RME HDSP MacOSX (x86) drivers released

Cebit

151 posts in this topic

The initial posts in this thread were about how & why the HDSP PCI (not PCIe) won't function properly in OSX with the RME-provided drivers. It only takes a sharp-minded user to make it happen again.

The initial posts in this thread were about how & why the HDSP PCI (not PCIe) won't function properly in OSX with the RME-provided drivers. It only takes a sharp-minded user to make it happen again.

The initial posts date back to 2007. RME has since updated their driver (2008) which works perfectly fine (unpatched) for 32-bit Snow Leopard (for me, at least).

• 7 months later...

Hi ...

In the series of "stupid questions",

but anyway :

I've got Snow Leopard installed in VirtualBox under Win XP Pro SP3 .

Will the HDSPPCIPatcher_0.1 make my HDSP Multiface 1 + PCI - card (not PCIe)

work in this combo ?

My "DAW" :

Motherboard :

AsusTek P5Q

CPU :

Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz

Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz

Display :

Integrated nVidia GeForce 8400GS

Main Memory :

Kingston 4Gb

Yours,

zergei W

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Meanwhile, someone help me try with the driver 1.73 and

the patch, I hope I do not leopard.Con splits the original driver (1.73) the card is detected, but the sound does not come out and volume sliders are at 0, unfortunately.

My hardware is:

Asus p5dh deluxe intel dual core 7300, 5gb ram

HRD 3 1 TB Samsung spintpoint

NVidia 8400 256mb card

Sound Card: RME HDSP 9632

Has anyone solved with my own hardware?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
Help help help....

:) I tried the patch, it says it can not find the driver 1.6,

can someone tell me why?

Can I use a newer driver version?

Sorry for my English ...

Thanks

I´ve the some problem (arch=i386... noway)

Some Hack-driver for SL that any know?

• 2 months later...

Hi all.

First of all I must excuse me for my not so well spoken English

I`ve installed Hazard 10.6.6i in AMD Phenom x4 965 with the Flags: {-v busratio=20 fsb=20000000}

So far it runs very well. Only my Soundcard: RME hdsp 9632 wont sound normal..

Ive tried the original drivers from RME -Page (hdsp_173_x86.gz). Installation was without any problems. It reboots, the programs start automatically and all seems to be ok.

BootLog Says (-v): WARNING: com.RME.driver.HammerfallDSP declares no kernel dependencies

-> what does it mean?

Now, when I open iTunes it sounds ok two BUT all 3-5 Seconds it does crackling. Its like the CPU is too slow or the soundcards buffer is too small?!

Then I've read here in Forum that 0xdeadbeef has programmed a Patch to fix this Problem.

So Ive installed the older Driver (hdsp_16_x86) and patched him. The Distortion is gone but crackling is present..

Has anyone an Idea what to do ???

My System:

MB: ASUS M4A87TD evo

RAM: 4GB DDR3 -> "About this MAC" shows DDR2

CPU: AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 Processor -> kext utility recognizes the CPU. In "About This MAC" its unknown CPU

Thank you very much!

• 3 months later...
hi all

so had anybody found a solution for SL-64bit kext for RME 9632 [PCI] ???

this card is the only thing that keeps me from booting in 64bit

many thanks

Aside from the aesthetical perspective on your process manager, I would not overestimate the boost you would get from switching your kernel from 32bit to 64bit. Although the kernel runs in 32bit many of the tasks are run in 64bit already now. As you know the mach-o kernel even supports generically more than 4GB main memory and runs aswell 32bit and 64bit tasks.

I am also running my kernel in 32bit for having the UAD-1 PCI cards running and for allowing my old school nVidia 7600 GT to run with 2x24" rather than only one. I'd rather get more RAM and a faster CPU.

greeeetz, x!

Did anyone tried it on Lion already?

why? Many of the major music software companies said Lion ain't compatible to their software at the moment. Do you really wanna be Apple's betatester? Lion is a beta at best atm. I would consider waiting at least 6 mths. My recommendation is: wait 12mths. It seems they didn't even yet fix their Firewire issues, that they are aware of since 2006.

Ableton, Steinberg, Native Instruments, Avid, M-Audio: all of them said, you'd better not update now. And you know what: I defo won't. Never change a running system... I can live quite good with Snow Leopard. Many of these so called new features (like fullscreen, pfffft...) can be used in Snow Leopard just by installing tiny plugins...

According to this: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11350 RME drivers seem not to be Lion compatible either.

So I suppose I can use SL for the next two years, but then Ableton, Native and all the others cease software support, so updating is req'd at a certain time and then I'd prefer to keep on using my RME rather than being peeved b/c of no available drivers and thus throwing it out of the window...

• 3 weeks later...
well, RME turns out to have a solid understanding of what their customers are interested in.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=60891

Closing and thus effectively censoring topics is a a really sustainable ancient german marketing approach,

I am gonna get an Apogee now...

I was toying with making an attempt at patching latest drivers for PCI use - as far as I can tell the only difference in the audio path for the older cards is the driver contains an integer-to floating-point conversion routine (PCI cards supply the audio data as integer and the driver converts to float, and the newer cards do this conversion in hardware, so the routine is now missing from the driver). However this is not a trivial job at all and would likely involve users having to upgrade their PCI firmware to the latest version using windows AND there would be no guarantee the mac driver would recognise the card. I CAN'T be responsible for users bricking their cards just because they want a Lion/64-bit upgrade, and I'm reluctant to take the risk of bricking my OWN card during development of the patch :blink:

I shall definitely look at the possibilities though, unfortunately my development hackintosh is dead at the moment. Stay tuned, and I shall post what I find, when I find it.

