It only took a while and my computer booted up with this:

ok, good for you. I followed the instructions very well too. are you implying that the delta from apl and the bays are different? that may explain the problems I have?

thanks

I update from jas 10.4.8 to 10.4.9. The computer is ok. but the sound panic. I check the version. it show to screen is 10.4.9 & kernel 8.9.1. How to fix the sound panic... Please help

:rolleyes: What to say...?! Thank You! Did all the mentioned steps and ... It works...!

My PC is:

Dell Precision 670

3.2Ghz Xeon x2

2GB RAM DDR2 400Mhz

4x500GB Maxtor SATA II

QuadroFX 3400 (via Natit) + dual Dell 2001F LCD via DVI

M-Audio Conectiv + AC97 built-in audio...

Dell runing OS X 10.4.9 :thumbsdown_anim: Wiht 8.9.1 kernel :thumbsdown_anim:

Great Job there, Ahmad!

I successfully updated to 10.4.9 using the combo-update (for I were noob enogh, not to find the Delta :thumbsdown_anim: ) and it worked fantastic, thanx to your guide! :D:rolleyes:

I started using OS X just yesterday and found it very familiar, for I'm an Amiga-Veteran. (I work with computers since 1985, so I'm not a complete PC-Fool) :thumbsdown_anim:

Now I am hanging with your kernel instructions, caused by my sometimes not very good ability to understand english instructions (I am from Germany, for that may be an excuse... :thumbsdown_anim: ), although my english is proven to be very good anyway. :thumbsdown_anim:

You advise to 1st back up the system.kext, what I did so. :thumbsdown_anim:

Then to "Open your update DMG and open the .pkg with pacifist."

Next to "Select system>library>extensions>system.kext (ONLY THIS KEXT) and klick install."

That is my problem: Means "Open your update DMG" some file like update.dmg? If so, wich one and where do I find it? :thumbsdown_anim:

Where do I have afterwards to "Select system>library>extensions>system.kext"? On my harddrive or inside the .pkg using pacifist?! :thumbsdown_anim:

Where should I "klick install" then? Inside Pacifist? Or from Kontext-Menue, rightklicking on system.kext?! :thumbsdown_anim:

Please explain this to a clumsy (Mac)-noob like me. :thumbsdown_anim:

Kind regards

jester511

Since i followed the instruction of Ahmad, i downloaded and installed the update from apls website, i chose the one for mac intel.

That causes my pc not to boot, I re-installed osx and used the delta update downloaded from the bays of pirate, with Ahmads instruction I updated my osx to x.4.9 and the kernel too.

ok, good for you. I followed the instructions very well too. are you implying that the delta from apl and the bays are different? that may explain the problems I have?

thanks

Since i followed the instruction of Ahmad, i downloaded and installed the update from apls website, i chose the one for mac intel.

That causes my pc not to boot, I re-installed osx and used the delta update downloaded from the bays of pirate, with Ahmads instruction I updated my osx to x.4.9 and the kernel too.

Hi Ahmad,

I just wanted to let you know I'm very pleased with your guide! It helped me to update to 10.4.9 from a JaS 10.4.8. His auto-updater didn't work for me since I only have SSE2 and the kernel he bundled with that needs SSE3.

The system feels faster and hasn't crashed yet... thanks again!

You are the genius.

Thanks a lot. :D java script:add_smilie(%22:)%22,%22smid_13%22)

First I updated without new kernel.

Then I updated the kernel.

And it worked like a charm.After so many tries/failures before.

Screen.tiff

just want to tell everybody that I am not stupid. I followed Ahmad's instructions to the letter. it specifically says 10.4.9 Delta updater (from Apple's website). I searched for a delta update on the bay but was not successfull yet. can you give me a name hint please?

why would that be different than the one from apple anyway? or what exactly is different?

ok, found one uploaded on 02-19 16:08 166.77 MiB . is that the correct one?

just want to tell everybody that I am not stupid. I followed Ahmad's instructions to the letter. it specifically says 10.4.9 Delta updater (from Apple's website). I searched for a delta update on the bay but was not successfull yet. can you give me a name hint please?

why would that be different than the one from apple anyway? or what exactly is different?

ok, found one uploaded on 02-19 16:08 166.77 MiB . is that the correct one?

OK, what's so hard about finding the update.

Here's the link: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/mac...pdateintel.html

@the great deceiver:

Good Morning,

As I replied, I dowloaded the file "MacOSXUpdCombo10.4.9Intel.dmg" filesize under XP-Explorer is 315547 kB.

This file, as I installed it on my 10.4.8 installation, said it were designed to update OSX from v10.4.1 to 10.4.7.

I didn't care about it anyway and used it on my OSX and it just worked fine for me.

