RME HDSP MacOSX (x86) drivers released

Cebit

151 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I have made a deal with some to trade my FW 410 and Pro Tools M-Powered (and a couple of other things) for their HDSP 9632. Now my questions are the following: 1 Can I flash the card with the software RME provides from my hackintosh? 2. Which is the file that has the driver (hdsp_171_x86.gz)?

-Thank You,

Fabricio

I have always used a windows machine to upgrade my firmware, but your driver is hdsp_171_x86.gz allright.

Don't worry, If they drop PCI support in future drivers, I'll just have to find the time to patch it back in. :)

Yeah I was just wondering as I just purchased an HDSP pci card from ebay to use with a 2nd daisy chained multiface. Will let you know if I run into any problems when it arrives. :D
An educated guess would tell me the chances of RME drivers having problems on Leopard are pretty small :-) I don't think OSX can actually tell the difference between a PCI & PCIe bus either, so as long as the PCI card is supported re: floating-point conversions, the actual driver shouldn't know the difference either. This is what foxed me when doing the initial driver patch - I couldn't for the life of me figure out how it could tell it was on the PCIe bus. Stupid me LOL

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Work very fine here, pc efi 5.1, Leopard 10.5.1, Original kernel, and 1.71 HDSP Drivers.

Cheers.

Héhé ,here too no problems with os 10.5.1 and HDSP9632 with 1.71 drivers and latest fut for windozs :-)

P.L.U.R

• 2 weeks later...

0xdeadbeef you're a proper legend mate!, amazing.. Going to try a digiface on HDSP via an ELAN PCMCIA/PCI adaptor. bet the PCMCIA/PCI adapter won't work! (as per the poor guy with the Ricoh)... but then.. I got a Motu 2408 mkIII I can use anyways via standard OSX drivers (version 1.1.1) if anyone's interested (the latest driver, I couldn't get to work)

Don't wanna hijack/change the flow of the thread but wondering if anyone has had any success with an emagic MT4 Midi interface, won't recognise at all just sits in patch mode and not visible via coremidi?/Unitor setup.. hours and hours spent so far

Any recommendations for other Midi interfaces which work would be very much appreciated?

• 3 weeks later...
An educated guess would tell me the chances of RME drivers having problems on Leopard are pretty small :-) I don't think OSX can actually tell the difference between a PCI & PCIe bus either, so as long as the PCI card is supported re: floating-point conversions, the actual driver shouldn't know the difference either. This is what foxed me when doing the initial driver patch - I couldn't for the life of me figure out how it could tell it was on the PCIe bus. Stupid me LOL

onboard Nvidia LAN (broken)

did u tried forcedeth.kext?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I installed JaS OS 10.4.8 then updated to 10.4.10.

I downloaded HDSP9632 drivers from RME and installed it. The card works perfectly with CoreAudio applications.

ASIO doesnt seem to work though. After testing it with Cubase SX3, the software can't seem to find the ASIO of the card.

Any help/guesses?

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys!

Unfortunately, I am not that lucky running a multiface I with pcmcia card under 10.5.2.

The pci-to-cardbus adapter is working correctly. I used driver rev8 from chun-nan: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=81036 ... (and meanwhile Ricoh cards work! @bongfury .. mine is a Ricoh too (475) and working)

But the problem is that the multiface isn't recognized as a multiface but a digiface (6). I am using the original RME Intel driver v.1.71.

When trying to flash the pcmcia card it says "no card installed".

'About This Mac' remains with "Function: Multimedia Device" and "Vendor: unknown".

I also tried to remove, reinstall the card several times and also installing drivers without installed card but after putting it back the same error appears - recognized as Digiface (6).

I am going to try it with 10.5.1 (maybe it is because of 10.5.2) but I don't believe chances are good. (by the way - I would really like to keep 10.5.2 as the overall performance went a lot better!)

Any idea how to get it working?

Thanks,

sdonner

0xdeadbeef:

As I read here - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry375242 - you use a Multiface with PCMCIA and a Ricoh 475 too.

