Has Vista fullfilled your expectations?

cringemaster

Almost a month after its release, Has Vista fulfilled your expectations?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Fullfilled?

• Very Fullfiled - Its AMAZING, Worth the wait!
    • Fullfiled - Nice new features...
    • Neither Fulfilled nor Disappointed - Nice update, but could've been better
    • Disappointed - Kinda hoping for more...
    • Very Disappointed - It took six years for THIS?
    • (null) Have not used Windows Vista - Just want to see the polls
  2. 2. Have you switched or planning to switch?

• Yes, I have switched to Vista
    • No, I have not switched to Vista
    • Yes, I plan on getting Vista
    • No, I do not plan on getting Vista
    • (null) Just want to see the polls
  3. 3. What features fulfilled or disappointed your expectations (According to the End-User features on Wikipedia)

• 1 - User Interface - Fulfilled
    • 1 - User Interface - Disappointed
    • 2 - Search - Fulfilled
    • 2 - Search - Disappointed
    • 3 - Sidebar - Fulfilled
    • 3 - Sidebar - Disappointed
    • 4 - IE7 - Fulfilled
    • 4 - IE7 - Disappointed
    • 5 - Media Player/Media Center - Fulfilled
    • 5 - Media Player/Media Center - Disappointed
    • 6 - Update - Fulfilled
    • 6 - Update - Disappointed
    • 7 - Security - Fulfilled
    • 7 - Security - Disappointed
    • 8 - Editions and Pricing - Fulfilled
    • 8 - Editions and Pricing - Disappointed
    • (null) Have not used Windows Vista - Just want to see the polls

56 posts in this topic

supernovafan,

Something is already beginning to change:

http://www.dellideastorm.com/

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global....;l=en&s=gen

This is a step in the right direction, but I couldn't help but notice that big fat Dell recommendation for Vista Business on the top of the page on the second link :wacko:

Anyway, I hope this gets the ball rolling.

I'd have to say that Vista exceeded my expectations only because all the reviews regarding it made it out to be some kind of clunky OS from the mid 90s. It does use about 300 MB of RAM on boot with a full Aero GUI but I got it down to around 180 MB. Of course that isn't as good as XP's 60 - 100 MB on boot but I guess that's the price of a fancy GUI. It feels more like a stepping stone towards something else to me and the Price Tag is absoloute bollox. It doesn't feel like OS X at all.

And as a side note, People who accuse Microsoft of being a Monopoly really need to look up what a Monopoly is.

There really is no excuse not to and not doing so just makes you look like a tit.

Hey all,

Vista came OEM on my hp pavillion, after playing around with it (and getting pissed that OS X won't install without corrupting the Vista boot files), I don't think it's HORRIBLE... but it is definitely Windows - Flashy GUI, gutted inside.

Windows users will get used to it, enjoy it, and start to really defend it. OS X and Linux users will continue to stand back and laugh as the extra 10 minutes it took them to install the OS, will save them MANY hours of phone sex with Microsoft Tech Support.

Just my opinion.

Nd

Edited by NdofTaWorld

I'd have to say that Vista exceeded my expectations only because all the reviews regarding it made it out to be some kind of clunky OS from the mid 90s. It does use about 300 MB of RAM on boot with a full Aero GUI but I got it down to around 180 MB. Of course that isn't as good as XP's 60 - 100 MB on boot but I guess that's the price of a fancy GUI. It feels more like a stepping stone towards something else to me and the Price Tag is absoloute bollox. It doesn't feel like OS X at all.

And as a side note, People who accuse Microsoft of being a Monopoly really need to look up what a Monopoly is.

There really is no excuse not to and not doing so just makes you look like a tit.

I don't understand why MS apologists have to resort to calling others names instead of providing intelligent debate.

By the way I did look it up and here it is right off the google search "define monopoly" for your information:

(economics) a market in which there are many buyers but only one seller; "a monopoly on silver"; "when you have a monopoly you can ask any price you like"

So as I mentioned in my post, there are businesses that I work with that could not afford to be in business were it not for Windows. For them there is only one seller who can ask for whatever price they want. So for all intents and purposes they are a monopoly.

Regardless MS is not a monopoly in the strictest sense because competitors exist, but they are dangerously close to it. And I'm sorry if you have your head so far up MS' rear end to realize that.

And in case you're wondering I'm not an Apple fanboy by any means and I really don't care it MS ends up ruling the world, I've made a living dealing with MS problems long before I even touched a MAC.

How is the 'desktop engine' a 'fake' ?

SP3 ? Err, you might take that back after reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_windows_vista

how you call something that it's not what it's claimed to be? a fake

now, you seriously say that those are improvements? wmp media center {censored} etc...those r just addons to hide the truth: my pc burns like hell running vista but there aren't any improvemets in speed; the user interface suffers the same bugs as prevous windows versions, things that a true accelerated desktop doesn't have (look aiglx or quartz); the unix subsystem is unusabe, i tried to run/compile a stupid hello world program and it won't to.

and so on and so on.

do you still say vista is cool? ok it's cool but this is the results of 6 year of work man, that's why i say it seems a mere update

do you want the crappy aero-like theme? there is one similar for xp so keep xp

disclamer: i don't wanna bash anyone anithing it's just an objective review by an old unsadisfied windows user

By the way I did look it up and here it is right off the google search "define monopoly" for your information:

(economics) a market in which there are many buyers but only one seller; "a monopoly on silver"; "when you have a monopoly you can ask any price you like"

Now try and understand the concept of a Monopoly. Apparently I'm a Microsoft Apologist even though my Buissness runs on a Linux soloution. I had/have the choice of going Microsoft but fortunately for me I don't live in a world where there are no other viable soloutions. In other words I don't live in a world where it's Microsoft or go out of buissness. The fact that buissness' around the world prefer Microsoft soloutions does not make Microsoft a Monopoly, It makes them good at developing software that buissness' can use and good at marketing it.

