Update hackintosh 10.4.8 to 10.4.9 and 10.4.9 to 10.4.10 INTEL ONLY

Dr. Hurt

471 posts in this topic

This didn't work for me. 10.4.8 and 8.8.1 kernel. Not using any custom kexts apart from skge for Marvell Gigabit LAN.

Did guide exactly as stated. Kernel panic on bootup. Will try -v -f later and report exact error.

OH MY....

Well no boot flags will work since you have a kernel panic. Are you sure that you have done everything correctly??!!

This guide does not update the kernel so it's very unlikely that it will cause a kernel panic.

However, if you updated to 8.9.1 kernel by netkas, then delete appleintelccpupower.kext

by using Mac Drive.

Edit: read the last line in the kernel panic to see what caused the panic.

Your method is dead on. I've successfully updated from 10.4.8 to 10.4.9 following your guide on a Dell Latitude D600. It should be worth noting, however, that the BCM5071 built-in EtherNet driver hack did not survive and I will have to rebuild that this evening to get that machine back on the network.

All in all, way to go.

Works Great on my Asus-P5WDH E6600 Dual Core

Computernaam: Apple Development Platform

Computermodel: ADP2,1

Processornaam: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processorsnelheid: 2.4 GHz

Aantal processors: 0

Totaal aantal cores: 1

Geheugen: 2 GB

Bussnelheid: 1.07 GHz

L2-cache: 4 MB

Just started using Mac, don 't now how to take a screenshot..

Totally Worked! Thanks I couldn't find the delta update so I used Mac OSXUpd10.4.9Intel.dmg

Using Dell XPS m140

GMA 900 worked after DiaboliK.GMA900.Fixer.pkg.zip

Sigmatel HDA 9200 worked after reinstalling AppleHDAPatcher_v1.15 and applying my Dell.txt codec dump.

post-28443-1176850161_thumb.png

DO NOT USE IF USING TARGUA'S AUDIO AUTOPATCH I REBOOTED TO NO AUDIO TRIED TO REPAIR AND NOTHING

Using Dell XPS m140

GMA 900 worked after DiaboliK.GMA900.Fixer.pkg.zip

insert your install DVD and find the taurga audo patch and install it that should work

Hi

Thanks for this wonderful method. I was successful in updating from 10.4.8 to 10.4.9. However, my ATI 9800Pro seems to have lost the approporiate kext after the update:

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x4e48

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

So there is no CI/QE; I will need to figure out how to get CI/QE back,

Cool

I was able to upgrade to the 10.4.9 version using your guide.

Also, I did upgrade the kernel using latest Koolkal's utility (search on green demon).

Before upgrading to the latest kernel I was able to open the "About this Mac" menu item from the Apple menu, after doing so selecting that item will cause the session to close (without any warning) and get back to the Login window, so please be aware of this should you decide to go with the Kernel upgrade.

So far, everything works for me, except for QE / CI: both have known issues on the ThinkPad T43 (visual tearing when using the method to enable QE / CI). I decided to skip those steps in favor of a more stable experience with Mac OS.

Thanks for the guide, this one seems to be by far, the easiest way to upgrade to 10.4.9 :thumbsup_anim:

post-95933-1176904115_thumb.png

To those who have ATI9700/9800 cards and lost QE/CI after the 10.4.9 update:

A simple fix is to copy the 10.4.8 ATIRadeon9700.kext and ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin back into the /Systems/Library/Extensions

confirm overwrite, delete the kext cache, repair disk permission, and reboot

you should then get QE/CI back!

Cool

Your method is dead on. I've successfully updated from 10.4.8 to 10.4.9 following your guide on a Dell Latitude D600. It should be worth noting, however, that the BCM5071 built-in EtherNet driver hack did not survive and I will have to rebuild that this evening to get that machine back on the network.

All in all, way to go.

Well although this update worked for the Dell Latitude D600, it doesn't seem to yet be successful for the Dell Latitude C840 I have just performed it on. After once again following the instructions as annotated, I ran into an issue after the reboot where the machine will boot to the gray apple and the litte grayish pinwheel will spin, then for some unknown reason a thin line will appear at the bottom of the screen like a bad refresh rate was selected and the frozen image on the screen will fade away. This will leave me with a blank screen.

At this time I am attempting to determine what is causing this - if anyone else has encountered it please let me know. If I figure out I will report results back here. I am doing a -v -f as we speak.

### UPDATE ###

As I performed a F8 -v -f it ran it's course. Upon loading what looked to be NVidia drivers, even in console the grayish screen appeared and faded into the console like it was a realtime burn of the screen itself. I did see some errors regarding diskarb, but I am not concerned with those.

I reboot with a -v -x to see what else I might run into. One error that was notable was:

in6_ifattach_linklocal: failed to configure a link-local address on lo0 (errno=55)

in6_ifattach: lo0 failed to attach a linklocal address

I am researching this error now to see what resolution can be taken. For the timebeing, I will probably delete the NVidia kexts to see if I can boot the screen without an apparent kernel panic.