I am going to try Tiger 10.4.8 (have to find a working one first) and if it doesn't work there either, the problem shouldn't be the RME driver but something with my configuration (as yours is running). But if it does work then probably the official driver (1.71) is the basic problem on Leo + PCMCIA. Somewhere on the official forum, one of the RME guys said there is no driver support for PCI on Intel based machines (as a real Intel mac doesn't have pci) but as we all know there are a lot of people here confirming that v.1.71 works nevertheless (also with Leo). Maybe this is because - as you said - Leo can't tell a difference between PCI or PCI-e or at least it doesn't matter. But what about the difference between pcmcia and cardbus? There are no Intel macs with pcmcia, so there is no official support too and maybe that doesn't work with 1.71 and Leo.

But the real question: If the RME driver is the problem, will there be anything we/you could do about it?

edit: I mean the difference between pcmcia and express card of course.. pcmcia and cardbus is the same :)

I haven't used these things under Leo at all, but the fact that your card is being reported, but as the wrong type is truly bizarre. :rolleyes:

When I meant with "OSX can't tell the difference between PCI & PCIe", was that a client driver of the main bus drivers (such as the RME driver) shouldn't be able to tell the difference as to the bus they're hooked onto - they should see exactly the same interface to the parent nub.

If there was a bug in the driver stack through to the card hardware, it's very likely it would bomb rather than report wrong data - it's most likely to be a direct misunderstanding between the RME driver and the Multiface- I mean the bus drivers don't know what card they're talking to at all.

If you are trying to upgrade your f/w, please, please don't do it on a Hackintosh - if things are a bit sick, you could very easily brick your card - find a real mac, or a PC and do it there, then test again on the Hack.

As a last resort, clean & check all the cable & socket contacts in case of a floating digital signal, or something.

hey!

first, thanks for your answer!

the connection is not the problem as it works perfectly in windows.

by now, I installed 10.4.8 successfully but just some minutes ago I have wanted to install your driver for the pci-to-cardbus adapter but have had to realize the thread is gone?! (maybe because of the forum update)

now, the interesting thing is: as I couldn't find it I tried again with Chun-Nan's driver (this time for tiger of course) and voîla - the same problem as in leopard. now as this is the only difference to your setup (and yours is working) maybe my problems in leopard are just some properly working kexts for the adapter.

I would really like to try the drivers you are using in tiger, so do you still have them? where can I get them? like I said, the thread is gone (it's the link I posted in #93).

• 2 weeks later...

I have an RME Digi 9652 from before the intel mac generation, no pci is found when I look in "about this mac"I have tried all firmware drivers possible , I have also tried to change the chip called eprom52 using the M52(Mac) and the(w52)windows with no luck.

Can anyone help

if not what are the exact reference of the cards working with osx86 as there are various models of HDSP9632/52

Thanks

I have an RME Digi 9652 from before the intel mac generation, no pci is found when I look in "about this mac"
It's the same for me with my HDSP 9632. No PCI found, and it doesn't show up in "About this mac", but it works anyway. Your 9652 doesn't work? Have you tried to simply install the RME drivers (if avaliable for your card)?

• 4 months later...
I have an RME Digi 9652 from before the intel mac generation, no pci is found when I look in "about this mac"I have tried all firmware drivers possible , I have also tried to change the chip called eprom52 using the M52(Mac) and the(w52)windows with no luck.

Can anyone help

if not what are the exact reference of the cards working with osx86 as there are various models of HDSP9632/52

Thanks

Unfortunately the old DIGI series don't work in hackintosh (or in any modern 64bit OSes) :censored2:

They're 10 years old hardware anyway without any means to upgrade the firmware so I doubt RME is interested in supporting them anymore. Bought myself a RME Multiface with PCI HDSP card because of that.

On the other note, has anyone had any problems with TotalMix? My volume controls seem to act pretty much without any kind of logic (when turning the volume down, it sometimes just gets louder etc.) Everything works normally in Windows. I have tubgirl 10.4.10, the newest drivers from RME and I've upgraded the card's firmware to the latest. Could it be that I'm using an AMD based system? Otherwise everything works fine :)