Maybe you give that a try, too?

As for your question what the exactly difference between the Combo and Delta is: Both will do exactly the same, so it doesn't make a difference wich one you'll coose to download (apart from the size to download ;) ).

The Delta-Update will only be able to update OS X v10.4.8 to 10.4.9!

It is NOT possible to use it for versions underneath that!

One must understand the updateprocedures of different users from publisher eyes:

One user buys a game, lets say Diablo II, with version 1.00 at the release date.

The publisher releases from that time updates for v1.01, v1.02, v1.03 and so on.

That specific user chose to be up to date for each version and updates the first month from v1.00 to v1.01, next month from v1.01 to v1.02 and then from v1.02 to 1.03, wich made sense for him.

An other user chose to buy that game with v1.00 at a time, were the update for v1.03 was already released.

So for him it would be a stupid thing to procede the same way as the first user, for that would take some time and he would curse the hell out of him. (I would do so...) :shock:

Thats why the publisher chose to build a second update beside the last one, specifically for those users: This one would be able to update to v1.03 from any previous version and has got a bigger filesize.

The user would just download one file, update and be happy at all.

As you'll see, same thing with Apples OS X v10.4.9 update

As for your GMA950 I'm not able to give any advise, for I don't have onboard-graphics at all, sorry.

People that weren't able to spot the mentioned Delta-Update:

You'll find it on the Apple Homepage!

But it's not called Delta at all (don't understand all that mumbling of a Delta-Update anyway :P ) so why should anybody rename it for forum use and drive clumsy users mad... :D

Just klick on the Tab "Support", then on the pink line press Downloads spot for the Date 3/13/2007 and pick the file "Mac OS X 10.4.9 Update (Intel)" with the size of 160 MB. :)

This will only update v10.4.8 to v10.4.9! So if you're with some previous version this one is not for you! You'll choose "Mac OS X 10.4.9 Combo Update (Intel)" with the size 310 MB instead.

For the love of humanity people.....

What's all this fuss about the update???!!! :)

The small 160MB update is called the delta update: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304821

Sorry if you didn't know that it was called delta. I put the link in the instructions to ease the job a little.

It's designed to update 10.4.8 (ONLY) to 10.4.9!!! You don't need the combo update because you already have most of the you components in it already updated. It's just a waste of time. It's designed for people who have versions as old as 10.4.1!! So it has tons of useless stuff.

Thanks to Ahmad I was finally successful. ;)

I used the mach_kernel_sse3 from irc and it's running well. :D

Here's my screenshot:

Mac_Screenshot.tiff

Only one crash in the last hour, but I think that has other (hardware)reasons... :angel:

Your welcome

Lol....

16 year old crack like me..... Haha :hysterical:

For the love of humanity people.....

What's all this fuss about the update???!!! :)

The small 160MB update is called the delta update: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304821

Sorry if you didn't know that it was called delta. I put the link in the instructions to ease the job a little.

It's designed to update 10.4.8 (ONLY) to 10.4.9!!! You don't need the combo update because you already have most of the you components in it already updated. It's just a waste of time. It's designed for people who have versions as old as 10.4.1!! So it has tons of useless stuff.

ok, clarification. It has been mentioned that the delta from apple directly may not work, but the one from the bay will work. I got the one from apple and yes I did get the 160mb file that updates only .8 to .9. everything is working except that my screen is blank after the update. I am not even able to apply the new kernel. There was somebody else here with the same problem (Johny18). Now I am told that there is no difference between the delta and the update from apple. That must mean that it will give me the same problem if I update.

one more time:

1) update from .8 to .9 with the file you list above gives me black screen after update finishes (I am not the only one)

2) somebody tells me here that I need the file from the bay and not the apple site.

3) I got the delta from the bay and now my question is whether I will face the same problem?

apparently there is no difference as just stated, so that means I should not update. my comments have been turned upside down. As I have posted before, I found the correct files and my question is stated in 3).

thanks Ahmad for putting the guide together. Seems to work for most.

The upgrade went great on my dell d600. I had to fix the network but it worked. Even the security update from mac installed superbly. I have only one question. There are some kext that can be found in my main mac partition next to the application folder, next to documents, etc. Can i delete those? I mean: AppleACPIplatform.kext AppleAPIC.kext AppleSMBIOS.kext IOATAFamily.kext system.kext and the mach_kernel. If i can please tell me and wich ones? Thanks ahmad.