Regardless MS is not a monopoly in the strictest sense because competitors exist, but they are dangerously close to it.

That was my only gripe with your previous post which concluded that they are a Monopoly. You cannot be kinda a Monopoly. If competitors exist then you are not a Monopoly.

You may think I have my head up MS's behind, But atleast I don't have it up my own ...

Edited by Rez.

Now try and understand the concept of a Monopoly. Apparently I'm a Microsoft Apologist even though my Buissness runs on a Linux soloution. I had/have the choice of going Microsoft but fortunately for me I don't live in a world where there are no other viable soloutions. In other words I don't live in a world where it's Microsoft or go out of buissness. The fact that buissness' around the world prefer Microsoft soloutions does not make Microsoft a Monopoly, It makes them good at developing software that buissness' can use and good at marketing it.

That was my only gripe with your previous post which concluded that they are a Monopoly. You cannot be kinda a Monopoly. If competitors exist then you are not a Monopoly.

You may think I have my head up MS's behind, But atleast I don't have it up my own ...

The fact that you make this out to be a black and white issue is ridiculous and totally misses the point. Do you just as well conclude that if you catch some virus and your throat begins to feel funny, its not a cold because you haven't started coughing?

No Microsoft is not a monopoly in strict legal terms, but we, as in industry, are continuing down a very slippery slope putting all our collective eggs in one basket, so to speak.

I'm glad to hear that you have wisely decided to choose not to use Microsoft in your business. However as you claim that businesses are choosing Microsoft because they prefer it or because of superior partnering ability is bunk. I can name over 10 businesses off the top of my head that are smaller guys, with small or no IT departments, who would prefer not to deal with MS but cannot because the 3rd party software that runs their business is written to run on Windows. Many smaller medical and financial institutions run this way, even some retail and NFP organizations. Now at least I can take my head out of you know where long and far enough to realize this dependency could be a bad thing for them in the long run.

And if you want to keep up the name calling, go right ahead, but it's just going to make you sound like a jerk.

I've been accused of being a Microsoft Apologist and of having my head up MS's bum, If there were a Jerk contest going on, you are a contender for first prize. But that is neither here nor there.

The fact is that in your original post you called Microsoft a Monopoly. Not a half Monopoly or a Pseudo Monopoly or a .... I simply pointed out the idiocy of that statement. It was only in your second post that (Presumably after you actually looked up the definition of a Monopoly) that you changed your tune to "MS is sort of a Monopoly and slippery slopes and what nots." I don't have a problem with that second assertion although I don't agree with it - But hey that's your opinion.

What people are going to have to realize sooner or later is that not everything that happens on a Microsoft platform is MS's fault. I feel sorry for those 10 buissness' you know that would rather not deal with MS but have to because they use software that was written for Windows. That isn't MS's fault. Not being able to use a piece of Hardware on Linux becasue the Vendor does not support Linux Drivers is not MS's fault. Not being able to use Autocad natively on a Linux flavour or even OS X because Autodesk does not write programs for non Windows platforms is not MS's fault. MS is the majority right now, Maybe in the future that will change. It won't untill all the other players quit their whining and step up to the plate. If MS is a Monopoly, It's because we make it one by continually choosing to use it and continually developing for it.

I've been accused of being a Microsoft Apologist

You sound like one.

If MS is a Monopoly, It's because we make it one by continually choosing to use it and continually developing for it.

Thank you, that's precisely what I'm alerting people to. Now did that require all the name calling?

You sound like one.

Oh well, That's your opinion.

Thank you, that's precisely what I'm alerting people to. Now did that require all the name calling?

No it wasn't but I could ask you the same thing.

Cheers.

Poor excuse. OS X is at least the equivalent of Vista Ultimate (as to features) but sells for a lot less and serves all the needs you mention just fine.
No, it's not a poor excuse and you'd probably call every reason a poor excuse. Also, OS X isn't the equivalent to Ultimate.

No, it's not a poor excuse and you'd probably call every reason a poor excuse. Also, OS X isn't the equivalent to Ultimate.

That and the fact that it doesnt sell for less, it doesnt sell at all without a apple computer with it.... so thats just silly (not to you robotskip, Alessandro17)

Indeed. OS X has a lot more.

That and the fact that it doesnt sell for less, it doesnt sell at all without a apple computer with it.... so thats just silly (not to you robotskip, Alessandro17)

It doesn't sell for less?

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/it...&nplm=MA453

Eur 129.00

Vista:

http://www.tdshop.it/Negozio.asp?CodProdot...SottoCategoria=

Eur 517.24 (special offer)

Who told that you can't buy OS X separately? You can only install it on Apple hardware (normally), but that has nothing to do with price and quality of the OS.

I'm a little disappointed with IE7. I liked the feature in FF where you can tap '/' and it automatically starts searching what you type on your keybord...

Wow, I never realized this feature....

You made my FF experience even better...

Vista didn't really meet up with my expectations, but the final was a lot better then some of the betas that I had.

It's a step in the semi-right direction, but Microsoft still needs to work on it a bit.