It really sucks that RME have hung Mac users with PCI expansions and hackintoshers out to dry - I gave them hell about it before they released the one working driver. Unfortunately EOL'ing a 10+ year old card isn't actually that bad for a company, what really gets me is that of course it is still supported in windows, and dropping the PCI support from the Mac driver involved removing 5 lines of C++ source code. I mean for God's sake, what is wrong with these people!

It really sucks that RME have hung Mac users with PCI expansions and hackintoshers out to dry - I gave them hell about it before they released the one working driver. Unfortunately EOL'ing a 10+ year old card isn't actually that bad for a company, what really gets me is that of course it is still supported in windows, and dropping the PCI support from the Mac driver involved removing 5 lines of C++ source code. I mean for God's sake, what is wrong with these people!

absolutely, man...

RME is STILL selling that 9632 card - so this is not EOL cycle. This is artificially EOL for Apple users, only. As you say: they actively had to remove code to drop support and that really looks like a b/s ripoff to force us to buy newer hardware.

RME could simply release the source code of that 1.7x driver

but hell I guess they are not going to. And hell yes: I am not going to buy RME anymore. Once I am pissed of a company there is no 2nd chance.

If you decide to temper with the current driver, just let us know, I suppose there are some ppl (like me) willing to test.

greeeetz, x!

p.s. I don't care if the driver is 32 or 64bit. My two UAD-1 cards will still require that 32bit kernel, anyway. 32bit is much more compatible and since most of the processes are run in 64bit, I really don't care if the kernel and the kexts are 32 or 64bit. I suppose I wouldn't even recognize the difference as long as I am not on solid state...

absolutely, man...

RME is STILL selling that 9632 card - so this is not EOL cycle. This is artificially EOL for Apple users, only. As you say: they actively had to remove code to drop support and that really looks like a b/s ripoff to force us to buy newer hardware.

RME could simply release the source code of that 1.7x driver

but hell I guess they are not going to. And hell yes: I am not going to buy RME anymore. Once I am pissed of a company there is no 2nd chance.

If you decide to temper with the current driver, just let us know, I suppose there are some ppl (like me) willing to test.

greeeetz, x!

GPL'ing the 1.73 driver itself and EOL'ing support would be the honourable thing to do - help legacy users and enthusiasts get every last mile out of their trusted hardware and get an unbelievable amount of goodwill. I don't think there is so much secret-sauce über-valuable intellectual property contained in a coreaudio driver, but getting any audio company to open-source anything is like getting blood out of a stone - it's just in their corporate nature to maintain control over everything.

That said, there is a working open-source ALSA driver ( and even a totalmix clone! ) for linux, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that some guru with enough driver experience and a bit of time could come up with an open-source coreaudio driver. The internal structure and logic of the xilinx chip must be exposed in that ALSA driver. It's been done before for other hackintosh hardware, why not for RME?

• 2 months later...

The RME is not shown in system preferences either. However it works flawless on 10.6.8. I recommend to try a different PCI slot (I know this from Gigabyte boards, that the first PCI slot does not work, although I didn't found an explanation for this yet).

all the best: and my recommendation: don't buy RME again. Imho they suck bigtime...

The RME is not shown in system preferences either. However it works flawless on 10.6.8. I recommend to try a different PCI slot (I know this from Gigabyte boards, that the first PCI slot does not work, although I didn't found an explanation for this yet).

all the best: and my recommendation: don't buy RME again. Imho they suck bigtime...

how exactly are they suck bug time? isn't that apple's fault? it most certainly is! because they are the ones without PCI interface.

BTW, i have 9632, and it works great with Lion, with the older driver under 32 bit, only few minor bugs (i've seen worst with other companies interfaces, with the newest update available, and some work some not, some have big issues), and this from driver that is 5 years old. so excuse me, but RME rules, Apple sucks, and for the other one complaining about pissed off by company, what about apple? don't they f878ck their customers on a daily basis?

BTW, all other RME interfaces that Does support osx entirely, have a very good drivers that does support OSX and Hackintoshes very well!

also one more thing, you can try pci to pci express adapter if you pci isn;t working correctly (thats what i did with my Powercore PCI interface)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

This is an old thread I know but anybody know if there is anyway to get the RME 9652 PCI card to work with 10.7.5 in 32bit? (not even sure if 10.7.5 will do 32 bit, I know earlier versions do but Ive got GTX 650 and would prefer native graphics driver which comes with 10.7.5 ) ? Been on 10.6.8 for donkeys years with a Q6600 and Asus P5w (solid rig loved it) but now just upgraded to i7 3770 and Asus P8Z68 gen3 MB, 16GB 10.8.5 but was gutted to find out RME have decided to not make a 64 bit driver for PCI 9652 card as new Mac Pro's don't have PCI slots (no support for Hackintosh either so very disappointed with RME and wont buy another thing from them after this decision as they are obviously firmly in bed with Apple and RME DO NOT appreciate that some of us have no choice but to go the Custom Mac route to keep our recoding gig going, they are so hell bent on making new stuff and making good gear obsolete that some of us can't afford to keep up) then they sting us with drivers. Sorry for Rant :) but this has me a bit riled, especially the attitude of Mr Daniel Fuchs at RME. 

I could just stick with 10.6.8 and get a another GPU that works with SL but not sure how well 10.6.8 will behave with Ivy Bridge. 10.6.8 seems to be working fine tho but no full graphics with the GTX 650. I only run logic pro 9 and lightroom on this rig, not bothered about other stuff working

I hope someone can chime in on this subject, maybe someone has ported an older version of the driver to work in 64 bit or summit