Cebit

151 posts in this topic

i tested this driver

sound is totally distorted, no pci device in system profiler

no chance to adjust the output with faders

with a little more development this driver will work

Edited by elRey

Hi there,

I installed this driver today. I can't get any audio output through it. I'm impressed you could even get some audio output through it.

To reply to your statements: Totalmix is included in this driver package.

Some questions for you people: have you flashed the card with new firmware? What cards are you using? Thanx

Hi, I have the HDSP PCI rev 1.9 with the latest firmware.

I can't get any audio output through it...

hm, well, I'm still in process of updating to 10.4.8 (still on development release), so you'll have to wait some time for my results. I hope there'll be something.

btw. I have 9632...

Edited by kejkz

Hi again,

I installed the latest semthex kernel. Now I get audio output from the Multiface. But as said before by elRey audio is totally distorted.

Strange... I'm still downloading, so nothing from me yet. Have you tried maybe to disable internal audio card? Is clicking same on every latency? What program are u using?

hope maybe even tommorow I will install new version, so through testing from my side (and little hacking if needed) is guaranteed...

Can some of you please recomend me good AGP card that have QE and CI? I need it just for uninterupted audio editing and operation, nothing else...

Thanks

Hi, any card with GF6600 and above I believe should do it.

Until Recently there were problems with cards holding 512MB RAM. I don't know what happened to that front so my suggestion would be a GF6600 with 128MB RAM or a 7600GS with 256MB RAM if you need more power for other tasks (ie gaming in windows).

I do my testing of HDSP drivers using Ableton Live 5.2 UB.

Using the newest firmware for my rme hammerfall hdsp 9632 audio card on OSX 10.4.8 with the Semthex nd-2_3 kernel, I can get audio out but it is very distorted as everyone has mentioned.

Edited by Mysta

Hi Guys,

first sorry for my english.

I am Austrian.

I testet it on 10.4.6 because i have a Intel Centrino (Only SSE2) and so QE won´t work on my GMA900 on 10.4.8.

Total Mixer is working on my Interface of Digiscratch, but i get no Audio Input or Output.

Hope that there will be a fix in next time, because after a hour working on OSX i want to kick my XP. ;)

Hi, any card with GF6600 and above I believe should do it.

:D Thanks a lot CC, I will look for something like that...

I have similar problems with 9632, audio output is distorted. But, i think that recording from analog and digital inputs is working fine. Recorded waves looks like they should. What are yours and others findings on this matter?

Guys, I'm thinking, this driver was released initialy for PowerPC in 2005, so any newer HDSP Firmware should not be 100% compatible with it.

I mean, this old driver could not be aware of changes in recent hardware design of the RME HDSP. I believe we should test this driver with older firmware and with kernels as close to the original Apple kernel as possible (DaemonES 8.8.1 kernel).

I've tried the attached firmware with DaemonES kernel but had no luck: distorted audio.

I'll try testing the recorded waveforms asap.

Info for the attached firmware:

Important notes:

This program updates PCI cards or CardBus cards of the RME Hammerfall DSP series to these version numbers:

HDSP PCI Rev. < 1.8: 14

HDSP CardBus: 14

HDSP PCI Rev. > 1.8: 52

HDSP CardBus 6-pol: 52

HDSP 9632: 152

HDSP 9652: 106

Copyright RME 06/2005

All rights reserved. Windows 2000/XP are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation. Hammerfall is a registered trademark of RME Germany.

fut_win_dsp_old.zip

Interesting idea, will try..rme guys says that new firmware is 100% compatible with old one...but who knows...

if you are downgrading firmware, make sure to first install driver (2.94.3 for windows) and after that downgrade firmware

edit: tested with firmare 1.52 for 9632 and the situation is same, unfortunatelly... fully distorted playback sound

maybe we can try changing iopcifamily.kext because hdsp kext reports unsatisfied dependancy...

Hi, new versions of this driver should hit the web in a couple of weeks due to the release of the HDSPe series of cards...

I believe this driver is problematic 100% and has never been tested by RME themselves...

We should wait a little bit longer...

(On the contrary with people having firewire/usb cards) I think we might be luckier in the future.

Well, it is certainly worth to wait some time for working version. I've tried changing IOPCIFamily.kext, but it's all the same, cracks and glitches all over. Working version of hdsp driver will give us even wider OS and audio program choices in the future...

According to:

http://messe.harmony-central.com/Musikmess.../New-PCI-E.html

the HDSPe series will be available at the end of March (now). The time is very close...

The previous version of the driver was tested only with the PCI-e cards and not the PCI ones. No wonder it sounds terrible...

PS. I Tried swapping IOPCIFamily.kext myself too, same results...

Some of you mentioned flashing the firmware. Does the new firmware tie the card to OSX and make it unusable for other OS'es? Is there any 'danger'?- except for the flashing go pear-shaped and brick the card...

no, there is no real danger if you are using Windows, it will work even with older (MME) drivers. But if you use linux, I can't recommend using new firmware, because there are still no Alsa drivers with new HDSP series functions and channel layout...