[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

After seeing all the G5 case mods here, I am thinking of trying my had at making one. Though I do have a few questions, if anyone is willing or able to answer them I would really appreciate it.

First, a general Os X86 question. I figure if I end up doing this I might as well update my PC at the same time. I currently have an AMD 64 3800, and my question is; would it be better for me to upgrade to a dual core AMD or go for an Intel Duo Core? Is there a noticeable difference between the two in Os X?

Second, is it at all easier to fit a microATX in the G5 cases then a full form ATX? If so, any recommendations?

Third, skill wise how much is required to preform a g5 hack? While I do know my way around a soldering gun and Dremel I would not go so far as to say that I am an expert at either. From the pictures and descriptions of other peoples projects it seems that such a hack uses a lot of both tools.

-Thanks in advance

To answer your questions one at a time,

1. Definitely go for the core 2 Duo/945/965 chipset motherboard in my opinion if you want the least amount of hassle with upgrading/hardware. Have a look at the wiki and choose one that can be got working 100 %. This will take a load of hassle out of the project, but bare in mind not to go too crazy, you do not want to stray into Mac Pro territory price wise.

2. Whether you go for a full ATX board or mini ATX, the ports will not line up, so the chances are that you are going to have to cut the back of the case. To allow for future hardware expandability, you need to find a PC ATX motherboard tray and fix this into the G5 case. That way if you ever decide to upgrade your motherboard you will have no problems with IO panels lining up. So if you are going to those lengths, you might as well get a full ATX motherboard.

I used a Gigabyte 965-DQ6 mainboard and everything works although you need a sata DVD drive or adapter to install OSX. The Bad Axe II is also an excellent choice, but once again check the wiki & read the forums. There is loads of info here.

3. The one thing you need to do is collect all your components together, offer them up and take your time before you make any cuts. Always mark any areas to cut carefully and recheck your measurements, twice, before cutting. Once you have your board mounted you have plenty of space to think about upgrading cooling. That is the main advantage of the G5 case, the best potential cooling around + loads of space. You won't be disappointed you chose this case.

Take things one step at a time and you should be fine.

Thanks for the swift reply! I was not expecting to hear anything so quick. I think I am going to give it a go. It will give me a good excuse to finally upgrade some, if not all, components. Which is something that I have been meaning to do. I will definitely be back here as soon as I get a g5 case and some components. :(

Hi there. I finally completed my Hackintosh to working stadium, so I can use my PC and do final things to finish it. Anyway, I have a problem with frontpanel. Found pinout, connected so power-on button is working and LED is shining when PC is on, but: When I turn my PC on, it just normally starting-up, and then switch off in few seconds. Problem is, that when is connected Power-button ground on front panel and I start pc, it still hold power-on connected (of course that I released power button) and switch off. When I start PC again and immediately after that disconnect power-button ground cable from front panel, everything is ok. So I am asking if somebody met the same problem.

My mobo: MSI RS482M4-ILD

Revision of case and its front panel: No idea :thumbsup_anim:

Hi there. I finally completed my Hackintosh to working stadium, so I can use my PC and do final things to finish it. Anyway, I have a problem with frontpanel. Found pinout, connected so power-on button is working and LED is shining when PC is on, but: When I turn my PC on, it just normally starting-up, and then switch off in few seconds. Problem is, that when is connected Power-button ground on front panel and I start pc, it still hold power-on connected (of course that I released power button) and switch off. When I start PC again and immediately after that disconnect power-button ground cable from front panel, everything is ok. So I am asking if somebody met the same problem.

My mobo: MSI RS482M4-ILD

Revision of case and its front panel: No idea :thumbsup_anim:

ill respond to that with a quote:

Ok I've been reluctant to post this pic of the pinouts because...well I didn't make it...my engineering brother did.

but hopefully you can understand it.