### UPDATE ###

Ok, so far as I can tell, when the 10.4.9 update was run, it apparently scheduled the system to default to the NVidia drivers that I believe I formerly deleted from the system. Because of this, it would scramble itself on boot. If you run into this problem when updating from 10.4.8 to 10.4.9 on the same or similar system, look at booting with an F8 and the -v -s commands. Type use the file modification options listed on the MOTD message that pops up atop the root# prompt. Then do type cd /system/library/extensions and do an ls -a . This will give you a listing of that directory. Look for ANY files beginning with NVDA and do a rm -rf on them. From there, all you should have to do is a reboot and the system should startup as normal.

### UPDATE ###

Question: Did anyone's update leave their system slow to accomplish simple point-and-click operations such as clicking on the Apple at top left and selecting "About This Mac"? Additionally, did anyone have their application open off-screen?

This guide is fully updated now. Do not worry from any posts below. I have included all the new kexts and files to backup to avoid as much problems as possible.

Requirements:

1) 10.4.9 Delta updater (from Apple's website)

2) 15-30 minutes of your time

Known issues (as far as I know):

Disk images fail to mount and iPods not being recognized. This has been fixed by backing-up 10.4.8 system.kext (included in the updated instructions).

GMA900 did not work after update (see notes below)

Seps:

1) Open up the terminal and type "sudo -s" then "your password" then the following (line by line):

cp /mach_kernel /old
cp -R /system/library/coreservices/loginwindow.app /
cp -R /system/library/extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext /
cp -R /system/library/extensions/AppleACPIplatform.kext /
cp -R /system/library/extensions/AppleAPIC.kext /
cp -R /system/library/extensions/IOATAFamily.kext /
cp -R /system/library/extensions/system.kext /

2) Keep terminal open.

3) Open disk utility and keep it open

4) Run the delta installer (AND DO NOT RESTART---IGNORE THE INSTALLER WINDOW)

5) Open terminal and type the following:

cp /old /mach_kernel
cp -R /loginwindow.app /system/library/coreservices/
cp -R /AppleSMBIOS.kext /system/library/extensions/
cp -R /AppleACPIplatform.kext /system/library/extensions/
cp -R /AppleAPIC.kext /system/library/extensions/
cp -R /IOATAFamily.kext /system/library/extensions/
cp -R /system.kext /system/library/extensions/
rm -rf /system/library/extensions.*

6) Open disk utility and repair permissions for your OS X partition

7) Pray and restart the system (unless you have GMA 900 --> read below)

8) Post pictures of your 10.4.9 :blink:

This has been tested on my computer and fully working. No problems until now.

GMA 900 users: (Do these steps after finishing above steps)

1) insert your JaS 10.4.8 DVD

2) navigate to system>installation>packages (on the DVD)

3) install JaS.10.4.8.GMA.900.support.pkg

4) repair permissions

5) reboot

Disclaimer:

Again, I am not responsible for any damage happening to you, your computer, your data or anything due to following my instructions. Different hardware configurations could still cause problems.

Thanks Amhad IT REALLY WORKS! Hehehehehe... I just had to Update some files after- But it went smoothly.. here's a shot of my 10.4.9 update

post-78972-1177350059_thumb.png

Nice to see my method working for most of the people. I really want to make an installer including 10.4.9 and the newest 8.9.1 kernel, but I don't have time :P . My finals start in May :(

how to do i go about looking for the system.kext on jas10.4.8 dvd.

clumsy me i didn't back up the system.kext. and now my dmg files ain't mounting.

i'll post a screenie when my system fully works

You need someone to send it to you by e-mail or something.

Instead you can use pacifist to get the kext from the intel package located on the DVD.

You need someone to send it to you by e-mail or something.

Instead you can use pacifist to get the kext from the intel package located on the DVD.

dude i've got the old 1 through the dvd.

but i have a problem. everytime i click the "about this mac" i get logged out just like that without any warning

any solutions for this bro?

thanks

dude i've got the old 1 through the dvd.

but i have a problem. everytime i click the "about this mac" i get logged out just like that without any warning

any solutions for this bro?

thanks

That means that you did not backup and replace the login window properly.

Just check the root of your mac partition for the loginwindow.app and and copy it to the core services folder. (Check my instructions)

Otherwise, get it off the 10.4.8 DVD from the 10.4.4.loginwindow package.

That means that you did not backup and replace the login window properly.

Just check the root of your mac partition for the loginwindow.app and and copy it to the core services folder. (Check my instructions)

Otherwise, get it off the 10.4.8 DVD from the 10.4.4.loginwindow package.

woot thanks a million bro it work's beautifully now

here's a screenie

post-78391-1177508997_thumb.jpg

For those who have no sound, here's a simple solution:

The update puts BACK into the extensions folder, AppleHDA.kext. So if that was one of the entensions that was deleted in the AppleAzalia audio install, it will cause it not to work. So to fix, drag the file to the trash. Drag the two extensions.kextcache and extensions.mkext to the trash and reboot.

Well, all I can tell you is that these instructions will seriously mess OS X up if you have and AMD, unless the AMD kernel has decryption function (which I really doubt). For AMD you need decrypts. I'm not really sure about the packages available for AMD right now.

I have an AMD X2 CPU. So to update i need to use the tubgirl update first? I saw that one perosn in this thread suceeded with an AMD. Does anyone know the steps I should take with AMD?

To update my AMD Athlon64 3200+, I followed the Intel instructions. I also backed up and restored the system.kext as well before rebooting.