AWSOME UPDATE...

ok, clarification. It has been mentioned that the delta from apple directly may not work, but the one from the bay will work. I got the one from apple and yes I did get the 160mb file that updates only .8 to .9. everything is working except that my screen is blank after the update. I am not even able to apply the new kernel. There was somebody else here with the same problem (Johny18). Now I am told that there is no difference between the delta and the update from apple. That must mean that it will give me the same problem if I update.

one more time:

1) update from .8 to .9 with the file you list above gives me black screen after update finishes (I am not the only one)

2) somebody tells me here that I need the file from the bay and not the apple site.

3) I got the delta from the bay and now my question is whether I will face the same problem?

apparently there is no difference as just stated, so that means I should not update. my comments have been turned upside down. As I have posted before, I found the correct files and my question is stated in 3).

thanks Ahmad for putting the guide together. Seems to work for most.

People, correct me if Im wrong. But In my opinion, the update that I successfully used and the update from apple's web site are two different things. Look here, my update version states:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.9 (8P2127) - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=11543

While the one downloaded from Apple's Web site states:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.9 (8P2137) , this is based from pvil's screenshot (thanks pvil !!!) http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=11502

The one that I downloaded from apple's website gave me the problem not to boot at all. While the one that I downloaded from torrent sites (which I think are two different versions) works successfully for my system. The update from apple is for power pc's and Intel based mac. It wont work with AMD based cpu's, unless you use tubegirls update or MYZAR's 10.4.9 update for AMD based systems.

The one I used which was downloaded from a torrent site works well with my system (see specs below) and it did'nt even crashed until now, except that I dont still have QE or CI on my built-in graphics, as well as, with my mx4000 agp card.

So, people who were encountering problem with apple's 10.4.9 update, try googling for mac os x 10.4.9 update with 8P2127 version. You can find it, use your imagination.

THANK FOR THE GUIDE AHMAD!!!

---------------------------------------

Specs

CPU = Intel Celeron 2.4ghz

Mobo = Asrock with Intel 845 chipset

with IDE ATA Drives

post-101620-1178883383_thumb.jpg

People, correct me if Im wrong. But In my opinion, the update that I successfully used and the update from apple's web site are two different things. Look here, my update version states:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.9 (8P2127)

While the one downloaded from Apple's Web site states:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.9 (8P2137) , this is based from pvil's screenshot (thanks pvil !!!)

thank you boinkytwo, it is making more sense to me now. besides the numbers, the one from the bay is larger also (174mb).

thank you boinkytwo, it is making more sense to me now. besides the numbers, the one from the bay is larger also (174mb).

Well, havent you downloaded the file yet? Surely you'll find it.

It worked very smoothly in my machine. Let's try yours if It'll work

The upgrade went great on my dell d600. I had to fix the network but it worked. Even the security update from mac installed superbly. I have only one question. There are some kext that can be found in my main mac partition next to the application folder, next to documents, etc. Can i delete those? I mean: AppleACPIplatform.kext AppleAPIC.kext AppleSMBIOS.kext IOATAFamily.kext system.kext and the mach_kernel. If i can please tell me and wich ones? Thanks ahmad.

AWSOME UPDATE...

Delete everything EXCEPT for the mach_kernel

;) After serious consideration and having nothing to do this evening, I decided to take the plunge and update to 10.4.9. Everything went without a hitch thanks to Ahmad's excellent directions and the rest of the thread. XBench didn't show any improvements as it was evident for some of guys.

post-103893-1179200423_thumb.png

My setup is a Dell XPS 400 with Dual Displays on GeForce 7600 GS, WD 250GB SATA drives. I had a problem with Sigmatel audio but thanks to this post the audio issue was resolved quickly.

I do have any issue and I posted it in the forum with no replies so far. I have a Sony DVD Rom and a Phillips DVD RW set as Master and Slave on the only IDE channel on the MB (I have phillips set to Master currently but it is on the second pin slot of the cable). The RW drive is not recognized or shown by OS X. I can't even eject the drive (using the eject button on the drive itself) - it's almost like there is no power being supplied to it. I've been searching the forum and online but I can't find anything. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hey,

First of all, thanks a lot for the very complete and straightforward guide, Ahmad. It went really smooth, not like another update i tried which ended up in [yet another] OS X reinstall :/

Anyways, i feel 10.4.9 runs slower than 10.4.8... Anyone else notice this? Also, my XBench scores were reduced from ~63 to ~53 after installing the 10.4.9 update [on a clean install]. Updating the kernel made no difference, XBench virtually the same as 1

.4.9/8.8.1. Is there any explanation for this, or anything i could do to increase performance?

Specs:

p4 630, 3.0GHz w/ HT, 2MB cache.

1 GB ddr 333 RAM. 

PNY GeForce 6600 w/ 256MB RAM AGP [detected as PCI in System Profiler]

OS X installed on ATA HDD.

I can post the XBench results if they could be of any help...

Cheers