The I/O board was the biggest pain in the ass for me

this thing refers to my motherboard

Everything works except for the audio port...i can hear out of it in windows but it just plain acts up and doesnt SEEM to detect properly...i'm not sure.

it's high res so u can see everything.

also disregard the power on i ended up using a multimeter and figuring out which leads turn the machine on when activated properly. Also the LED on the power button wont turn on...i found out the hard way that the IO board has some sort of weird switching system that if you try to connect it to a pc mobos led leads it will loop on an off over and over.

no biggie i rigged my own leds right above the button.

i hope it helps please dont ask me any more questions about it...i just installed it and forgot about it cuz it was such a friggen pain just for the power button alone.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/9673/fr...elpinoutuf6.jpg

PLEASE DON'T YELL AT ME IF YOU CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT...use it as a guide, and best of all...learn to work out your own solutions. I asked pple for help on this project too...but when it came down to the nitty gritty i figured out the solution on my own (ex: I had to determine where i wanted the psu and if it would work out...where i would place the hdd...how to route the cables around...what screws to use etc...) which can sometime take days. In the end though it is extremely satisfying.

Yes, it is possible, but not when you want to put to the floor PSU in original apple psu casing. So if you want to do this (as I did), mATX is the only way.

// depends on layout, but if you dont want to cut top floor under optical drive and HDD shell, regular full ATX mobo wont fit in when PSU in original PSU housing is downside

• 3 weeks later...

{censored}. the brass mobo standoffs that i bought don't screw into the wavemaster mobo tray. the standoffs are too big (diameter-wise) i can turn then maybe 1/2 a turn and they stop cold

the standoffs are standard size, i bought them on performance-pcs.com... right now i'm thinking i'll have to tap out the mobo threads? but i don't have a tap and die set, so i'm looking for alternatives.. do standoffs come in the smaller size?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Viper: Check american eBay. They sell there number of used or new G5 cases, or you can order directly from AllMac company. (www.allmac.com). Good for you that it is not overseas :wacko: Anyway, postage will cost something. Good luck

shaanky98: I am really interested in your step-by-step guide, backpanel is the only one thing which I miss on my almost finished hackintosh. So I will be happy for that.

Viper: Check american eBay. They sell there number of used or new G5 cases, or you can order directly from AllMac company. (www.allmac.com). Good for you that it is not overseas :rolleyes: Anyway, postage will cost something. Good luck

Thanks for the hint CZ*DarkLight, but can I trust this store? I found the case in there for US$ 200,00 without the cost to send it to me. Even without knowing the price of the Sedex, it's probably about US$ 100 cheaper then if I would pay for one here in Brazil.

• 1 month later...

Wow, nice work everyone on your projects - you've all inspired me to build my first hackintosh!

For the curious, these are my build parts so far...

Gigabye GA P35-DS4 rev 2.0

Intel Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz (looking for the G0 / SLACR, to overclock)

WD Raptor 74GB 16MB SATAII 10k rpm

GEFORCE 7600GT 256M DDR PCI-E

2GB of 1066 DDR2 ram (then later 2GB more)

Samsung SATA Black 20x DL DVDRW Drive

All enclosed in a never used Early 2005 G5 Powermac case off eBay scored for $145 - still in the box with the plastic cling protecting the case!

Cooling, I'm not sure what I'll be using yet - it really depends on the sound of the fans / temps I get when I push the processor - I'm looking for something around 3.2GHZ

I'll post more info when I get it started...

Oh, and this is my first build ever, I've been a Mac user till now

Gutting a G5. That article almost made me cry :lol: I feel so sorry for the guys parents who bought him such a nice gift....A high performance G5 replaced with a junky AMD motherboard and 2 dumb 36GB SCSI HDs. Look:

Before:

image001.jpg

After:

image007.jpg

Look at the complete wastage he did to this computer. I would he happy to buy an empty G5 case and mod it but gutting out a G5? *sob* I've always wanted a G5.

I finally got my G5 case but I'm still planning how to fit everything inside. That's wha I got so far (suggestions are welcome):

dsc00309pk7.jpg

1) Would be 2x80mm fans side by side and on top of them 2x120mm (one on top of the other)

2) Would be the place for the HDs, probably I'll borrow one from another case and modify it for better coolance

3) Would be the place for the PSU

The case I got came completely naked inside, so I also need to figure it out how to place the DVD drive and the front connections.

PS: Sorry for may bad english -_- The motherboard on the picture is a damaged one, just used for the picture.